PDA

View Full Version : where to buy tools locally ?

AutoMods
10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
where do you guys buy tools locally? i'm thinking more of the specialty tools and some larger tools that you might not want to order online like drill presses, disc sanders, band saws, chop saws, etc.

every time i go to sears, their tool selection seems to dwindle . pretty soon its going to turn into a bed bath and beyond. lowes, menards, home depot are very limited.

I actually like harbor freight's selection and stock. Ideally another store like harbor freight but with some higher quality tools.

Sunny Z
10-04-2012, 12:58 PM
+1 for HF. I have several of their hand tools, and a pair of their big tool boxes. You simply can't buy a better box for the money, hell, even twice the money. Northern Tool was a favorite of mine in KS. They have a location in Wichita and KC. Their online catalogue is pretty extensive as well.

Deimos
10-04-2012, 01:02 PM
mac and snap on. Acme and barons for cheaper specialty

FiFdYnUtZ
10-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Tool trucks

Newgen
10-04-2012, 02:25 PM
+1 for HF. I have several of their hand tools, and a pair of their big tool boxes. You simply can't buy a better box for the money, hell, even twice the money. Northern Tool was a favorite of mine in KS. They have a location in Wichita and KC. Their online catalogue is pretty extensive as well.

Not sure if you were aware Northern has a location in Des Moines also :).

SaNdMaNsSi
10-04-2012, 03:04 PM
I buy all of my tools from snappy, (I also buy stuff that's snappy that people aren't using...hint hint-PM box...) but for the larger stuff, I always have good luck finding what I need on Craigslist. When it comes to saws and large equipment, I love buying the old industrial stuff....nothing new beats it. I don't care if my tool has 14 different protective devices built in so that I can't cut off a finger, I want a tool that will cut it's way through the floor if I dropped it. Between CL and guys I know here in CR that only deal in tools, I've never not been able to find what I need. I mean, one of the guys I work with never has less than 5 lathes in his garage for sale.

Sunny Z
10-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Not sure if you were aware Northern has a location in Des Moines also :).

I was unaware.

sparkles
10-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Haymarket Plaza, just South of Charles Gabus Ford on Meral Hay Road.

Batwood
10-04-2012, 06:47 PM
If you need something "right away" and probably won't use it a whole lot, Harbor Freight can't really be beat.
The quality of a lot of their things is downright horrible though... although I've heard the boxes are quite nice for the money.

Like Sandman said, Craigslist is the shit for used tools. Snappy and Mac are the shit if you got the money to spend OR you know you are going to depend on using it often. I have cheap tools at home and I HATE it.

Deimos
10-04-2012, 06:53 PM
my harbor frieght brake line bending tool warped on the first line

AutoMods
10-05-2012, 12:20 PM
i actually needed something fast as I'm doing some brackets and a lot of misc welding and an entire new exhaust for the shootout. my downpipe is too small and the rear part of the exhaust needs to go around my new solid rear. the price was just too good, i ended up buying from harbor freight again. i'm starting to get embarrassed at the number of harbor freight tools i own

so i wanted a nice flat surface to grind metal flat in preparation for butt welds. I was looking for something like this below but with a stone for metal, but apparently thats not common. But i guess people use sanding discs for metal prep too. not sure how quick metal will chew up a sanding disc but we'll see.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_18029.jpg

hf was out of the 12" disc so i ended up getting this thing on sale for $199 and used my 20% off coupon so $160 . so far i like it. does actually trim up the metal decently quick. fairly quiet and low vibration. turns out i like the belt portion so i'm glad i got the combination. might even use it more than the disc. the curved part of the belt is nice for rounded edges.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2138.jpg

Drifte
10-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Used that same setup, works great.

boxmakingman
10-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Ryan, I have a similar setup and I don't use the disc portion at all.

90blkbrd
11-11-2012, 10:49 AM
(sorry if I take this thread off course)

I have a MAC and Snap-On question. Do you buy the tools at list price or does your salesman always sell you the tools at a discounted rate?

The reason I am asking is my son is planning on going to a technical college (Marine Technology) where he has to buy tools. The instructor stated 4 brands (MAC Snap-On, Craftsman and another truck vendor I can't think of at the moment). All of the tools and tool boxes will be discounted to 50% off for the student.

I'm curious if he should buy everything in school or hold off until he is working to get some of it. For example if a socket set is $500 through Snap-On he would get it for $250 but if he can get it from a truck for $300-350 it isn't that amazing of a deal.

Sleeping
11-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Best to buy all can while in school. They will have some things here and there that will be good deals once get out.

Deimos
11-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Sad part is there isn't much discount of specialty stuff just basic Crap.