PDA

View Full Version : Well its offical....

Jappbox
02-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Some of you have known that I have been in the works to take over my dads company. And the other day I got my certificate from the Iowa Workforce. All thats left is changing over the Commercal insurance's and ill be set. This is pretty big news for me but scary as now any income relies on me. If some of you dont know we mostly do just Insulation now a days but also do some remodeling or any Residental construction since we used to built homes back when the economy was good and mexicans and Amish didnt built everything for cheap. If anyone is intrested in anything you can check out our facebook page and I want to in the future have a real working website with short demo videos and more information then Facebook lets me put.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bergmeier-Construction-Weatherization/161203797244014

Clinical
02-17-2012, 10:31 AM
So is your old job up for grabs? I'll come live in a box and do it hahahaha!

Jappbox
02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
haha as of right now im not hiring any employee's my dad is still going to work part time. If I get swamped with work like last summer I might get someone started. It takes a long time to train someone the right way. Unfortunately Insulation is not as easy as everyone thinks there is a science behind it and I only expect to be the best out there doing it not like some of these "retrofoam" guys that just started with a foam product to rip people off, I dont use spray foam, it was a joke in the 80's and its a joke today.

AutoMods
02-17-2012, 01:25 PM
congrats, time to buy a new car now that you are the owner

Ricky
02-17-2012, 01:29 PM
^ why? He has a pretty nice car right now.

c_mart_28
02-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Congrats!

Maybe not time for a new car but I'm sure the 370z could use a couple snails :)

Best of luck man.

slo4cyl
02-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Congrats! Better crack the whip on Jim don't let him slack off lol

sparkles
02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
I dont use spray foam, it was a joke in the 80's and its a joke today.

Explain

AutoMods
02-17-2012, 05:39 PM
^ why? He has a pretty nice car right now.

I didn't say to sell his current car. add another to the stable ;) . like jay leno. wwjd (what would jay do)

black88gt
02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Grats!

Jappbox
02-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Explain

It deteriorate's with time at least it does back when it was big in the 80's (i redo homes with foam from 80's-90's) Its unhealthy, is not as flame resistant. And way more expensive for the material. The stuff I use is basicly Recycled newspaper and magazines with cemicales and is more fire resistant than fiberglass, foam and anything else out there. Proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62zGG9jcOOo

AutoMods
02-17-2012, 11:19 PM
i know nothing of this topic but i found this video on the side bar :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn4lWy8CVlY&feature=related

black88gt
02-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Naturally non-combustible vs. something treated to be heat resistant, cellulose is just much cheaper

TbTalon94
02-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Naturally non-combustible vs. something treated to be heat resistant, cellulose is just much cheaper

Ding ding

Jappbox
02-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Im going to do this test, that is not UL Certified Cellulose, ours are UL Certifed and can withstand Much higher test temps. This is obviously a Fiberglass company trying to make you think their product is better. you want a real test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhKaXSusPpU

Why do you think When I do Goverment work though the Department of Energy they MAKE us use Cellulose insulation. if fiberglass or Spray foam was the all around best dont you think the Department of Energy would have me using it? or even push for it? no and they have the highest standards.

Jappbox
02-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Tell you guys what, Ill put a 100 watt light bulb in and do this exact test. I bet it does nothing to my Cellulose. ill post pics after I do it.

AutoMods
02-18-2012, 03:37 PM
I believe you, I just was curious about that 2nd video I ran into after clicking your video

Jappbox
02-18-2012, 03:46 PM
That looks like some old, 80's or 70's crap I run into, It dont even look like Cellulose Looks more like rockwool Im still going to do this test and video it just like these guys im going to promote our Brand we buy from wisconsin. Heck maybe he will give me a real good deal on my next semi load.

black88gt
02-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Im going to do this test, that is not UL Certified Cellulose, ours are UL Certifed and can withstand Much higher test temps. This is obviously a Fiberglass company trying to make you think their product is better. you want a real test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhKaXSusPpU

Why do you think When I do Goverment work though the Department of Energy they MAKE us use Cellulose insulation. if fiberglass or Spray foam was the all around best dont you think the Department of Energy would have me using it? or even push for it? no and they have the highest standards.

So the UL certified cellulose is better than a high quality fiberglass? What of the settling over time(cellulose vs. fiberglass)? Isn't fiberglass a better insulator(less media for same R value)?

Jappbox
02-18-2012, 05:26 PM
So the UL certified cellulose is better than a high quality fiberglass? What of the settling over time(cellulose vs. fiberglass)? Isn't fiberglass a better insulator(less media for same R value)?

