PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Muffler / Exhaust Laws

Caleb
03-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Ok I want to know these and see if I'm on the right track.

Last night I was out with a friend and we were metal detecting in Thomas Park in Marion. We were in the middle of the park when we had noticed that a cop on one of the side streets drove by, whipped a bitch and came back and dealt with the 2 cars that were still parked down in the front of the park. I looked at the cell phone and realized it was 10:22 and we were 22 minutes over the closing time. We decided to say screw it and leave and as we were leaving we got flagged down and the asshole wouldn't stop shining his bright ass LED light in our eyes as we were approaching. I stopped and put the window down and the cop (some younger guy) with the "cop" attitude" asked for our licenses and why we were there in the park after it had closed, and said we were Metal Detecting. And he said "why are you in a park after hours when its closed detecting metal." I said "this is an older park and we were looking for old coins, and our equipment is in the back seat". He said "alright". And asked for my registration and insurance. I got them out and while I was looking for my registration paper he asked a question and while I was in the middle of checking my side door pockets. He asked "Did you know your exhaust is illegal". I was too busy concentrating on trying to find the registration and he goes "SIR". And I said "what was the question?" He goes, "did you know your exhaust is illegal?" I said "really?" he said "don't you hear how loud it is? It's too loud. Did your exhaust come from the factory like this?" I said, "No" and he just said "It's illegal then". I instantly knew he was spewing bullshit out of his mouth because if this was the case, CR would have busted me a long time ago for it or say something. he ran our information and came back clean and let us go with no ticket. The best part was when I backed out without reverse lights, he didn't say or notice shit.

But then I was compelled to look up muffler laws and what I found regarding Iowa Laws:

http://search.legis.state.ia.us/NXT/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm

450.2(16)
Exhaust system.
Every motor vehicle shall have an exhaust system meeting the following requirements:
a.
The system shall be free of leaks, including the exhaust manifold (or headers), piping forward of the muffler, the muffler(s), and tail piping.
b.
Exhaust fumes shall be emitted to the extremity of the vehicle, behind the rear wheels, or to the extremity of the vehicle within 6 inches in front of the rear wheels. Exhaust fumes from trucks, other than enclosed vans, may be emitted to the rear of that part of the vehicle designed for and normally used for carrying the driver and passengers.
c.
Each exhaust system must be equipped with a muffler that prevents excessive noise.
d.
No part of the exhaust system shall pass through any area of the vehicle that is used as a passenger-carrying compartment, and shall be so constructed that persons entering the vehicle cannot make contact with the exhaust system.
e.
All exterior side exhaust pipes must be fully shielded and any vertical truck exhaust stacks shall be shielded to the top of the cab.

Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass , or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway. A motor vehicle shall not be operated on a highway with a muffler that emits a noise exceeding ninety-five decibels as measured on the “A” scale in accordance with society of automotive engineers standard J1492 using a stationary sound level test incorporated under that standard. The department of transportation shall adopt rules prescribing appropriate equipment to be used for roadside testing of muffler noise.

I have full header back dual exhaust, 2 mufflers (one rattling muffler while driving) no leaks, no cutouts, and it dumps behind the car 100%, if I was running straight pipes or off the headers I would understand, but I have 2 mufflers on my car reducing the noise quite a bit. And I highly doubt its WAY over 95 decibels @ 2800rpm. I guess my engine must be illegal too since its not from the factory...

So has anyone else run into this bullshit? I know I heard Marion Cops were bad but come on. Just blatantly accusing me of having "illegal" exhaust and then not even testing it.

Speaking of which, I think I will test my car tomorrow for the hell of it.

Deimos
03-08-2012, 04:57 AM
He was talking out his ass, their is even ways around no cats.

86svo9L
03-08-2012, 07:07 AM
I got pulled over by a lady cop by my kids daycare. I had ran SLP exhaust for close to 4 years with the worst cop harassment being a thumbs up for my car. She pulled me over and told me some BS about if she could hear my car from 50ft away that it exceeds state law and was illegal. I mentioned the above law to her and she told me that its subjective and it is up to her to decide on what is excessive even if the ticket would not fly in court that it would not stop her from pulling me over for excessive noise every time she saw my car until I got quieter exhaust. Needless to say I installed some better mufflers, the fact of getting pulled over every morning on my way to work after dropping my kid off was not appealing.

