PDA

View Full Version : New to the site

h22apwrd94
12-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Hey guys, my name is Mike. Been around the the Des Moines area doing the car thing for a while. Grew up around drag racing out east. Made the trip with my dad to Maple Grove every year for the NHRA event. Moved out here and got into the Honda thing. Never have grown out of it. Spent years piddling with an H22 and finally wanted to get a car that I could put on the track. Built myself a mild setup and threw it in my sedan. Finally got it to the track this past October and made a few passes. Best pass of the day was a 11.88 @ 130mph. 60' in the high 1.8's and still was happier than I have been in a while. I still need a lot of seat time, and some more work into refining the setup, but I am going to stay at my current power level for now, and see if I can get another .6-.8 off of the ET. This was at stock weight, even still had a full size spare in the thing. A lot of work to do over the winter, but I am looking forward to a great race season next year.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii48/h22apwrd94/2011-10-07124234.jpg

Clinical
12-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Looks good and sounds like a good setup.

Some people here like to dog on hondas but there are a few around that make great power.
I'm around them a lot and they always surprise me again and again. Surprised I haven't tried one yet but I've already had my DSM's and I'd probably get annoyed with the FWD.

FiFdYnUtZ
12-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Welcome! Damn I've been bringing the new members in lately!

85XR7Project
12-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Welcome!

Full size spare in a Honda? WTF?

CiviC_boY
12-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Welcome... Good to see more hondas joining..

Sleepy
12-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Hey Webb! Glad to see you have joined.

What happened to the 95' you had?

AutoMods
12-06-2011, 07:58 AM
welcome, she is making good mph. any videos?

h22apwrd94
12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Looks good and sounds like a good setup.

Some people here like to dog on hondas but there are a few around that make great power.
I'm around them a lot and they always surprise me again and again. Surprised I haven't tried one yet but I've already had my DSM's and I'd probably get annoyed with the FWD.

Yeah, I think I fooled around with the H22 for a little too long, but once I deceided to build a B-series, everything came together pretty quick. I am very pleased with the outcome and will continue to aim for my goal. I look at the FWD thing as a challenge, but if I can get it down to a consistent low 1.6 car, then I should be able to hit my goal of low 11's.

Welcome!

Full size spare in a Honda? WTF?

Yeah, my buddy I got the car from did a lot of driving...I mean a lot. The chassis has 265K on it, so the service donut wasn't an option for him. On the plus side, I have a car with all original body panels and glass that was unmolested and could not have been in better shape for having the mileage it does. No rust on it, and only really the hood and rear bumper in need of a re-spray.

Hey Webb! Glad to see you have joined.

What happened to the 95' you had?

I still have my other civic, but I am going to just make it a good DD with A/C, PS and a B20, then sell it. No room for 2 projects currently, and this is the far better chassis to work with.

welcome, she is making good mph. any videos?

Unfortunately with half a dozen friends at the track with cell phones that take video, nobody could manage to get a video of the car. I also was stumped by the operation of the Go-Pro, so that didn't get any footage either. Too much on my mind that day to worry about that freaking camera. Going to buy myself a Contour piece for next season, as I see they are much easier to operate. I will get some pics of the slip, and I should have one of the dyno. I will also post some more pics of the car.

h22apwrd94
12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I have a ton of build pictures, but I will just post a few. The manifold was custom built by a local here in Des Moines. Joe at 515 Customs did all the welding work. The idea and layout is mine, and we managed to get everything done including DP and dumptube in right around 20 hours of work time. It really was the basis for my entire build, as I have always loved the forward facing setup. Less charge piping, can still keep my power steering if I want, and easy way to get a nice equal length manifold. I am eventually going to push this 67mm as far as I can, but right now, I am near the max of the fuel system on E85.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii48/h22apwrd94/2011-08-31203530.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii48/h22apwrd94/2011-10-02214802.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii48/h22apwrd94/2011-10-02214932-1.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii48/h22apwrd94/2011-10-07124315.jpg

JustinS
12-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Wow, nice looking setup! Don't see many forward facing turbos in the Honda world.

AutoMods
12-06-2011, 09:00 PM
wow that power is up there high on that dyno. i stopped my pull around 6k and yours was just getting warmed up

JacobS
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
haha and dallas said i could compete with you when mines done. DONT THINK SO! nice car

h22apwrd94
12-06-2011, 10:22 PM
wow that power is up there high on that dyno. i stopped my pull around 6k and yours was just getting warmed up

Yeah, I was working on spring pressure there, so the gate was opening earlier than I wanted it to, and I did not see as much power early as I would have liked. With the PWM boost control, I am going to try to get more power under the curve earlier in the powerband. There is a lot left in it as we only really got 3 full pulls at this pressure before we had to put it on the trailer and head to KC. A great deal of fine tuning that I think can result in more power early and translate into some better ET's for me. I don't want to spin it any higher either, as no need to put undue stress on the rod bolts.

AutoMods
12-07-2011, 08:43 AM
whats the displacement?

sparkles
12-07-2011, 09:42 AM
I have a ton of build pictures, but I will just post a few. The manifold was custom built by a local here in Des Moines. Joe at 515 Customs did all the welding work. The idea and layout is mine, and we managed to get everything done including DP and dumptube in right around 20 hours of work time. It really was the basis for my entire build, as I have always loved the forward facing setup. Less charge piping, can still keep my power steering if I want, and easy way to get a nice equal length manifold. I am eventually going to push this 67mm as far as I can, but right now, I am near the max of the fuel system on E85.

I was over there a few times when he was putting the cage in my car and he was working on your manifold. Looked killer off the car. Nice to finally see it installed.

CiviC_boY
12-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Nice didnt know if that was the same.. but i followed your thread in jdmcity

Drifte
12-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Cool build, keep us posted on it. Maybe you can get some jdmcity guys to share builds here. Everybody likes a good build thread.

h22apwrd94
12-07-2011, 08:12 PM
whats the displacement?

81.5 x 89mm LS/VTEC - basically a large 1.8L

Stock sleeve motor on E85

Domestic Disturbance
12-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I dig this setup. I like how aside from the turbo sticking out it looks relatively stock. Engine bay looks well done too.

h22apwrd94
12-08-2011, 03:09 PM
That was one of my goals with the car. Keep the stock appearance, even better with it being a sedan. I need to finish the exhaust on it, and it should end up pretty quiet. The engine bay has a few things left to clean up, need to finish some wiring and get my breather box setup in its final location, but other than that, it is pretty well finalized underhood. I am going to mount the license plate in front of the turbo inlet for street driving as extra precaution. It will end up with either steel wheels with stock hubcaps on it and a 235/60/14 DR or a set of decent 15's with a 235/60/15 DR.