PDA

View Full Version : Hello from South East Iowa

Ketchacar
02-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Hello, retired almost 4 years ago from Automotive International after 13 years. based out of the HQ in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Before that I was National Sales and Technical Manager for Finish Kare Products out of California.
I decided that Florida was not the place for me to retired, so bought a little place here in Keokuk, since I grew up in the area.
Nice to be back among those I have known and worked with as a young man, from Ramo Stott to Larry May, and many other how have passed on, like Dick Hutcherson.
Spent the last 25 or so years of my professional career working with Ford, Chrysler, GM and 6 of the larger imported automotive manufacturers.
My expertise is paint, trim, corrosion and interior trim concerns.
Traveled the world in my work, and while it was fun, became time to just back off and take it easy.
Have my little shop (known to my friends as "Grumpy's Garage and Pub"), where all my old fart friends and I work on lots of things.
Have restored two old motorcycles and presenting working on my Ranchero.
Thanks, it's good to be home.
Grumpy

JustinS
02-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Welcome, any pictures of the motorcycles?

Clinical
02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Nice to see another Southeasterner. I'm not to far from you, up in burlington.

Ketchacar
02-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Welcome, any pictures of the motorcycles?
They are on my facebook page under albums.
One is a 1963 Sears/Allstate (actually a Puch), 150cc 2 stroke, the other shown is a rare 1971 Buffalo all terain. There is a shot of my Honda Shadow Sabre VT100.
I am selling it next month as I just don't ride it enough to justify it.
I have good friend, part of Grumpy's Garage who is a genius when it comes to motors, machine work, etc and since parts for those old bikes are hard to come by, he is really good at making new ones.
We have a couple of other older, small bikes waiting to be restored, summer projects.
Grumpy

Ketchacar
02-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Was up there two weeks ago to look at a MarkVIII Lincoln to buy, but it was in need of some very expensive work mechanically to make it worthwhile.
Holding on to the cash for the Sullivan's Collector Car auction April 2 and 3 at their facility east of Hamilton, Ill.
Going to be the biggest auction they have held for collector cars and parts.
They have a couple of Barrett-Jackson quailty cars in the sale, and a lot of 80 point cars.
Their site is being updated every day or so with new listings, and photos.
It's always a blast, as no buyer's fee, no reserve.
Grumpy

c_mart_28
02-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Welcome to the site.

Don't see many Ranchero's around nowadays!

85XR7Project
02-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Welcome! What year Ranchero?

Ketchacar
02-11-2012, 05:23 PM
1975, 352 2V, auto, air, had 76,000 when I bought it.
I use it as my "shop truck" and now has all of almost 77,000 on it.(doesn't get driven far, only one trip over a hundred miles since I got it)
Need to get on it, interior is very good, but need to cut the hem flanges off the doors, rear fender eyebrows and a spot on the tail gate, weld in new metal, shoot and then apply cavatity wax into the cavitaties so it doesn't rust again.
Other than that, and rebuilding the carb (original plastic floats) it's a great driver.
Grumpy

Ketchacar
02-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Excuse me, me bad, not a 352, hit the wrong little button on the key board, it's a 351 Windsor, not a boat anchor.
Grumpy

85XR7Project
02-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Nice, always liked that era Ranchero. I thought those came with a 351M not a Windsor.

Ketchacar
02-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Not a Cleveland, a Windsor.
Had a chance to buy another one, with a rebuilt Cleveland, but rough body.
By the time I decided, it was gone.

85XR7Project
02-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Well those 351M's were anchors for sure. Windsors and Clevelands were so much better. That's the style that has the Torino front clip, right? I always wanted a Ranchero just for the fact you could haul stuff and it ISN'T an El Camino.

Ketchacar
02-12-2012, 08:48 AM
It's just a Torino wagon with part of the top cut off, and some bed material.
It is a full frame, I have carried 1,200 lb of pavers and no real concerns.
If you want a manual, you have to find one for a wagon and none of the aftermarket companies produce one.