PDA

View Full Version : LSx Wisdom..

c_mart_28
01-21-2012, 12:23 PM
So I have this friend..

He has an '05 CTS-V that is basically stock. Catback exhaust, CAI, tune (he thinks..)

He has finally purchased a different daily driver to enable him to do a few things to his Cadillac. He likely isn't going to want to take the motor down byond the intake but would be okay with throwing a cam, intake, TB, and the like. He also doesn't want the thing to be ridiculously loud so full longtubes might be out also.

So, being that my knowledge is limited having never owned one myself, I turn to you guys for input.

If you wanted to make more power without pulling the heads, what direction would you go?

Thanks,
Casey

White04GTP
01-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Leave it alone... Rear ends gonna break if he mods it much. Thats what ive heard at least.. Bunch of people broke the rear ends. pretty weak from the factory

c_mart_28
01-21-2012, 01:03 PM
I have heard that also. This intent of this car is more just for a powerful cruiser moreso than a drag racing outlet. He can run my car down the track if he wants to do that.

Batwood
01-21-2012, 01:05 PM
The 04-05 have the weaker "Gen I" Diff as far as I know. They like to get noisy and explode.
Even the Gen II's in the 06-07s aren't that great.
You can get the Gen III installed that is supposed to be like 100x better.
That should probably be the first mod. Along with a "wheel hop eliminator" kit or whatever they call them.

I still want one of those... :(

slow ride
01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Small torque cam if you want it to drive well and pull all through the powerband. I'd stay in the low 220 duration on a car like that if you want it to stay sort of smooth, etc and will require springs, pushrods and a new chain at the least. I could help you guys pick something to maximize the power with the current compression/stock heads. Volant intake seems to work well. Run headers with high flow cats if you like and keep the stock catback. You could add some better tips to the stock mufflers to make it "look" aftermarket. Port the tb/intake if you like, but not huge gains to be had here. Have the car tuned for best results.

I could check with the guys at the ws6 store if they would do some sort of package deal on the parts if you like. I can get a custom cam ground from comp to go with everything. Just those little things will wake it up a bunch. Headers are worth like 25-30hp after tuning and add power all through out the powerband.

c_mart_28
01-21-2012, 01:26 PM
^^^^ I was hoping you'd chime in :)

I'll solicit the owner's feedback today.

AutoMods
01-21-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't like dumping money into beefing things up until its really necessary. Not sure how weak the rears are. My rear was suppose to break already too but it hasn't. So you'd have to research that. But I wouldn't let fear stop him from doing what he wants to do. Just so he knows it possible it might break and if he treats it well during launches and doesn't try to spin the tires around every corner it may hold up for a long time.

If he's open to nitrous, that would get the most results right away. Supposedly you can jet it how they say to and you don't need to tune it . But I always like watching over the afr's and knock sensors just to be safe,... but tuning software is a $500-$700 investment.

Otherwise if he doesn't want nitrous listen to EddyC's advice above.

Grr
01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
I would put on a intercooled Maggie 112 setup for about 10psi and 80# injectors, run it on E85. Longtubes into stock exhaust. I did the longtubes E85 to one with a maggie on it with stock exhaust and you could barely tell until you got on it, then i was pretty loud but sounded great. Never had any problems and drove alot of miles on it. Had to put in a LS7 clutch shortly after though. Great setup with the stock motor and super reliable, fun as hell to drive too

c_mart_28
01-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Ed, he was most interested in your line of thinking.

So if you had a $1500-2000 budget for parts, would you have a specific direction or combination you would recommend?

c_mart_28
02-21-2012, 05:38 PM

So if you had a $1500-2000 budget for parts, would you have a specific direction or combination you would recommend?
Paging slowcar..

c_mart_28
02-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Paging slowride..

Bah you get the point...!

2 minute edit rule for the loss..

slow ride
02-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Is it bone stock right now? Intake, cam, springs and pushrods. Are you guys going to do the install? I'd say headers, but the good ones are expensive and will eat into the budget quick and tuning will cost some. I'd say due the headers and tune, but it will be pushing the $2k mark with everything. We could talk this out sometime over the phone if you like? I'd like to figure out what HIS idea of driveability is for the car.

c_mart_28
02-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Not bone stock, no. Open element filter, catback and a tune (he thinks..)

We can do the install ourselves. At least, as long as the motor stays in the car.

Ideally, he doesn't want much more exhaust volume. At least not under everyday driving circumstances.

slow ride
02-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Don't change the exhaust, just put some nice tips on it. Headers will make it a little louder and I'm sure he would want the cats or high flow cats in it. Headers can make it a little "tinky" sounding so I'm not sure if thats ok or not? A tune, small cam, and intake should wake it up a decent amount. Headers would do a decent amount also across the board, but it's up to you guys if it's in the budget.

I'm selling off a lot of my NA parts soon, but mosr of them are probably more than he would want or need. Heads are a good way to make power without messing up how the car drives, but it's a little extra work, etc.