PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a new toy! LSx-swapped '86 RX7

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Here she is the day I brought her home.

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zwlq43.jpg
Looks pretty good! No rust, no dents, and freshly painted, although it was an amateur job. No over-spray or runs, but the finish on the paint is a little off. It kinda looks like a refrigerator up close, but it's all 'even'. I actually kinda like it.

Known modifications:
'99 5.3 with about ~70k miles
'98 Firebird PCM
stock ls1 intake, injectors and exhaust manifolds
2 1/4 dual exhaust
Turbo 350 trans (No overdrive... Boo...)
Ford 8.8 IRS rear differential with 3.23 gears and LSD
Turbo II 5-lug hub swap
SVT Cobra wheels

Unknown modifications:
Aftermarket shocks and lowering springs. (stiff as hell!)
Supposedly some aftermarket cam, but I doubt it.

http://i54.tinypic.com/jkimth.jpg
She needs a bit of aesthetic work under the hood...

I haven't had a V-8 since my LT1 ex-cop car. It's great to have one again!

Drifte
08-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Cool car. Bullet proof aside from the trans I'd guess. Strange to already have a nice rear end on it. 4l60e isnt real tough, why do you want it?

Vitoman
08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Thats a real neat car! Love everything about it but the IRS- definately enought power to break it bad!

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Cool car. Bullet proof aside from the trans I'd guess. Strange to already have a nice rear end on it. 4l60e isnt real tough, why do you want it?

Thanks! The th350 is plenty strong, but I want something with an overdrive. The same friend of mine that has HPTuners has a 4L60E that he'd give me for free, then I'd pay him to rebuild it and beef it up a bit for me. I'm also considering installing a trans brake and a nice stall converter.

Thats a real neat car! Love everything about it but the IRS- definately enought power to break it bad!
Thank you! Nah, it'll be fine. There are plenty of guys on 'norotors.com' with the same rear end putting much more power through it. And it's not like I'm slamming through the gears with a manual, either!

Drifte
08-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks! The th350 is plenty strong, but I want something with an overdrive. The same friend of mine that has HPTuners has a 4L60E that he'd give me for free, then I'd pay him to rebuild it and beef it up a bit for me. I'm also considering installing a trans brake and a nice stall converter.
Let me know what he does to beef it up and your stall choice. 4l60e in my truck and I wouldnt mind making it more fun.

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Let me know what he does to beef it up and your stall choice. 4l60e in my truck and I wouldnt mind making it more fun.

Will do! My stall choice will depend on what cam I decide to go with, so It'll be a while before I get it all together. I'll be rocking out my 4.10's with no over-drive until then. I'll have to make a 'build thread' on here some time.

AutoMods
08-10-2011, 10:14 AM
I think I saw that car on craigslist. If its the same car you got a great deal because it was priced cheap. The time and money it takes to build a car like that and the potential it has is hard to beat.

I was telling people about it. That ford rear is nice, you can beef it up easy, at least the custom mounted fabrication part is already done. I'm not sure about the 4l60e though, I would only do it if its very cheap and not labor intensive. That gear you have is good for a turbo. How high are the rpm's on the highway?

AutoMods
08-10-2011, 10:17 AM
btw, I hate my 4.10 rear as do most v8 rx7 guys but I'm speaking for us that have the 6 speed. I'm looking to go to a 3.55. I have the t56 so not sure what it feels like with your auto

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I think I saw that car on craigslist. If its the same car you got a great deal because it was priced cheap. The time and money it takes to build a car like that and the potential it has is hard to beat.

I was telling people about it. That ford rear is nice, you can beef it up easy, at least the custom mounted fabrication part is already done. I'm not sure about the 4l60e though, I would only do it if its very cheap and not labor intensive. That gear you have is good for a turbo. How high are the rpm's on the highway?

