PDA

View Full Version : '91 Talon TSI

sLoWnStEaDy
09-17-2012, 06:26 PM
I was getting ready to throw more stuff in the "1G DSM ECU" thread and decided I might as well start one here instead.

it's a '91 Talon TSI (obviously). the car has 110K miles on it and is pretty much bone stock except a Walbro 255, Greddy Turbo Timer and a Greddy Blow Off Valve. It was a bit of a mess (and still is) but I am working on it little by little. First issue was that it needed an ECU. IAF member "Sleeping" was kind enough to give me one he had laying around which took care of that.

The Greddy BOV was bolted to the factory flange but it was not recirculated. they had the stock BOV still connected to the recirculation tube on the intake because, apparently they couldn't afford 8" of vacuum line that was needed to mount the Greddy BOV properly and hook up the recirc. pipe. So, i handled that. There is a fuel leak I need to figure out now and it idles around 2k for a while when it is first started and it still doesn't like to start right away. thinking it may be a fuel pressure thing due to the fuel leak out back but who knows right now.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Now that it is a running/driving car, I have decided to start the "de-ricing" process. No idea why the previous owner felt the need to paint shit white and color-shifting but to each their own and I am doing the 'ole brake fluid paint strip. Probably going to take a couple days but it will be WELL worth it!

short term plans are simple, get it cleaned up, fix the fuel leak, give it a tune-up and the MBC and crank the boost. ;) No idea on "future plans" because, well, honestly I have no idea where my life is heading in the near future so I am just taking it day by day. I do have to say though, I missed working on cars and this is REALLY helping me get my head right. It's been like 6-7 months since I have touched a car other than the stereo in my cadillac.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Oh, I also flush mounted the turbo timer in the little ash tray deal in front of the shifter. it was rigged up below the stereo with a bunch of glue, tape and one of those plastic phone jack boxes...? Once I get all the paint off the interior, I will get some more pics posted up. Also going to do something with the exhaust, nothing special right now, probably just a cat delete.

Clinical
09-17-2012, 07:00 PM
shit if you were aching to work on a car, I'll bring my DSM up and let you do the timing belt!

sLoWnStEaDy
09-17-2012, 07:22 PM
shit if you were aching to work on a car, I'll bring my DSM up and let you do the timing belt!

HaHa! I have my own DSM now, I am sure it will keep me PLENTY busy! OK, in all honesty, I can't really complain. I didn't have to do shit to my '90 TSI back when I had it. well, up until a little seal blew and I got pissed and sold it. Up to that point though, I added a bunch of stuff and beat the piss out of the car and it never gave me a single issue.

I am hoping once i get these initial issues taken care of that it will treat me as good as that one did! or even better and not blow whatever frikkin seal that was.

Clinical
09-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Okay well the offers there if you get bored! Definitely need to get off my ass and do it, been putting it off for over a month.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Well, it lasted two months... longer than some of my others. Traded it off for a 2000 GTI VR6 tonight, first Volkswagen I have ever owned.

AutoMods
11-19-2012, 10:16 PM
shit, you did it again.

i never took any interest in volkswagen. vr6 or 1.8t, which motor is better?

you still have the fiero and mach I ?

85XR7Project
11-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Well, it lasted two months... longer than some of my others. Traded it off for a 2000 GTI VR6 tonight, first Volkswagen I have ever owned.

Nothing sounds better from VW than a VR6 with exhaust. Nothing is stranger than a 15 degree V6 either. I have a strange affection for VeeDubs.

Ryan, I'm pretty sure the Mach 1 was a mess and that went away.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Still have the fiero, Mach One wasn't worth fixing. Sold everything and scrapped the hundreds of pounds of bondo that was left. As it sits, I have my CTS, my Fiero and now the GTI. Along with another ongoing project that will hopefully be out this spring. ;-)

Oh and just for the record... I did do all of those "short term" things I mentioned so that counts as a completed project. :-)

slow ride
11-20-2012, 06:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAVOSbr4ujg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAVOSbr4ujg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/nycvr6/890B60C5-96CB-4B8F-A5BE-21E18BB46C49-10421-0000037348BB411C.jpg

AutoMods
11-20-2012, 07:49 AM
video link fixed ^ . don't use embed code, just past the url inside a video tag using the "insert video" icon

sLoWnStEaDy
11-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Did I miss something...? Where'd thwarted Audi come into play here?

slow ride
11-20-2012, 08:57 AM
It's a VR6 engine swap and Ryan had said something about them above. They really work well for turboing since the exhaust all comes out on one side like a inline engine.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-20-2012, 11:38 AM
It's a VR6 engine swap and Ryan had said something about them above. They really work well for turboing since the exhaust all comes out on one side like a inline engine.

Ah... did not notice the swap, that's pretty sweet though.

85XR7Project
11-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Ooooh thats right! GTI's have the 24v I completely forgot that.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-22-2012, 07:16 PM
No grid pics yet, here's a couple though... interior is immaculate, probably 9-9.5/10, exterior needs a bit of help, probably 7/10. It's a damn fun little car, that's for sure!!

85XR7Project
11-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Pretty cool little guy. Looks like the headlights have the typical VW yellow sun fading. Keep this one!

sLoWnStEaDy
11-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Already got those bad boys taken care of. Some wet sanding, clear coat and about 30 minutes got em looking good as new

85XR7Project
11-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Nice! What are your plans?

sLoWnStEaDy
11-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Well... my buddy wants this car REALLY bad and is going to buy it when I sell it, probably this spring. I've already picked out a paint color, gonna lower it 1.5"-2" and turbo it. Body work and paint will be done when I own it for sure, probably lower it while I have it too. Turbo might end up waiting until he owns it but I'll be doing the work either way.

So far (in the couple days I've had it), just done some little stuff it needed. Coolant temp sensor, brakes, headlights, misc. bulbs/sensors, cleaned the interior, engine bay, stuff like that. Only got about $150 in it thus far. Don't plan to spend more than $1k total on it. Basically working with my buddy since he'll be buying it. What I do kinda depends on how much he wants to spend in a few months when I sell it to him.

85XR7Project
11-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Cool deal. Get some exhaust on it, you'll love the noise it makes.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Here's a little before and after of the headlights... they're busted up and getting replaced when I do the front bumper so I wasn't super careful with it. Didn't have masking tape on hand so I had to use packing tape LOL

sparkles
11-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Damn. Fine work either way.

AutoMods
11-23-2012, 06:47 PM
reminds me of an infomercial. your picture beforehand is out of focus and the one after is in focus

sLoWnStEaDy
11-23-2012, 07:04 PM
reminds me of an infomercial. your picture beforehand is out of focus and the one after is in focus

"before" was taken with my buddies i-phone, "after" was taken with my GS3... just sayin ;) you can see a nice "in focus" shot on post #17. they were horrible

AutoMods
11-23-2012, 07:55 PM
ic. yes that is a nice improvement.

it'd be cool to see it turbo'd . hard to get exited though since it will just be sold and gone shortly

sLoWnStEaDy
11-23-2012, 08:05 PM
ic. yes that is a nice improvement.

it'd be cool to see it turbo'd . hard to get exited though since it will just be sold and gone shortly

meh. My friend Eric is buying it so either way, it will be posted up on here. Whatever I don't get to when I own it, I will be doing for him. I would guess it will be going to him in April or so, but then again, who really knows, right... :) My car ADHD is not always exciting for others but I sure enjoy it! My main issue "forum wise" is that I never remember to take pictures. When I start working on a car, I just forget about the world. He's already got a ton of pics though as he is helping with the work and is in love with the car for some reason.

Personally, I want another StarQuest