PDA

View Full Version : Blackstone Oil Analysis - Cobra

Batwood
11-10-2011, 04:41 PM
As it turns out, the previous owner of the Cobra had it on 20psi on stock fuel system and probably beat the shit out of it.
I sent the oil in to Blackstone twice, just because I want to make sure there are no problems.
The first batch had 500 miles on it, track passes, and race gas.
The last batch had almost 100 miles with pump gas and not as aggressive driving.

I basically didn't like the way the oil looked when I changed it, but it was probably just from sitting for awhile.

Anyways, heres the report. Thoughts?
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m485/Batwood18881/blackstone.jpg

They want another sample after 500 more miles... but I doubt I'll be able to put that on it yet this year. They think the metal content could just be from previous abuse and might not be an issue yet. They also said that what was in the oil on the 100 mile run might have just been leftovers from before.

slow ride
11-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Or it could be from your untuned track passes. Have you cut apart a filter to see any bits and pieces in it? If it has good oil pressure, doesn't burn oil/smoke and sounds decent I'd think it might be ok. You should know that the higher the power level the faster detonation wil damage things. I'd go by oil pressure, compression and leak down numbers, but thats just me.

c_mart_28
11-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Whats the cost to have that done?

And I second what was already said..if it is not showing any of the typical signs of wearing down, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Jappbox
11-11-2011, 12:48 PM
What have we learned here? #1 never do dyno runs without a Wideband inless its a stock car. #2 dont beat on the car intill its tuned. #3 dont asume the previous owner did anything right, again even named shops fuck things up and now a days everyone has a shop or calls them self one.

I would have thought after all your Regal nightmares you would have learned not to trust people.

Find a good Cobra Tuning shop, Travel where in Iowa, im sure there is a shop in Chicago that has a good background, let them look it all over and tune it. You should have no problems with a well moded Cobra. There is a reason they are all over youtube racing. They are pretty reliable.

AutoMods
11-11-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm always amazed at how dumb some people are, I have had many customers call and tell me their car doesn't run right after I sold them injectors in which it turns out they just installed them and didn't know they had to tune/chip/flash the ecu. Few of them even wanted to return the injectors because I told them they were "direct fit", "drop in" and they were .... but I guess I assume if your buying injectors you should know you have to retune. Then there is always the "how much more horsepower will these injectors give me" questions in which I have to explain why the answer is zero.

c_mart_28
11-11-2011, 01:38 PM
But you said that they were drop in.

I should get more hp's if I have more gas.

duh.

snickerlicker
11-11-2011, 02:08 PM
If you modded a Regal, it's even easier with an 03/04 Cobra. There are about 20 different websites devoted to them. Many reputable remote tuners that have seen every combination possible. Doubt the 20 psi on ported stock blower too, no matter what the pulley combo. If it truly is 20psi rip that thing off and put a whipple on it, because you are WAY beyond the efficiency range of that blower. Are you positive it's on stock fuel system, i.e. Injectors, pump, etc....?? Like Jappbox said you have a great car to mod!!

Batwood
11-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I had "StangVortec" look at the car before. It is stock injectors and MAF ... I have to check on the pump for sure, but I'm betting it is stock as well.
When I dyno'd and raced it, I didn't realize it was pushed so far passed the limits of the stock fuel system. From what the previous owner said, it was tuned and set up right. Thats what I get for listening to an 18 year old in Pennsylvania though.

It has a ?10" lower and 3.4" upper pulley on a Stage 4 or 5 ported blower. Thats supposed to be 19-20 psi.

I would have just rather had the car be stock so I know exactly whats done to it and everything.
I might as well pick up a pump, injectors, and MAF as well as a different pulley setup.

And as for tuning shop.... any suggestions?

snickerlicker
11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Remote tune from either Kurgan motorsports, Lund, Brooks Speed, they are all good.

Batwood
11-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Remote tune from either Kurgan motorsports, Lund, Brooks Speed, they are all good.

I bought an SCT tuner from Lethal and a custom tune from Lund, but he refused to tune the car on 20psi and stock fuel setup.
If Lund has a good rep and a remote tune is decent, I'll probably just do that again. Black Friday sale is coming...

snickerlicker
11-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah do your fuel mods and he should be fine to go with.

c_mart_28
11-11-2011, 06:16 PM
No reason why a remote tune shouldn't work for your setup.

I had Kurgan tune mine when he was still in Chicago. Just something confidence-inspiring about a tuner who has seen it all actually in the car while doing the pull. I know he makes plans to be around these parts from time to time. He's on par with everyone cost-wise and provides (imo) a superior product.

Just don't try to strike up a conversation with him during the process. He does not want to talk to you.

sparkles
11-11-2011, 07:22 PM
If you decide to just throw in the towel, let me know. You like that Vette so much, maybe I can talk you into trading for my car. TPI FTW LOL!!!!

FiFdYnUtZ
11-13-2011, 04:31 PM
No reason why a remote tune shouldn't work for your setup.

I had Kurgan tune mine when he was still in Chicago. Just something confidence-inspiring about a tuner who has seen it all actually in the car while doing the pull. I know he makes plans to be around these parts from time to time. He's on par with everyone cost-wise and provides (imo) a superior product.

Just don't try to strike up a conversation with him during the process. He does not want to talk to you.

he was up at GLD with all the chitown racing guys for the KOTS races...im sure it would be easy to set something up for getting a car tuned in the chicago area still

allgo
11-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Kurgan makes trips all the time to chicago for group tunes, just call him and ask when he is coming next. Name droping with Kurgan doesnt hurt either..

Batwood
12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m485/Batwood18881/blackstone-1.jpg

Just an update, I ran another 500 miles on the oil and it looks like all the "metals" have basically cleared out.
I'm assuming it was just from sitting for however many months combined with whatever the previous owner did.
I thought it was pretty interesting to see how the levels drop.

slow ride
12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Sweet. Get the belt issues in check, fuel/tune it right and have some fun.