Sleepy
03-08-2012, 07:10 AM
He was talking out his ass, their is even ways around no cats.

I have been considering this lately.

Do you know how to get around with no cats? I have read some guys having luck with emissions and actually passing with no cats because everything is still within the legal requirements of emissions.

SaNdMaNsSi
03-08-2012, 07:44 AM
I got pulled over by a lady cop by my kids daycare. I had ran SLP exhaust for close to 4 years with the worst cop harassment being a thumbs up for my car. She pulled me over and told me some BS about if she could hear my car from 50ft away that it exceeds state law and was illegal. I mentioned the above law to her and she told me that its subjective and it is up to her to decide on what is excessive even if the ticket would not fly in court that it would not stop her from pulling me over for excessive noise every time she saw my car until I got quieter exhaust. Needless to say I installed some better mufflers, the fact of getting pulled over every morning on my way to work after dropping my kid off was not appealing.

I would've just said "be my guest." Then, document every day she pulls you over. After a couple of months of documentation, she'd lose her job and you'd get a nice cash settlement for police harassment. It happens all the time for less.

SaNdMaNsSi
03-08-2012, 07:45 AM
I have been considering this lately.

Do you know how to get around with no cats? I have read some guys having luck with emissions and actually passing with no cats because everything is still within the legal requirements of emissions.

My civic has "no cat." It's a brand new "cat" with nothing inside of it, but looks like one. Never received an ounce of grief from anyone.

APPLES355
03-08-2012, 08:22 AM
By any chance was this blond female cop in marion? the only reason i ask is because a few years ago i was out on a drive right after putting the new engine in my car and got pulled over at the hyvee in marion for the same bs. She argued with me about how my exhaust is illegal because i had no mufflers. I called her bullshit and made her get under the car to verify that there were mufflers. when she got back up she changed her story to my exhaust was illegal because it was too loud. The arguement continued without getting anywhere so i took the ticket. the next day i went into the police station and complained about her lack of understanding of the law and cars in general. knowing my luck she was on duty and they called her in to the station. lets just say the extremely loud arguement ended in her slamming the door behind her and saying "fine i will see you court you little shit!!". I found it kind of amusing, but i looked over to the receptionist and said, "wow, that is what you consider to be professional attitude? may i speak to her superior?". The guy that came out went outside with me and listened to my car without a db meter. he said that to this officer it was too loud, but wouldnt be the case to others. It utimately was up to the officers decression. tell me how the F**k can it be there decision when they dont know shit about cars and what the db's really are? Hell the same cop tried to pull over Dustin's Duster for not wearing his seat belt, but she had the lap belt on which is legal for that year of car. She had no idea what the law really was, but was trying to enforce her interpretation of it. The best part was that she didnt even notice that he was running slicks that werent dot legal. I tell you it pisses me off that these stupid individuals are able to give tickets for stuff they have no clue about.

Sorry for the rant, but when i lived in marion it was a struggle with two particular cops. lets just say border line harrassment. I will also say that i have a few friends that are marion cops. One of which is an avid car guy so just hope you get him to pull you over.

86svo9L
03-08-2012, 08:36 AM
By any chance was this blond female cop in marion? the only reason i ask is because a few years ago i was out on a drive right after putting the new engine in my car and got pulled over at the hyvee in marion for the same bs. She argued with me about how my exhaust is illegal because i had no mufflers. I called her bullshit and made her get under the car to verify that there were mufflers. when she got back up she changed her story to my exhaust was illegal because it was too loud. The arguement continued without getting anywhere so i took the ticket. the next day i went into the police station and complained about her lack of understanding of the law and cars in general. knowing my luck she was on duty and they called her in to the station. lets just say the extremely loud arguement ended in her slamming the door behind her and saying "fine i will see you court you little shit!!". I found it kind of amusing, but i looked over to the receptionist and said, "wow, that is what you consider to be professional attitude? may i speak to her superior?". The guy that came out went outside with me and listened to my car without a db meter. he said that to this officer it was too loud, but wouldnt be the case to others. It utimately was up to the officers decression. tell me how the F**k can it be there decision when they dont know shit about cars and what the db's really are? Hell the same cop tried to pull over Dustin's Duster for not wearing his seat belt, but she had the lap belt on which is legal for that year of car. She had no idea what the law really was, but was trying to enforce her interpretation of it. The best part was that she didnt even notice that he was running slicks that werent dot legal. I tell you it pisses me off that these stupid individuals are able to give tickets for stuff they have no clue about.

