PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a boring car

slow ride
11-22-2011, 09:21 AM
What to do with my car. Everything is running well engine wise and I’m just getting a little board with it. Been running the current setup for a long time without changes to power. I’d like to calm down the driving characteristics also as I’m a old wuss. Whatever I do must be able to withstand lots of street miles, etc.

-Drop compression on current 383 and sell off NA stuff to supplement funding for a custom twin turbo. Hand ported 317’s, ls2 intake, stock manifolds, etc. E85 would be a second fuel option as it’s available all around me. Not looking to break any records (or drive train parts) with it 600+ pump, 700+ e85 with good spool. Space sucks on these cars so it’s not a easy thing to do when fabing something up. I'd ask Chris to do any really important welding, but I'd do the exhaust, etc (can't see it anyway:)) Big fuel delivery is a pain on a twin tank vette, but not impossible. This setup would be the most streetable as the cam size will drop and the turbos will make up the difference in a big way.

-Sell off entire engine and build a decent 454+ NA engine. High 500’s whp range is possible with a decent size streetable cam. I’ll probably spend more doing this than the turbos.

-Leave it alone and enjoy the ride. Sounds boring I know, but sometimes you get over your head and end up never driving the dam thing.

-Leave car alone and build a budget drag car to turbo. Junkyard 5.3’s, 6.0’s, etc. Don’t really have the space to store the car and the total investment is probably more than I’d want to spend (time or money) right now. Sounds fun, but it’s the least realistic option of the 4.

black88gt
11-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Option 1 ftw, sounds like its exactly what you want you just have a few logistics to work out. No real compromises there like you would have w/ the others.

Drifte
11-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Sell it, buy a brand new z06 or ZR1.

slow ride
11-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Some day, but not right now. I need to go faster than that geez.

AutoMods
11-22-2011, 10:49 AM
option 4 is what I'd like to see. all you talk about is cars and crazy power, you already know how to get it done in about every aspect. just need a platform to apply it thats not going to hold you back. something like an 80's mustang, it will allow you to really go crazy with the power and not have to worry about ruining an expensive corvette, keeping it light, drivetrain breaking or you paint job, etc. your going to be doing wheelies and going to need a roll cage. your going to save a ton of time and money in the long run....iron block, larger engine bay - single big turbo, ditch the ac and ps. bullet proof rear end and easy access to the tranny.

TbTalon94
11-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Option 5: Find clean 1g and build it to the hilt???

slow ride
11-22-2011, 11:13 AM
I would like to have everthing I listed above, but something has to give. I just can't see what I'd do with another car and I don't want to store it somewhere else. Some day when I have a shop and make a few more bucks. As impressive as a timeslip is, it's just as impressive to fab up a one off turbo deal on a chassis like a c5 and have it last the long haul in daily driving. You know me, I like driving the car around all over the place, even long distance. Even if I had something else to build I still want the vette to be different. Too many vette guys say you can't build something like this and I get the biggest kick out of proving people wrong.

I can just live out my 1/4 fix through all the badass cars on this site. They are already leaps and bounds a head of where I would be. Your car is a good example of something that will be fun to watch grow and get faster at the track. You just need a turbo 400 after that rear swap and hold on tight.

slow ride
11-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Option 5: Find clean 1g and build it to the hilt???

Sometimes I wonder where my old turd went. She was a clean one and would have been fun to drive on e85.

snickerlicker
11-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Put a TVS 2300 S/C like Joe has on his C6Z, tons of power, doesn't take up the space like turbos would, and moves the fuck out!

slow ride
11-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I was thinking about it, but it's like 7G for the vette kit plus the hood and paint. I'm not ballin out of control enough yet :) Not looking to spend anywhere near that much on a old c5. Now if someone had a hookup price on one I'm all ears.

Drifte
11-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I was thinking about it, but it's like 7G for the vette kit plus the hood and paint. I'm not ballin out of control enough yet :) Not looking to spend anywhere near that much on a old c5. Now if someone had a hookup price on one I'm all ears.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176693

AutoMods
11-22-2011, 12:32 PM
I just have visions of 1000hp wheelies for you, here is some motivation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0MLr255TDcM

slow ride
11-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Me too, some day. Loves me some notch back. Just trying to work with what I have. that TVS kit above would be sweet, but it's set up for ls3 square port heads which don't fit on a small bore.

90blkbrd
11-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't know all of the changes you've made to your Z06 so please forgive me.

