PDA

View Full Version : I need some motorcycle advice

tylers88
10-19-2011, 10:41 PM
I want to get a bike next summer, I would like to get a sport bike. I want something that I won't "outgrow" in a summer or 2 and I will still have fun riding it. I havn't ever had a bike, I have riden a buddies in a parking lot to learn how to run a hand clutch setup, but I have 0 riding experience, other than mopeds. I just wondered what size of a bike I should look for, I figured a 600? Are there any bikes to stay away from for reliability reasons or just being a PITA to ride? I would just be cruising around and riding it 15 miles each way to work and after I got a summer or 2 of riding in I would take it to the track.

Ricky
10-20-2011, 08:06 AM
I have a 06 R6s that its getting high in miles but runs perfect and never broke down on me.

How much are you looking to spend? My bike is all black with a full carbon fiber front faring, full exhaust, and as of tonight a brand new front and rear sprocket and brand new chain. The front is -1 and the rear is +3 top speed will be about 130 but it is a snapy accelerating bike. Tires are decent and should get another 2,000 miles out of them. This bike will power up 1st by its self so be ready for the front wheel to come up.

The bike has been down one time :( right when i bought it 3-4 years ago when i was learning i laid it down. carbon fiber is scrached a little on the left side. nothing broke or was bent. That happend at 4,000 and the bike has about 24,000 miles on it now.

KBB puts the bike at $4,000 but with the high miles i would be willing to work with you.

Drifte
10-20-2011, 08:21 AM
High miles, pff. Maybe for Iowa, its not uncommon to hear of R6's in the UK or even just Florida with over 50k miles. 15k on my r6 on and people in Iowa think its high miles. Ill ride it to Florida and get top dollar!

First bike, GSXR is one of the best rated bikes. Brand new the kawi is well ahead of the rest. Like girls?..get an R6.

Ricky
10-20-2011, 08:37 AM
The only reason i want to sell it is becuase i want to pay off the car and then buy a new bike next summer. Bike has been paid off since i bought it so i palned on driving it till it died.

K-ville
10-20-2011, 09:27 AM
honda suzuki kawsaki yamaha it doesn matter which pick the one you like the looks of and you will love it and will last forever. they are all tough as nails and run close to the same and you being new to riding will want something new before you learn how to get everything out of a 600 anyway. I lean to suzuki but thats what the first shop i worked in had so i know that alot of why second would be kawasaki ive got friends who have tried to kill 636's and cant.

SaNdMaNsSi
10-20-2011, 10:49 AM
You can always start out on a Honda Ct70.....I'm running a couple of my own right now....ones an automatic, one is a 4 speed manual :)

Drifte
10-20-2011, 10:51 AM
You can always start out on a Honda Ct70.....I'm running a couple of my own right now....ones an automatic, one is a 4 speed manual :)
My first bike too, CT 70 4spd with a clutch.

SaNdMaNsSi
10-20-2011, 10:53 AM
My first bike too, CT 70 4spd with a clutch.

I love the crap out of mine. I never thought I'd like something with such a small engine, but I get guys in their 50's begging me to sell either one of mine to them. Granted, one is completely restored, but I've never seen grown men so giddy over something in my life.

Stutz
10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
I just bought an old yamaha xj600 for $300

sparkles
10-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Solid advice. Buy this.
http://iowaautoforums.com/showthread.php?12222-2002-Suzuki-Bandit-GSF600S

Drifte
10-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Oh sweet $2,500?! Ridiculous cheap.

tylers88
10-20-2011, 03:11 PM
I have a 06 R6s that its getting high in miles but runs perfect and never broke down on me.

Wouldn't be the one your doing a stoppie on in your avitar would it, HAHA? I understand 99% of used street bikes have done atleast one stoppie, wheather on purpose or just trying to get stopped fast, and atleast one wheelie. I'm not sure what I want to spend, I was going to see how much I could save over the winter. Only bikes I really dont like the looks of are the GSX-Rs, the headlight kills the looks for me, and CBR1000RR, the bubble windsheild looks pretty weak, a bike that fast need to be tougher looking.

Larsons Fox
10-20-2011, 04:40 PM
I would say look for a 03 and newer r6 or 600rr. Both bikes would be great at the track and with mods they run rather well.

I love my 08 cbr1000rr, one of the best looking bikes IMO.

FiFdYnUtZ
10-20-2011, 04:54 PM
i hate to say it but i would have to highly recomment sparkles' bike for you...a little better for a beginner than a full blown sport bike, and even comes with the beginner essentials, a coat and helmet...killer price

sLoWnStEaDy
10-20-2011, 05:15 PM
i'd say get a 750cc+ so you dont "out grow" it in a month. My first bike was a yamaha 600, it was fun, for a couple weeks. I have a CBR900RR now, much happier with it. Its like 12 years older than the yamaha but i just like everything about it more. No more waiting for 7k rpm for power, no high pitch honda with a fart can sound etc... I am a bigger guy though, 6'-1"ish, 185lbs.