Sorry for the rant, but when i lived in marion it was a struggle with two particular cops. lets just say border line harrassment. I will also say that i have a few friends that are marion cops. One of which is an avid car guy so just hope you get him to pull you over.

This happened in CR, I work downtown so she nailed me just a couple blocks from downtown on Mount Vernon. She was fairly husky and blond. I really wanted to fight it but have way to much other crap to deal with besides getting pulled over every morning. Now I mess around in my car a ton more, before I always pussyfooted around because I did not want to draw attention, so I guess this is a major backfire for her.

Drifte
03-08-2012, 08:48 AM
How neither Eric or myself have been pulled over with our exhaust trevor made seems unbelievable now. haha, its so damn loud!

Clinical
03-08-2012, 09:19 AM
How I never got pulled over in my LS1 amazes me still. It was my daily driver and I constantly drove by cops, even sat at lights beside them. When I drove it to CR and Des Moines a couple times I always drove by cops no problem.

It was not exactly quiet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tCZwbejeg&list=UUi4cDw4zdaMR_RcD8yZRcLg&index=2&feature=plcp

c_mart_28
03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
I once had a cop here in Des Moines pull up along side me in the Cobra when I had the JBA system on it which was quite a lot louder than my current Magnaflow system.

He had me roll down my 20% tinted windows, tell me that my exhaust was too loud. I said "ok," and he moved along.

That said, my new system is so much quieter under everyday driving circumstances and I absolutely love it.

Chase
03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I've been told my exhaust is illegal because it is to loud. I told the officer it was legal. We had a quick back and forth over it. And when I got my ticket that was not on there.

"Each exhaust system must be equipped with a muffler that prevents excessive noise."

Unless they have excessive noise documented somewhere as an actual decibel level I don't for see this ever being a problem.

The other ones though... I guess be sure you don't route your exhaust under your passenger seat. *cough dave cough*

chayxse
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I have also been pulled over a few times in Marion for exhaust modification. Once in my black 240 which was understandable as it was loud. Also in my blue 240 for having a completely illegal exhaust. The officer told me that I didnt have a muffler, resonator or cat and that the piping was too large. First off my muffler is visible from any rear view. I then proceeded to point out the resonator and cat, and that was that.
I've also been pulled over in Marion for my car being too low, which I have yet to find a law stating required heights of vehicles.

Domestic Disturbance
03-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I know big cans on imports draw a lot more attention than dumps on a domestic car. I never got bugged for my cars exhaust. There are some certain marion cops that are clueless dicks, and they have a few rookies I know of that definitely aren't car savvy, but there are also good ones. I've been pulled over by a female officer pull me over, tell me I had a nice car, and apologize for the ticket. I've also been given a wreckless driving ticket while I was sitting on a couch. The biggest surprise I've ever had was blowing over after speeding in a neighborhood, and he let me go. Honestly the biggest wake up call and favor I've ever gotten. I will say their officers on duty per population is silly.

chayxse
03-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I will say their officers on duty per population is silly.

+1

Ricky
03-08-2012, 03:07 PM
My exhaust at idle is about 92-95db... Under WOT it's over 100 and I have never had a problem and have had it for over a year. Guess I'm lucky lol.

LT1Dan
03-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I know big cans on imports draw a lot more attention than dumps on a domestic car. I never got bugged for my cars exhaust. There are some certain marion cops that are clueless dicks, and they have a few rookies I know of that definitely aren't car savvy, but there are also good ones. I've been pulled over by a female officer pull me over, tell me I had a nice car, and apologize for the ticket. I've also been given a wreckless driving ticket while I was sitting on a couch. The biggest surprise I've ever had was blowing over after speeding in a neighborhood, and he let me go. Honestly the biggest wake up call and favor I've ever gotten. I will say their officers on duty per population is silly.

Were you able to get out of that reckless driving ticket?

Also, should be interesting to see how they treat my car since I'm moving back to Marion. Never had any trouble with them before but it was mostly stock back then.

JacobS
03-08-2012, 03:20 PM
^youre fucked

LT1Dan
03-08-2012, 03:21 PM
My exhaust at idle is about 92-95db... Under WOT it's over 100 and I have never had a problem and have had it for over a year. Guess I'm lucky lol.

