PDA

View Full Version : who do you guys like for light batteries ?

AutoMods
09-27-2012, 11:32 AM
My optima red is getting old. After having two optimas, the 2nd under warranty, I'm not too fond of them. Battery is in the hatch so need a sealed gel one. braille, odyssey, xs power, deka ?

Xboosted23X
09-27-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm on my second oddssey battery. They have lasted a decent time in my book. I had a Deka between the oddsseys and was not impressed by that at all. I've seen threads that state Deka makes braille and they are half the price. I don't know if I got a defective one but I didn't drive it for two weeks and it was dead.

AutoMods
09-27-2012, 02:52 PM
which oddyssey do you have?

Xboosted23X
09-27-2012, 03:27 PM
pc680

Deimos
09-27-2012, 06:00 PM
I can I have your old optima?

AutoMods
09-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I can I have your old optima?

no you can't ;) I know you want to try to revive it with your bad ass ctec charger . its still works just doesn't have quite as high peak voltage as it used to nor the reserve capacity. could be my own fault for draining it several times and not using it as often as i should.

Deimos
09-27-2012, 06:51 PM
I've done about 5 of them so far I keep forgetting to do the one we got for the luv truck but when I can get yellow yops for 15-20 I aint gonna complain. You still haent answered you message on facebook.

Drifte
10-02-2012, 08:26 AM
alien motion 8 cell or Speedcell 8 cell. Could get away with a 4cell but I have pc3, HID's etc.
http://www.alienmotion.com/AM8_Box_Medium.jpg
under 2lbs.

This would work on small engine cars:
http://www.alienmotion.com/html/batteries.html

AutoMods
10-02-2012, 08:33 AM
i think cars that run those lithium batteries have to spend at least $800 to get a big enough battery http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LPP-L30/

FiFdYnUtZ
10-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I rock a half dead full size interstate up front

slow ride
10-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Seems like I kill my red tops often also, but it's from sitting in the garage over winter. Need to pull it or at least disconnect it(my garage never freezes) and run a tender and you're good.

sparkles
10-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I rock a half dead full size interstate up front
Amen

AutoMods
10-02-2012, 04:46 PM
well you guys are making so much power that you need the heavy battery in front to keep the wheels down

sparkles
10-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I just think it's retarded you want to spend twice as much as you need to on a little teeny weeny battery. What's the point?

AutoMods
10-02-2012, 05:39 PM
The battery is one of the cheapest ways to save weight. You can spend $130 instead of $60 and save 20 pounds . Where else can you save 20 pounds for $70 ???

Think about the cost for light weight rims, carbon fiber hood or cf anything, alum or cf driveshaft, chromoly cage vs mild steel, aluminum flywheel, etc etc

sparkles
10-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Sorry, didn't know you were building a supercar. Better order that all carbon fiber body kit while you're at it.

Have fun playing with dead batteries all the time then I guess. You're even admitting you can't keep a battery alive, so why are you wanting to replace one gimmick thing that doesn't do it's job for another? If it isn't going to last at least 4 years, it's junk. I have yet to have an Optima last that long, let alone some Rubik's cube looking POS.

A billion places you can look into to go faster or handle better, and we're talking about a freakin battery.

slow ride
10-02-2012, 07:47 PM
You even read the part about being in the hatch and needing to be sealed? Optimas will last just fine, just don't let them sit for 5 months without touching the car. Pull it and bring it in or run a tender.

I run them as the battery sits right above the ECU and makes a HUGE mess of things when it leaks all over it.

sparkles
10-02-2012, 07:51 PM
They don't need to be sealed. They're supposed to be in a box anyway. Tech doesn't care if it's a sealed battery or not. They want it in a box, under a lid.

sparkles
10-02-2012, 07:51 PM
And why is your battery leaking?

oVa-Boost
10-02-2012, 07:57 PM
i had an odyssey 680 in my tranny and only lasted less than a year it didnt have enough juice to crank the car over after couple months of use i had to jump it and would run until i shut the car off again and it was dead kept pissing me off so i switch to a reg size battery and never had an issue. not sure if it sat on shelve for too long at summit or just isnt made for bigger engines. i have one in my laser and works great tho but thats just a 4cyl

AutoMods
10-02-2012, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't say gel cell's are a gimmick. a lot of people that run these small batteries don't drive their cars daily and let the cars sit through the winter and its pretty hard on the battery. my talon sat around a lot and I killed a couple small normal honda lead acid batteries too.

the lithium batteries are very interesting. hopefully their price comes down for cars. about 5 years ago lithium polymer batteries completely started taking over the radio control hobby. anybody into rc will confirm that. of course rc planes benefit greatly from the light batteries. but all the serious rc cars run them too now. they are very light and can handle larger amperage draws and maintain voltage while doing so. and they don't lose capacity while sitting around. they completely changed the radio control industry.

here is my t4 , lithum battery upgrade made it a beast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhxP9R6dqDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhxP9R6dqDo

sparkles
10-02-2012, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't say gel cell's are a gimmick. a lot of people that run these small batteries don't drive their cars daily and let the cars sit through the winter and its pretty hard on the battery.

Hence why I'm saying what I am. 20lbs of weight savings isn't worth my car not starting every time I get in to start it. I wasn't aware you were DDing your car.

Here, beings how we're posting videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4wHaIhcUm8

That makes more sense than anything. Of coarse, unless you're in construction, you wouldn't know why.

slow ride
10-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Previous owner, factory battery in the vette. I only use the red top in my vette and normal lead acid batterys in the other junk. Red top was in the car when I bought it and replaced it with one.

Had the one in our Tundra leak just a tiny bit over the years, but that made a mess of the inner fender. Also had great luck with a autozone special (only thing local that even fit the S4 back in the day) that lasted 8 years and finally killed by the bodyshop leaving the door open too long draining the battery over and over till dead. I have nothing against a regular battery, but there is a place for everything.

Sleeping
10-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Iv had a yellow top I pulled from a car before it went to the auction over 4 years ago and still no problems. Been in 3 different cars since iv had it. Sits during winter with battery disconnected.

Deimos
10-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Optimas keep just dont store em sideways and they are your best friends.

Urban Legend
10-02-2012, 10:36 PM
On my 3rd red top. I just like getting a new one every couple years for free

Drifte
10-03-2012, 06:53 AM
My factory motorcycle batter just wont die, but when it does Im getting a compact 8 cell Lion. Saves me about 5 lbs, and makes space in the battery tray for other electronics. 5lbs on a 350lb bike is significant.

slo4cyl
10-04-2012, 01:57 PM
I have a 7 year old optima red top still goin strong!