Yep! It was on Craig's List and I talked him down on the price too! I'd get the 4l60E trans for free, and my friend works on his friends' cars for parts and beer money (or beer). He's an ASE certified master-tech with GM dealership experience and easily my most knowledgeable friend on the subject of GM automotive repair and upgrades. I'd probably have $600 in it after everything, then I'd have to have the driveshaft shortened a bit too. Still pretty cheap for a new trans in my book! And... HPTuners can adjust the shift points, line pressure, and god knows what else once I get it in there.

Do you hate your 4.10's because 1st gear is too short with your t-56? At 70mph, I'm at 2.5k rpms (if I remember right). I know that once I install the 4.10's, I'll be at around 3.5k rpms at 60-65, but I don't go out of town too much, so it's no biggie for me. I've got a daily driver that can get 35mpg if I drive it nicely.

Drifte
08-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Yep! It was on Craig's List and I talked him down on the price too! I'd get the 4l60E trans for free, and my friend works on his friends' cars for parts and beer money (or beer). He's an ASE certified master-tech with GM dealership experience and easily my most knowledgeable friend on the subject of GM automotive repair and upgrades. I'd probably have $600 in it after everything, then I'd have to have the driveshaft shortened a bit too. Still pretty cheap for a new trans in my book! And... HPTuners can adjust the shift points, line pressure, and god knows what else once I get it in there.

Do you hate your 4.10's because 1st gear is too short with your t-56? At 70mph, I'm at 2.5k rpms (if I remember right). I know that once I install the 4.10's, I'll be at around 3.5k rpms at 60-65, but I don't go out of town too much, so it's no biggie for me. I've got a daily driver that can get 35mpg if I drive it nicely.

I was wonderinf if hp tuners or efi-live could adjust my line pressure/shift points etc. Thats really all I need, no power behind the beast.

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I was wonderinf if hp tuners or efi-live could adjust my line pressure/shift points etc. Thats really all I need, no power behind the beast.

HPTuners can also turn off 'torque management', which is great for guys with automatics.

FiFdYnUtZ
08-10-2011, 11:40 AM
colton, i have hptuners and a ton of credits if you wanna mess with it sometime..

Drifte
08-10-2011, 11:42 AM
colton, i have hptuners and a ton of credits if you wanna mess with it sometime..
Awesome! Except, idk what Im doing. I'll do some reading though!

FiFdYnUtZ
08-10-2011, 11:45 AM
i can look in the tune repository on hptuners website also, you can search vehicle specific and sometimes find badass canned tunes from some reputable shops

AutoMods
08-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Light cars and turbo cars like taller gearing. 1st 2nd are way too quick, 3rd is quick but ok. I have been battling to get through the traps in 4th gear. On street radials 24.5" diameter, I was at 127mph @ 7k . Now on 27" expanding MT bias tires I am at 136@6800 and need more gear again. Sure you can't leave your gearing alone and just add more power?

AutoMods
08-10-2011, 11:48 AM
if you don't mind, what did you pay for the car?

85XR7Project
08-10-2011, 11:56 AM
I've been wanting that car for some time. Glad one of us got it though.

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Light cars and turbo cars like taller gearing. 1st 2nd are way too quick, 3rd is quick but ok. I have been battling to get through the traps in 4th gear. On street radials 24.5" diameter, I was at 127mph @ 7k . Now on 27" expanding MT bias tires I am at 136@6800 and need more gear again. Sure you can't leave your gearing alone and just add more power?

Are you afraid I'd just burn out instead of accelerate due to my car being light? While researching, I found a ton of guys running T2 rear-ends (which have 4.10 gears, I was told) with their turbo set-ups and high-power LS1's, so I assumed that running 4.10's wouldn't be too much of an issue with my auto trans. Maybe I should go with 3.73's?

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 03:50 PM
if you don't mind, what did you pay for the car?

