PDA

View Full Version : Scion FR-S

sLoWnStEaDy
06-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Don't know shit about it, just seen a commercial. I like the look but I am sure it leaves a lot to be desired elsewhere. Anyone got some details?

JustinS
06-10-2012, 08:20 PM
I wish it came stock with more hp.

McKeever
06-10-2012, 08:20 PM
http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S/specs/

sLoWnStEaDy
06-10-2012, 08:45 PM
200hp, i was hoping for more like 350ish. 2700lb with like 53/47 weight distribution though. I like the look, a lot. I dont know shit about toyotas but I was really hoping for something more "supraish" engine wise...

chayxse
06-10-2012, 08:48 PM
It's supposed to be more like the old AE86 corollas. I personally love the looks of them and I bet they are a blast to drive.
I've heard some negative things about how some stuff is put together, especially the interior.

Chase
06-10-2012, 08:51 PM
They supposedly handle great. They look good too. There will be a lot of aftermarket support for these, a lot of shops have already snagged some up.

Tra-Kyoto|6666|Rocket Bunny rendering for their kit...

AutoMods
06-10-2012, 11:46 PM
agreed, needs 300+ horsepower. toyota doesn't have the balls to to step it up

Domestic Disturbance
06-11-2012, 01:15 AM
or if you prefer a different badge...
http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html

slow ride
06-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Whats with toyota using a boxer engine? Did they do if for height reasons, etc? Seems weird but I guess you could turbo it like a normal boxer. I'm sure it's not overbuilt though.

85XR7Project
06-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Whats with toyota using a boxer engine? Did they do if for height reasons, etc? Seems weird but I guess you could turbo it like a normal boxer. I'm sure it's not overbuilt though.

It was a partnership between Subaru and Toyota to build a rwd coupe. Kinda like mitsubishi and Chrysler back in the day or GM and izuzu.

slow ride
06-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Yea, but it's just weird to have it between two manufactures of the same country I guess.

Drifte
06-11-2012, 08:32 AM
I've been following the progress of this car since it was an idea in about 2006. Originally to be a cheap rwd fun platform, its price went up every year. The boxer motor is about knee height and is used to keep a very low center of gravity. The power is low, but its designed to work with the car not send you into debt roasting off tires. The scion version suspension induces over steer while Subaru went with a more balance handling. Or so I have read, if the STI version comes out I REALLY hope a turbo goes on. If it gets a turbo, I know my next car. However for the price, why wouldnt you buy a corvette instead?

Like someone said before, it was to mimic the ae86 corolla, however they really messed up pricing it. But a boxer with a toyota tranny works for me!

85XR7Project
06-11-2012, 09:26 AM
It's a neat idea but for the money I'd be looking at a lot of other vehicles.

Chase
06-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Give it 5 years. There will be a lot of aftermarket support and they will be affordable. I think we will see a lot of these around.

McKeever
06-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I've been following the progress of this car since it was an idea in about 2006. Originally to be a cheap rwd fun platform, its price went up every year. The boxer motor is about knee height and is used to keep a very low center of gravity. The power is low, but its designed to work with the car not send you into debt roasting off tires. The scion version suspension induces over steer while Subaru went with a more balance handling. Or so I have read, if the STI version comes out I REALLY hope a turbo goes on. If it gets a turbo, I know my next car. However for the price, why wouldnt you buy a corvette instead?

Like someone said before, it was to mimic the ae86 corolla, however they really messed up pricing it. But a boxer with a toyota tranny works for me!

I agree with Chase, give it a few years, supply and demand will take its course and the price will come down.

I thought I read somewhere that the STI version that was being worked on was just going to have a bunch of weight reduction in the form of carbon fiber body parts, but that may have changed.

Domestic Disturbance
06-11-2012, 06:20 PM
How similar is the engine in this car compared to a wrx? Would an sti style turbo setup be capable?

TbTalon94
06-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Just reminds me of a Genesis and believe me the low power sucks terribly. That car needs already 250 HP. Remember they rate it at flywheel power so it would only make like 185 to the wheels. That's balls slow.

Domestic Disturbance
06-11-2012, 08:38 PM
I would hope the engineering that went into this car would be much higher than the genesis though.

AutoMods
06-11-2012, 10:29 PM
i was going to say it also reminds me of a genesis which i don't believe has really caught on as much as evo and sti. i wonder how much of a fan base this car will catch

tylers88
06-11-2012, 10:50 PM
I think its a cool looking car

Drifte
06-12-2012, 06:48 AM
This car doesnt compare with a Genesis. The design and engineering into this car has been ongoing for years now. Its very light, uses a directed injected 2.0l boxer. I did see the plans for STI gets better suspension and brakes and stickers, thats it. Previous wrx 2.0l turbo models werent direct injection, and the only thing I do know is it has a very different intake manifold. It also probably doesnt have any room for the exhaust manifolds up front.

I love the car, just not the price.

85XR7Project
06-12-2012, 08:27 AM
It'd be neat if there were swap options like a STi/WRX boxer or LSx or something like that.

Chase
06-12-2012, 08:48 AM
They are swapping motors in them. All of the major tuners in Japan have done motor swaps with the exception of HKS, who developed a super charger kit for the engine thats in it.

garyLT1
06-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Picking up a black on black FRS on tuesday girlfriend dad bought it and lucky me gets to drive it back from ames. can't wait to get on it and see what kind of balls those cars have.

