PDA

View Full Version : Trans issues

Phish
09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I posted this up on LS1tech but figured i would ask here as well:

Quick info on the car and trans.

I have a 86 rx7 with a 5.3l and a th350 trans. The trans has a trans go shift kit and 3000 stall.

The issue i am having is that under WOT the trans will not shift from 1st to 2nd but shifts from 2nd to 3rd flawlessly. It does not matter if i shift it manually or leave it in the drive position it still will not shift the car. It will take it all the way to the limiter and even then it will not shift the car untill you let out of the throttle.

I think i have it narrowed down to the weights in the governor since its only at WOT, but wouldnt that change the shift point of the 2nd to 3rd shift also? I was curious as to what everyone thinks i should check or look into.

Also, not sure if this is related, but vary rarely it will not downshift to 1st when coming to or leaving a stop. this issue rarely happens but did not know if it was related or not so i figured i would throw in a little more info

Thanks for the help guys.

AutoMods
09-23-2012, 04:04 PM
whats your limiter set to?

Phish
09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
somewhere around 6700.

AutoMods
09-23-2012, 05:24 PM
As a quick workaround, u could bump the redline to 7k if u think that will make it shift. as long as u have valve springs and aftermarket pushrods. ur cam is too small to make power up there but u can still run it up there. u dont have a tuner yet do u?

Phish
09-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Correct i do not have a tuner. . . When it was shifting correctly i was noticing that the one two shift was at 5500 RPM and the two three shift was at 6500 rpm. I thought that was a little odd also.

I dont have a way to move the limiter and honestly, i dont think that woudl help. It acts like its not even thinking of shifting untill i get out of the throttle.

FiFdYnUtZ
09-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Id stay away from 7k + shifts if you don't have aftermarket rod bolts

Phish
09-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah i dont plan on uping the limiter. However it seems to be gettign progresivly worse. Now i NEVER have a 1 2 shift at WOT and the 2 3 shift at WOT is starting to not shift approriately. I thought automatics were supposed to be so much simpiler

FiFdYnUtZ
09-23-2012, 07:32 PM
My stock trans did the same shit and a few weeks later completely cooked

Phish
09-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Well Thats pretty sweet. I may try swapping out the vac modulator and see if that helps... then from there swao out the weights back to a stock one and see what that does. If it still acts the same, i will jsut swap the shift kit over to a new trans and call it good. Stupid that this shit has to happen though. I am pretty sure i cant pull the trans without removing everything from the motor back .

BGjohnson
09-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Well you could have a few different things going on. Pump could not be creating enough pressure, leaks in the valve body gaskets, sticking checkballs, or your modulator. Does it use a vacuum reference for shift point pressure?

Phish
09-23-2012, 09:22 PM
from what i have read the vac modulator is more for non full throttle shifts and the governor on the sides with the weights is more for WOT shifting. I can easily get to the vac modulator to swap it out with one that i have found from a friend. Its so simple its stupid not to do it first. Second would be try swapping out the governor on the side with another which i can most likely locate as well. The issue not making the governor an easy swap is due to the trans being in a car it was nto designed for, i dotn think i can get the governor off the car without removing the trans completely. Its somewhat tight against the trans tunnel. However that shall be step two to see if that clears the issue. If i still have the issue, then it will be swapping my shift kit to another th350 and re installing that new one in the car. Hopefully that would take care of whatever issue i may have had. Although i did think of going FMVB as well :-)

Drifte
09-24-2012, 02:15 PM
I like the FMVB approach. Kinda dumb question, but hows the fluid color/level?

Phish
09-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Fluid looks good.... I am not sure how a FMVB will drive on the street. Anyone know??

86svo9L
09-24-2012, 06:04 PM
It drives just fine. When I was younger I had a stalled C4 with a full manual valve body. The only difference is that you have to do the shifts, if you go with normal and not reverse make sure you get a shifter that locks out neutral/reverse.

BGjohnson
09-24-2012, 06:35 PM
You really need to get a trans pressure gauge and see what all your pressures are. Truthfully it is the only way to tell what is going on without just throwing parts at it.