PDA

View Full Version : New guy

medmovement11
11-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Well i'm new to this forum and new to modifying cars. I have a 2004 Mazda 6 I 2.3 bone stock.. not looking to blow doors off. looking for more of good sound clean custom ride. any advice is greatly appreciated and definitely wanted.

AutoMods
11-10-2012, 11:18 AM
welcome... are you going for looks, handling or horsepower?

medmovement11
11-10-2012, 11:33 AM
all 3. horsepower was first concern no idea what would be a good start. I've just been scratching the surface of apperance new grill tinted tail lights. possibly rims and new headlights soon.

AutoMods
11-10-2012, 12:07 PM
thats not the turbo model is it?

medmovement11
11-10-2012, 12:16 PM
nope just the mazda 6 I 2.3

sparkles
11-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Put an LT1 in it. That would be a good start.

Deimos
11-10-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty sure they make a cheap turbo swap for them

FiFdYnUtZ
11-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Who did yer taillights?

AutoMods
11-10-2012, 07:50 PM
how much horsepower do you want to add ?

LT1Dan
11-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Put an LT1 in it. That would be a good start.

He sounds like a beginner, not good advice. No way some noob can handle that kind of power. I would recommend a TBI swap.

Clinical
11-10-2012, 11:40 PM
He sounds like a beginner, not good advice. No way some noob can handle that kind of power. I would recommend a TBI swap.
305tbi out of a third gen, LO3 for life.

Anyway to be serious - I'll be blunt. You have what is probably a good daily driver.
You're new to modifying cars so I'll just tell you straight up that the best thing for you to do would be to enjoy having a nice reliable daily driver - save your money and buy a better project platform.
Sure it's probably possible to do something "radical" and turbo your car, but it likely doesn't have a big enough aftermarket to be doable by someone not knowing what they're doing. I had a v6 mustang that I started my whole car interest thing with, and I had to learn with it that it'd just be wasted time and money for me to mess with it.

The only thing I'd do with something like your car is maybe suspension odds and ends if I wanted to autocross it a bit - I know I've read that the mazda 6's of your year have pretty good handling for being full size sedans, and I know a few people do like to autocross them. However being that you said you're after horsepower - it just probably would not be in your best interest to try to squeeze power out of your car.

Otherwise like I said - maybe just find a cheap 2nd car for a project.
A few cars you should be able to find for around $2000 or less that would make enjoyable cars that have a good aftermarket/performance following and would be relatively easy to learn/get into:
Domestics:
Third Gen Firebird/Camaro
Foxbody Mustang
S10's - not to hard to swap something like a sbc into, usually are a couple decently priced v8 s10's on CL too.
Grand Prix GTP/Regal GS - basically would be kind of what you already have, but faster stock and with a decent aftermarket. Not too bad to work on.

Imports
240sx - might be hard to find one without "drift/rice tax" - but sometimes there are decent deals.
Eclipse / Talon / Laser - Just make sure it's a turbo model, even the 4g63 n/a models are a bit of a chore to convert to turbo.
Integras or Pre 2000 civics - again will be hard to find one for a decent price with the "rice tax" but easily modded - super easy to work on.. just don't get one and be a typical honda guy with a fartcan and intake and nothing else.

Anyway, probably missing a few candidates from my vehicle suggestions but you get my point.
Theres my helpful post for this year... they really should keep me busy away from the computer at work.. I get bored.

sparkles
11-11-2012, 08:38 AM
just don't get one and be a typical honda guy with a fartcan and intake and nothing else.
Why not? That is the shiznit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NkmX1u5nkr8

AutoMods
11-11-2012, 11:24 AM
pretty much what clinical said, you might be able to add 15whp with an exhaust and intake, anything above that will be getting expensive with small returns. that platform is not well supported for making power. only thing cheap with big gains would be nitrous for a 50-75 shot

don't buy one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGWgvJN1_8&feature=em-unknown-vrecs

BGjohnson
11-11-2012, 11:36 AM
The 2.3 is an awesome engine, just make it handle a little better and I think you'll be happy. Enjoy the reliability and gas mileage.

How picky those mazdas are, I wouldn't even do a cold air intake.

85XR7Project
11-11-2012, 01:55 PM
there is only enough room on this forum for one guy with a boring car.