PDA

View Full Version : lsx coil packs on a BBC?

Domestic Disturbance
03-25-2012, 01:30 PM
I really like the idea of using LS coil packs on my current BBC setup. Anyone know the best route to do this? I want to eventually change my ignition and coil anyways, and thought if this wasn't too radical to see if I could. Did some googleing and really only got BS3. There has to be an easier way, either via crank trigger or other way. Any input?

Scott
03-25-2012, 06:06 PM
The only LOGICAL way I can think of is going to aftermarket fuel injection. You could probably look into timing computers for LS motors or ford mod motors that are made with the switch to a carburator in mind. I know with mod motors they usually convert to a distributor mounted on the cam cover when going to a carburator that way you can use a standard MSD dist with 1 coil. You just want this for the look of COP I take it?? because you can get individual cylinder control, custom timing curve based on anything and plenty of spark with just 1 coil and standard dist alot cheaper than trying to convert to COP

stangvortech
03-26-2012, 12:27 AM
http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=6897

I would think you could do this on your motor some how.

Deimos
03-26-2012, 03:50 AM
If you can do coil on plugs from an optispark anything is possible.

bizzle
03-26-2012, 06:20 AM
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/6010K2/10002/-1 maybe something like this could be adapted

black88gt
03-26-2012, 07:12 AM
MSD crank trigger setup would do it. Check the carb section om tech most of those guys use a particular model that does work with LS coils

Domestic Disturbance
03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
What sparked the idea was a conversion they did in car craft I think it was. It was on an sbc. What was interesting is that they went from a decent msd setup to ls coils and they picked up a decent amount of ponies, as well as being much more efficient due to the lower misfire count.

I think it'd be a cool way to modernize it a little without being a trend whore

*had to edit, half the words I messed up on my phone*

bizzle
03-26-2012, 11:18 PM
i would figure out if that kit or product or however it was done could be adapted to a bbc. even try to contact the company that made it . that would definitely allow you to throw alot of boost/spray/whatever on that motor

Domestic Disturbance
03-27-2012, 12:49 AM
This is the article. If I wasn't half awake I'd go over it again quick.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1111_small_block_chevrolet_ls_conversion/viewall.html

bizzle
03-27-2012, 04:34 AM
it says its possible to do it to a rat motor
We won’t get into the details here, but it’s also possible to build an LS computer-controlled, big-block Chevy using similar, late- ’90s-era, L-29 Rat motor components.

Read more: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1111_small_block_chevrolet_ls_conversion/viewall.html#ixzz1qJPHEH5Y
bam!
the only problem is it seems like what they are doing is converting a tuned port/lt motor to an ls computer, which may be an issue if you want to stay carbed

Domestic Disturbance
03-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Yup, and I plan on staying carbed. So if I ran a crank trigger setup, I would still need the ls computer to run the coil packs right? Then how would I link those 2 items? All of this ignition stuff is a new ballpark for me.

Also, would I be able to lock out my timing for when I started the engine. I believe Scott mentioned that a high CR setup like mine would benefit from locking the distributor.

Scott
03-28-2012, 08:02 PM
locking it makes it harder to start, but on a engine like yours there is really no need to run a ignition curve on it. You will be amazed at the throttle response thats for sure. Im not familiar with what timing computers are available to run COP but Im sure there is something out there that use a signal from a crank trigger "which is the same signal as the pickup in the dist" to fire coil packs. you will still need a fake dist to run the oil pump. I would doubt if you would notice any power gain of a COP setup over a good MSD box/distributor. but the COP would look cooler I give ya that, just more complicated with no other advantage IMO