PDA

View Full Version : tire discussion

civicex_1134
11-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Just wondering what everyone prefers to use.... As in what are the pros and cons of the following tires. Be specific if you prefer a certain brand too

DOT drag radial
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/teggy1134/radials.jpg

Stiff side wall slick
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/teggy1134/stiffsidewall.jpg

Wrinkle wall slick
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/teggy1134/wrinklewall.jpg

Too my knowledge, (which isnt sayin much, lol), im assuming ud use the radials if u actually use ur car on the street. Which is what i will most likely use when the time comes. My definition of a "stiff side wall" tire is what i see on allgos car, eds car, georges car yada yada. And wrinkle wall, to me, is sumthing that straight looks deflated when its just sitting there. Correct me if im wrong. But anyway, wondering what the pros and cons are of all 3, and what everyone prefers.

Dallas

86svo9L
11-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I run Nitto 555's and like them, they are more of a nice weather tire though. Any sort of wet condition and things get hairy. If you drive your car on the street regularly a radial is the way to go. Wrinkle walls are ussually Bias ply and are sketchy on the street but hook great on the track. DOT drag radials hook nicely on the track when warmed up but have short lives for someone who puts on alot of miles. On my SVO I run Goodyear Eagle F1 all seasons and love them, I have 10,000 miles on them with lots of life left and with small warm up burnouts was cutting 60 foot times under 2 seconds (ussually 1.9s), If I could re buy tires again for my convertible I would go with these instead of the Nitto's.

sparkles
11-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Gotta make power before you need a tire like that ;)

FiFdYnUtZ
11-08-2011, 09:10 PM
lol yeah, a "wrinkle wall" is a bias ply tire, which a lot of the ET drag and ET streets come in (what ed and george and them use)...the stiff sidewall version is just that, the same tire compound with a stiffer sidewall...you would definitely want to be running a drag radial...the BFG you posted from what i have seen works well with the FWD cars and would be pretty practical for daily driving, a 555r would as well....honestly anything more than that and you might have trouble doing burnouts

civicex_1134
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM
well i plan on running those BFGs i posted on a spare set of wheels i have, plan on using a 225/45/15...... A lot of honda guys love em. Never planned on using slicks, lol..... my regular wheels will hold a 205/50/15 hankook ventus. Ill prolly use the radials for money races or the track. Whats everyone else use?

Larsons Fox
11-08-2011, 10:14 PM
My brother is running those same BFG radials on his crx. Last time at the track he grenaded his diff and twisted his axles. That being said I think those should work well for ya.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-08-2011, 10:37 PM
I used to run a 275/40/17 nitto nt05r and now I run a 275/60/15 mt et street radial

Domestic Disturbance
11-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Pretty sure if you aren't making enough power the softer sidewalls will lose their bound up force and thus lose traction and hop. My bias ply's were stiff wall 17's and they still wandered on the highway a lot. If its a DD, then get DR's. You can survive in the rain, much better at higher speeds, and longer life compared to any bias ply.

Deimos
11-09-2011, 05:13 AM
thats because of the whole bias ply vs radial thing Kitch.

Sleepy
11-09-2011, 06:58 AM
A lot of SRT guys run the M&H Drag Radial. From what I have read it is a no go if you want to run it every day. However for a fun car that gets pulled out on the evening/weekends its a good tire that is much like a slick. http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=70&action=show&show_products_mode=cat_click

There website does not show smaller sizes listed however I have seen them fitting on a 1st gen neon on stock wheels(14 inch) so they do come smaller, probably have to contact them.

I have the BFG's they work well.

I would say run street tires around town then buy spare wheels/slicks for the track. Slicks will take it easier on your drive train than drag radials will.

slow ride
11-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Out of all 3 the wrinkle wall should break fewer parts at the track in a manual transmission car. It really depends on what you will be doing with the car. All I know is a high power FWD is a little odd on the street, but to each is own.

AutoMods
11-09-2011, 08:28 AM
when are you doing your turbo setup?

slow ride
11-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Who me? I'm still sniffing around for parts. I have a lot of things to do if it's going to happen.

AutoMods
11-09-2011, 10:34 AM
No I was asking dallas. but you too.

sounds like challenge on that vette with air and ps but I know you could do a nice job of it.

Ed, I have these ls crate motor manifolds you can borrow for possible turbo fitment. Got them brand new off ebay for like $50. but the flange bumped something on my setup so they didn't work for me.

civicex_1134
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM
im hopin to buy some stuff over winter and put it together in the spring..... right now, im more concentrating on maintenance stuff.... T-belt, clutch, trans..... ect ect. But yea, hopefully in the spring sumtime

AutoMods
11-09-2011, 12:34 PM
just make sure you get anything that is "custom" ordered/done in the winter time. like custom intakes or exhaust manifolds, exhaust components, machine work etc. everyone is backed up in the spring time. off the shelf turbos may not be an issue but sometimes those get backordered too in the spring.

its always safer to build over the winter, machine shops and resalers like me are bored in the winter and more then willing to offer deals. then all of the sudden I can't get off the phone come tax return time and warm weather