PDA

View Full Version : Possible tranny issue with 95 dodge ram?

Luminatorz34
08-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Ive had this truck for over a year now, and it has done this ever since ive owned it. i had the tranny flushed new filter installed and synthetic fluid put in (not cheap). but the issue still goes on. what it does is, when driving it acts like a normal truck, but when you let off the gas to slow down or whatever, the rpms drop straight down to an idle. where as most vehicles when you let off the gas the rpms stay where they were when your driving. but i dont know why mine drop to idle. also, if you let the truck sit for more than 2 days it will lose line pressure, as in if i start it after 2 days and put it in gear, it wont move for a bit until it gets pressure again and will take off. i prevent this by starting the truck and putting it in neutral for about 30 seconds before i take off and its fine doing it this way. but i would think it shouldnt lose line pressure after 2 days of sitting. ive included a short video of what my truck does when driving and letting off the gas. any help, ideas, or information would be appreciated. id like to get this figured out while its still nice out to where i can fix it....im leaning towards the possibility of the torque converter going out. although it still shifts like normal, and the torque converter still locks up normally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznz54ycwEg

sLoWnStEaDy
08-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Can't say a lot about your personal experience here but I can say when I was lead tech at the AAMCO down on 1st ave, I seen a TON of Dodges! #1 vehicle was probably the Dodge Caravan and #2 was these Dodge trucks. I THINK I recall something like this once and IIRC there is some sort of pressure switch/valve deal that goes bad, something like a $50 part. Take it to AAMCO, they'll check it out for free and let you know what they think.

Luminatorz34
08-21-2011, 01:42 PM
yea i know these dodges have problems. my old 97 ram that i traded in for my camaro was junk too...it blew the tranny out of it, but they said the tq converter blew out and slung the webbing every where and clogged the cooler and plugged it so tight that the tranny cooked itself....but this truck here, runs good and strong, hits every gear right, no slipping or slamming in gears. the only slipping it will do is if it sits a few days, but i prevent that from happening by letting it sit in neutral.....as far as aamco there isnt one near me, for me to take in and have them take a look

sLoWnStEaDy
08-21-2011, 01:55 PM
yea i know these dodges have problems. my old 97 ram that i traded in for my camaro was junk too...it blew the tranny out of it, but they said the tq converter blew out and slung the webbing every where and clogged the cooler and plugged it so tight that the tranny cooked itself....but this truck here, runs good and strong, hits every gear right, no slipping or slamming in gears. the only slipping it will do is if it sits a few days, but i prevent that from happening by letting it sit in neutral.....as far as aamco there isnt one near me, for me to take in and have them take a look

sorry man, I forgot you are out in Greene these days. maybe just give them a call?

Luminatorz34
08-21-2011, 02:02 PM
i will give them a call tomorrow

warchild145
08-21-2011, 03:05 PM
I have a 97 dodge ram 3500 v10 with an auto and have this same issue. I just do the same as you and let it idle for about a minute before off I go. Havent had any problems and until I do, I dont see putting any money into it and I tow some pretty heavy stuff with the truck with no issues.

Luminatorz34
08-21-2011, 03:08 PM
yea ive pulled a few cars/trailer behind with no problem either....but it would be nice to figure out what is going on. as i dont want to fix it when their is snow on the ground when i really will depend on it