PDA

View Full Version : The LT1 is back bitches!

snickerlicker
10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
LT1DAN is happy.

http://wot.motortrend.com/next-gen-lt1-62-liter-v8-for-2014-corvette-revealed-with-450-hp-new-tech-280365.html

Clinical
10-24-2012, 12:07 PM
What, no optispark?! Well now it's just NOT cool anymore!

snickerlicker
10-24-2012, 02:46 PM
What, no optispark?! Well now it's just NOT cool anymore!

One opti per cylinder FTW!

Domestic Disturbance
10-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Some specs off another site

"
Engine type: 90-degree V-8 with overhead valves; continuous VVT
Displacement: 6.2L (376 cubic inches)
Bore x Stroke (in / mm): 4.06 x 3.62 / 103.25 x 92
Cylinder block: cast aluminum with nodular main caps
Main bearing fasteners: six, including two cross-bolts per cap
Crankshaft: forged steel
Connecting rods: powder metal, 6.125 inches in length
Pistons: eutectic aluminum alloy
Compression ratio: 11.5:1
Cylinder heads: 319-T7 cast aluminum with 59.02cc combustion chambers
Valve angles (degrees): 12.5 intake, 12 exhaust
Intake valves: 2.13 inches (54mm) hollow
Exhaust valves: 1.59 inches (40.4mm) hollow sodium
Camshaft: Hydraulic-type with tri-lobe for fuel-pump drive
Camshaft lift: 0.551-inch (14mm) intake / 0.524-inch (13.3mm) exhaust
Camshaft duration: 200-degrees intake / 207-degrees exhaust (at 0.050-inch)
Lobe separation angle: 116.5 degrees
Fuel delivery: direct injection
Intake manifold: “runners in a box” design; composite construction
Throttle: 87mm electronically controlled throttle body
Ignition: 58X with individual coil-on-plug and iridium-tip spark plugs
Horsepower / kW: 450 / 335 (estimated)
Torque – lb.-ft. / Nm: 450 / 610 (estimated)
Max. engine speed 6,600 rpm (fuel cutoff)
"
- http://www.corvetteonline.com/tech-stories/engine/breaking-news-chevy-gen-v-small-block-reveal/

Domestic Disturbance
10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
some running cutaway

http://www.videoatgm.com/videos/us/en/gm/RECENT/Gen-5-LT1-Powertrain-Tech-Animation/1918226972001/1

snickerlicker
10-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Do you think a camshaft change on the new LT1 will be worth 1,000hp like an LS?

SledgeWS6
10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
LT1, fingered by the devil.

slow ride
10-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Man the name is stupid. It's just a direct injection ls for the most part and thats the only neet part of it. They can keep the cylinder deactivation and cam timing adjustment (it's good to have but problematic in really high performance stuff).

I guess I'll have to wait till the mighty gen 6 TPI comes out for what I really want :)

snickerlicker
10-24-2012, 05:38 PM
^ no need to worry about problems in really high performance applications, because after all it is an LS, really high performance isn't possible..:)

OldSkoolRCR
10-24-2012, 06:01 PM
because after all it is an LS, really high performance isn't possible..:)

Yep......7.20@201mph on a radial and Cordova even....lol Just an LS! Last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNNfFj3wk8c&feature=youtu.be

snickerlicker
10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Yep......7.20@201mph on a radial and Cordova even....lol Just an LS! Last weekend.

The sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while....:)

AutoMods
10-24-2012, 07:05 PM

whats the deal with so much smoke entering the cabin

OldSkoolRCR
10-24-2012, 07:40 PM
lol....hater!

FiFdYnUtZ
10-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Didn't Brian black go 4.90 @148 in the 1/8 and coast through the quarter at 7.80@146 the same day? How were the mod motors doing?

OldSkoolRCR
10-24-2012, 07:42 PM
whats the deal with so much smoke entering the cabin

Hes a pot head was getting stoned before the pass! smoke was actually exiting the cabin...

