PDA

View Full Version : spammers

AutoMods
08-06-2011, 08:46 AM
I'll be monitoring spammers and perhaps changing the registration process a bit to make it harder for spammers to register.

I changed from question/answer verification to CAPTCHA and CAPTCHA is perhaps even worse.

Anyway, moderators you can ban users by clicking 'Mod' at the very very bottom right of the page and then go into the ban section.

Another way to enter the mod screen is to click a username on any post and then 'View Profile' and then click the edit icon which looks like a pencil. Although right now mods don't have permission to change the profile (I think I add that soon) but the ban section is there.

JustinS
08-06-2011, 08:56 AM
If captcha doesn't work, try using a moderator approval process or time limit before new posts are allowed for all newly registered members.

Deimos
08-06-2011, 02:16 PM
man that is bad

AutoMods
08-06-2011, 08:01 PM
ok, so the captcha was a fail.

I changed the registration question to "What is the name of the U of I mascot" . Herky . I think that will be hard for spammers but easy for Iowans. What do you guys think?

85XR7Project
08-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Seems good enough. I guess only time will tell.

DustinsDuster
08-07-2011, 10:43 AM
i think almost anyone registering would be able to figure out Herky; and if for some reason they cant, i'm sure a 20 second google search will get it done for them.

slo4cyl
08-15-2011, 08:39 AM
i think almost anyone registering would be able to figure out Herky; and if for some reason they cant, i'm sure a 20 second google search will get it done for them.

I was thinking the same thing...

AutoMods
08-15-2011, 08:59 AM
We've had no spammers since I changed the question to that