PDA

View Full Version : Speed cameras may get banned!

Drifte
01-25-2012, 02:21 PM
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Iowa-House-Panel-OKs-Red-Light-Speed-Camera-Ban--138054403.html

Show some support and comment on the subject. Im really not a speeder, but I hate speed cameras.:Flush:

KobleTsi
01-25-2012, 04:14 PM
it'll never happen this shit seems to go on every year for a while around here they shut them off, but they are back up here

1slidewayzFC3S
01-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Lets just pray it happens

Batwood
01-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Somehow, I've never gotten a ticket from one of these.
I drove through 1 on first ave in the Vette and had the light flash, but never got anything.
(Do they issue tickets to cars with dealer plates?)

Hopefully they get rid of them. It is kind of comical to watch traffic slow down as it approaches the cameras, then speed back up.

Deimos
01-25-2012, 08:00 PM
lol yeah look up the business name on iowa courts I know we have gotten a few.

Batwood
01-25-2012, 08:51 PM
lol yeah look up the business name on iowa courts I know we have gotten a few.

Its our dealership... lol. Haven't gotten anything yet. That was like October-Novemberish that I got it.

1FastSRT-4
01-25-2012, 09:24 PM
The ticket comes like 2 days or so, after it takes the pic. so Oct-Nov I wouldn't worry about it.

KobleTsi
01-25-2012, 09:47 PM
i got one on 380 took about 3 or 4 weeks to get

1FastSRT-4
01-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Really? that's weird, every time I've had to deal with them, they only took a couple days.

KobleTsi
01-25-2012, 10:28 PM
might be cause im in davenport

1FastSRT-4
01-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Yeah after i wrote that, I saw that you were from davenport. and I don't know how they do things up there.

harodavid
01-26-2012, 09:36 AM
mine always take a couple weeks to come in also... they come from texas or something stupid like that...

tylers88
01-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Can't you fight these and win fairly easy because the ticket comes addressed to the registered owner and they have 0 proof that you were driving. Another thought how the hell would that work on my truck, its in 3 peoples names, mine first, girlfriend 2nd and my mom co signed on our loan so she is 3rd. Would we all get a ticket?

Ricky
01-30-2012, 07:27 AM
I hate them

black88gt
01-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Can't you fight these and win fairly easy because the ticket comes addressed to the registered owner and they have 0 proof that you were driving. Another thought how the hell would that work on my truck, its in 3 peoples names, mine first, girlfriend 2nd and my mom co signed on our loan so she is 3rd. Would we all get a ticket?

No. Because its just a civil penalty like a parking ticket, goes to the registered owner. Don't think they would have allocated for the resources for something that could be thrown out so easily.

tylers88
01-30-2012, 09:09 AM
No. Because its just a civil penalty like a parking ticket, goes to the registered owner. Don't think they would have allocated for the resources for something that could be thrown out so easily.

I was just going by what I heard, I haven't ever had to deal with them. I know a guy that sent a picture of $60 to the City of Des Moines and they didn't respond.

sparkles
01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
I know a guy that has two thumbs and paid a $15 dollar citation in pennies.

1FastSRT-4
01-30-2012, 09:51 AM
^ haha that's awesome.

black88gt
01-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I know a guy that has two thumbs and paid a $15 dollar citation in pennies.

People doing this makes me feel bad for the clerk. They didn't write the citation, they didn't write the statute, they don't get the money; but they have to deal with your BS. You're mad and want to vent, I get that, but I think there are more constructive uses for that energy.

sparkles
01-30-2012, 09:54 AM
http://www.dragsource.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12203&hilit=Pennies

tylers88
01-30-2012, 10:14 AM
http://www.dragsource.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12203&hilit=Pennies

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/images/smilies/lol2.gif

LT1Dan
01-30-2012, 10:20 AM
People doing this makes me feel bad for the clerk. They didn't write the citation, they didn't write the statute, they don't get the money; but they have to deal with your BS. You're mad and want to vent, I get that, but I think there are more constructive uses for that energy.

Disagree. They are paid to deal with the public and accept payments for fines. Sparkles payment was legal, albeit inconvenient, and it's their job to process the payment. I'm sure they can transfer to a department with less public contact if it upsets them that much. That said, I don't condone people screaming and yelling at them about getting the fine. That's why you have your day in court if you so choose. The way Sparkles did it was perfect IMO.

sparkles
01-30-2012, 10:24 AM
I was actually pretty damn polite. The clerk on the other hand acted pissy from the moment I walked up. Just like LT1 Dan said, if you are tired of getting yelled at by the public, get another job.

black88gt
01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Disagree. They are paid to deal with the public and accept payments for fines. Sparkles payment was legal, albeit inconvenient, and it's their job to process the payment. I'm sure they can transfer to a department with less public contact if it upsets them that much. That said, I don't condone people screaming and yelling at them about getting the fine. That's why you have your day in court if you so choose. The way Sparkles did it was perfect IMO.

