PDA

View Full Version : IAF Moderation

AutoMods
01-26-2012, 03:27 PM
There has been some complaints about negativity, fighting, attacking etc recently.

In the past, we have voted to have virtually no interference or moderation.

I am curious as to your opinions again. We have a large moderator staff. If needed, the moderator staff can be more active.

I have decided to tone it down myself as I have been in some arguments lately and perhaps people take my comments as an Admin more personal.

sparkles
01-26-2012, 09:05 PM
I haven't really seen anything to someone's panties all bunched up. It's the internet and people ought to expect to get some crap if they deserve it. It's not like this is a car specific forum. It's a local forum of people that know each other.

I think we have enough mods. Don't need any more. Just need to have those people be more strict IF that's what people want.

I personally think that as far as the crap that S&S is talking about has some validity to it, but at the same time, I'm no so thin skinned I'm going to lose sleep about it if it was me. As far as the Bohren's, I think everyone on the forum with the exception of the obvious friends of them feels the same way and finally someone (YOU) gave them back their own shit. What I find funny is the fact that when the tables turned, they cried and ran off.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-26-2012, 09:32 PM
people will be bitching either way. As much as i HATE to say it, i have to agree with certain people that this forum is going to shit and has been for a while. I think there are a handful of people to blame, most of whhom are "gone" now.

There is a happy medium with moderation, just takes time to find it. We went from being "overly moderated" to virtually "unmoderated". On top of that a mod or two had hand in most of the issues which maks the site look bad. in my opinion, moderation seems to be selective based on who posts it. I also think if you close a thread, you should just delete it, i dont see any point in leaving that BS around for new people to see.

Drifte
01-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Just looking at the poll I can see what people want. Sometimes it's a matter of how it's perceived by others in regards to posts being funny, rude or just to far. I think personal attacks on anyone or anyone's family is too far. Slam a dudes car, fine. Say his brothers a jerk, and well if it was me I'd be pissed.

AutoMods
01-26-2012, 11:02 PM
On top of that a mod or two had hand in most of the issues which maks the site look bad. in my opinion, moderation seems to be selective based on who posts it

Kieth, your quite worked up, mostly over stuff that didn't even happen recently.

fifdy was made a moderator to help with street heat section, saves me time and he is out messing around on the street more and knows the people. other than accidently locking a couple threads temporarily, he hasn't even used any 'moderator' privileges as far as banning, editing, deleting, moving posts.

we don't get together and say hey lets edit so and so's posts. or team up and bash someone. there is very little discussion in the moderator section. last time I talked to tyler in person was at the shootout last year.

does it look bad when he as a moderator gets after someone??? perhaps it does. i figured most people here know him and he would post the same stuff moderator or not.

AutoMods
01-26-2012, 11:08 PM
keith. in summary, I deleted some of your posts because I just thought it was inappropriate . Not because fifdy told me to or because he is a moderator. if anything, fifdy and i have been going at each other lately

like i said i've, also deleted some stuff in your favor, said about you in the past. goes both ways, i try not to be bias

sLoWnStEaDy
01-27-2012, 05:33 AM
i wasn't complaining about my stuff getting deleted, i was just being a dick because i was bored for the most part. The main point i was trying to make is that when a moderator acts the way he does, it makes the forum look bad. He took it upon himself to try and drive away anyone he didnt think was "worthy" of being on here. He constantly said negative things about the forum and just overall acted like he owned the place.

I am a mod on a few other forums and i know it's a pain in the ass sometimes. As far as it not happening recently, i would say a couple/few days is fairly recent. May be it is just me but when someone constantly makes personal attacks on me, i dont tend to forget about it overnight. It doesn't ruin my day by any means but i dont forget it...

sLoWnStEaDy
01-27-2012, 05:37 AM
"I before E" crap doesn't go for my name, by the way. Keith

just sayin

Clinical
01-27-2012, 06:42 AM
"I before E" crap doesn't go for my name, by the way. Keith

just sayin
quiet kieth

Ricky
01-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Say his brothers a jerk, and well if it was me I'd be pissed.

Your brother is a jerk...

Ricky
01-27-2012, 06:46 AM
I voted for a little more mod. I'm with Colton on this one. Let people say what they want and let people speak their minds. If it turns into a personal attack then it should be delt with.