How did you measure the db level of your exhaust? I'd be interested to see where mine sits.

Also, why don't the cops ever pull over straight-piped Harleys? Fuckers are loud as hell and they sound like shit. If my cars going to be loud, at least it will sound good!

LT1Dan
03-08-2012, 03:21 PM
^youre fucked

Guess I won't be moving then. ;)

JacobS
03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
touche....fucker

i dont understand how you guys keep getting pulled over for exhaust. i drove numerous times in marion with full 3in, with no muffler or resonator on shit sounding honda and never got pulled over...

1FastSRT-4
03-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I've driven with a open cutout for a year and never been pulled over for it, but that's Marion cops for you. I got 3 window tint tickets in Marion in 2 weeks, all by young cops. I've passed, state patrol, CR cops, sheriffs, they just look, and go about their business. Marion on the other hand is filled with young cops who are trying to make a name for themselves.

Deimos
03-08-2012, 06:48 PM
I dont have exhaust on my beater. It will happen someday but I figure they are too lazy to pull over my pile.

Domestic Disturbance
03-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Lol ya I got out of that ticket. The officer showed the video evidence in court, which was him driving down a street, where he then pointed out burnout marks on the ground. He then pulls up to a shop with 3 mustangs, my car, a focus, some other cars, and only one mustang was running but blocked inside a shop. The judge asked if he'd even seen me in the car (as I was walking out of the shop in the video) and after the officer said no he threw the case out.

His only supporting evidence was that the tires on the rear of my car were warm, whereas the tires on the focus and the cobra weren't.

Caleb
03-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I think The Marion PD needs to stop using the exhaust as a crutch to get tickets as it seems its something they automatically look for from what I've been reading. I know they have "unspoken quota's" and I think its ridiculous that they accuse and automatically assume its illegal if its been modified which is far from the truth. However if they can prove your average highway rpm / decibel reading is in fact over 95, then they may have a point. However, the decibel law is one of those fucking stupid laws that needs to be re-looked at. I understand they don't want someone running open header in neighbor hoods being a disturbance. I think if you have mufflers that make it reasonably quieter I don't see the problem, especially when its up to legal structural standards to be on a vehicle. Also I think the police need to have a better attitude rather than the stern authoritative attitude cops have. I understand why they asked for my information because I was at a park 25 minutes after it was closed because we lost track of time doing some detecting, but there is no excuse to be an asshole about it.

Caleb
03-08-2012, 08:02 PM

Cops can't dictate whats excessive just by saying so, especially if you have full working exhaust on your car, they can hold up the current 95 decibel law by actually testing it, but that's about it. If its over 95db at idle, I can see them handing a ticket to you. But again, I don't agree with the current decibel law one bit, its fucking stupid.

Batwood
03-08-2012, 08:14 PM
I've cut off the cats of nearly every vehicle i've ever owned. Just because.
I can't imagine a situation in Iowa where you'd actually be ticketed for the lack of a CAT...

I've been pulled over once in the Rustang but I closed the cutouts and the officer just looked confused and let me go.

sparkles
03-08-2012, 10:11 PM
I've driven with a open cutout for a year and never been pulled over for it, but that's Marion cops for you. I got 3 window tint tickets in Marion in 2 weeks, all by young cops. I've passed, state patrol, CR cops, sheriffs, they just look, and go about their business. Marion on the other hand is filled with young cops who are trying to make a name for themselves.

Don't SRT4s come from the factory without a muffler?

bizzle
03-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Fun fact a car will actually run cleaner without a cat as long as it is in good working order and it has been kept. Up well

stangvortech
03-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Lol ya I got out of that ticket. The officer showed the video evidence in court, which was him driving down a street, where he then pointed out burnout marks on the ground. He then pulls up to a shop with 3 mustangs, my car, a focus, some other cars, and only one mustang was running but blocked inside a shop. The judge asked if he'd even seen me in the car (as I was walking out of the shop in the video) and after the officer said no he threw the case out.

His only supporting evidence was that the tires on the rear of my car were warm, whereas the tires on the focus and the cobra weren't.

that was a funny night. that cop was a dip shit.

Domestic Disturbance
03-09-2012, 02:56 AM
that was a funny night. that cop was a dip shit.

Best part is after the case they stood in the doorway and tried to give me some sort of intimidating stare down ( 2 other officers and him). I think being a police officer would be an excellent job, but the level some of my co workers operate at would send me up a fucking wall even being associated with them.

