PDA

View Full Version : construction question, can I drill through a supported garage slab floor?

AutoMods
10-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Bought a new 60 gallon air compressor, Kobalt from lowes. It was suppose to be quiet from the reviews but its not quiet at all compared to my neighbors 60 gallon one from Menards. I was thinking about putting the compressor in the room below my garage and running pipe through the floor.

I have a triple garage that is even with the upper level of our house and directly below the entire garage is another room that we use for storage and lawnmower, snowblower and stuff. I didn't build this house but I was told the main garage floor was constructed with a bunch of prefabbed 24x4 slabs that were lowered with a crane on top of the poured concrete walls.

I would like to drill through it but not sure how thick this kind of floor would be or if there is metal in the middle of it.

Sleepy
10-21-2011, 07:31 AM
No clue if you can or not. However if you were able to that would be a sweet set up. The biggest beef I have with my compressor is its flippin' loud. Would be much nicer to have air tools with none of the compressor noise.

Jappbox
10-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Ryan, My guess is those slabs are at least 6-8 inches thick with rebar in them im sure if you are drilling smaller than 1" you should be ok the issue is if you hit the rebar your screwed, I would stay close to the wall and close to the end were its lickly not to have rebar.

sparkles
10-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Yes. Go to your local rental place and rent a hammer drill and a bit for it. They make pretty long ones. There is rebar in it, but it's about every 12". Maybe Ed has one he'd do it for you. I would, but I'm a little out of the way.

skinny1030
10-21-2011, 08:52 AM
drilling it with a core bore would be best as it will drill through rebar if you hit it. call Star equipment or united and see if they will rent one.

OldSkoolRCR
10-23-2011, 01:01 AM
I got it all.

AutoMods
10-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Found out the floor to my upper garage is about 10 inches thick. 8" thick pre-fabbed slabs with about 2" of poured concrete on top of that. I happened to realize that the closet in my upper garage only has wood over the 8" slab and not the 2" of poured concrete on top of the slab like the rest of the garage. So I removed some drywall and drilled through the wood from the top and went between a 3/4" gap between the two slabs.

now I have a silent air supply in the upper garage, its great on the ears ! my brother-in-law is a pipe fitter so he did all the work. two air hookups below for the lower garage and backyard. and two for the upper garage and front yard and driveway.

by the way, this air compressor is pretty cheap, $500 and you can get Lowes 10% off coupons all day on ebay for $1 shipped . So $450 . The reviews says its relatively quiet but I didn't think mine was.

http://importevolution.com/temp/compressor.jpg

black88gt
10-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Thats a nice setup

Sleepy
10-31-2011, 01:23 PM
That is way nice. Very good solution.

Jappbox
10-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Glad that idea you had worked out. Im sure its much quieter now.

JustinS
10-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Got a water trap on that setup?

Looks good Ryan.

AutoMods
11-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I do have a drain valve on the upper floor. Also I have this regulator/water filter from harbor freight that was on sale from $40 down to $30 + 20% off coupon so $24 !

its huge and heavy, almost the size of a 2 liter bottle

http://www.1971chevysuburban.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/hf_filter.jpg

I have my hesitations with harbor frieght stuff but I think its a knock off of the $110 Devilbiss (manufacture of high end automotive painting equipment) regulator

http://www.etoolcart.com/ProductImages/painting/DEV-HAR602.jpg