I get shit for it being older but they are usually BEHIND me talking shit. It is modded though, air filter, jets, exhaust, sprockets and some cosmetics.

I guess my best advice would be to get something you are comfortable on. Too light, too heavy, to tall, too low, too fast, too slow, etc... Not something you want to be less than 100% confident on.

Larsons Fox
10-20-2011, 05:18 PM
i hate to say it but i would have to highly recomment sparkles' bike for you...a little better for a beginner than a full blown sport bike, and even comes with the beginner essentials, a coat and helmet...killer price

And it has a killer paint job! :cool:

tylers88
10-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I guess my best advice would be to get something you are comfortable on. Too light, too heavy, to tall, too low, too fast, too slow, etc... Not something you want to be less than 100% confident on.

Most comfortable bikes I've ever ass tested were my buddies like 93 honda CBR600 F2 ex-track bike
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v129/164/66/647695351/n647695351_1339501_1736.jpg

or his 954RR
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/19432_458454215351_647695351_10877438_61645_n.jpg

I am a little afraid to start with a 1000 though, the 600 above is the bike I lot rode. Also I like the looks of full fearing(spelling?) bikes more. Also I had planned on getting 2 coats and 2 helmets when I get a bike before I even ride it.

FiFdYnUtZ
10-20-2011, 06:10 PM
And it has a killer paint job! :cool:

By whose standards? Haha

Larsons Fox
10-20-2011, 06:29 PM
By whose standards? Haha

By the guy who painted it. Looks better than black, even tho blacks my favorite color.

Drifte
10-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Sparkles is a perfect beginner bike, and great for longer rides. When Ricky and I cruise to Tama or Cedar falls, we basically balls out fly there to avoid getting cramped up. CBR600RR graffiti addition was my first choice for a bike (comfortable, looks awesome, high price). But the 07 R6 is hard to beat for the performance and price.

Ricky
10-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Wouldn't be the one your doing a stoppie on in your avitar would it, HAHA? I understand 99% of used street bikes have done atleast one stoppie, wheather on purpose or just trying to get stopped fast, and atleast one wheelie.

Yeah that it. I was rolling when i did it so it wasnt one of those "slam on the front brake at a top" stoppie. Wheelies it will do, sometimes wheater you want to or not. Tested out the new sprockets last night and it was cold but fun. If you go wide open in first be ready to roll back off of the throttle because it will stand up on its own quickly. Last night i rolled into the throttle in second and it came up on me too. Its quite snappy lol. All i have done is some second gear wheelies here and there. I have never done a long highway stand up or anything like that.

I have had this 600 for over 3 year and havent "out grown it" I love corners too much and have plenty of power on tap for what i use it for.

sparkles
10-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Obviously, I'm a little biased, but for a less novice rider my bike is a pretty good choice. I wouldn't say it's really a "beginner" bike per say just because there's quite a lot of people that don't "grow out" of them. Me being one of them. I've had it for 3 years now. I've had a CBR1000F, Busa, Smokin Joe CBR F3, Multiple cruisers, etc. No BS, this is the most comfortable bike I've had out of all of them. One of the biggest reasons I bought it. I was getting a little older and I wanted to trade a little of the go fast for comfortability. The previous owner is a buddy of mine and has taken it to Colorado and Wisconson before. Pretty nice to go on longer rides and not stop every 20 min because your back hurts. Also, I know a lot of people say things about slower bikes like "it's not so fast you're going to kill yourself". I wouldn't use that statement. It's still fast enough to kill yourself. It's an oil cooled, very reliable engine that is dead even with my buddies 98 GSXR 600.

And as far as the paint, it's the JetStream Blue that is on the 2010 Corvette ZR1. The pictures don't do it justice. There's actually crushed diamond in it along with a pearl that in the sun is EXTREMELY awesome. Call your local GM dealer and ask how easy it is to get. They tried to keep it very exclusive to that car and it took some strings being pulled to get a pint of it. As Aaron said, it was professionally painted at a shop in a booth. Not some wave machine painted in somebodies garage.

Drifte
10-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Yea, but is Sara Jean Underwood, Playboy playmate of the year 2007 standing next to your bike?

sparkles
10-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Yea, but is Sara Jean Underwood, Playboy playmate of the year 2007 standing next to your bike?

Yes...
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/ericksonb06/Bike/Bike.jpg

FiFdYnUtZ
10-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Wave machine...hahaha just like my garage painted TA?

Domestic Disturbance
10-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Did you lock this by accident again? Haha.
In my opinion I'd say don't go bigger than 600 if its a newer bike. I have pretty limited ride time (2-3ish hours) between a good number of bikes. The 07 gsxr 600 had plenty of power to learn with, and then some. Just a little uncomfortable if you are bigger.

FiFdYnUtZ
10-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Shit I must of...did you unlock it?

tylers88
10-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Shit I must of...did you unlock it?

Way to fricken go

FiFdYnUtZ
10-21-2011, 07:29 PM
well if i wasnt working all the damn time i wouldnt have to be on the forum on my phone lol..fuckin phone likes to lock threads randomly