PDA

View Full Version : Shop Experiences || Random House Racing

MoncefA33
09-07-2011, 05:23 PM
What's up IAF.

I could not find a better place to post this, but many of you may not be familiar with the shop Random House Racing, in Norwalk IA. So I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, that it was a poor experience for me, and I'd suggest anyone who needs work done of any kind to take your car elsewhere. Unless you want it broken. :)

I'm gonna keep this short and sweet - I had Leon Wilson from Random House Racing install some JWT S1 cams/HR valvetrain in my '01 Maxima. This post is rather late because I've been focusing on getting the car running and changing up a few things on the build over the summer.

When I got the car back, two weeks later, it died 10 miles away from my house. A list of what I saw on the car when trying to get it running again...
Random ground cables disconnected.
Knock sensor not hooked up (subharness damaged)
Crank position sensor (one of them) hanging out of my transmission
Belt squeal - tensioner was damaged after install.

Even afterwards, my troubles were not over - The car was running low 11s/high 10s AFR in CLOSED LOOP, and was slower than a stock 3.0 Maxima. Leon said this has to be a tuning issue - how a car with stock MAF, stock ECU and functioning O2 sensors and stock injector PW (confirmed using the e-Manage logger) runs this kind of AFR is beyond me.

So I had another tech check the timing, and lo and behold it was set incorrectly. LOL so after going back and forth between Leon, trying to state that the timing was off and was the cause for the poor performance, he denied any wrongdoing. I had a leakdown test done, and you could physically hear air escaping the intake filter when the valves were supposed to be closed. Leon denied this meaning anything, so while I had some fresh heads getting assembled at a local machine shop, I got this sweet picture of one of the valves. There's a lot more where this came from.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298441_1572345746751_1178730534_31593847_236877218 _n.jpg

The story continues here...

http://www.jdmcity.com/showthread.php?p=248179#post248179

Thanks for looking guys.

85XR7Project
09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Why can't a guy just say " you know what, I fucked up. I'll fix it"? People these days...

JustinS
09-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Random House Racing is the new Rapid Performance? LOL

sLoWnStEaDy
09-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Random House Racing is the new Rapid Performance? LOL

can't be... This shop, even though not done correctly, actually DOES work on cars. He also got his car back, not missing any parts. ;)

Deimos
09-07-2011, 06:44 PM
can't be... This shop, even though not done correctly, actually DOES work on cars. He also got his car back, not missing any parts. ;)

details?

sLoWnStEaDy
09-07-2011, 07:37 PM
details?

www.iowaautoforums.com/showthread.php?9817-My-civic-was-stolen-(&highlight=rapid+performance

couple years ago... I thhink there are a couple other threads about it as well.

LT1Dan
09-07-2011, 08:00 PM
How about giving a little credit to the guy that is fixing this shitfest for you?

Josh aka Bowtiebubba, if I'm not mistaken?

Drifte
09-07-2011, 08:03 PM
details?

Rapid stole cars/parts/engines, then sold you that. Or something like that.

Deimos
09-07-2011, 08:28 PM
who ran rapid and who stole stuff? Also tell Joshy boy its been a while

MoncefA33
09-07-2011, 09:10 PM
How about giving a little credit to the guy that is fixing this shitfest for you?

Yes sir. Josh is handling everything well in spite of the VQ being a pain in the ass.

DustinsDuster
09-07-2011, 09:10 PM
a few young douchebags from around here. apparently Krustin got jumped when he went out and confronted them about parts missing off his car.

JustinS
09-07-2011, 09:15 PM
who ran rapid and who stole stuff? Also tell Joshy boy its been a while
A bunch of douchers

matthew franks and marc something or other

FiFdYnUtZ
09-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Marc devore...Travis and Blake too

slo4cyl
09-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I hate hearing stories like this, because things like this is what gives all mechanics a bad rep and people don't trust us. But a shop named random house racing? I think I would be skeptical just from hearing the name.

Domestic Disturbance
09-08-2011, 01:20 AM

Ya, these things are a scary undertaking. I'll stick to single cam for awhile I think