I still think tint tickets are a joke. I understand the philosophy of keeping people from painting their windows solid black, but 9/10 times its a simple reason to pull someone over. Holy shit have you heard, those damn people with tinted windows are rapping babies and doing lines off the steering wheel!

Deimos
03-09-2012, 05:15 AM
Fun fact a car will actually run cleaner without a cat as long as it is in good working order and it has been kept. Up well

Explain the thought process on this because it sounds like someone is talking out of their a#^...

black88gt
03-09-2012, 08:29 AM
I still think tint tickets are a joke. I understand the philosophy of keeping people from painting their windows solid black, but 9/10 times its a simple reason to pull someone over. Holy shit have you heard, those damn people with tinted windows are rapping babies and doing lines off the steering wheel!

Officer safety is a big one on tint. Not getting into right or wrong but ya

black88gt
03-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Also I think the police need to have a better attitude rather than the stern authoritative attitude cops have. I understand why they asked for my information because I was at a park 25 minutes after it was closed because we lost track of time doing some detecting, but there is no excuse to be an asshole about it.

Authoritative comes from needing to be in control of the situation both for their safety and to do their job effectively. And whether you like it or not they are an authority figure. They deal with the lowest of low lives every day so a little courtesy and respect goes a long way. I have been been at least twice as many warnings as citations and have dealt with marion plenty of times. Direct responses with sir or ma'am have worked wonders.

black88gt
03-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Those are just my experiences flame on

sparkles
03-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Authoritative comes from needing to be in control of the situation both for their safety and to do their job effectively. And whether you like it or not they are an authority figure. They deal with the lowest of low lives every day so a little courtesy and respect goes a long way. I have been been at least twice as many warnings as citations and have dealt with marion plenty of times. Direct responses with sir or ma'am have worked wonders.
That used to work. Not so much these days where departments are coming up with BS excuses to wring money out of it's citizens to avoid layoffs due to budget cuts.

black88gt
03-09-2012, 09:26 AM
That used to work. Not so much these days where departments are coming up with BS excuses to wring money out of it's citizens to avoid layoffs due to budget cuts.

I wouldn't doubt that, like I said just my experiences. Got a warning 2 weeks ago from a state patrol officer and I've always been told they are hard asses with speeding.

Sleepy
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Don't SRT4s come from the factory without a muffler?

Correct, I believe they have a resonator however no muffler.

sparkles
03-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Hmm, how do they get past the TSB then?

Sleepy
03-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Zero clue, unless it does not go over the db level.

1FastSRT-4
03-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Correct only a resonator.

tylers88
03-09-2012, 07:47 PM
My 88 had the exhaust chopped off at the back of the cab, had 1 state trooper tell me it sounded kind of loud and it never went past that. I have had tinted front roll downs on my 04 crew since I got it in nov. 10, smoked the tails a month or so ago, and never got pulled for either. My gf and I were on our way to Mason City and she got pulled over for 83 in a 70 and got a written warning.

Caleb
03-09-2012, 08:41 PM

I would be much more inclined to agree to disagree on needing a certain "cop attitude" to control situations. Proper communication is more important when it comes to human interaction. Cop or not, they're still human. Not everyone deserves to be talked down upon just because a citizen isn't an authoritative figure. I don't know for sure but I would imagine they are properly trained to handle situations on the fly. Also you're more likely to earn respect at your job when you act professionally than an asshole in this case. Had that cop that did the shit he did and acted more professionally I wouldn't have had a problem with him what so ever. He rightfully came off as one of those cops who lets the badge go to his head and frankly, I despise people like that greatly.

Keep in mind, I've never gotten a ticket and always have been nice and polite to officers, I've seen all sorts of different attitude minded cops. I've seen much nicer and people oriented, and then I've seen some dick head cops. There role in society is to uphold the law, not interpret it in their own minds.

It just kind of reminded me when I worked at sears as a manager, I always was nice when I asked people to get stuff done for me and they wouldn't do it. I would get pissed after having to ask the me 5 times to get the shit down. However, it wasn't a communication problem, they just didn't respect my role as a manager and that's where the breakdown was. Someone was just being a piece of shit person and I'll tell you what, it never started with me. My point? If people were respectful to each other from the get go, there is no need to bring an bad attitude into the mix when it comes to means of communication or doing a job.