85XR7Project
06-17-2012, 07:18 PM
I have a feeling it might be a bit of a dissapointment.

garyLT1
06-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I have a feeling it might be a bit of a dissapointment.

Well I'll find out tuesday not like it's my car but I'm just excited to be the first first to drive it off the lot. I'm never driven a new car off the lot before.

Jappbox
06-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Worst Idea ever, I dont get it?? 200hp but make it some what light weight 2600+ still going to be slow as ass. IMO Ford,Dodge,Chevy have the right Idea, lots of horsepower. I mean a Ford Torus has 365hp. Only thing good from Japan in the last 10 years is the Nissan GTR. and they are stoping production for few years on those. The Nissan 370z is a Ideal Road course car with 320hp/3400lbs but only seats 2. Poor toyota should have went back to the MkIV supra and MR2 days. And Subaru just makes rally carsand good snow driving sedans period. They dont go fast without blowing up.

85XR7Project
06-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Worst Idea ever, I dont get it?? 200hp but make it some what light weight 2600+ still going to be slow as ass. IMO Ford,Dodge,Chevy have the right Idea, lots of horsepower. I mean a Ford Torus has 365hp. Only thing good from Japan in the last 10 years is the Nissan GTR. and they are stoping production for few years on those. The Nissan 370z is a Ideal Road course car with 320hp/3400lbs but only seats 2. Poor toyota should have went back to the MkIV supra and MR2 days. And Subaru just makes rally carsand good snow driving sedans period. They dont go fast without blowing up.

Couldn't agree more. Japan has really become like the US of the 90's, where did all the interesting imports go? I want to see some mean turbo'd I6's or H4's (which the FRS needed). In the meantime the US has REALLY come out ahead. The new Viper is amazing, V8's from Ford and GM have really come a LONG way and they have destroyed the old thought that American cars can only go straight. Maybe I just read too many magazines...

Chase
06-18-2012, 08:25 AM
I dont think power has anything to do with it. The cars I have read are exceptionally balanced, which was the goal.

200hp is plenty for having fun (see link)
http://jalopnik.com/5918932/the-wait-for-the-first-scion-fr%20s-crash-is-over

LT1Dan
06-18-2012, 11:57 AM
I dont think power has anything to do with it. The cars I have read are exceptionally balanced, which was the goal.

200hp is plenty for having fun (see link)
http://jalopnik.com/5918932/the-wait-for-the-first-scion-fr%20s-crash-is-over

Eh, just because that guy wasn't used to RWD doesn't mean they have enough power. I would agree that on paper they look underpowered. I would have to drive one to really have an opinion though.

Chase
06-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I was kind of being sarcastic when refering to enough power with the link. I just posted the link for laughs.

These are not being built as sports cars, but rather a sporty car. If we wanted to see this with 300hp we would be looking to spend another $10,000. Corvettes, evo's, even 370z's, This is not meant to compete with them. I am just excited to see something like this back in the market. I'm glad its not some 350hp inline 6 turbo. If ther were the case it would just be another overpriced "sports car".

Chase
06-18-2012, 12:20 PM
http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/subaru/brz/2013/fe/2013_subaru_brz_f34_fe_327122_717.jpg

From what I'm reading, STI has claimed they will be turbo charging this in the next couple of years.

AutoMods
06-18-2012, 01:52 PM
hopefully it gets the 2.5l motor in the future, instead of the 2.0

LT1Dan
06-18-2012, 02:26 PM
I was kind of being sarcastic when refering to enough power with the link. I just posted the link for laughs.

These are not being built as sports cars, but rather a sporty car. If we wanted to see this with 300hp we would be looking to spend another $10,000. Corvettes, evo's, even 370z's, This is not meant to compete with them. I am just excited to see something like this back in the market. I'm glad its not some 350hp inline 6 turbo. If ther were the case it would just be another overpriced "sports car".

Ah, gotcha. Sarcasm is hard to read online. haha

I agree with everything you said. I'll probably never own one because my list of wanted cars is too long already, but as enthusiasts we can never have enough fun, sporty cars at our disposal.

Jappbox
06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
200hp would be good for a car weighing 1500lbs. now a Lotus Elise, weighing 1900lbs and having 189hp, or SC model with 218hp would be fun. 600lbs lighter than a FRS and about the same power. Scion/Subi needed 300hp/2500lbs Factory turboed and it would have been the talk of the town.

McKeever
06-18-2012, 07:28 PM
It's nothing new to build a less than perfect car in the first year of production. Just like any other car, every year that goes by the manufactures tweak and change things to make the cars more exciting and more desirable. That’s about the only way to maintain excitement year after year. I think they have set a good foundation for the future, but as of now this is just meant to be a good entry level sports car, and IMO I think they have done just fine.

Domestic Disturbance
06-19-2012, 08:51 PM
that sti render looks sick

Jappbox
06-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Just saw shops are puting 2jz engines int he Scion FRS model. Now THATS how they should have come from the factory! Boxer engines sucks (good low center of gravity for Auto Cross lovers) But thats about it.

sparkles
06-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Took a look at one today. Was at the Toyota stealership getting a new fuel line for my Grandpa's Highlander and thought I'd take a peek inside of one to see what the big deal was. Judging by the window sticker, it's got some decent things from the factory. Torsen diff, big brakes, paddle shifters. Interior was just OK in my opinion. Very surprised it has a rear seat. I thought the one's in F body's were unusable. These were pointless at best. For the money though, there's more bang for your buck cars out there.

Fire Hawk
06-22-2012, 04:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp03SScltzc