PDA

View Full Version : For Sale, winter beater (or daily driver, depending on how you want to abuse it)

SaNdMaNsSi
06-25-2012, 03:28 PM
For sale is a 2000 Olds Alero GLS.

First of all, I consider myself to be an upfront, completely honest guy. I am going to give you the worst of the worst, that way if you're interested, you don't feel anything has been hidden or left out at all.

Body Color: Black
Interior: Grey leather
Engine: 3.4 6 cylinder 170hp Automatic
Mileage: 189,xxx

The engine on this car, to my surprise, looks pretty darn good. No oil or fluid leaks of any kind that I can find. Engine compartment just seems really, really clean. (for a car with 189k)

Body: Typical previous Alero driver :) plenty of door dings all around, scratches, but nothing (that I can think of right now) is broken. Drivers door has a decent sized dent around the door handle. Amazingly the front and rear bumpers are not broken anywhere that I could find. Missing 1 inner splash shield on the passengers side, I may pick one up this week and put it on. Also missing the dome light inside, it was in the trunk, but I threw it away because it looked like someone had let it float in a can of Barq's root beer, and I wasn't touching that sticky thing. Has a rear spoiler, and like most, is pretty baked. Most of the clear coat on the spoiler is gone, but the rest of the car does not have the same problem. Has the typical rust starting at the bottom of the wheel wells on each side, just behind the doors. Windshield has a scratch where the previous owner didn't want to be inconvenienced into buying a new wiper blade, so they just let the one scratch a line into the window instead. You can see just fine through the windshield, but I'm going to give every last bad detail about this car so that the new owner can hopefully be pleasantly surprised. Fog lights work, as of right now one has a burned out bulb that I'll try to get replaced tomorrow.

Interior: Grey leather interior: For having 189k the passenger's and rear seats are in pretty good shape. The driver's isnt terrible, but it's got a decent vertical tear in it at one side. Might have some smaller ones here and there. Dash pad is peeling back. Previous owner removed the grey cover on the passenger airbag, so now the airbag is black. (That's the color of the airbag under the gray cover). Everything seems to work as far as interior stuff goes, I haven't checked the cruise control yet. Lights, radio, trunk pop, hood pop, windows, etc seem to work just fine. I rug doctored the carpets, and they look good in my opinion. If you don't like them, I'll include the pimpin' porpoise floor mats that came with it.

What we did to it: When it came in, the traction control, abs, and E-brake lights were on, as well as the check engine and washer fluid (can't forget that one). The previous owner broke the passenger side spring which was resting against the tire, keeping them from driving it. We replaced the spring, and at the same time ran a diagnostic and ran into the typical Alero/grand am/malibu check engine light for bad wheel bearing/speed sensor on the passenger side. So we also replaced the entire hub assembly and tie rod at the same time (no reason to keep taking the same stuff apart). That shut off the check engine, abs, and e-brake lights. Re-checked for codes, none. If you're an interested buyer I'll hook it up to our Snap-On scanner and show you that there are not only no codes, I'll go into the history and show you the ones that were there over the life of the car if you like.

Obviously then put in washer fluid to shut that light off. We then did typical maintenance and cleanup, new filter and oil change, etc. I'm sure I probably forgot to mention something, somewhere, such as that it does have aluminum rims in good shape, and does have a sunroof. The tires on the rear have decent to good tread, the fronts are about bald. However, I do have a matching set of 2 tires that I'll give the new owner that have really good tread. I'd even be happy, once purchased, to use our shop discount to get them mounted and balanced and put on the car.

Hopefully I'm not missing anything, but like I said, I want everyone interested to think this thing caught on fire, fell off a cliff, landed in a Taliban stronghold, was used as a brothel for at LEAST 6 months, before being dropped from an aircraft face-first into the mouth of the one hiding, not-yet-extinct T-Rex' mouth who dropped it in our lot after finding more interest in chasing small children in the park. That way we are both happy. If you are interested at all, I'll be happy to make you a good deal.

On the Kelly Blue Book site I took the lowest value possible, then went into the "change condition" hyperlink at the bottom under "fair" and changed anything that might be at all questionable to the absolute worst thing they had listed. The value that came back on that site was 2,387.00 (Here's the link, hopefully it shows what I entered).

http://www.kbb.com/oldsmobile/alero/2000-oldsmobile-alero/gls-sedan-4d/?vehicleid=6771&intent=trade-in-sell&options=257437|true|257467|true&mileage=189000&category=sedan&pricetype=private-party&quizconditions=3|0|0|2|1|1|0|1|1|1|0|1|3|0|1|0

I am asking 1,650 or best offer. I figured I'd give forum members an opportunity first since forum members have been giving me business lately. Also, I didn't post pics, because I actually don't have a clue how to embed them, and I just figure since I'm on 16th Ave SW I should be a pretty easy drive for most interested parties to come look at it. Thanks for looking.

SaNdMaNsSi
06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Oh, almost forgot. Since it's summer and it matters, the A/C is ice cold.

Scott
06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
I might be interested in that. Working ac/heat/radio is about all I need along with good tires and MPG's. any interest in a trade for my 97 buick lesabre? the AC doesnt work and Im sick of driving it

SaNdMaNsSi
06-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I might be interested in that. Working ac/heat/radio is about all I need along with good tires and MPG's. any interest in a trade for my 97 buick lesabre? the AC doesnt work and Im sick of driving it

If you're interested, just let me know when you'd like to come take a look. However, I couldn't do a trade....we are doing our best not to be in the used car business, this one is a rarity with us.

SaNdMaNsSi
07-12-2012, 02:27 PM
So, since I'm back from vacation, I figured I'd update this. Got the car ready to go, ABS and E-brake lights were on. When you start the car with your foot on the brake, the lights are off. You let off the brake, they come on, which is why I didn't catch it when I listed it originally. I replaced both front hubs since the speed sensors are a common problem in these cars, both rotors, and 1 tie rod thinking that would fix it. Well, I think the problem is in the ABS module. So, the car runs great, stops just fine, but will have no ABS because I don't want to mess with it. The next buyer can, the module is right under the battery tray, but that's why it's a beater. So the price is the same, just with a bunch of new parts.

AutoMods
07-12-2012, 11:29 PM
damn, i hate it when you fix a bunch of shit and it doesn't take care of the problem

SaNdMaNsSi
07-13-2012, 07:30 AM
damn, i hate it when you fix a bunch of shit and it doesn't take care of the problem

Well, I figured it was money well spent anyways, so I'm not upset about it.

Clinical
07-13-2012, 06:08 PM
PMing you on this, my mom needs a new car

SaNdMaNsSi
07-13-2012, 09:16 PM
PM replied!