PDA

View Full Version : Sun Dried Leather seats

sparkles
08-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I just picked up a set of 4th gen seats for a steal. They're not cracked, but really dry. I was wanting to see if there was anything local I could buy and let set in for a while before I put them in my car. I'm sure if they went in right now, they'd crack within a couple weeks. They were in a wrecked T top car outside for the last 4 years.

I've heard some people use saddle soap?

sLoWnStEaDy
08-02-2012, 09:30 PM
saddle soap, baby oil, german beezwax, neatsfoot oil, olive oil, Carr Day & Martin, leather conditioner, etc... Go to farm & fleet, Thiesens, Tractor Supply, or some place similar.

I have used baby oil in place of "armor all" as long as I can remember. cheap, leaves a nice shine and seems to keep it hydrated. IDK, probably get ripped on for it but, that's what I use...

sparkles
08-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Think there's any hope of saving them, or once they get so bad, pretty much screwed?

sLoWnStEaDy
08-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I have never dealt with anything too bad. If they aren't cracked yet, I would give it a try. I read somewhere about vehicle leather being coated in something or another so the stuff you would use on raw leather doesn't really work the same but... IDK, speaking from personal experience only, I have had really good luck with Baby Oil, Johnson & Johnson to be more specific. LOL

You're probably thinking it will leave an oily film or something too, it doesn't. I use it on my entire interior, I actually just detailed the cadillac today and that's what I used.

EDIT: I did just remember my Fiero. it isn't leather but the dash and door panels in that thing were pretty bad when I got it. That car sat in an impound lot in Minnesota for over 10 years. I used a damp towel to clean the surfaces and then finished it up with baby oil. interior is still clean and has a nice, natural looking shine to it. of course, it has been indoors for the last 7~ years now so...

Domestic Disturbance
08-02-2012, 11:03 PM
The leather on those seats can start to feel pretty stiff, but it'd be worth going over with some leather conditioner (from my experience) a few times. Go over them a couple times at least and see if you are making any progress. I believe I was using meguires. SP?

Domestic Disturbance
08-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Idk about baby oil on leather, but sounds like poor mans armor all :33:

bizzle
08-03-2012, 12:08 AM
i know saddle soap was the old school fix for it. but like dd said i would lean towards leather conditioner. you want something that the leather will absorb, and just keep applying until you get it good n soft

Deimos
08-03-2012, 05:27 AM
I would call a leather shop those show saddles for horses can cost over twenty thousand dollars. So they got like 150 products that should help ya out.

slow ride
08-03-2012, 06:32 AM
ahhhh GM Pleather

sparkles
08-03-2012, 07:21 AM
^lol, pretty much.

There's a tack shop over by the fairgrounds I'm going to take one over to and show them what I got and see if they recommend anything. If that doesn't pan out, I'll try a reconditioner/rejuvinator.

Something like this leatherique (sp).

Drifte
08-03-2012, 07:30 AM
My mountaineer is kinda the same way. They seem to have a seal coat so nothing can be absorbed, but that also seems to keep the conditioner from absorbing too. I need to find something that really deep cleans and conditions. Maybe I'll go experiment with some stuff from autozone and see what happens.

Drifte
08-03-2012, 07:41 AM
http://www.autogeek.net/pinrubvincle.html

snickerlicker
08-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Go get some Lexol, works great. Sears usually carries it amongst other places.

sparkles
08-03-2012, 08:00 AM
I heard about that too. Sears? Really? What department would have that? Hopefully it's in a container that's smaller than the $200 jug I saw.

snickerlicker
08-03-2012, 08:12 AM
I heard about that too. Sears? Really? What department would have that? Hopefully it's in a container that's smaller than the $200 jug I saw.

In the auto wax, cleaning department. Also I think Ace hardware sometimes carries it too.

garyLT1
08-14-2012, 09:10 PM
^lol, pretty much.

There's a tack shop over by the fairgrounds I'm going to take one over to and show them what I got and see if they recommend anything. If that doesn't pan out, I'll try a reconditioner/rejuvinator.

Something like this leatherique (sp).

ClassicIndustries offers a complete uphostry kit for fourth gen Ordered one in ebony for the bird since I'm doing all ebony interior

http://www.classicindustries.com/firebird/parts/interior-soft-goods/seat-upholstery/?p=1&sb=0&r=15

BGjohnson
08-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Go get some Lexol, works great. Sears usually carries it amongst other places.

Oreillys right down the road has it off of 14th. It's what I use on the SVO, those seats were very hard, now they are very plush. Just let the leather get good and warm, apply it very heavy, might have to do this 3-5 times, should soften right up.

Drifte
08-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Does the lexol stuff take grime out of the seams/cracks areas?

snickerlicker
08-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Does the lexol stuff take grime out of the seams/cracks areas?

They make a leather cleaner for that, then you use the leather conditioner after that.

tylers88
08-23-2012, 07:43 AM
clean with an amonia based window cleaner and scrub them to strip any old cleaners off the leather and get some leather conditioner for them, I personally use Meguiars, seems to work well with GM pleather

Divine Details
08-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Leatherique is the best leather restorer around. It's what I use on all the high end cars I detail. It doesn't come with the best instructions but if you end up using it I can give you some tips.

snickerlicker
08-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Panther piss works the best.

sparkles
08-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Where is Leatherique available locally though?

Divine Details
10-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Where is Leatherique available locally though?

I can get you leatherique if you are still intrested.

sparkles
10-09-2012, 07:12 PM
I picked up Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner and have been hitting them with that every few days.