PDA

View Full Version : 2.3t starting issue

Domestic Disturbance
11-25-2012, 01:49 PM
I have a 2.3t svo that is having starting problems. It takes about 20-30 seconds before it finally fires up. Other than that car runs great. Going to check the fuel pressure and relay but was wondering if these had any other issues I should look at if fuel pumps arent the issue?

sparkles
11-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Ford circles their problems.

Deimos
11-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Was the fuel pressure maintaining the proper reading? Did the pressure fall right away? Filter clogged? Won't be a relay. Did pump pruning the key help with the start issue?

86svo9L
11-25-2012, 04:19 PM
It could also be timing if you check the other items and they check out. Stock is 10* base. These engines usually fire off right away. If you have any questions or need any help let me know. There is literally nothing I have not had off of these things or replaced.

86svo9L
11-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Other good places to start just with the car in general. Replace all the vacuum lines, fuel filter, clean the IAC, get the reinforced steel valve cover gasket(they usually leak at the back corner) get Motorcraft brand plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and PCV valve. Part store PCV valves will allow pressure past, (Motorcraft PCV should be the ONLY brand on the car), replace the upper and lower intercooler hoses, get a compressor bypass kit. I am sure there are a few other things I am forgetting.

snickerlicker
11-25-2012, 05:16 PM
I have a 2.3t svo that is having starting problems. It takes about 20-30 seconds before it finally fires up. Other than that car runs great. Going to check the fuel pressure and relay but was wondering if these had any other issues I should look at if fuel pumps arent the issue?

Another Mustang? Smart man. Fuel pressure should tell the story, maybe have some injectors bleeding off.

AutoMods
11-25-2012, 05:55 PM
some cars look at a coolant temp sensor and go through a cold start fueling procedure. if that sensor is bad, it could run rough until it starts warming up

Deimos
11-25-2012, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=ImportEvolution;191186]some cars look at a coolant temp sensor and go through a cold start fueling procedure. if that sensor is bad, it could run rough until it starts warming up[/QU
Yep but he didn't mention any excessive rich fuel smell. He just needs to follow the tests

LT1Dan
11-25-2012, 06:21 PM

This.

snickerlicker
11-25-2012, 06:29 PM

This.

Says the guys with the mullet mobiles...:)

AutoMods
11-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Yep but he didn't mention any excessive rich fuel smell. He just needs to follow the tests

its an old ford, i'm sure there are plenty of fuel and oil smells coming from it

Deimos
11-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Lol

sparkles
11-25-2012, 06:43 PM
...that have no problems starting, idling, or putting a stomping on some rustangs.

LT1Dan
11-25-2012, 06:49 PM

At least my mullet mobile starts reliably.

for now

snickerlicker
11-25-2012, 06:55 PM
At least my mullet mobile starts reliably.

for now

Your opti will crap out for sure now..

snickerlicker
11-25-2012, 06:56 PM
...that have no problems starting, idling, or putting a stomping on some rustangs.

And then you woke up from your wet dream..

LT1Dan
11-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Your opti will crap out for sure now..

If my car doesn't start in the spring I'll be sending you the bill for an opti.

snickerlicker
11-25-2012, 07:01 PM
If my car doesn't start in the spring I'll be sending you the bill for an opti.

My neighbor could fix it for you quickly, he's gotten really good at it. I just shake my head and wonder WTF were they thinking?!

LT1Dan
11-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I ask myself the same thing at least once every summer.

sparkles
11-25-2012, 07:57 PM
And then you woke up from your wet dream..
Spoken like a true ford fanboi that's been doored by a GM or 2.

Domestic Disturbance
11-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Well guys the fuel pressure checks out. A steady 40psi past the regulator. Turn the car off and then it takes a long time to start again. Other than that the car runs great. No misses, idles smooth, etc. Only other thing is when it goes to ~14psi on factory boost gauge at WOT sometimes the service engine light will pop on, but if I turn it to the "unleaded" setting which limits it to 7psi I wont get that warning at WOT.

