PDA

View Full Version : Cheap fun Import?

tylers88
05-30-2012, 10:07 PM
I dont know much about imports other than I've never owned one. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a little car to tinker with on my days off and making it fun to drive. I would drag race it from time to time and autocross it once in a while, more or less I would take it out and beat the snot out of it and just have fun for not much money then let it go after I've had my fun with it. Toatal budget for the car would be $3500 or less including the car. I'm not looking to go fast, just have fun because I have always heard its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. What would be some decent cars that I could get and mod cheap?

bizzle
05-30-2012, 10:24 PM
one word ... honda. for what your trying to accomplish that would prolly be the way to go. i have always been a fan of the second gen integras, and the 92 to 95 civics

tylers88
05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
one word ... honda. for what your trying to accomplish that would prolly be the way to go. i have always been a fan of the second gen integras, and the 92 to 95 civics

Thats what I was thinking, just wanted some ideas. Are the Ebay parts for them just like any other Ebay performance parts for anything else or would they be alright to use for my plans. Im not familar with Honda but I found a stainless steel exhaust from the maniflod gasket to the tip for $200 with shipping, seems cheap or is it just that Honda parts are that cheap?

chayxse
05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Honda parts are just that cheap, and a lot of honda people are cheap.

I'd say something like an FC RX7, throw on some coilovers and weld the diff, all for well under 3500. Go out and drift or autoX.

tylers88
05-30-2012, 11:21 PM
I think after vacation I'm going to start hunting for a 92-95 Civic Coupe.

Domestic Disturbance
05-30-2012, 11:23 PM
You can have a lot of different fun cars for a budget like that. Not saying import is the wrong way to go but you can pick up 5.0s, irocs, gbodies, even an older 2wd shortbox or something all within that amount. All of those have my favorite element - torque.

As far as hondas go, IMO unless you are trying to do the whole engine swap thing I'd steer away from a civic. They are great dd's, lightweight, and you can squeeze some fun out of them, but any 99 or older non SI is making maybe 100hp on a good day. If it had to be a honda I'd say integra or prelude. They definitely have a sportier feel and better engines. Be wary of other peoples honda projects too, the low cost of them attracts a lot of people who don't know what they're doing. And that cheap ebay stuff may work, but its still cheap. Pricing is saved somewhere, either in lack of quality materials or workmanship. I believe shermans car when he got it had a header on it where the flange didn't clear castings on the block. That seems pretty cheap.

Tried and true import seems to be a 240 too, although I'm not sure what those sell for or cost to mod. RWD is a plus though.

tylers88
05-30-2012, 11:35 PM
I have a few buddies that have done engine swaps on the cheap that I would talk to, I wanted an import because I haven't had one before. I planned on trying to find a stock or almost stock car to start with. Integra would be 2nd choice, may know where a 91(I think) is.

Clinical
05-30-2012, 11:58 PM
a shame I just sold my hatch shell.
I had about $4000 total in the project and would of been good for an 11 second car and it would of been an extremely solid build.

However I'd recommend looking at del sol's. They have awesome handling, are still typical little hondas and cheap as hell to mod. The Targa top makes them a lot of fun.

I'd also look into a Miata, i've seen them for 1500-2000 in overall decent condition. They handle great from the factory and the RWD is the big bonus part

85XR7Project
05-31-2012, 04:34 AM
I'd also look into a Miata, i've seen them for 1500-2000 in overall decent condition. They handle great from the factory and the RWD is the big bonus part

Crank snouts are weak on those and they rust badly on the underside. Very very fun cars though, LS1 is an option for swap as well.

Deimos
05-31-2012, 04:35 AM
know of a miata convertible for around 2500

Sleepy
05-31-2012, 06:32 AM
I would suggest something rwd. I am pretty positive everyone can agree that fwd blows.

If I was not neck deep in my car I would get a decent shape fox body and junk yard turbocharge it.

FiFdYnUtZ
05-31-2012, 09:18 AM
a shame I just sold my hatch shell.
I had about $4000 total in the project and would of been good for an 11 second car and it would of been an extremely solid build.

However I'd recommend looking at del sol's. They have awesome handling, are still typical little hondas and cheap as hell to mod. The Targa top makes them a lot of fun.

Ahh yet another "would of" honda build to tack up

Chase
05-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Just buy a 240sx.

3500 you can buy one with an SR, your looking at mid to low 14's stock, 13's if you up the boost. Put another $2,000 in it and you have 12's no problem, probably 11's if your car isnt set up like mine.

FWD is lame and it always will be.

tylers88
05-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys but I have always wanted to build a Civic(not sure why). I have no idea how long I would even keep the car so I will keep the others in mind.

Clinical
05-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Ahh yet another "would of" honda build to tack up

Why am I not surprised this is the only input you come in this thread for? Lol
To clarify though in parts I had around 2500-3000 and it was all good parts no ebay junk. Some parts were used. But you can probably get a civic/motor/trans for 1000-1500 and just a stock build with a good tune can be more than enough to have some fun

Anyway I know you said you're mainly looking for imports. But id also look into third gen fbodies. You can find nice ones for around 2000. They actuallly hanndle amazing since they had more effort put into their handling due to emissions keeping them from making any real power. Id spend like 2k on a third gen throw a junkyard 350 in it and use extra money on suspension/tires and go have fun.

AutoMods
05-31-2012, 04:09 PM
you can find cheap swapped fb and fc rx7's. the ls swapped ones cost more but i've seen some cheap ones that have small block chevys or fords in them. cheap and light, rwd and torque and mostly import ;) . you can capitalize on people dumping their projects. fb would be awesome, those are the lightest

Newgen
06-01-2012, 02:50 PM
you can find cheap swapped fb and fc rx7's. the ls swapped ones cost more but i've seen some cheap ones that have small block chevys or fords in them. cheap and light, rwd and torque and mostly import ;) . you can capitalize on people dumping their projects. fb would be awesome, those are the lightest

I do have a fc v8 car forsale :) lol. It's a sbc not an ls though.

I always loved my MK III supra and there not really that expensive to get one. There just a garage whore.

tylers88
06-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I have decided on a Civic, I want FWD so I could still drive it to work in the winter easier and RWD will get me into trouble trying to do dumb shit.

Clinical
06-01-2012, 10:08 PM
in that case if you still want something fun to cruise as well I'd look into a Del sol, - the targa top is pretty sweet and they handle great. If you can find one that came with the b16 they're pretty peppy for a stock car.

tylers88
06-01-2012, 10:37 PM
in that case if you still want something fun to cruise as well I'd look into a Del sol, - the targa top is pretty sweet and they handle great. If you can find one that came with the b16 they're pretty peppy for a stock car.

I forget about those. I though a coupe with eibach springs and sway bars with an H22, exhaust, CAI, Tune, short shifter and sticky tires would make for a fun car.

Deimos
06-02-2012, 03:16 AM
I do have a fc v8 car forsale :) lol. It's a sbc not an ls though.

I always loved my MK III supra and there not really that expensive to get one. There just a garage whore.

I dont remember seeing pics of this???

tylers88
06-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I though a coupe with eibach springs and sway bars with an H22, exhaust, CAI, Tune, short shifter and sticky tires would make for a fun car.

Would this be decent plan for what I want to do(fun driver, drag race and autox from time to time)?