PDA

View Full Version : 04 Cobra....

Batwood
10-16-2011, 02:29 PM
I might as well put my Cobra up on here.
I just don't like the car. I didn't build it and I've never really been a Mustang fan.

04 SVT Cobra - Silver in color. 48k miles or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBm1X7h1Cx0&feature=channel_video_title
^that was the car in 09.

Mods:
Suspension:
• Steeda 03/04 Specific Sport Springs
• Steeda Full Length subframe connectors- Powdercoated Silver
• Urathane Bushings Throughout
• Black Billetflow IRS Brace
• Steeda Caster/Camber Plates

Engine:
• Supercharger/Blower- Stiegemeier Stage IV Ported and Show Polished Eaton
• Accufab polished TB and Plenum
• Pullied upper and lower with Metco 10rib pulley setup
• Metco adjustable idler brace & bracket
• Pi-thon Silver Hose Clamp Fittings
• RMP SS Hood Struts
• Premium NGK Iridium High HP Spark Plugs
• MAC Prochamber Mid-Pipe
• Magnaflow Cat-back with Brushed SS MRT Rolled 3" Tips
• Stage 2 clutch
• MGW Short throw Shifter

I added Tokico adjustable front shocks, DMH electronic cutouts, AFCO front mount, Nitto NT05R drag radials and brand new front tires, brand new chrome 17" 5 spoke cobra wheels... etc.

Previous owner put in a Ford Racing Crate motor ... aluminator...

It needs a radio and the belt issue fixed. I'm assuming there is just a pulley out of alignment. Trapped 118 with no traction and short shifting every gear. (5800rpm or so). Needs a tune, injectors, MAF, and pump and should make 600whp.

The car is very very clean. Not a single dent or anything like that.
PM me on here or email jamf_18881@hotmail.com
My cell is: 319-533-8073.

I put it up for $21k obo... will consider offers.

I want a damn CTS-V. Also I am considering a turbo Regal thats selling this week... Too many toys. I honestly like my C4 better than the Cobra. lol

I don't really know much about these cars and I haven't had this one very long. I'm sure it has all kinds of potential though.

Fire Hawk
10-16-2011, 02:45 PM
GLWS!!! I'd be all over it but a little more than what I'd be willing to pay.

Batwood
10-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Obo ;)

civicex_1134
10-16-2011, 05:09 PM
GLWS! Super clean, and has a lot of power to make yet...

85XR7Project
10-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Shit you've had it on CL for a while now (I've been drooling over it), I figured you didn't much care for it. GLWS, you gonna look into a CTS-V now?

Batwood
10-16-2011, 06:51 PM
I want a CTS-V.... but I found an 87 Turbo Regal selling soon.... I'm a car whore. I fall in love easily.

But yeah, I just don't like driving the car.. plus its a god damn Mustang! ewww.
Honestly the Vette is more comfortable by far to drive.

If somebody from here was interested, I'd show the car and everything I know about it... and probably come down a little.
IAF discount!

Deimos
10-16-2011, 07:23 PM
you ever propose a trade with the dude on Gmls4/

AutoMods
10-16-2011, 07:50 PM
glws, you never liked that mustang from day 1

Clinical
10-16-2011, 08:19 PM
my buddy wants this super bad haha, he's been into civics forever and now just bought his integra in late spring and has been talking about getting a cobra. Doubt he could get financed for one like this yet though.

GLWS!!!

snickerlicker
10-16-2011, 09:26 PM
I want a CTS-V.... but I found an 87 Turbo Regal selling soon.... I'm a car whore. I fall in love easily.

But yeah, I just don't like driving the car.. plus its a god damn Mustang! ewww.
Honestly the Vette is more comfortable by far to drive.

If somebody from here was interested, I'd show the car and everything I know about it... and probably come down a little.
IAF discount!

Anybody who says a junk C4 Vette is more comfortable to drive then an 03/04 Cobra must be smokin some good weed that I'd like to get a hold of.. And don't get me started on Turbo Regals, mid 80's crappy GM quality that's as expensive to own as a DSM!!!

Batwood
10-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Lol. Shifter sits about a foot too far ahead and the seat sits up too high... Uncomfortable. C4 has a low roof that hurts my neck but I like driving it.

