PDA

View Full Version : vote for tires allowed in 2012 Street Car Shootout

AutoMods
12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Some background info. In the past, our street car shootout has been dot tire only. However cheater slicks (dot bias tires) have been allowed. Cheater slicks are hard to come by under 26" and many fwd cars need under 26". So fwd cars either have to run a full slick or a radial. Same applies to awd cars however they are usually not hard up for traction even with radials. We are unaware of any local awd that plans on running slicks at this time.

Also some people may own a full slick and not want to buy a dot slick.

Do we sacrifice some "street rules" to allow more participation ???? A full slick is not street legal.

Drifte
12-12-2011, 12:02 PM
The AWD guys I know are real men, and they will run snow tires and not give a F*$%. So that narrows it down to allow fwd a slick..or not too.

black88gt
12-12-2011, 12:15 PM
I've got some options for FWD

1. Run a radial
2. Find a shorter bias ply
3. Buy a new car
4. Enjoy the FWD class
5. Make regular street tires hook
6. Convert to RWD
7. Convert to AWD
8. Add weight over front wheels
9. Tubs for wider tires
10. Driver mod
11. Convert to jet power
12. Finance track expansion to allow roll racing

Feel free to add more

AutoMods
12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
reminder: fwd's will be running with other cars, not going to make a small ladder just for fwd's. but we can have a prize for fwd quickest et.

LT1Dan
12-12-2011, 12:58 PM

1. Run a radial
3. Buy a new car
4. Enjoy the FWD class
6. Convert to RWD
7. Convert to AWD
9. Tubs for wider tires
10. Driver mod
11. Convert to jet power

Feel free to add more

Pretty much this. Its a street car shootout.

Either let everyone run slicks or stick to the DOT tire rule. If we are going to start making concessions based on the weaknesses of a platform someone chose to build, I'm going to want lengths on anyone that has a power adder if I run N/A because I'll be at a disadvantage then.

c_mart_28
12-12-2011, 01:00 PM

1. Run a radial
3. Buy a new car
4. Enjoy the FWD class
6. Convert to RWD
7. Convert to AWD
9. Tubs for wider tires
10. Driver mod
11. Convert to jet power

Feel free to add more

Lol.. Hilarious.

I'm voting for slicks for everyone just so I don't have to mess with switching my tires out :)

snickerlicker
12-12-2011, 02:02 PM

1. Run a radial
3. Buy a new car
4. Enjoy the FWD class
6. Convert to RWD
7. Convert to AWD
9. Tubs for wider tires
10. Driver mod
11. Convert to jet power

Feel free to add more

Best post of the year!

h22apwrd94
12-12-2011, 02:40 PM

1. Run a radial - Radials suck, although the MT's in a 235/60/15 have been known to hook 500+ in 3rd/4th on a FWD
2. Find a shorter bias ply - M&H offers a 235/60/14 that would work great on a FWD
3. Buy a new car - GTFO....I can go fast how I want to
4. Enjoy the FWD class - Fine with me
5. Make regular street tires hook - You guys try that as well - your "cheater slicks" use the EXACT same rubber compound as my slicks as made by M&H...look it up, pretty funny
6. Convert to RWD - will build a RWD eventually, just enjoying this right now
7. Convert to AWD - then I would get bitched at for running a built DSM auto into the 9's....too fast...on snow tires
8. Add weight over front wheels - will have this - lead ballast bars/boxes being made this winter
9. Tubs for wider tires - nope...remember....STREET car
10. Driver mod - nah, just seat time
11. Convert to jet power - pffffttt
12. Finance track expansion to allow roll racing - don't need to roll race

Drifte
12-12-2011, 02:47 PM
12 options 12 excuses lol, jk.

h22apwrd94
12-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Here is a link to each tire.

M&H drag slick in the size I will be running
http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=71&rn=328&action=show_detail

M&H cheater slick....DOT approved because it has grooves....LOL
http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=72&rn=279&action=show_detail

JacobS
12-12-2011, 02:48 PM
1. Run a radial - Radials suck, although the MT's in a 235/60/15 have been known to hook 500+ in 3rd/4th on a FWD
2. Find a shorter bias ply - M&H offers a 235/60/14 that would work great on a FWD
3. Buy a new car - GTFO....I can go fast how I want to
4. Enjoy the FWD class - Fine with me
5. Make regular street tires hook - You guys try that as well - your "cheater slicks" use the EXACT same rubber compound as my slicks as made by M&H...look it up, pretty funny
6. Convert to RWD - will build a RWD eventually, just enjoying this right now
7. Convert to AWD - then I would get bitched at for running a built DSM auto into the 9's....too fast...on snow tires
8. Add weight over front wheels - will have this - lead ballast bars/boxes being made this winter
9. Tubs for wider tires - nope...remember....STREET car
11. Convert to jet power - pffffttt
12. Finance track expansion to allow roll racing - don't need to roll race

QFT

i also find it funny how black88gt is talking shit when he car would get drug by most of the FWDs on this site.

h22apwrd94
12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
12 options 12 excuses lol, jk.

