PDA

View Full Version : Mike rowe at Congress

Domestic Disturbance
01-24-2012, 02:03 AM
This man speaks the truth for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NwEFVUb-u0&feature=BFa&list=FLRdAAIF4-TpymkIkKk50p3A&lf=mh_lolz

JustinS
01-24-2012, 06:18 AM
It's sad how trades jobs have been demonized in pursuit of the four year degree. We do need more jobs in those areas, otherwise he will be right, we will be paying more per hour for a plumber than a psychiatrist.

Phish
01-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Without watching the video, i think this is a little old. If its the same one that i have seen before, He was right then and he is still right now. Its just one big healthy dose of reality. Ignored by congress, but atleast it was said.

Ricky
01-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Did you know that these embedded videos don't show up on an iPhone? I thought they uses to but now I don't see anything. Can you add just the link under the video?

JustinS
01-24-2012, 07:44 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NwEFVUb-u0&feature=BFa&list=FLRdAAIF4-TpymkIkKk50p3A&lf=mh_lolz

85XR7Project
01-24-2012, 07:59 AM
I couldn't agree more, I work in a machine shop that produces parts for John Deere and it is becoming increasingly difficult to hire good, expirienced and reliable machinists. Instead we hire college kids who have shitty work ethic, no skills and a terrible attitude. Mike Rowe is one of my favorite TV personalities.

JacobS
01-24-2012, 08:07 AM
couldnt agree more! while working in the asphalt industry ive learned that my generation is lazy. they think that if they get a 4 year degree theyll be safe and making good money. but once you get that degree, everybody wants experience which college grads wont have unless they get an intership.

im glad i didnt go to college. i like to work my ass off and feel the sense of accomplishment after building a new road or parking lot.

sparkles
01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
It's sad how trades jobs have been demonized in pursuit of the four year degree. We do need more jobs in those areas, otherwise he will be right, we will be paying more per hour for a plumber than a psychiatrist.

Sadly, I'm one of the people that think that's the way it should be. Carpenters, plumbers, and electricians like myself actually DO something. Why the hell does a phychiatrist or physician need $500 an hour to sit in a chair, listen to somebody, and write some crap down on some paper? Oh, because their school is expensive you say? Sooo? Not my fault you decided to enter a profession that puts you hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt when you could have took a 4 year 1 night a week apprenticeship for around $4k.

JustinS
01-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Oh I do agree that trades are underpaid, it was more of a point that basic service prices are likely to skyrocket due to a decrease in the amount of skilled people that are qualified to perform them. I also think some professions are grossly overpaid.

85XR7Project
01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Well I work in a non union shop making what assemblers at Deere's START at and I had to bust my ass all these years to get there and they do less. I don't understand going to school for a degree in CNC machining because they go to school and get hired on at entry wage and I have expirience and didn't go to school and I make loads more than they do.

Domestic Disturbance
01-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Well I work in a non union shop making what assemblers at Deere's START at and I had to bust my ass all these years to get there and they do less. I don't understand going to school for a degree in CNC machining because they go to school and get hired on at entry wage and I have expirience and didn't go to school and I make loads more than they do.

I think the educational level required there is at the employers discretion though. I am union for rockwell collins without any degree, and I feel the way the operations are run here make perfect sense. I know the union debate could go on for 100 pages, but in my instance they seem to be the mediating factor of quality work control. Our factories production rate reflects that. Not saying unions are 100% right, they are all different and run by different people. I just dont believe they are the cause of these issues either.

There's a comedian that put this whole 4 year education do anything you want to be thing in really good perspective. I'll try to find the video.

sparkles
01-24-2012, 04:30 PM
I know the union debate could go on for 100 pages, but in my instance they seem to be the mediating factor of quality work control.
I'm a firm believer that the industry and free market set standards for quality control. If you make shit, people won't buy it. I worked for JD for a while in my younger days. Left a bad taste in my mouth for unions. I have worked around, and hired people that have worked for the IBEW and I can say they act like the biggest arrogant assholes I've ever seen. I'm sure some of it can be attributed to the fact that most electricians, union or not, are that way, but not all of it. Those 2 around here are the worst IMO. I'm sure there's a union out there that's actually in place for the purpose they say they are, but I've not seen or experienced it.

85XR7Project
01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Well I didnt mean all unions, just the JD union. They really make unions look bad.

sparkles
01-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Yes, yes they do. They're quick to take your dues though! Not so quick when you need them to do something for you.

Domestic Disturbance
01-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Thats a shame. Not to drag it out much more, but actually remember in metal working in highschool the local pipefitter union had a rep stop by and pretty much explain this same thing. Basically how they offer internships in x field which guarantee x pay because they guarantee x work. I've never understood the arrogant union side of things, but also the arrogant nonunion side too.

Here's that video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLjyo51qmrI