PM'd

AutoMods
08-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Are you afraid I'd just burn out instead of accelerate due to my car being light? While researching, I found a ton of guys running T2 rear-ends (which have 4.10 gears, I was told) with their turbo set-ups and high-power LS1's, so I assumed that running 4.10's wouldn't be too much of an issue with my auto trans. Maybe I should go with 3.73's?

well traction can be an issue but mainly a light car can accelerate faster and easier so you don't need a torque a 4.10 gear gives you. which just makes you have to shift sooner and everytime i shift my turbo has to build boost again. also short gearing like that doesn't create as much load and load is what helps spool turbos. The reason everyone has t2 rears is because that is the strongest rear that an rx7 comes with. there aren't many factory options. There is a 3.90 non-turbo rear end also but its not as strong and the v8's can break them easily.

But I am not familiar with the auto transmission gear ratios so I can't really recommend what you should go with

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I agree 100% with your statements on 'load' and 'gearing' concerning turbos, but I haven't yet decided if I want to boost my 5.3 or build a nice NA setup. I've been considering either boosting my 5.3, or buying an LQ4 6.0L, installing some L92 heads, an LS6 intake and a good cam. I've been told that setup can yield 500+whp very reliably, which would be enough for me! I've got some decisions to make. lol

Grr
08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
IMHO skip the 4.10s and the 4l60 and get a good PTC converter for the 350, if you want to lower the rpm get a 1/2" taller tire. 4l60s and 4.10s are completely worthless in those cars, I did one with the 3.90s and a yank PT4400 stall and it was in 2nd gear within a second and spun everytime you hit the throttle. After that we swapped to 3.25s and a TH350 and it was so much better. Now it has a glide and its even better yet

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 07:09 PM
IMHO skip the 4.10s and the 4l60 and get a good PTC converter for the 350, if you want to lower the rpm get a 1/2" taller tire. 4l60s and 4.10s are completely worthless in those cars, I did one with the 3.90s and a yank PT4400 stall and it was in 2nd gear within a second and spun everytime you hit the throttle. After that we swapped to 3.25s and a TH350 and it was so much better. Now it has a glide and its even better yet

So I'd just spin my tires and go nowhere, eh? Lame. That's two people against the 4.10's! Thanks for the input! Here's a question for ya... What's the best way to raise the shift points in my TH350? I'm shifting well before 4k at WOT. I know I can get an adjustable vacuum modulator, but it won't adjust the WOT shift point enough. Manual valve body?

JustinS
08-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Nice car, still liked your old Supra better.

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Nice car, still liked your old Supra better.

Thanks! The Supra was prettier, but it drove like a damn boat and I was always afraid to park it anywhere. With this one, I don't have to worry!

AutoMods
08-10-2011, 08:00 PM
do you have an aluminum hood or the steel?

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 08:18 PM
do you have an aluminum hood or the steel?

I'm going to have to find a magnet and go check, because I have no idea! It seems light as hell, though. I have a moon roof and the car was a manual from the factory.

*EDIT: It's aluminum! So cool...

tylers88
08-10-2011, 08:49 PM

EFIlive can, that what Justin at Black Bear Performance uses for Chevy truck tunes and people love the tunes he does

Grr
08-10-2011, 08:55 PM
need to adjust governor springs and weights in the trans, its really easy to do. Adjustable modulator only adjusts part throttle shift points

Reiketsukan
08-10-2011, 09:11 PM
need to adjust governor springs and weights in the trans, its really easy to do. Adjustable modulator only adjusts part throttle shift points

Awesome. Time for some research!

AutoMods
08-10-2011, 09:56 PM
let me know if you want to trade hoods. mine is aluminum too but I want to get rid of the hood scoop. lot of people like the look though

Reiketsukan
08-11-2011, 03:28 AM
let me know if you want to trade hoods. mine is aluminum too but I want to get rid of the hood scoop. lot of people like the look though

I should tell you, the paint on mine isn't perfect and a bit of the support skeleton under the hood was cut away to make room for the motor. It's still in fine condition, though. I'll take a pic of it later for you if you're still interested.

