PDA

View Full Version : Pheasants

sparkles
11-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Might be a long shot, but was curious about what, if any of you guys hunt, type of bird counts any of you all have been seeing. Most people are pretty secretive about their hunting and fishing spots, especially if they are producing game where others aren't. I've heard West of CR is producing some higher DNR counts, but nobody is saying where.

AutoMods
11-23-2012, 06:44 PM
secrets ??? grudge hunting ???

sparkles
11-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Do you have to try or does it just come naturally?

sLoWnStEaDy
11-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Haven't seen shitbin the last few years... when we had our 300~ acres in solon about 10 years ago, you could throw a rock and 9 times out of 10 spook up some roosters. Started going down hill in 05-06, probably seen a dozen or so total in the last 3-4 years. Getting pretty bad, I know quite a few people that are actually "stocking" their fields or whatever it's called. Pretty lame if you ask me but, ya didn't so... I did see a handful the other day when I was looking at a house in Atkins, running the ditch right off of 30

AutoMods
11-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Do you have to try or does it just come naturally?

all natural and not ashamed

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgZGxkRoMzuV_LShYtHXF4_vw-J_VfqwjtxmiTAZu1aGL9y-OJSoEAWNY9qA

86svo9L
11-23-2012, 08:14 PM
I usually go back to the area I grew up to hunt. That being the NW corner of Iowa out in bumfuck nowhere. Have not made it up there in the last 7 or 8 years for hunting though, generally I just go up to visit old friends but always see plenty of game running around.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-23-2012, 08:36 PM
I've got pheasant on and around my land but I mostly coyote hunt

sparkles
11-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Last 2 weeks, I've been down in Warren county.
Last Sat:
Today's bag:

tylers88
11-24-2012, 08:57 PM
I have seen more in the ditches this years but I worked the entire opening weekend so I wont even go out this year. The last few years have been nature hikes with guns.

speedmaster85
11-28-2012, 07:28 PM
I went out yesterday after work with the dog by elkart and didn't see one pheasant, hen or roaster. I usually hunt pheasants out west between coon rapids and dension. But after 2 years ago not seeing anything. I haven't been back out to see if they have came back around. Plus the drive has gotten expensive so I'm looking for places to hunt near des moines area.

Looking good sparkles. Seeing this on fb made me want to go out and see what I could kick up with the dog. Thanks for getting my butt motivated to hunt. Work has been kicking me down this season. You going slug hunting this year sparkles?

sparkles
11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Not sure yet to be honest. Hit me up if you want to kick up some birds sometime. You were probably where I took the kid on Thanksgiving. Erington Marsh? We only saw 1 hen on the South side of the WMA.

speedmaster85
11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Yea I think so. By Ankeny Ike's(sp) shooting range. I was out driving this summer and drove by it and decided to go back during season. I will have to take you up on that some time. I'm still working with my dog on what to do. I'm little scared to take her out with others until I get her used to hunting. I don't want to take her out and ruin a hunt for someone. I have yet to get her on a live bird. She did good yesterday. Still having problems in the tall stuff. She chickens out and follows my path instead of making her own. So I'm still working on her. Luckily it is dry right now. I have found she doesn't like water too well.

When do you normally go? Weekend?

sparkles
11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Saturdays.