Like I said, we can agree to disagree on that point.

Domestic Disturbance
03-10-2012, 02:40 AM
+1 caleb.

black88gt
03-10-2012, 11:17 AM
There role in society is to uphold the law, not interpret it in their own minds.

We can agree to disagree on the rest, but I must disagree in part with this. Many laws are written so that the officer is allowed an amount of leeway where their judgement comes in.

The officer enforces the law as they interpret it, and the courts decide if their judgement was valid in THEIR interpretation. The American justice system is built on the the judicial branch's interpretation of the laws given to them by the legislative branch. Sadly this is why there is a tiered court system; cases are escalated to the next level to be judged based on the interpretation of more and more prestigious courts.

Caleb
03-10-2012, 07:12 PM
We can agree to disagree on the rest, but I must disagree in part with this. Many laws are written so that the officer is allowed an amount of leeway where their judgement comes in.

The officer enforces the law as they interpret it, and the courts decide if their judgement was valid in THEIR interpretation. The American justice system is built on the the judicial branch's interpretation of the laws given to them by the legislative branch. Sadly this is why there is a tiered court system; cases are escalated to the next level to be judged based on the interpretation of more and more prestigious courts.

Just to point out in my situation, if the law says the car decibel can't be over 95 @ highway rpms and a cop claims my exhaust is "illegal" because its A. Too loud or B. Illegal because its modified/not factory, all without actually checking/testing it. Its bad logic and complete false interpretation of the law and they shouldn't be writing bullshit tickets for it, however in my situation, he didn't write me a ticket. They aren't allowed to deviate from the law that's in place, especially when its that black and white. If a cop can't interpret the law properly, they probably shouldn't be in law enforcement in the first place. Any cop who gives a ticket for "exhaust modification" and without actually testing the decibel's of the exhaust to justify the ticket, the cop should get that badge shoved up his ass because hes obviously too retarded to do his job properly. However that's just IMO.

Caleb
03-10-2012, 07:13 PM
But I do agree, there are some laws that are just worded fucky where the interpretation is kind of out there. But in most cases, its pretty black and white when it comes to vehicles.

tylers88
03-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Just to point out in my situation, if the law says the car decibel can't be over 95 @ highway rpms

How far away is this tested? A Corvette with the factory exhaust that has the little flipper door, can't remember the name right now, probably wouldn't pass if the meter was on the bumper. Also what exaclty are high RPMs that is very subjective to the vehicle. My car has a 5.3(325 ci) and 60 mph is about 1700 rpm where as my truck with a 5.3(323 ci) is about 2100 rpm at 60.

Caleb
03-10-2012, 11:49 PM
How far away is this tested? A Corvette with the factory exhaust that has the little flipper door, can't remember the name right now, probably wouldn't pass if the meter was on the bumper. Also what exaclty are high RPMs that is very subjective to the vehicle. My car has a 5.3(325 ci) and 60 mph is about 1700 rpm where as my truck with a 5.3(323 ci) is about 2100 rpm at 60.

I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, 5-6ft away. But I could be completely wrong. I think the DOT are the ones that need to approve the sound and exhaust officially for the road. But like I said, this is a stupid ass law that needs to be re-looked at.

sparkles
03-11-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, 5-6ft away. But I could be completely wrong. I think the DOT are the ones that need to approve the sound and exhaust officially for the road. But like I said, this is a stupid ass law that needs to be re-looked at.
Exactly. It's one of those laws that's there to give excuses for someone to be pulled over for something else. Just like tint. Just like seatbelts. Just like a license plate light out.

DustinsDuster
03-16-2012, 11:24 PM

i've had my run ins with Marion cops; some are very cool, some are very not. the woman cop who pulled me over for the seatbelt deal first told me i wasnt wearing my seatbelt. when i showed her i had my lap belt on, she told me if there was a shoulder belt, i had to wear it. normally, there are two little clips above the window in my car for you to clip the shoulder belt up so it doesnt hang. if she hadnt have seen it hanging, i probably never would have gotten pulled over.

not sure if it was the same woman cop, but i do remember getting pulled over for my exhaust by a woman cop in marion. i'm not sure, but i might have still had the Sears Muzzler mufflers on my car; dont think so though. either way, the conversation went something like this:

her: "the reason i pulled you over is because your car has no exhaust system"

me: "actually, it does. it's a little loud, but there is exhaust on this car"

her: "no, i can see your muffler right there..."