Nah, no excuses, I just find it funny that we can call a tire that is a slick with some sharpie lines drawn on it a DOT tire, but the exact same compound tire without the "grooves" is considered NON-DOT

AutoMods
12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
well i prefer 3 deep slits for more streetability :)

http://mickeythompsontires.com/images/products/et_street.jpg

h22apwrd94
12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Now that is funny. Does MT disclose their compounds on their tires like M&H does? Just wondering if we will find the same thing there. And that tire isn't a wrinkle wall like the M&H I referred to that is considered a DOT legal tire. That would more compare to this.

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=73&rn=310&action=show_detail

AutoMods
12-12-2011, 02:59 PM
^ so did you vote for option 1 or 2 ?

black88gt
12-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Case closed it seems. FWD doesnt need slicks to be competitive.

QFT

i also find it funny how black88gt is talking shit when he car would get drug by most of the FWDs on this site.

You've seen my car AND know what it runs? Please enlighten me. You want to lock it a run in next spring on the street w/ me?

I'm not trying to hate on FWD I just think its lame to change the MAIN factor of a street car classification. Its one of the easy ways to identify street cars. Don't think I've ever seen a "street" class run on non-DOT tires. I'm sure these cars could be made to hook. You may say that the rules cater to RWD but given the cars in the field the RWD cars are also more likely to be auto and/or have suspension work

JacobS
12-12-2011, 03:08 PM
man, i bet you feel like a badass trying to lock in a race with a guy who has a car thats TORN APART. youre so cool. stfu and go back to work at your booth.

LT1Dan
12-12-2011, 03:14 PM
man, i bet you feel like a badass trying to lock in a race with a guy who has a car thats TORN APART. youre so cool. stfu and go back to work at your booth.

Guess thats a no.

black88gt
12-12-2011, 03:16 PM

I'm not going to sit here and have a shit fest with you. You brought my car into this, so if you would like to do this then lets do it, otherwise please leave my car out of it. My car is on jack stands at the moment as well. Not sure what has offended you, but I'm not going to sit here and argue with you.

JacobS
12-12-2011, 03:30 PM
ill look you up come spring/summer for some friendly competition.

AutoMods
12-12-2011, 03:32 PM
ill look you up come spring/summer for some friendly competition.

we could use another locked in race in the callout thread. lets do it!

JacobS
12-12-2011, 03:43 PM
im not going to lock anything in if my car isnt running. springs a long ways off, well see how it goes considering im laid off and money is tight

h22apwrd94
12-12-2011, 03:49 PM
^ so did you vote for option 1 or 2 ?

I actually voted for option 3 based on my view of M&H tires. Which is a narrow view, but it seems there is a few of them here.

AutoMods
12-12-2011, 04:14 PM
im not going to lock anything in if my car isnt running. springs a long ways off, well see how it goes considering im laid off and money is tight

:hitwithrock:

had to use a new smilie i've added

Grr
12-12-2011, 04:26 PM
IMO if you are going to stay hard assed as a STREET car shootout, it should be drag radials only. ET streets are far what most of the world consider a street tire, DOT or not. So if we can run ET Streets or comparable I just cant see not allowing slicks on FWD

sparkles
12-12-2011, 09:37 PM
IMO if you are going to stay hard assed as a STREET car shootout, it should be drag radials only. ET streets are far what most of the world consider a street tire, DOT or not. So if we can run ET Streets or comparable I just cant see not allowing slicks on FWD

^this

Are we talking about a ET Street being ok? Or just ET Street Radials and those like it?

DustinsDuster
12-12-2011, 09:41 PM
i want to run a pair of American Racer treaded tires on my truck. they have a full tread on them, but they are bias-ply. where do we stand on them? i want to run them because they're soft and i can buy a decent used pair off a sportsman racer for around $50.