OldSkoolRCR
10-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Didn't Brian black go 4.90 @148 in the 1/8 and coast through the quarter at 7.80@146 the same day? How were the mod motors doing?

yes he did.

snickerlicker
10-24-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm just glad it's called an LT1 again...

sparkles
10-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Who's the fat kid running behind it that Camaro....

OldSkoolRCR
10-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Sparles is it true what people are saying? that you talk all this smack on the site, yet show up at the IAF race without a car to race...wtf

OldSkoolRCR
10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm just glad it's called an LT1 again...

Hopefully it turns out to be a good runner like the ls1s

LT1Dan
10-24-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm pissed. Now everyone is going to think I drive a Corvette.

derek072887
10-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Who's the fat kid running behind it that Camaro....
you done offended Eddy B

OldSkoolRCR
10-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Why would I be offended? If your refering to George, yep hes overweight and a big kid, if your refering to me Im twice your age, and 10times better physical condition then either of you. Now thats pathetic!!!

Ricky
10-24-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm pissed. Now everyone is going to think I drive a Corvette.

whats wrong with that? :(

Domestic Disturbance
10-24-2012, 11:05 PM

Go adjust your whip and chrome tail light bezels... :lmao:

TbTalon94
10-25-2012, 07:12 AM
I was waiting for a direct injection corvette motor. It's a good idea in theory...but man it causes all kinds of issues after some miles are put on it. Plus it's such a barrier when it comes to forced induction.

I see why all the newer cars are going to it. It's efficient and makes good power...but they still haven't found a solution to all the carbon build up on the back of the intake valves. They really need to figure out some type of injection from factory that cleans everything pre cylinder....aka meth injection or the like.

Scott
10-25-2012, 07:51 AM
I was waiting for a direct injection corvette motor. It's a good idea in theory...but man it causes all kinds of issues after some miles are put on it. Plus it's such a barrier when it comes to forced induction.

I see why all the newer cars are going to it. It's efficient and makes good power...but they still haven't found a solution to all the carbon build up on the back of the intake valves. They really need to figure out some type of injection from factory that cleans everything pre cylinder....aka meth injection or the like.

Not real familiar with gas direct injection but with diesels they have a cleanout cycle built in to clean out deposits in the exhaust and intake systems, but they have DEF at their disposal to use. I would have to guess having VVT will help with intake reversion at lower rpm and will help with some of that, also the EGR systems now-a-days are making good progress so hopefully something will happen there to keep carbon out of the intake system

Scott
10-25-2012, 07:54 AM

Not to start a argument but why do you see this as a barrier with direct injection as compared to standard injectors? It was my understanding its easier to crank the power up with these, look at fords eco-boost, those trucks are straight flying with simple tunes

derek072887
10-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Not to start a argument but why do you see this as a barrier with direct injection as compared to standard injectors? It was my understanding its easier to crank the power up with these, look at fords eco-boost, those trucks are straight flying with simple tunes

once you reach the limit of the factory injectors there is really no where to go at this time... no aftermarket larger ones available...

Scott
10-25-2012, 08:10 AM
once you reach the limit of the factory injectors there is really no where to go at this time... no aftermarket larger ones available...

yeah I suppose, but it shouldnt take long if you look at the diesel market there are tons of injectors available.

slow ride
10-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Yea, the carbon thing sucks. I guess you could use meth to do the cleaning as Trevor said, but the OEM's need to get it figured out on there end. I've seen Audi pictures of RS4's with 50% of the intake ports blocked with carbon. I think most of the carbon is due to the PCV system in the intakes and oil vapor.