Unless its an injector issue though it has to be ignition I would think. That or a faulty computer which seems to be common. Timing or a computer would usually not want to stay running or be choppy wouldn't it? Could a TFI module be effecting it? Pretty stumped honestly. As it sits the car now has new plugs, fuel filter, oil, and cleaned out the intercooler. Probably do a cap, rotor, and wires next and get the easy maintenance taken care of.

86svo9L
11-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Normally when the TFI goes the car will die. Get a timing light on it and check to see if its at the stock 10*. Ensure the pumps are not falling off under boost, you will see 1psi per pound of boost(14lbs of boost = 54psi of fuel pressure), most guys will rig the gauge into the car somehow and take a quick spin. If you do not see that then there is a problem with the pumps. Do a tuneup with only Motorcraft parts, to include the PCV. Clean out the IAC. Change every vacuum line on the car, they tend to dry rot a bit behind the firewall cover. You could also have some injectors that need work. Yours has 30lb injectors, but if you find an LA3 ecm and a set of 35lb injectors you can see a nice increase.

snickerlicker
11-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Well guys the fuel pressure checks out. A steady 40psi past the regulator. Turn the car off and then it takes a long time to start again. Other than that the car runs great. No misses, idles smooth, etc. Only other thing is when it goes to ~14psi on factory boost gauge at WOT sometimes the service engine light will pop on, but if I turn it to the "unleaded" setting which limits it to 7psi I wont get that warning at WOT.

Unless its an injector issue though it has to be ignition I would think. That or a faulty computer which seems to be common. Timing or a computer would usually not want to stay running or be choppy wouldn't it? Could a TFI module be effecting it? Pretty stumped honestly. As it sits the car now has new plugs, fuel filter, oil, and cleaned out the intercooler. Probably do a cap, rotor, and wires next and get the easy maintenance taken care of.

How long does it hold that pressure after you turn the car off? Watch that and see what it does.

slow ride
11-26-2012, 06:44 AM
Yea, if it bleeds down fast you either have a leaky injector, regulator, line or fuel pump check valve permitted it's like most return style fuel systems. Ryan could probably test/clean the injectors if needed.

Domestic Disturbance
11-26-2012, 02:29 PM
With the car running, cycling the ignition off and back on and the problem still persists. In that 2 second pressure didn't change but car still won't start. Would the injectors bleed off that fast? I'll check timing next when i do wires etc.

I'm trying to keep everything Ford/motorcraft. Its seems these cars ate finicky with outside brands. That and the car is low miles enough to just keep it as oem as possible

AutoMods
11-26-2012, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't think it would matter if your pump or injectors are bleeding off pressure; as long as your pressure at the rail is right during cranking or idle it will inject the right amount of fuel.

snickerlicker
11-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't think it would matter if your pump or injectors are bleeding off pressure; as long as your pressure at the rail is right during cranking or idle it will inject the right amount of fuel.

Not with an injector bleeding down fuel into the cylinder and flooding it.

snickerlicker
11-26-2012, 03:06 PM
With the car running, cycling the ignition off and back on and the problem still persists. In that 2 second pressure didn't change but car still won't start. Would the injectors bleed off that fast? I'll check timing next when i do wires etc.

I'm trying to keep everything Ford/motorcraft. Its seems these cars ate finicky with outside brands. That and the car is low miles enough to just keep it as oem as possible

Check the pressure after about 5-10 minutes of sitting. Not after 2 seconds. Ohm the coolant temp sensor, see if its in spec.

86svo9L
11-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Along with checking the timing and everything else mentioned check to ensure the timing belt did not jump a tooth, who knows when the last time it was changed and it has been known to happen. Just a fyi the distributor hold down is a pain in the ass, remove the alternator before trying to snake in there, it will help a lot.

AutoMods
11-26-2012, 04:54 PM

Oh yes. I could see that possibly causing a problem. how long could the rings hold fuel up in the cylinder?

not sure how good factory fuel setups hold pressure but my cars always bleed from 43psi down to 30 or so within a few minutes and than slowly from there. That is with walbro 255 and both fuelab and aeromotive regulators

Scott
11-27-2012, 07:16 AM

If an injector is bleeding down that bad I would imagine you could see/smell gas on the dipstick