It is their job but what does it accomplish? If you think you have a legitimate case go to court and dispute it through the proper avenue. You think they wasted your time, so to spite them you waste more of your own time willingly? I don't see the connection. They were getting paid to do their job, and they did it. Anyone can be an asshole and make other people's job harder but does it accomplish anything?

sparkles
01-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Evidently, you've never had to deal with the court system or the city.

LT1Dan
01-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Did you read the link? He did fight it. They said tough shit and if he wanted to pursue it further than it would cost him about $100 in fees. He decided it wasn't worth the extra money that he already had invested so he would pay the fine and be done with it. The point was if they were going to (wrongly in his opinion) fine him $15, he was going to waste more of their time money. Again, if you read the link, it says it took 3 employees at least 15 minutes to accept and count the payment, keeping them from doing something productive and wasting payroll on something trivial. Probably just kept them off Facebook for a little bit though.

tylers88
01-30-2012, 11:19 AM
They were getting paid to do their job, and they did it. Anyone can be an asshole and make other people's job harder but does it accomplish anything?

Yes he did, he cost the city a lot more than $15 in wages and overtime, they said tough shit, he said eat shit and like it. That $15 dollar fine ended up costing them probably close to $60 after he paid.

sparkles
01-30-2012, 11:27 AM
It's entrapment as far as I'm concerned. The government, city, etc find ways to dick the citizens out of money with no way for us to be made whole if it's unjust. Even if I did take it to court, I'm out court cost money plus the 2-3 trips to the courthouse and my time. If I fight a speeding ticket and win, should I be allowed to sue the cop for missed work so I can be made whole again? The answer is simply "no". Even if you win, you still lose.

black88gt
01-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Did you read the link? He did fight it. They said tough shit and if he wanted to pursue it further than it would cost him about $100 in fees. He decided it wasn't worth the extra money that he already had invested so he would pay the fine and be done with it. The point was if they were going to (wrongly in his opinion) fine him $15, he was going to waste more of their time money. Again, if you read the link, it says it took 3 employees at least 15 minutes to accept and count the payment, keeping them from doing something productive and wasting payroll on something trivial. Probably just kept them off Facebook for a little bit though.

Fought it and lost; so unless you appeal it and have it overturned its a legit ticket. Paying in pennies is equivelant to throwing a tantrum about a deserved ticket. You probably easily spent over an hour doing this vs. mailing in the money so lets think of it this way: an hour of your time vs. 45 minutes of theirs. Now consider these were clerks, just about the lowest level of pay, vs your pay. You spent more than they lost aka wasted your own time/energy.

To make this more pointless, by your words they were likely doing nothing. The city gained 0 production from this, as they would have likely been doing nothing productive anyway. The tantrum had no effect on the city; only the clerks. "Cutting off your nose to spite the face" is exactly what this is. Write a letter to the judge, write a letter to the city council, fap, bake some cookies; all would have accomplished more with your time than ruining a couple clerks' days.

LT1Dan
01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
If I didn't know better I would say you sound like a city clerk that had her Facebooking interrupted by Sparkles.

black88gt
01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
If I didn't know better I would say you sound like a city clerk that had her Facebooking interrupted by Sparkles.

Lol ya I had a career change. How am I supposed to post on IAF if some asshole makes me count fuckn pennies?

sparkles
01-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Fought it and lost; so unless you appeal it and have it overturned its a legit ticket. Paying in pennies is equivelant to throwing a tantrum about a deserved ticket. You probably easily spent over an hour doing this vs. mailing in the money so lets think of it this way: an hour of your time vs. 45 minutes of theirs. Now consider these were clerks, just about the lowest level of pay, vs your pay. You spent more than they lost aka wasted your own time/energy.

To make this more pointless, by your words they were likely doing nothing. The city gained 0 production from this, as they would have likely been doing nothing productive anyway. The tantrum had no effect on the city; only the clerks. "Cutting off your nose to spite the face" is exactly what this is. Write a letter to the judge, write a letter to the city council, fap, bake some cookies; all would have accomplished more with your time than ruining a couple clerks' days.