Yes, it is much better and you need less Cellulose Insulation compared to fiberglass. heres attic info cellulose does not loose R value just cause it settled in the attic a little. This is why we Dense pack Sidewalls so there is no settling like back in the old wall plug days. And Fiberglass does not stop air. Cellulose does just like Foam does when dense Packed on sidewalls.

Fiberglass - R-38 Installed Inch- 15.3" Settled- 15.1" (more Expensive, More Material)
Cellulose insulation- R-38 Installed Inch- 11.6" Settled- 10.4" (way less material for same R Value.)

Fiberglass needs used on Boats, not as a insulator.

Here's another Proof video on how Fiberglass sucks for air. Foam also acts the same as packed Cellulose in not leaking air but cost's 2-3x as much but little better R-Value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ybp93Jx6Tg

black88gt
02-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Yes, it is much better and you need less Cellulose Insulation compared to fiberglass. heres attic info cellulose does not loose R value just cause it settled in the attic a little. This is why we Dense pack Sidewalls so there is no settling like back in the old wall plug days. And Fiberglass does not stop air. Cellulose does just like Foam does when dense Packed on sidewalls.

Fiberglass - R-38 Installed Inch- 15.3" Settled- 15.1" (more Expensive, More Material)
Cellulose insulation- R-38 Installed Inch- 11.6" Settled- 10.4" (way less material for same R Value.)

Fiberglass needs used on Boats, not as a insulator.

Here's another Proof video on how Fiberglass sucks for air. Foam also acts the same as packed Cellulose in not leaking air but cost's 2-3x as much but little better R-Value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ybp93Jx6Tg

Makes sense thanks for clearing that up

sparkles
02-18-2012, 08:06 PM
1. A properly sealed up home shouldn't rely on the insulation to prevent air movement. It's the job of the installer to plug holes with expanding foam, caulk, and vapor barrier before installing insulating to prevent air movement. Yes, in the case of updating an old house that's all closed up, the cellulose probably does a better job, but I can't help but think that the main reason is ease of installation. Not like you can put fiberglass in an existing wall without opening it up considerably.

2. I still don't see how something that's not flammable (glass made from melted sand) is more prone to fire than something made out of paper. I suppose the argument is the chemicals they spray it with, right? Anybody else see any downside to having a house filled with a material that's covered in formeldahyde?

tylers88
02-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Congrats on taking over.

congrats, time to buy a new car now that you are the owner

no no, new truck time, tax write off. Regular cab, long box is a perfect work truck
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Chevrolet-Silverado_Regular_Cab_2007_800x600_wallpaper_04.jp g

Jappbox
02-19-2012, 07:33 AM
1. A properly sealed up home shouldn't rely on the insulation to prevent air movement. It's the job of the installer to plug holes with expanding foam, caulk, and vapor barrier before installing insulating to prevent air movement. Yes, in the case of updating an old house that's all closed up, the cellulose probably does a better job, but I can't help but think that the main reason is ease of installation. Not like you can put fiberglass in an existing wall without opening it up considerably.

2. I still don't see how something that's not flammable (glass made from melted sand) is more prone to fire than something made out of paper. I suppose the argument is the chemicals they spray it with, right? Anybody else see any downside to having a house filled with a material that's covered in formeldahyde?

You can install fiberglass just like you can cellulose, even in old homes. It still wont stop air movment. Yes on new construction you can caulk everything and stop Air but still use fiberglass but Fiberglass also losses its R-Value the greater the inside and outside temp gets. Example if your house is 70 degrees an its 0 outside. The R13 fiberglass is now a R-9. Cellulose doesnt. Im telling you the Department of energy did all kinds of tests nationwide, I have seen some at nation conventions for the Weatherization program and the concusion is Fiberglass is a horrible insulater. the reason its around still is there is not a cost affective way to make insulation batts like most fiberglass is and intill their is such material people will still buy it. I still use it on Crawspaces and basements because of concret and its Sweat and dampness. And Yes Formeldahyde is nasty stuff so is inhaling small bits of Glass the Humen health department labled fiberglass as a dangurous product I would be surprized if in the next 10-15 years you see more causes of lung cancer and maybe shutdown of Formeldahyde or fiberglass all togeather. Just ike asbestos that does not show signs of problems in your lungs for 30 years. Fiberglass has only been around about 50 years and limited untill about 30 years ago when it got popular.