Diesels don't introduce blowby gas back into the intake track since there is no vacuume to injest it. Most Diesels use to dump it to the ground :) and now it goes through a oil seperator (coalescing) and draining the liquids back to pan. It's crazy to see what a diesel has to go through to meet FT4 emissions. Such a dirty fuel yet it costs more than gas now;\

Any factory turbo motor with computer controlled boost gains a ton from just a tune. You can damn near nock off a second in the 1/4 from a old turd S4 like mine(~70hp/100ftlbs). Turbos are gererally sized much better now than in the past so most of the gains are made in the midrange since the flow up top starts ot run out. You are basically taking the altitude compensation away from the system and using it to it's maximum capacity 100% of the time.

Scott
10-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Yea, the carbon thing sucks. I guess you could use meth to do the cleaning as Trevor said, but the OEM's need to get it figured out on there end. I've seen Audi pictures of RS4's with 50% of the intake ports blocked with carbon. I think most of the carbon is due to the PCV system in the intakes and oil vapor.

Diesels don't introduce blowby gas back into the intake track since there is no vacuume to injest it. Most Diesels use to dump it to the ground :) and now it goes through a oil seperator (coalescing) and draining the liquids back to pan. It's crazy to see what a diesel has to go through to meet FT4 emissions. Such a dirty fuel yet it costs more than gas now;\

Any factory turbo motor with computer controlled boost gains a ton from just a tune. You can damn near nock off a second in the 1/4 from a old turd S4 like mine(~70hp/100ftlbs). Turbos are gererally sized much better now than in the past so most of the gains are made in the midrange since the flow up top starts ot run out. You are basically taking the altitude compensation away from the system and using it to it's maximum capacity 100% of the time.

Your not a kidding there, since I've started in the FT4 S650 base design group I have learned soo much about this stuff.. Emissions have severly hurt the huge potential that diesel has to offer IMO. I have lots of info on this subject but not at liberty to share

garyLT1
10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
This thread actually makes me like my car again. I can proudly say I have a "LT1" bitches"

SledgeWS6
10-25-2012, 01:19 PM

Well that's not a Straw-man built argument at all. OF COURSE there are not aftermarket injectors yet, the damn thing isn't even out in the market place yet! Give it a year after its been handed over to various companies with enough money to afford one.

AutoMods
10-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Well that's not a Straw-man built argument at all. OF COURSE there are not aftermarket injectors yet, the damn thing isn't even out in the market place yet! Give it a year after its been handed over to various companies with enough money to afford one.

he's talking about the availability of larger ford ecoboost direct injectors like on the turbo tauras and f150 turbo. also mazdaspeed 3 and mazdaspeed 6 turbos with direct injection have problems finding larger direct injection injectors.

but none of these vehicles have the consumer aftermarket demand like a corvette does, so hopefully options will become available. unfortunately injectors are not one of those things little mom and pop shops can develop, a big company like bosch will have to step in and develop something

derek072887
10-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Scott asked what the barrier was I just named that barrier.... no argument

but on the other hand its not like direct injection is anything new.....

SledgeWS6
10-25-2012, 01:52 PM
but on the other hand its not like direct injection is anything new.....

It is new in an application like this. A marketable alternative to the previous technology utilized.

Ryan, your second paragraph beat me to my point. None of the existing cars have a reasonable aftermarket demand for such technology advances.

snickerlicker
10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
This thread actually makes me like my car again. I can proudly say I have a "LT1" bitches"

That's what I'm talking about! The bitches will love the LT1 all over again, especially if you can get t-tops with it!

SledgeWS6
10-25-2012, 02:24 PM
That's what I'm talking about! The bitches will love the LT1 all over again, especially if you can get t-tops with it!

I've been growing out my mullet, scuffing up my boots, and taming a bad-ass beard just for the occasion! #'murrica

slow ride
10-25-2012, 02:41 PM
"If it starts chicks will come"

snickerlicker
10-25-2012, 03:49 PM
"if it starts chicks will come"

lol

garyLT1
10-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I'll be ready for that day
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee155/gcar1992/7D8871FB-37EC-4964-AB68-7BDB8B6426BE-9115-00000A3204FA993F.jpg

LT1Dan
10-25-2012, 04:34 PM

I was referring to the "Corvette Club" type Corvette owners. Not guys with cars like yours.