Sleeping
08-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Hey ryan I have a hood thats all aluminum but its painted red.

Reiketsukan
08-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Does my car look familiar to anyone? Phish on here said it looked really familiar to him, and that he may have seen it last summer. I'd love to find a 'build thread' on my car. Believe me, I've looked!

AutoMods
08-11-2011, 04:06 PM
did you ask the previous owner for a build thread?

DustinsDuster
08-11-2011, 08:04 PM
why not just get a ratchet shifter and manually shift the trans?

Reiketsukan
08-11-2011, 08:45 PM
did you ask the previous owner for a build thread?

The previous owner didn't build the car, sadly. He bought it from the guy who built it about a year ago and didn't take notes or ask questions. The story was that the builder got a DUI shortly after finishing the car and had to sell it.

why not just get a ratchet shifter and manually shift the trans?

I can manually shift it right now, but there will always be a delay when shifting it like this. If I planned to keep the th350, I'd get a ratchet shifter just like you said, and a manual valve body to fix that little issue. Hell, that really doesn't sound like too bad of an idea, not that you mention it. We'll see what kind of a deal I can get on a 4l60E.

DustinsDuster
08-11-2011, 08:56 PM
just thinking out loud; are you married to the idea of an auto trans? why not go with a T56? 3.73's with a .50:1 overdrive would be killer. personally, i think im gonna eventually swap to 4.56's in my truck to keep it from chugging on the highway in 6th.

Reiketsukan
08-11-2011, 09:03 PM
I'd LOVE to have a T56, but by the time I bought the trans, flywheel, clutch, new driveshaft, clutch pedal, clutch master and slave I'd be into it for well over $2k, wouldn't I?

Drifte
08-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I'd LOVE to have a T56, but by the time I bought the trans, flywheel, clutch, new driveshaft, clutch pedal, clutch master and slave I'd be into it for well over $2k, wouldn't I?

Probably yes, and then the guy with the auto is gonna beat you at the track. Manual valve bodies ftw.

FiFdYnUtZ
08-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Reverse manual valve body would be the Shit...but if your looking for overdrive I have a Performabuilt level 2 4l60e in my car and I love it

Reiketsukan
08-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Probably yes, and then the guy with the auto is gonna beat you at the track. Manual valve bodies ftw.

The more I think about it, the more fun I think it would be. Also, the more I research the 4l60E, the more I see people complaining about breaking them even after beefing them up. Too many variables to make a solid conclusion, though. Some people swear by them.

Reverse manual valve body would be the Shit...but if your looking for overdrive I have a Performabuilt level 2 4l60e in my car and I love it

What kind of power are you putting through your rebuilt 4L60E? I've been researching on LS1-tech and various other sites, and I keep running into these threads full of people hating on the 4L60E. (for what that's worth)

AutoMods
08-12-2011, 09:54 AM
on the plus side, your car is about 600lbs lighter then a camaro so the trans will take you farther . see norotors.com

Reiketsukan
08-12-2011, 10:00 AM
on the plus side, your car is about 600lbs lighter then a camaro so the trans will take you farther . see norotors.com

Very true! norotors.com is a fantastic resource. I've been searching and digging through that site for a while now.

FiFdYnUtZ
08-12-2011, 11:00 AM
The Trans has been 11.22..hoping to crack off some ten Sec passes Sunday now that I have made some adjustments since my last track visit

Guch
08-12-2011, 12:23 PM
What kind of power are you putting through your rebuilt 4L60E? I've been researching on LS1-tech and various other sites, and I keep running into these threads full of people hating on the 4L60E. (for what that's worth)

4l60E Has some benefits over the 700R4 I run, but similar platform. Running high 9's or slower wouldn't think twice about running a Finishline Transmission 4L60E (9.3x in my 700R4).

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/index.htm

FiFdYnUtZ
08-12-2011, 12:24 PM
^also an excellent transmission company