me: "yeah, that's what i said. the car has exhaust"

her: "your car needs to have exhaust pipes all the way out the back of the car"

me: "the state law says i HAVE to have exhaust pipes that exit at my rear bumper?"

her: "you need to get exhaust on your car"

me: "does the law say that?"

she walked back to her car after that. here's where i'll admit i could've been more humble and respectful, but i was 19 and an asshole, and i still think i was right. she probably could have written me a ticket, but it probably wouldnt have been worth the trouble.

all of this is besides the time when i got a ticket for an officer HEARING me accelerate; i didnt spin my tires, i wasn't speeding, she didn't see me leave technically, just heard my car accelerating and pulled me over and ticketed me. i've also been profiled by a Marion officer who saw pics of my car doing burnouts on here and told me he could enhance the pics to prove it was me driving and arrest me for wreckless driving(he actually admitted to seeing my specific car on the internet and even used the actual name CR:Underground.com). and my personal favorite, the young cop in training who told me if i drove my Duster at all without any exhaust on it again, "it will no longer be your Duster; it will be MY Duster." hard not to laugh at that last one...

tylers88
04-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Exactly. It's one of those laws that's there to give excuses for someone to be pulled over for something else. Just like tint. Just like seatbelts. Just like a license plate light out.

in theory the tint laws are great but in practice, most smart cops walk up on the right side to stay out of traffic and if I have say a Civic that didn't have a passenger side mirror and I have double 5% on the rears(legal) I could shoot the cop before he knew what was going on, thats why I flip my dome light on when I get pulled over, then they can see me clearly and I would like to think it helps a little with the stress of a traffic stop.

lbc00
04-13-2014, 03:35 AM
I have lived in 7 other states. Never have I seen so many people alter so many pieces of junk. I could understand building your own race car for the track and such. Altering an exhaust system of an everyday vehicle that doesn't stand a chance at the track makes no sense. That's just dumb. Not only do the cars sound loud but they are not that fast either. Either pump money into and build yourself a bad ass race car and head to the track or just admit most of you have pieces of junk with no money and deal with it! Altering your exhaust system on your everyday vehicles is just stupid. Enjoy your tickets! That's money you could have spent on a real race car for a change.

Deimos
04-13-2014, 05:22 AM
LMFAO digging up and old thread to talk shit.... Priceless

JustinS
04-13-2014, 09:55 AM
I have lived in 7 other states. Never have I seen so many people alter so many pieces of junk. I could understand building your own race car for the track and such. Altering an exhaust system of an everyday vehicle that doesn't stand a chance at the track makes no sense. That's just dumb. Not only do the cars sound loud but they are not that fast either. Either pump money into and build yourself a bad ass race car and head to the track or just admit most of you have pieces of junk with no money and deal with it! Altering your exhaust system on your everyday vehicles is just stupid. Enjoy your tickets! That's money you could have spent on a real race car for a change.
I like the cut of your jib, tell me more.

lbc00
04-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Just stating my opinion. My first night before starting a new job I had a loud muffler wake me up at 11:30 pm they were asking if I partied and then they drug tested me which I passed with no issues. Couldn't get back to sleep that night. Then it happened countless other times and wondering why I was always so tired before getting rid of me. I doubt you people would like it if I woke you up at all hours of the night. Just think altering a vehicle and driving it on the city streets daily to be really disrespectfully loud and waking others up is crap. People have to work the next the day. I show you all the respect by not doing that. Why can't I be shown the same respect?

86svo9L
04-13-2014, 11:18 AM
So do you have a car to share with us?

lbc00
04-13-2014, 11:21 AM
So do you have a car to share with us?
I'm obeying the laws, 86svo9L why can't you?

hamrmech
04-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Post from two years ago. Hilarious. I say put better pipes under your car whether you race it or not. Use mufflers though. Only Harley Davidson riding cocksuckers don't use mufflers. South Park is right, they are all fags.

86svo9L
04-13-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm obeying the laws, 86svo9L why can't you?

So I take it you don't have a car to share.

Sounds like you are looking for a convenient scapegoat to your shitty life.

