PDA

View Full Version : Old Trunk(s)

sLoWnStEaDy
11-20-2011, 08:37 AM
dont know a ton about either one yet but i have sent a bunch of pics/info to some experts and should know more soon.

The first is a big Steamer trunk made between 1880ish-1910ish. No idea on the maker yet, dating it based on the time period this style was popular, the type of hardware used on the trunk and some travel stickers on it from the 20's. There are a few stickers stacked up, the newest is from 1929. The bigger (30"+) trunks are fairly rare and leather covered trunks are very rare. This one is both leather covered and 40"+ so it should be rather rare and worth a little bit of money. Restored i have seen similar go for $2500+, this one is all original and a little beat up. Looking for $350obo on it as of right now.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/trunky.jpg

the second appears to be from the early 1900's, waiting for confirmation on that but pretty sure i am in the ball park. It is a smaller trunk, but in good shape and is has a removable shelf inside it as well. It is also a "US Naval Aviation" trunk. Has some tags on it as well but the dates aren't legible. You can clearly read "Bell Plaine, IA". This one is in much better shape, has the shelf and is just bad ass, $250obo for it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/trunk2m.jpg

i was planning to use the naval trunk for weapons/ammo and i wanted the big one to strap to the back of a rat rod but the vehicle i was going to put it on was a colpete disaster, even for a ratrod.

AutoMods
11-20-2011, 09:50 AM
pics are broken

sLoWnStEaDy
11-20-2011, 10:20 AM
think i fixed 'em...?

FiFdYnUtZ
11-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Belle plaine? Hmm ill have to show that to my grandparents...they might be interested

sLoWnStEaDy
11-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Belle plaine? Hmm ill have to show that to my grandparents...they might be interested

forgot to mention "Miller T.A." was stenciled/spray painted on it back in the day, it is really faded but visible/legible.

Sleeping
11-20-2011, 11:01 AM
still no pics

sLoWnStEaDy
11-20-2011, 11:29 AM
screw it, the links seem to work so i will leave it alone. Not sure whats going on there but if someone else can get them to show, feel free to give me a hand!

Batwood
11-20-2011, 01:03 PM
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9369/trunky.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7238/trunk2m.jpg

sLoWnStEaDy
11-20-2011, 02:04 PM
got bored and threw the removable tray back together in the Naval one.

sparkles
11-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Is there any junk in them...?

sLoWnStEaDy
11-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Is there any junk in them...?

sorry, no junk in the trunk. ;) we are currently using them to hide Landons christmas presents.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Grandparents said ta miller owned a clothing store in Bp back in the day

sLoWnStEaDy
11-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Grandparents said ta miller owned a clothing store in Bp back in the day

interesting. Do you/they know if "Miller T.A." is a military person or just someone who got the trunk and put their name on it years ago? The "Belle Plaine" is on the old label on the bottom of trunk. Sucks i can't make out the rest of the sticker except "No. 26540", "(773-C 8,44)" and the last bit of a company "Ex. Agcy. Incorporated".

FiFdYnUtZ
11-20-2011, 04:04 PM
from what they said i dont think he was, they knew exactly who he was and who he was related to, etc..

clutchmuch
11-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Antiques are the shit. I have an old trunk from the Hamilton MFG. CO. in Two Rivers, WI from around 1900. Few WWII bayonets and helmets. a Korean war 30mm ammo box, and other random stuff.

SaNdMaNsSi
11-22-2011, 07:16 AM
The reason you are seeing that name painted on the back is because, like after every war, military trunks, drop boxes, etc. were of no use anymore, so they began using them to ship supplies. So, the person in BP probably got truckloads of these all the time with their name stenciled on it (back then there were no area codes, so it was easier to identify businesses by name rather than location). If you ask anyone that worked at major industrial places like Iowa Manufacturing, they will tell you everything that shipped to them came in old ammo crates or trunks from previous wars, I have a few of them myself. I actually use a couple of WWII trunks to store all of the WWII stuff I buy or that my grandpa brought back with him after the war. Ive always liked the looks of those military trunks.
If you ever have questions on antiques, I'm probably your guy. Antiquing is pretty much all I do in my spare time. If it's military related, I can probably identify it with my eyes closed :)