Btw I saw you driving on 30 yesterday. Your car is gorgeous and low.

TbTalon94
10-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Direct injection is definatly not new. There are many forced induction cars running it, as well as N/A cars too. They all have the same carbon buildup in time...more so on the turbocharged cars as you'd expect.

There are multiple cars out there with fairly large aftermarket and still no-one has a "bigger" injector for the direct injection systems. They do seam to be able to be pushed quite a bit and tweaked to allow for more power, direct injection systems also don't need to run as rich as port injection systems so you've got a little cushion there.

The good thing is the corvette is one of if not THE biggest aftermarket base so that will surely help get some new technology out there and hopefully branch out to the other makes/models that are using direct injection.

The 07+ BMW 335i's have a 3.0L Direct injected twin turbo motor rated at ~300hp/300tq from the factory. They have the carbon build-up problem and although meth does help slightly, eventually you have to clean the valves. There is a certain company doing single turbo kits and with his tuning system he's been able to crank out around 640whp. Deal is it's STILL in line with how much power you can make per injector on a direct injection system. The A4's are the first platform to really test the system out and they've hit a wall on power. It's lower then the BMW because they have 2 less injectors. So on that note...the vette should be able to make in the 800-900hp range on the stock fuel system, so long as the low pressure pump can keep up.

AutoMods
10-25-2012, 07:44 PM
millions of computer hours working on emissions and mpg's and midrange torque and then these will get slapped on

http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f/8938039+w750+st0/0505sc_conversion_02_z.jpg

Scott
10-26-2012, 07:53 AM
millions of computer hours working on emissions and mpg's and midrange torque and then these will get slapped on

http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f/8938039+w750+st0/0505sc_conversion_02_z.jpg

When you want to go fast its always hard to beat a carb, I honestly have only changed 1 jet in my carb to compensate for fuel distribution since I have owned mine and nothing else... Been thru a few cam changes, all different top end setup, and it just works! plus being able to piggy back MSD's fancy ignition controls on top makes for way more options than you get with factory computer.

Forced induction with a carb Im not a huge fan of!

Obviously Im talking about a drag race application here

Drifte
10-26-2012, 11:40 AM
haha true^

Why did they call it the lt1? Thats so confusing. I suppose after ls9 they were like well ls10 is weird, alphabet, its back to T.

SledgeWS6
10-26-2012, 11:48 AM
haha true^

Why did they call it the lt1? Thats so confusing. I suppose after ls9 they were like well ls10 is weird, alphabet, its back to T.

The have used the LT-1, LT1, and now LT1 again, also LS series has been used before as well. Lack of creativity? They're engineers, they think in two dimensions.

slow ride
10-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I'll tell you this, there is no way engineering named this engine. It's just marketing being marketing and out of touch with enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are such a small part of the overall purchasing group that they are easily overlooked for sales.

snickerlicker
10-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Blame it on Obama.

SledgeWS6
10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Blame it on Obama.

"LIKE" :headbang:

Scott
10-26-2012, 02:59 PM
I'll tell you this, there is no way engineering named this engine. It's just marketing being marketing and out of touch with enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are such a small part of the overall purchasing group that they are easily overlooked for sales.

yeah Engineering probably calls it the RE5872345.asm

SledgeWS6
10-26-2012, 03:47 PM
http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-reveals-new-gen-v-lt1-sporting-twin-turbos/

derek072887
10-26-2012, 07:01 PM
http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-reveals-new-gen-v-lt1-sporting-twin-turbos/
hard to tell the size of those turbo's but they seem a little small to be on a motor that large..

snickerlicker
10-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Somebody said that is a 3.6 V6, not a V8.

SledgeWS6
10-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Somebody said that is a 3.6 V6, not a V8.

It is clearly not the LT1, but interesting nevertheless.

TbTalon94
10-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Probably the twin turbo motor in that new Caddy.