SaNdMaNsSi
01-27-2012, 07:16 AM
In my opinion, it's the internet. If you don't expect name calling, lies, and e-thuggery, you haven't been online very long. I take nothing that is said on the internet personally, as 95% of the people saying it have no clue what they are talking about, and would never say it to a person's face. This is just my opinion, but I hate reading through a thread that is a couple of days old and all I see is "edit, delete, edit, edit." You have no idea what was done or said, and I hate that. I have thick skin, especially when it comes to conversations on the internet. I don't think people's opinions should be moderated at all, unless it's a straight on "I'm going to come find you and kill you" threat type situation.

black88gt
01-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Takes two people to have an argument. Some people like to throw some stones and cry victim when they come flying back.

I don't think any more moderation is needed and I've said it before. If someone is trying to argue with you and you don't like it just stop posting? They aren't going to continue to argue with the wall. People get drawn into these arguments, go back and forth for several pages, then "this forum has gone to shit because of THAT guy, I had no part in this." The amount or severity of arguing is no more than it was several years ago during winter and could maybe be considered more tame.

Ed/George/Tyler will throw a little poke in, a lot of members get ruffled and jab back, then cry for moderation when they got sucker punched. Just my opinion looking from the outside. I've been on this forum a long time and any shit fest I've been involved in I chose to get involved in or chose to stay involved in. There are some arguments you can't win so just shrug it off and stop crying.

c_mart_28
01-27-2012, 09:50 AM
I voted for maybe a little more moderation.

Like was mentioned before, if you find yourself in an arguement that gets personal, how much of that is brought on by yourself? Certain discussions call for someone to take the higher road and occasionally for someone to consider the people that their arguements are with. If someone has proven time and time again that they lack the ability to intellegently defend their stance or their point and then resort to personal attacks, why continue to argue with that person?

That said, when someone goes out of their way to single out one particular individual or another repeatedly, that's really no different than school yard bullying and needs to be moderated.

sparkles
01-27-2012, 10:18 AM
i wasn't complaining about my stuff getting deleted, i was just being a dick because i was bored for the most part. The main point i was trying to make is that when a moderator acts the way he does, it makes the forum look bad. He took it upon himself to try and drive away anyone he didnt think was "worthy" of being on here. He constantly said negative things about the forum and just overall acted like he owned the place.

I am a mod on a few other forums and i know it's a pain in the ass sometimes. As far as it not happening recently, i would say a couple/few days is fairly recent. May be it is just me but when someone constantly makes personal attacks on me, i dont tend to forget about it overnight. It doesn't ruin my day by any means but i dont forget it...
Maybe you should get a lane or STFU.

I voted for a little more mod. I'm with Colton on this one. Let people say what they want and let people speak their minds. If it turns into a personal attack then it should be delt with.
Sounds like you're a crybaby.

In my opinion, it's the internet. If you don't expect name calling, lies, and e-thuggery, you haven't been online very long. I take nothing that is said on the internet personally, as 95% of the people saying it have no clue what they are talking about, and would never say it to a person's face. This is just my opinion, but I hate reading through a thread that is a couple of days old and all I see is "edit, delete, edit, edit." You have no idea what was done or said, and I hate that. I have thick skin, especially when it comes to conversations on the internet. I don't think people's opinions should be moderated at all, unless it's a straight on "I'm going to come find you and kill you" threat type situation.
^This. Maybe people should be more prepared if they want to be on an internet forum. Like being prepared to be in an epic gun fight on the streets and carrying a firearm on every extremity, including my junk. Never know when my 5 other guns are gonna jam.

These posts brought to you by Sparkles. If in the event you take these serious, please feel free to call and get an appt. with your OBGYN to get that sand cleaned out, mmmmk?

Drifte
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe you should get a lane or STFU.

Sounds like you're a crybaby.

^This. Maybe people should be more prepared if they want to be on an internet forum. Like being prepared to be in an epic gun fight on the streets and carrying a firearm on every extremity, including my junk. Never know when my 5 other guns are gonna jam.

These posts brought to you by Sparkles. If in the event you take these serious, please feel free to call and get an appt. with your OBGYN to get that sand cleaned out, mmmmk?