Deimos
04-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Just stating my opinion. My first night before starting a new job I had a loud muffler wake me up at 11:30 pm they were asking if I partied and then they drug tested me which I passed with no issues. Couldn't get back to sleep that night. Then it happened countless other times and wondering why I was always so tired before getting rid of me. I doubt you people would like it if I woke you up at all hours of the night. Just think altering a vehicle and driving it on the city streets daily to be really disrespectfully loud and waking others up is crap. People have to work the next the day. I show you all the respect by not doing that. Why can't I be shown the same respect?

I live in the ghetto. It happens every night and soon I am gonna start chasing bikers that think it is necessary to go 100 down my street with my kids out playing...

derek072887
04-13-2014, 12:48 PM

Nice first post, why don't you introduce yourself

SledgeWS6
04-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Just stating my opinion. My first night before starting a new job I had a loud muffler wake me up at 11:30 pm they were asking if I partied and then they drug tested me which I passed with no issues. Couldn't get back to sleep that night. Then it happened countless other times and wondering why I was always so tired before getting rid of me.

Most likely they didn't fire you for looking tired. They probably fired you because you suck at your job. You don't get fired for looking tired. Typical though in this day and age; provide a third party source for your ails and all is forgiven. Whatever you gotta do to make yourself feel better.

If you state an opinion on an open forum, be ready to defend it.

hamrmech
04-13-2014, 01:11 PM
I would fire him for his fucked up sentence structure. I can't understand who the fuck is drug testing him. Is it his boss? The cops? Apparently he goes to work all fucked up, and his story is the loud mufflers on cars are keeping him awake. Maybe the loud mufflers are fucking up his ability to communicate like a normal human being. Well, I'm sorry my mustang woke you up when it drove by last night at just below the speed limit in high gear. Its not nearly as loud as the fighter jets and jumbo jets the entire south side has rumbling their homes at all hours, and its not the constant retarded barking of all your meth addict neighbors' pit bulls piercing your brain. Deeply sorry, I'll get some mufflers that won't wreck your beauty sleep, your fucking majesty.

derek072887
04-13-2014, 01:17 PM
You either live in a card board box or whoever lives next to you has a car with open headers or they were trying to piss you off by purposely revving.

Why are you on a car forum?

JustinS
04-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Sounds like you are looking for a convenient scapegoat to your shitty life.

+1

Sleepy
04-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Why are you on a car forum?

This was my thought when I read it. My car came from the factory with out a muffler. No muffler no care.

Drifte
04-14-2014, 02:09 PM
I saw a group of harley riders this weekend, a few of whom were wearing ear plugs. I felt bad for their girls on the back too, every gear was WOT BANG SHIFT WOT as the girls each suffered from whiplash at each shift. What do those bikes rev to anyway? They are constantly hitting the rev limiters over here on wiley..its a 35mph zone!

that kinda turned into a harley bash..not what I was goin for..meh

derek072887
04-14-2014, 02:25 PM
I buddy of mine used to have a Sportster 1200 back when I had my first CBR, we decided to trade one day when we were out riding and I couldn't keep the damn thing off the rev limiter either.... Seems like the rev about as high as a cummins

hamrmech
04-14-2014, 02:34 PM
I love it when the harley riders are all crying about another rider going down. Its all tears and "he was a great guy" bullshit. Every year a couple harley riders bite it on the saylorville dam. Its weeding out the stupid for us, its engineers should get a medal or a high school named after them. My service writer at work is an obese east sider with a harley in her garage. A non helmet wearing dipshit. Every time I see a story on KCCI about another rider getting squashed, I do a little dance inside and start humming "another one bites the dust"..She gets all offended.

FiFdYnUtZ
04-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Woooowwww

JustinS
04-14-2014, 07:36 PM
I love it when the harley riders are all crying about another rider going down. Its all tears and "he was a great guy" bullshit. Every year a couple harley riders bite it on the saylorville dam. Its weeding out the stupid for us, its engineers should get a medal or a high school named after them. My service writer at work is an obese east sider with a harley in her garage. A non helmet wearing dipshit. Every time I see a story on KCCI about another rider getting squashed, I do a little dance inside and start humming "another one bites the dust"..She gets all offended.
Dammit, I've missed reading your rants!

AutoMods
04-14-2014, 10:34 PM
lol..... its been a while, i kinda miss the drama

jssteinke
04-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Same Guy? http://www.layitlow.com/forums/26677-lbc00.html
Lowriders tho

Domestic Disturbance
04-18-2014, 12:56 AM
idk with lowriders it probably refers to Long Beach California Snoop Dogg style