AutoMods
12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
i want to run a pair of American Racer treaded tires on my truck. they have a full tread on them, but they are bias-ply. where do we stand on them? i want to run them because they're soft and i can buy a decent used pair off a sportsman racer for around $50.

nothing wrong with bias, a lot of motorcycle tires are bias still today. a lot of classic cars run bias. cars ran bias for a long time before radial technology. i'm sure your tires are dot legal so no problem.

its just a pure bias slick that have not been allowed before. or even a radial slick is not allowed either.

http://mickeythompsontires.com/images/products/et_drag.jpg

h22apwrd94
12-12-2011, 10:10 PM
So a DOT stamp makes a difference but the fact that rubber compounds are the same does not?

Scott
12-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I'd say let em run a slick, its a FWD anyway. He would run a ET street if they were available. I'd say do anything that will increase car counts, I doubt it will be the fastest car there anyway

h22apwrd94
12-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I'd say let em run a slick, its a FWD anyway. He would run a ET street if they were available. I'd say do anything that will increase car counts, I doubt it will be the fastest car there anyway

I plan to run as fast as I can, but unless I get rid of some weight and get it really dialed in, I won't drop out of the 11's on slicks. The MPH is there for faster, but it needs a lot of work yet.

Scott
12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
If there needs to be a big deal made about rule changes usually its geared toward the faster cars that are destroying the competition to make the racing more competitive. If the hondas start cleaning up house with slicks then you might wanna look into the rules. That and I havent seen a honda run anywhere near a 11 second 1/4mile so I wouldnt mind seeing it.... They can use as much help as they can get, just sayin...

AutoMods
12-12-2011, 10:33 PM
So a DOT stamp makes a difference but the fact that rubber compounds are the same does not?

I wonder if the cheater slits actually help with rain, I know the tires aren't at all good with rain but I wonder if it helps a wee bit.

Anyway, I think the main point is that you can legally drive a dot tire on the road. yes they wear fast but some people actually street drive them and put 3000 or so miles on et streets until they are worn out. with a pure slick the popo is going to pull your honda over and ask why you have no tread and tell you that they are low on air. Then he will ask you why the rear of your car is jacked up so high and has skinny tires. Then he will take you to jail and impound your car.

that said i can live with either decision. i can see both points . i think having more cars join us might be funnest.

sparkles
12-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Who's going to decide this then? The poll?

h22apwrd94
12-12-2011, 10:45 PM
If there needs to be a big deal made about rule changes usually its geared toward the faster cars that are destroying the competition to make the racing more competitive. If the hondas start cleaning up house with slicks then you might wanna look into the rules. That and I havent seen a honda run anywhere near a 11 second 1/4mile so I wouldnt mind seeing it.... They can use as much help as they can get, just sayin...

Hey, I am all for it. I just want to get out and have fun and meet some of you guys. Shit, I'd like to go a round or two, but if I made it any further, it would be on luck, not skill.

h22apwrd94
12-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Who's going to decide this then? The poll?

You, Sparkles, of all people, should know how useless a high HP FWD Honda is on street tires. Haven't you drove Bens car at the track? I would like to have fun, but if it goes to street tire only, I will invest in a set of Diamond Racing wheels and M&H Street/Strips and run them on the car. May not be as competitive, but I will throw on the slicks after I am eliminated and run some real times for myself.

AutoMods
12-12-2011, 11:58 PM

sub 11 second honda's, rotaries and big foot all have one thing in common...... you hear of them but sightings are rare

Domestic Disturbance
12-13-2011, 01:31 AM

x2. I hate the idea of bending the rules for a certain vehicles inadequacies, but we did bend the rules to allows autos in a manual event, so I think slicks for fwd's isn't the that big of a deal(I flip flopped). Especially because it'd be helping increase the manual class, overall participation, and I want to see them run. Would it really upset anyone beyond complaining if FWD's did have slicks?:biggthumpup:

sparkles
12-13-2011, 07:47 AM
You, Sparkles, of all people, should know how useless a high HP FWD Honda is on street tires. Haven't you drove Bens car at the track? I would like to have fun, but if it goes to street tire only, I will invest in a set of Diamond Racing wheels and M&H Street/Strips and run them on the car. May not be as competitive, but I will throw on the slicks after I am eliminated and run some real times for myself.

True....

Maybe it was the fact I'm scared to go faster than 9s.

boostedsohc
12-13-2011, 06:37 PM
voted everyone should be able to run a full slick. that way if you wanna run dot you can and if you wanna run slicks you can. everyone should have the choice.

boostedsohc
12-13-2011, 06:43 PM

here ya go. fastest pass my car made last year. so now you have sorta seen one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92HkFFdW6nU