Immediately thought of this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AI-GWGu8YmE/SG0PyLHcggI/AAAAAAAABAA/Rx9sPJiQpNA/s400/Don%27t+Worry+Man+I%27m+from+the+Internet.jpg

SaNdMaNsSi
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Immediately thought of this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AI-GWGu8YmE/SG0PyLHcggI/AAAAAAAABAA/Rx9sPJiQpNA/s400/Don%27t+Worry+Man+I%27m+from+the+Internet.jpg

I guarantee his mg42 is a prop, and not the real thing like in Call of Duty: World at War.

Batwood
01-27-2012, 09:12 PM
The thing that made me love places like Clubgp, was the complete lack of moderation and the absolute "say anything you feel like" attitude. That is fine in some respects, but as far as this place goes, I have yet to encounter a problem with moderation... or even with anybody really. Say something dumb and get made fun of... talk shit and expect to get it back 2x as bad. Such is life.

85XR7Project
01-28-2012, 07:32 AM
The thing that made me love places like Clubgp, was the complete lack of moderation and the absolute "say anything you feel like" attitude. That is fine in some respects, but as far as this place goes, I have yet to encounter a problem with moderation... or even with anybody really. Say something dumb and get made fun of... talk shit and expect to get it back 2x as bad. Such is life.

I loved that about clubgp too, although they had much more people.

DustinsDuster
02-04-2012, 10:47 AM
getting specific, i just have such a hard time seeing Ed and George as victims. its not a rip on them, i get along with them just fine on here and in real life, but it's like feeling bad for the velocoraptors that were killed by the T-rex at the end of Jurassic Park. back to generalizing, the more wellknown you are on a forum like this, the more critics you're going to have. sometimes people arent going to like you, and you just have to deal with it. most people usually know what theyre getting into when they respond to someone's rude remark, but no one wants to be the one to walk away before the shit actually starts. i like things the way they are, but i wouldnt leave if the site was moderated a little more.

ZacFields
02-04-2012, 10:13 PM
The tough thing about the "say whatever you want" moderation style on a forum like this is that we're all from the same area, so actual physical encounters are entirely possible. That's not to say that the staff here has an obligation to prevent real-life physical altercations - because they don't - but it's one thing that's always a consideration.

Back in the day, I can say I had people actually come to my work to ask me to delete posts and one person actually threatened me if I wouldn't delete some stuff that was said about him (at the time, he wasn't a member but heard about a topic that was making fun of him). Now anybody who knows me... I'm a nice guy so the threat wasn't a big deal as I was happy to remove the topic for him, but it could have been nasty if I wasn't.

Not saying there ought to be stricter moderation or anything like that - just saying the stakes are a little higher here than in your typical forums.

slow ride
02-05-2012, 04:01 PM
who was it :)

SaNdMaNsSi
02-06-2012, 07:29 AM
The tough thing about the "say whatever you want" moderation style on a forum like this is that we're all from the same area, so actual physical encounters are entirely possible. That's not to say that the staff here has an obligation to prevent real-life physical altercations - because they don't - but it's one thing that's always a consideration.

Back in the day, I can say I had people actually come to my work to ask me to delete posts and one person actually threatened me if I wouldn't delete some stuff that was said about him (at the time, he wasn't a member but heard about a topic that was making fun of him). Now anybody who knows me... I'm a nice guy so the threat wasn't a big deal as I was happy to remove the topic for him, but it could have been nasty if I wasn't.

Not saying there ought to be stricter moderation or anything like that - just saying the stakes are a little higher here than in your typical forums.

I see what you're saying, and I somewhat agree....but on the other hand, someone threatening or bullying a mod should not get a post deleted. If you give in once, people will walk all over you. Stand your ground; if they want something deleted, they should go after the original author, or if they threaten to sue (which they will have zero grounds to do so they are just threatening something they know nothing about) just tell them to get bent. Short of someone verbally abusing someone else or threatening to "come find them" I'm not a big fan of censorship. If someone wants to go off on me and say things that are untrue, be my guest. It's the internet. It's there for people to run their mouths without any real balls behind what they say most of the time. I find it more humorous than anything.