An old regal would be less than half the cost and is more unique... And its a Buick! :)

86svo9L
10-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I can understand how he feels. I enjoy driving the SVO more than I have ever enjoyed driving the vert. It feels to comfortable and disconnected, like getting out of a go cart and hopping into a luxo cruiser.

snickerlicker
10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Lol. Shifter sits about a foot too far ahead and the seat sits up too high... Uncomfortable. C4 has a low roof that hurts my neck but I like driving it.

An old regal would be less than half the cost and is more unique... And its a Buick! :)

Been there done that... Had both a C4 ZR-1 and an 87 Grand National, and I got news for you, Buick or not it's not that nice... Besides everybody thinks they are Monte Carlo's anyways!! LOL! Wait til the mods start and tell me how cheap they are compared to your Cobra... Between the oil leaks, and head gaskets blowing, Fragile transmissions, the list goes on and on...I wouldn't exactly say it's more unique then an 03-04 Cobra either, they made more Turbo Regals in 86-87, then they did 03-04 Cobras.

Batwood
10-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Cobra cost me over 20k. Regal will be less than ten.... Lots of room for mods. Or ill just build the tpi and make everyone nauseous. Lol

slow ride
10-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Stick a ls something in the old c4 (I only say ls so you could drop 100 lbs with a aluminum block). Stay iron and do a 5.3l for cheap with ecu or bore and stroke it to a 383 iron deal. Make 450+ NA (or whatever your wallet allows) and enjoy it. I keep going back and forth on what to do with my car, but NA is easy to keep running and responsive. That old TPI is a torque monster, but game over by 4500 or so.

86svo9L
10-16-2011, 10:16 PM
+1 on LS swap

LT1Dan
10-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Or you could piss everyone off and just trade engines between the Cobra and the C4. TPI in an 04 Cobra? S/C 4.6 crammed (somehow) into a C4? Awesome.

GLWS

stangvortech
10-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Anybody who says a junk C4 Vette is more comfortable to drive then an 03/04 Cobra must be smokin some good weed that I'd like to get a hold of.. And don't get me started on Turbo Regals, mid 80's crappy GM quality that's as expensive to own as a DSM!!!

thats what im thinking!

allgo
10-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Turbo regals are great with light mods but once you take the step of going fast have fun working on it everyday...

Batwood
10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
I never go fast... Lol. I just pretend.

c_mart_28
10-17-2011, 08:56 AM
I've always wanted a turbo buick also. Having "been there, done that" Joe I appreciate your input on the subject.

I agree with you Batwood that a stock Cobra has an..odd driving position. If you're not very tall the shifter seems a long ways away. The stock seats are gi-normous. The key is finding seats that you actually like. At least, that was the case for me. I'm tall enough that the shifter placement is actually pretty nice, but I went through 3 different sets of seats before I found my Recaro's that I like.

Here is my recommendation: If you still have the stock seats that were in the youtube video (black inserts) sell those things for a ton of money, buy a good set of Corbeau's or Recaro's and it will change your whole opinion of the car.

c_mart_28
10-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Then again, I can sometimes tend to make those small changes maybe a little bit bigger than they really are.

When I got my car it had this terrible shift knob that I hated. Got just a stock knob and it felt like a whole different car to me. I was psyched about it for like a month.

Seats are a pretty major change though.

allgo
10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
the thing about the gran nationals is I had the best of the best of everthing and still was a nightmare. when it ran it was fast as hell though..dont know to many v6s around here putting almost a 1000 to the tires..

Batwood
10-17-2011, 11:42 AM
I think you are right about the seats... it just seems like it sits up too high or something.
I'm 6' and it still feels like the shifter is far away. I'm just used to the Vette I think.

I have nowhere near enough cashflow to make 1000hp on anything right now... lol. We'll see what happens, but 500 is at lot to me at this point.

TbTalon94
10-18-2011, 06:10 AM
I've never liked how mustangs drove with their seating position. It's just awkward and un-natural feeling. Might just be me though.

Drifte
10-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Then again, I can sometimes tend to make those small changes maybe a little bit bigger than they really are.

When I got my car it had this terrible shift knob that I hated. Got just a stock knob and it felt like a whole different car to me. I was psyched about it for like a month.

Seats are a pretty major change though.

I choked on hot coffee reading this lol. I do the same thing. Im still pumped I have a fresh tune up on my truck.