Your logic and suggestions of other things to do are pretty contradictory, don't ya think? Waste time writing a letter to the judge vs. what I did. It's all a waist of time. Fortunate enough for me, City Hall wasn't very far away, and pennies can be purchased at one of my many trips to the bank.

You must be a perfect citizen that never leaves the house for the real world where BS like this happens. Either that, or you live in a cabin in the woods in the middle of nowhere away from the city. Crap like this happens daily, and the mentality of big brother, not only making us guilty before proven innocent, but impossible or too expensive to prove innocence, is a portion of what's wrong with society today. The problem is that most people like yourself act like sheep and just go along with the status quo instead of voicing our opposition, letting the powers that be know we're not happy, and standing up for ourselves.

If none of this makes any sense to you and you yourself haven't been in a similar situation or know someone that has, I invite you to pull your head out of the sand. Like I said, evidently you're not aware of how the civil penalties system is set up, ran, and executed in metropolitan areas if you're really going to sit there and say paying a $15 fine in pennies and voicing my opinion on why is somehow admitting that the citation was justified and deserved, when the reward for fighting the ticket and winning is paying $100 in court costs.

black88gt
01-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Your logic and suggestions of other things to do are pretty contradictory, don't ya think? Waste time writing a letter to the judge vs. what I did. It's all a waist of time. Fortunate enough for me, City Hall wasn't very far away, and pennies can be purchased at one of my many trips to the bank.

You must be a perfect citizen that never leaves the house for the real world where BS like this happens. Either that, or you live in a cabin in the woods in the middle of nowhere away from the city. Crap like this happens daily, and the mentality of big brother, not only making us guilty before proven innocent, but impossible or too expensive to prove innocence, is a portion of what's wrong with society today. The problem is that most people like yourself act like sheep and just go along with the status quo instead of voicing our opposition, letting the powers that be know we're not happy, and standing up for ourselves.

If none of this makes any sense to you and you yourself haven't been in a similar situation or know someone that has, I invite you to pull your head out of the sand. Like I said, evidently you're not aware of how the civil penalties system is set up, ran, and executed in metropolitan areas if you're really going to sit there and say paying a $15 fine in pennies and voicing my opinion on why is somehow admitting that the citation was justified and deserved, when the reward for fighting the ticket and winning is paying $100 in court costs.

I suggested writing a letter to the judge because I've had success doing this in the past w/ penalties that were many times $15. Works for me why couldn't it work for you?

Because I suggest taking this to a level that is able to make real changes(city council) to polices, I am a sheep? Your tantrum to the clerks did a lot to reform things? You really stood up to those clerks and made them count those pennies.

Your frustration is coming out as angst; you are mad but offer no viable suggestions for changing things. I never said the system was perfect; its pretty fucked up if you ask me. I understand where you're coming from. My point is that your cute demonstration completely missed its mark beyond making you feel a like you proved them your point.

black88gt
01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
THIS THREAD'S TOPIC IS EVIDENCE OF WHAT I'M SAYING. People were frustrated with the cameras and they escalated it through avenues that actually change things. And yes it probably cost them something but in the end what doesn't?

sparkles
01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
You're obviously either not seeing what I said, or choosing to ignore it. I DID "write a letter" to the judge, via an appeals form. That's the only thing that was offered upon me asking. Like previously stated, I was told afterwards that I could have a formal appeal in front of the judge, but even if I had won, it would cost $100. Beyond that, what would you do? I've done all the fapping I care for for today.

sparkles
01-30-2012, 02:02 PM
THIS THREAD'S TOPIC IS EVIDENCE OF WHAT I'M SAYING. People were frustrated with the cameras and they escalated it through avenues that actually change things. And yes it probably cost them something but in the end what doesn't?
It shouldn't have to cost us to to exist normal in society without big brother trying to have their hands in our pockets everyday.

sparkles
01-30-2012, 02:12 PM
You have to start somewhere, even if it's small. Enough people do the same, and the issues are brought to light, perhaps something will change. To be honest, I don't have any great suggestions that you wouldn't construe as wasting my time or that wouldn't seem extremely on the other side. I'm the type of person that thinks what Timothy McVeigh did (outside of killing all the people he did) made sense. He should have done it on a weekend when nobody was in the building IMO, but his point of the government being in our business when they shouldn't be and outright control over the people, was dead on. While I'm not the type of person to do something like this, I would be the type that would support vandalism of city property used to unjustly drain money out of people.

black88gt
01-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't disagree with your points or the motivation behind them. I just think that if it bothered you there are more productive areas to focus your energies.