Jappbox
02-19-2012, 08:09 AM
No new truck for me, or any new cars, I have the work van and its all I need. LOL thats a sweet truck though!

sparkles
02-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm not doubting anything you're saying. It just doesn't ad up from a physics standpoint for me.

How do you put fiberglass in an existing wall?

Jappbox
02-19-2012, 02:02 PM
loose fill, We use it only on underbellys of moble homes or in Attics where weight is a concern. its ground up like what they show on that light bulb test. Thats Pink Panther insulation in that video. I know what you mean by a physics stand point and I agree with you. but if your talking physics then why even think about a Foam Product for insulation thats a patrolium product. talk about Fire hasard. But they are now mixing in cemicals to make foam more fire resistent. But Physics says thats like puting expanding Gasoline in my walls and attics.. The topic could go on and on and on. But the truth is all 3 have thier purpose. We just use Cellulose 90% of the time. Its a green product, is cost effective and for the most part extremly safe for heath and fire.

JustinS
02-20-2012, 10:04 AM
This thread is turning out to be very informative. Congrats Jesse on being the owner now!

Drifte
02-20-2012, 11:49 AM
This thread is turning out to be very informative. Congrats Jesse on being the owner now!

Thats what I just said to ryan lol. Good stuff!

I went around my garage, sealed everything I could find to seal. Used your typical insulation strips of fiberglass. Then put some plastic up, then got a sweet deal on some Tyvec, so put it up too. My garage is about air tight! But not heated, so doesnt matter lol.

JustinS
02-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Jealous Colton, jealous. I'm house hunting right now and I won't accept anything less than a 2 car garage so it's putting a damper on things.

Jappbox
02-20-2012, 01:38 PM
I use a simple 24,000 BTU Karasene heater to heat my 24x24 garage. But I have it very well insulated of course.

Well guys I did the Light Test, with a 100watt I uped the anti from their video of a 75watt. Im editing the video now. should have it done some time today

Drifte
02-20-2012, 01:44 PM
^Of course your garage is well insulated:biglaugh:

Im using a kerosene heater at times, at no point was a jacket required to work on cars this winter. But I couldnt hold 70degrees like I'd like with this little heater.

Clinical
02-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm going to be the same, picky as hell when I house hunt.

I preferably want one with an attached single with a driveway that goes into the back with a 2car, that way when theres a lady she doesn't bitch about not having the garage and I can have a premier man-cave.

Drifte
02-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm going to be the same, picky as hell when I house hunt.

I preferably want one with an attached single with a driveway that goes into the back with a 2car, that way when theres a lady she doesn't bitch about not having the garage and I can have a premier man-cave.

Im really picky, if this house I have lined up goes through I'll be pretty damn happy.

Ricky
02-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Im really picky, if this house I have lined up goes through I'll be pretty damn happy.

Me too. I like bringing my stuff over to work on. you have an attached garage with heat... and your tools are better organized.

Jappbox
02-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Since were on the subject of homes now. I have been kicking around the Idea of buying a lot where im at on the SW side and building a house and selling it. anyone intrested in a brand new home for under 175,000? 1400 sqft, hardwood thoughout, Tile baths, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, vaulted ceiling? Ill even include all appliences. It would be built with advance framing (energy Star) 2 stall garage, or I could do a 3 stall garage for a little more in the price. Just a Idea I have been having.

LT1Dan
02-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Since were on the subject of homes now. I have been kicking around the Idea of buying a lot where im at on the SW side and building a house and selling it. anyone intrested in a brand new home for under 175,000? 1400 sqft, hardwood thoughout, Tile baths, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, vaulted ceiling? Ill even include all appliences. It would be built with advance framing (energy Star) 2 stall garage, or I could do a 3 stall garage for a little more in the price. Just a Idea I have been having.

Where on the sw side are you? If this were a year or so in the future i'd be interested.

86svo9L
02-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Where were you a month and half ago. I am closing on a house this friday :). 3 bedroom with a 2 stall finished garage, not brand new though.

Jappbox
02-20-2012, 03:40 PM
SW Side, Bryant BLVD Garden View Estates. Thier is only like 3 lots left here so I was going to jump on one. if you come down Stoney point its right before you cross highway 30. I see highway 30 out my back yard Small housing Division.

Jappbox
02-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Here you guys go, let me know what you think about my editing.

http://youtu.be/NXZflJW2SZw

slo4cyl
02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
and your tools are better organized.

If they are thrown in a box they are better organized than yours :booty:

Jappbox
02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
So back to this new home Idea is anyone kinda intrested in that idea? im very close to taking in a house plan and geting a price on everything.