PDA

View Full Version : 3 months of e85 and fuel filter element still looks new

AutoMods
10-04-2011, 09:55 AM
So i took a peek at my Aeromotive fuel filter element the other day after about going through 30-40 gallons of e85 over the course of the last 3 months.

I heard stories of it bringing a lot of black gunk out of old fuel tanks during initial e85 use but so far my filter looks just as clean inside as it did new

old picture but the one on the right is the one im using on the rx7
http://importevolution.com/temp/fuel_filters.jpg

LT1Dan
10-04-2011, 09:05 PM
I like how you color coordinated the cans with the filters. lol

skipdownstairs
10-05-2011, 03:14 PM
I have been having trouble with the black goo in my second filter my first filter looks just like the Aeromotive one in your picture not sure how many micron filter you have and mine also looks perfectly clean but everything seems to show up in my 2nd filter which is one of those cheap inline aluminum jegs filters with the filter area the size of a quarter I'm always having to take it out and clean it constantly. not sure what that shit is or where its coming from...

My guess is that you too have it in your system but your filter isnt trapping it the scary thing is can this shit get trapped and plug an injector down the road???

AutoMods
10-05-2011, 07:00 PM
^ that exact aeromotive filter can be fitted with 100 micron, 40 micron and 10 micron filter elements. I am running the finest filtration (10 micron) after my two internal pumps . I believe the walbro internal pump filters are 60-70 micron filters on their high flow pumps. 10 micron is usually the finest filtration you can get with any brand (except fuel lab has an ultra fine 6 micron) so I don't think your small filter could filter anything that my 10 micron aeromotive isnt.

Yes it can get in your injectors, heard of it happening to my own injector customers. I'd send the injectors in to FIC to be cleaned over the winter and flow tested and lubricated for storage. Its also not good to let injectors sit for months without use without lubricating them after e85 use.

One of my e85 customers who has the same injectors as you do Andy had that gunk problem and his injectors were no longer flowing up to spec until they were cleaned. This customer had a fuel cell so the tank was not the source of the black gunk. My guess is that it may be the fuel line or in the fuel itself. many people use standard braided line with success but many brands technically aren't e85 compatible. Perhaps something in the fuel at the station.

here is a thread
http://forums.evolutionm.net/alternative-fuel/423231-e85-injector-gunk-seafoam.html

stangvortech
10-06-2011, 11:59 AM
yea, mine looked new after a year and 3k miles.

skipdownstairs
10-07-2011, 11:49 AM
That's good advise ill send them in to fic this winter for sure im willing to bet the filter that i have in the aeromotive filter is 100 micron and my 2nd is a 10 or 40 or something along those lines which now makes sense that its collecting there. im going to make some calls today to see what aeromotive and fic both want

AutoMods
10-07-2011, 12:31 PM
I have the aeromotive 40 micron replacement filter element in stock. its stainless so its e85 compatible but you might want the 10 micron paper. paper is not e85 compatible but its seems to hold up for a couple years. good enough just change it annually.