I've not researched the $100 appeal cost so I can't really speak specifically, but is this reimbursed if you win your case(I know they are in some cases)? IMO it would take a large reform, as the judge does not want to work for free, the officers do not want to work for free, the clerks, etc. This really boils down to my opinion that the government is too large at all levels. The money to support this behemoth has to come from somewhere.

black88gt
01-30-2012, 02:30 PM
And I'm the type that thinks you should exhaust all of the established routes for reform before resorting to Timothy Mcveigh actions, vandalism, etc.

I think that may be where the rub is in this.

sparkles
01-30-2012, 07:07 PM
? IMO it would take a large reform, as the judge does not want to work for free, the officers do not want to work for free, the clerks, etc. This really boils down to my opinion that the government is too large at all levels. The money to support this behemoth has to come from somewhere.

Finally, something we can agree on.

They may not work for fee, but handing out BS citations and making the process to fight it impossible and even more expensive isn't the answer. I believe laws are made to tax the public to pay for their existence. It's an incestuous circle.

Deimos
01-30-2012, 09:10 PM
he's voting NEWT

DustinsDuster
01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
i see light at either end of the tunnel, but my thinking was much more simple and self satisfying. one option would be paying the fine quietly; the city won't really notice, and the clerk i don't know has an average day. this way wouldn't make me feel better at all. another way would be Sparkles avenue. the city probably still won't notice the inconvenience, or miss the money, but i know its still costing them. this is kinda satisfying. the clerk who has to deal with a shitty client because their employer has the citizen by the balls is a casualty of war as far as i'm concerned. as justified as the officer felt to write me a $15 citation for a questionable offense, i would feel just as justified paying it in whatever way i see fit.

another fun way would be to ask if you could set up a payment plan on the $15. $1.50 a month for 10 months?

c_mart_28
01-30-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm late to the party. My opinion on the original subject:

I've had one ticket from a red light camera and one from a speed camera.

Both my fault. I paid both tickets.

I think the cameras are for the better and I support them. Just don't tell me their primary function is not to raise additional revenue. It's hugely obvious they are.

But if the cameras slow down even just one driver or make that idiot who thinks that red lights are optional think twice, than they are benefitting my family and that I support.

sparkles
01-31-2012, 08:47 AM
he's voting NEWT
Actually, I'm a county delegate for Ron Paul

I'm late to the party. My opinion on the original subject:

I've had one ticket from a red light camera and one from a speed camera.

Both my fault. I paid both tickets.

I think the cameras are for the better and I support them. Just don't tell me their primary function is not to raise additional revenue. It's hugely obvious they are.

But if the cameras slow down even just one driver or make that idiot who thinks that red lights are optional think twice, than they are benefitting my family and that I support.
I have noticed that traffic has slowed down on 235 where they've put the speed camera, and I do like that effect. Beforehand, you had people doing literally 85mph zipping around grandma doing 50mph. All in a 60mph zone. It's a little more fluid now. Problem is though, all it's doing is creating a bottleneck where there wasn't one before. Everybody is doing 65mph across all 4 lanes now for 2 miles, then it's back to chaos.

For me, not only are the intentions of the cameras to generate revenue, but I just don't like big brother watching my every move. It might sound a little crazy, and you need to think outside of the box to understand where I'm coming from on this one, but they are putting a band aid on an EVOLVING problem. The infrastructor of our highway and road system was never intended to handle the amount and type of traffic we have when it was first developed. The updating of it hasn't kept up with the way society is using it, and the way car manufacturers are designing cars. Think of how much gasoline is wasted in an average day by cars idling at stop lights and stop signs. Think of the fuel burned and wear and tear on your brakes when you go down a road that has a 4 way stop at every intersection in a neighborhood in your 8000lb truck. Think of the width of the roads between buildings downtown that you have to turn into the other lanes when making a right turn because cars are so much larger now.

I know a total revamp of our road system is never going to happen, but it just makes you think about things. Drive my truck around for a week in town and you'll see what I mean. I'm just saying I notice ways that would make a lot more sense as far as flow of traffic, safety, and the economical standpoint all the time. To fix it would take trillions of dollars I'm sure. Makes you look at things differently when you're driving.

Drifte
01-31-2012, 08:50 AM
I believe laws are made to tax the public to pay for their existence. It's an incestuous circle.

This is why Im astounded any time I get pulled over and a cop chooses not to ticket me. Its like, well, you wasted your time pulling me over, you might as well make the cities money back right? Not that I should argue, I dont want the fine. But its money in their funding.