K-ville
10-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Sounds to me like you had your mind made up you werent a big fan before you bought it! haha I loved my cobra only sold it to fund my Fox. I dont know of anything I would need to change other than just making more power.. and im not only a mustang guy i seriously like something of every brand hell i own a for a dodge and a pontiac right now haha

Batwood
10-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Sounds to me like you had your mind made up you werent a big fan before you bought it! haha I loved my cobra only sold it to fund my Fox. I dont know of anything I would need to change other than just making more power.. and im not only a mustang guy i seriously like something of every brand hell i own a for a dodge and a pontiac right now haha

I always talked shit about them... lol. I just didn't actually think I wouldn't like the car. Its a god damn Terminator Cobra... I loved those things!
Maybe I'll just sit on it this winter and add a few little things to make it safe. We'll see what happens come Spring.

I'm sure I'd feel much better about it if it would quit breaking.

Drifte
10-18-2011, 11:37 AM
What exactly is breaking on it?

K-ville
10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Fix her up right and youl love it! Do he seat swap suggested also that will help ya. I have to admit my gto is alot mor comfy than the 03 was but that said id still take the cobra over it

Scott
10-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Since I bought mine all I do is change oil, wash, and drive it.. but then again I payed the $$ to get what I knew was a nice car from the start. Cobras are very tough cars Im sure everyone has seen good ole Rob beat the living piss out of his for years!! Trust me the faster you go the more your at the mercy of what the car wants to do, they demand respect or they will wrap your ass around a pole before you can even lift off the pedal!! The money you got into that I say throw a turbo kit on it and a solid rear, maybe a auto trans then you will have a serious rocket! then you get a chance to tighten the bolts the last guy missed and do it right from the start. oh if you do that I want to buy those electric cutouts from you btw

slow ride
10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Seems like you just don't want to learn the ways of modding a cobra of that year the correct way and figure out what the heck you actually have. Seems like all the hard parts are there so go through them one by one and figure the damn car out. Add/replace parts that need upgrades so it's 100% right THEN decide if it is/isn't the car for you. Either way a well sorted car will always bring more money to the right buyer in the end.

Batwood
10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Seems like you just don't want to learn the ways of modding a cobra of that year the correct way and figure out what the heck you actually have. Seems like all the hard parts are there so go through them one by one and figure the damn car out. Add/replace parts that need upgrades so it's 100% right THEN decide if it is/isn't the car for you. Either way a well sorted car will always bring more money to the right buyer in the end.

Its frustrating to consider what I have in the car and then look at what the previous owner neglected to do.
I might end up keeping it... but I've thrown some serious cash at this beast. I don't have the money at this point (or rather I don't want to let go of the money) it will take to make it right. If I keep it this winter, I'll have it out next year ready to run hard.

I just spent a shit ton on it because I thought it was built the right way on 530whp or something. We'll see what happens. Maybe I'll win the lottery and make a race car.

slow ride
10-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Yea sometimes shit happens I know that for a fact. I bought my Z years ago, but only had the pleasure of driving it for about 2 months before it ate the lucky #7 piston. Now thats a kick in the nuts to have your new to you $32k car take a shit. Not the previous owners fault as he didn't do much work on it, but it was mistakes/fuckups made by the "expert" shops working on the car. I had to dive in head first and in the process found the fuel line kinked/pinched in two different spots which brought it to a early end. Springs were not set up right in the heads, trans leaks, etc, etc.

I ended up building the 383 out of the ls6, reusing all the old parts with some new stuff and ended up with a decent package. Looking back I might have just honed the bad hole and stuck a stock piston in it to get by, but I've learned a lot about ls stuff over the years from the whole ordeal.

If you do sell it I still like the idea of putting a ls in the ol C4 :) With all the truck parts out in the boneyards it's easy to build a decent setup on the cheap.

snickerlicker
10-18-2011, 05:52 PM
seems like you just don't want to learn the ways of modding a cobra of that year the correct way and figure out what the heck you actually have. Seems like all the hard parts are there so go through them one by one and figure the damn car out. Add/replace parts that need upgrades so it's 100% right then decide if it is/isn't the car for you. Either way a well sorted car will always bring more money to the right buyer in the end.

^ x2

stangvortech
10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
yea, dude you are a bap, injectors, maf, nitrous kit way from 600-650 rwhp and more torque then you deam of for the money.