I have a C5 Z06 that is bone stock. I've done a little reading on this and all of it tells me you'll need to make a lot of upgrades to the drivetrain along with the turbo. Such as the transmission, torque tube and clutch. Then on top of that you will probably need to make rear suspension changes to help with the wheel hop.

My vote is going with enjoying your Z06 as is and starting with a new platform to make crazy power with.

sparkles
11-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Sell it...buy a Supercoupe

slow ride
11-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Yea, I build t56's and have a good grasp on corvette drivetrain in general. Most c5 stuff is good to 6,7,800whp, but ya never know either. The only stuff stronger is the 6060 trans from 08' and above cars and a c6z diff (zr1 is like the c6z, but even better). Those few things will run 5k+ so I'm not sure about messing with it. Most of the diff damage comes from the drag strip and wheel hop. Trans damage usually ends up being stripped teeth of 3rd gear which many people chalk up to lack of lubrication in the front of the trans during long high load pulls.

I know better than to open a big can of worms, but sometimes I feel like doing it just for the challenge. I'd love another car, but refuse to park any of the cars outside so until I build a shop I need to keep the fleet small. I did pick up some 317 heads yesterday with SS valves for a sweet deal so it's a start. I'll do a light hand port on them and use them or sell them depending on what I end up doing.

c_mart_28
11-23-2011, 08:20 PM
^ Well alls I can say is that if my T56 ever decides its had enough of me, you are who I'm calling first! If nothing else, for a bit of knowledge at least.

That is unless, I decide to go th400 just to show EddyB a thing or two.. :)

FiFdYnUtZ
11-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Lol next year eddyb will be putting on an 8 Sec clinic I hear

AutoMods
11-23-2011, 09:31 PM
that'd be cool. eddy b has got a lot of wrenching to do. building another motor and going supercharged? sounds like blacky is out of the run now so eddy b will have to carry the team

OldSkoolRCR
11-23-2011, 11:06 PM
^

That is unless, I decide to go th400 just to show EddyB a thing or two.. :)

Casey...I promise U its gonna take more than a TH400 to beat the 98 at the IAF shootout in 2012, You might want to get a TH400 and some N20...lol But your car would run dam good with a auto.

AutoMods
11-23-2011, 11:35 PM
First new rule for 2012, no dual power adders

OldSkoolRCR
11-24-2011, 07:41 AM
I wont need power adders to get it done all motor!

c_mart_28
11-24-2011, 07:51 AM
First new rule for 2012, no dual power adders

Ls1in an fc= 1 power adder.
Turbo= 2.

Sounds like next years shootout might be a bit boring! :)

slow ride
11-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Still think there should be a seperate race for the stick cars.

And a different thread started for this stuff hahaha :)

OldSkoolRCR
11-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Still think there should be a seperate race for the stick cars.

And a different thread started for this stuff hahaha :)

The race is for stick cars...and all of them stick cars are allowed to run power adders of some sort, and the 1 and only auto that has to be shifted has to run on motor, seems fair to me, but being the great guy I am, I would be willing to set everyone of them stick cars out a couple of car lengths and I get to spray...what ya think?...lol

slow ride
11-24-2011, 11:54 AM
I think your car runs too good NA Ed :) If you stick a bigger bullet in it I'd say game over for everyone else. Either way it's fun to see all the local guys out having fun.

OldSkoolRCR
11-24-2011, 12:29 PM
I think your car runs too good NA Ed :) If you stick a bigger bullet in it I'd say game over for everyone else. Either way it's fun to see all the local guys out having fun.

I still think you should trade me that nice vette of your for it? But your right just the fun of having everyone togather racing, BS'n is what its all about.

90blkbrd
11-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Sell it...buy a Supercoupe

I don't see why not! :) I saw one on the dyno do 828rwhp and 802rwtq on E-85.

Yea, I build t56's and have a good grasp on corvette drivetrain in general. Most c5 stuff is good to 6,7,800whp, but ya never know either. The only stuff stronger is the 6060 trans from 08' and above cars and a c6z diff (zr1 is like the c6z, but even better). Those few things will run 5k+ so I'm not sure about messing with it. Most of the diff damage comes from the drag strip and wheel hop. Trans damage usually ends up being stripped teeth of 3rd gear which many people chalk up to lack of lubrication in the front of the trans during long high load pulls.

