PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Belt Problem - STILL

Batwood
10-05-2011, 04:46 PM
The Cobra has decided it wants to keep eating belts.

I put in a new radiator and did the coolant mod... and got the oil seperator hooked up so it doesn't smoke.

It has a 10 rib (yes 10... lol) belt. Randomly when you do a pull, it will move towards the front of the vehicle and kick off 1 of the ribs. It doesn't do it all the time.

I'm wondering if the s/c pulley is pressed on too far? Causing it to jump off the front of the pulley and screwing everything up.
I'll post a picture of where it sits, but it is pretty far back compared to the rest of the pullies.

None wobble, all bearings are tight and nothing is seized up. This began the day my alternator pulley nut came off and the pulley went cockeyed. It had a very very slight wobble, but even looking at it with the car running, you can't tell, so I'm assuming that is not it.

I can't go to the track Saturday unless I fix this. To the best of my knowledge everything is lined up right. I just installed a new tensioner as well. I'm almost thinking it does this if I miss a gear during a pull... but its not every time.

Thanks in advance!

Caleb
10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Just to try to give you some idea's. I have no clue, but usually when a belt shreds, either old age of belt, or misalignment are the only 2 things that jump out on me.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/301885-shreading-belts-left-right-s.html

and

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/204814-problems-re-installing-stovck-pulley.html

86svo9L
10-05-2011, 06:01 PM
You said that the pulley sits back a little farther than the rest? I'm not sure if your pulleys are like mine but they have a journal of some sort pressed onto them at the back to seal the snout. Maybe you need to get one made that is just a little bit longer to line the belt up better.

AutoMods
10-05-2011, 06:20 PM
somehow when i got my ls motor the alternator pulley had one less grove then all the other pulleys and it would shred the belt slowly.

Deimos
10-05-2011, 06:33 PM
well help is only fb message away fats

OldSkoolRCR
10-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Is the tensioner a manual?

allgo
10-05-2011, 07:15 PM
alternator pully for sure...just cause it looks good doesnt always mean it is.. if it has dropped its praoble fucked

allgo
10-05-2011, 07:16 PM
missing gears has nothing to do with this..its the pully or its a cunthair off somewhere

CiviC_boY
10-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Is the tensioner a manual?

I was wrong Ed the tensioner is not a manual it has a spring.

CiviC_boY
10-05-2011, 07:28 PM
missing gears has nothing to do with this..its the pully or its a cunthair off somewhere

Correct cause it did it when you where on the dyno also just doing a pull

Deimos
10-05-2011, 08:33 PM
blah blah blah you drink tonight batwood and fix it tomorrow

snickerlicker
10-05-2011, 08:34 PM
The stock tensioners can flex under load, most people put a plate over them to stop that. Sounds like an alignment issue, your alt sounds like it has issues though..

OldSkoolRCR
10-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I had issues with Georges and Deans cars doing the same thing, I replaced the stock tensioner (spring loaded) with a Katech manual and never had an issue again, but the fords may be different, I dont know.

c_mart_28
10-05-2011, 09:13 PM
I have a metco tensioner brace that seems to help some. After watching how much forward movement my stock tensioner has there's no wondering why cobra's are hard on belts in general..

That said I still will go through 1-2 belts a year.

Pro tip: Carquest offers a lifetime warranty on their Gates belts.

c_mart_28
10-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Also, regarding the manual tensioner: I've chosen not to run one (at least, thus far..) because I feel there needs to be that "give" in the system to lessen the load on the crank. People kept damaging the crank snout and ultimately trashing their cranks when they were running the bigger blowers (3.4 Whipple specifically) with a manual tensioner and an aftermarket lower pulley setup (which removes the pulley brace.)

I guess, long story short, consider your options before you buy something in an effort to fix the problem..Most importantly, figure out what's not lining up right!

Batwood
10-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Ok, thanks a ton for the input guys.

I replaced the tensioner and it does already have the brace on the front to keep it from flexing outward.

I agree that the alternator might as well be the culprit. I just need to try and find a single 10rib pulley ... might as well get a new alt i guess. Its not fun to take out.

As for the s/c pulley, there isn't a lip or anything, and it is probably 1/16 or less PAST the end of the snout. The back edge of the belt is damn near even with the back edge of the other smooth pullies.

I also will not have the car tuned because I don't know what MAF, injectors, fuel pump, or pulley setup is on the damn car. I need to figure all this out before I can get the tune made. Ugh. I will never buy a pre-built car again.

c_mart_28
10-05-2011, 10:42 PM
While you're messing with the alt, make sure you get an underdrive pulley of sorts for it. They're pretty over-driven from the factory.

Batwood
10-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I'd imagine one is already on it... I'd have to measure though.
It is SOOOOO frustrating to not know what the hell is done to the car. Brands and sizes and whatnot.
I want my Regal back.

stangvortech
10-05-2011, 11:19 PM
I would get rid of the 10 rib setup. it is not needed. I can come check the car out and tell ya what I know if you want. just pm me.

snickerlicker
10-06-2011, 07:54 AM
I'd imagine one is already on it... I'd have to measure though.
It is SOOOOO frustrating to not know what the hell is done to the car. Brands and sizes and whatnot.
I want my Regal back.

The old owner won't help you with what mods he had done to the car? Seems strange. Don't give up on the Cobra, it has WAY more potential then any car you have ever owned, Buick included.... Take up John on his offer to help figure out your mods, shouldn't be that hard to figure out. I'd help you if I still lived in Iowa..

AutoMods
10-06-2011, 08:29 AM
I agree with snickerlicker.

I also will not have the car tuned because I don't know what MAF, injectors, fuel pump, or pulley setup is on the damn car. I need to figure all this out before I can get the tune made. Ugh. I will never buy a pre-built car again.

Take a picture of the injectors and we can try to help you identify them. Also if your going to get your car tuned I would think that they could pull your current tune (and injector settings) from your pcm. Doesn't matter what pump you have if you watch your wideband afr's you will be able to tell if your pump can't keep up. chances are you have something decent in their form the sounds of your other mods

c_mart_28
10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Almost guarantee they're 60 lbs injectors. Everyone followed the same recipe in the mid/late 2000's.

Batwood
10-06-2011, 09:52 AM
I bought an SCT tuner from Lethal Performance with a Lund Tune. So its not an in person session.
I'm not sure where the place to go for a custom dyno tune would be. Just wanted a canned tune for this year.

Injectors are blue... I know that much. Lol.

I'm having John look at it Saturday.

AutoMods
10-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Well my injectors have a blue stripe. I run these injectors on my ls1 and so do a lot of mustangs, they are Siemens Deka 80lb'ers, also called Mototron 80lb'ers. Pic below shows the ev1 square connector but they are also available with the uscar connector that the termi uses. I have spec sheets on them that show flow rate vs kpa, miniumum pulsewidth, offsets values etc if your tuning software even allows you to enter that stuff.

http://braunstadt.com/lugtronic/images/80lb.jpg

AutoMods
10-06-2011, 10:37 AM
or do you have these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cobra-Injectors-39-39lb-Blue-Mustang-Set-8-/110754062575?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item19c974e0ef#ht_500wt_1182

JustinS
10-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Blue injectors are 39 lb/hr units if they're factory ford injectors. Green ones are 42 lb/hr.

Batwood
10-06-2011, 11:36 AM
or do you have these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cobra-Injectors-39-39lb-Blue-Mustang-Set-8-/110754062575?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item19c974e0ef#ht_500wt_1182

Those look right. No stripe but the whole thing is blue. Pretty sure the maf is stock too.

AutoMods
10-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Those look right. No stripe but the whole thing is blue. Pretty sure the maf is stock too.

39lb'ers would be good for around 475whp max on mustang stock fuel pressure

snickerlicker
10-06-2011, 11:57 AM
There should be a part # on both the injectors and the MAF sensor to get it figured out quickly. Factory MAF sensors can go a long way when you use an extender to increase it's range.

FiFdYnUtZ
10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I have green ford svo's on my car