I figured you had already had the drivetrain under control. Good to know someone who knows the T-56 in case I ever need it serviced.

slow ride
11-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Yea, high power t56's are hit or miss. I think most of the problem is the front gears due to lack of oiling under acceleration. You can break them from drag strip shock and speed shifting also, but that goes for any manual. 6060's have a pump for this and other have added a electirc pump to t56's and had them last longer. I figured if I stay in the 6-700whp/wtq range everything will be a lot better off. It's hard to use much more power on the street unless you are talking 100+ mph. Aint no super speedways around here to hit 150+ on a regular basis and I'd like to keep my license.

Most of the cars running a t56 at high power levels seem to make a lot of torque with big engines, etc. I'm sure if you put a t56 behind a smaller engine making high power in the 8-10k range it would take a lot more as it would only see 5-700ft lbs of torque. A light car helps keep the load down also, but most of the factory equipped t56 cars are on the heavy side.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Sell it or trade it. That's what I do when I find a car boring. Or, start a big project on it and then get even more bored of it because you cant drive it and THEN sell it or trade it. ;)

StreetSweeper
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Blacky is out for a long long time!!! lol

slow ride
12-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Picked up some 317's that had a few passes on them after having SS valves put in them with a VJ. Price was right and don't have to worry about the stock million mile valves taking a shit. I pulled the valves and cleaned them up already. Planning to hand port the heads, lap the valves in and run a decent spring.

Getting some ideas together for turbo size, but it's not easy to choose and package everything. On one hand you don't want to limit the system, but on the other hand sizing the turbos to the maximum power levels requried will make the system more responsive, etc. Everything is tight in the frame rails and I might change to a c6 oil pan to free up a little extra room, but it's still going to be tight.

I'm still on the fence about the whole deal since it's such a drivetrain limited car in 6 speed form. I guess it's still a cool project to try and if it ends up gutting the drivetrain I'll be "forced" to upgrade :) Here is an example of something Vengeance racing put together with stock c6 exhaust manifolds. It's a much bigger setup than I need, but a good example of the space requirments, etc.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1381086-vengeance-racing-custom-twin-turbo-c6-z06-build.html

AutoMods
12-17-2011, 10:06 AM
I'll take those heads if you change your mind on the project ;)

AutoMods
12-17-2011, 06:41 PM
wow that Vengeance kit looks complicated, I'd hate to mass produce that kit. good dyno results though. hey ... some of their bad welds look like some of my better welds (aka not perfect) which makes me feel better about myself.

yea just make the power and worry about the other stuff later :drive:

slow ride
02-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Car is apart, just need to drop the rear subframe, tube, etc. C6z stuff going back in with a better (smoother) clutch this time and maybe a few little driveline upgrades. It's only a t56 c6z trans, but it has coolers for the diff and trans so thats a plus. The diff has a 1" bigger ring gear and the trans/rear use like 4 more bolts to join together with better mounting, etc. Should take a beating as most have never broken a c6z rear. Good thing is I can sell my old built c5 stuff and probably make a few bucks :)

fuel system is next.

c_mart_28
02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
So. Are you saying we might be seeing this rare beast on a drag strip or racetrack in the near future? And not just sitting in the parking lot :)

slow ride
02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
We'll see after I do some test and tune without any spectators:) I'm not getting a drag pack so the best thing I have is my toyo dr's I'd be lucky to have all this done by this summer/fall. Only thing left from the NA setup is the shortblock for the most part. If I try to fab up a turbo kit it's going to be interesting to say the least. Turbos will be sized for fun so nothing out of this world. Space is hard to come by if you want them close to the engine.

I'm either going to run a ACT organic twin or Mcleod RXT twin for a clutch. RXT would be better for drag racing, but the car isn't going to make it to the track that much so I'm not focusing on that. I really need to go through the drivetrain well since it has been blocking me out of fast shifts for the longest time with the spec 3+. I'd be thrilled if I made anything over 700whp and could break into the mid/high 10's on stright e85. I'm not using crazy nice parts so it's hard to say. Best time in the summer was 4-5 years ago with the tex clutch, nitto dr's and 480whp was 11.6 at 122 in the summer, but that clutch released on the floor and I broke it that day. Now with the fast/rockers, 500whp I've never actually made a complete pass due to missing gears, etc. She's been a cranky bitch when it comes to the drag strip and I'm a little embarrassed about it as I've always been able to max out a combo at the track in my other cars.

c_mart_28
02-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I've made public spectacles of my driving prowess (or lack thereof..) in the past so I know how frustrating that can be.

I can only imagine how hard a car like yours would be to be at all consistant on a drag radial of any sort. After having used a bias ply tire and a full slick I'll let the auto equipped boys maximize a DR.