PDA

View Full Version : who's done a custom rearend swap?

sLoWnStEaDy
07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I have a nice, 8.8" posi, disc brake rearend I want to toss in the Monte Carlo. This is something i have never done so I don't know if the fear of never doing it has me over thinking it or if it is actually going to be as difficult as I am anticipating.

I have the brackets needed, I have the 8.8" obviously and I have the stock rearend I am yanking out of the car. I figure it is "as simple" as getting really good measurements (from the center of course as the 8.8" is 1" wider than the stock 7.5") and making sure the angles and such all match up to stock. I was hoping someone would have a decent amount of experience, some free time and free shop space. I was hoping I could pay a forum member to do it and let me hang around so I can maybe learn from it. I've done this in a leaf spring rear but the was simple as hell, I think this will be a little worse.

My other concern is I have a Lincoln 175 welder and the 8.8 has a cast center section, but the tubes/brackets are steel and I don't think my welder will get it done. Not sure exactly how much you'd want, I called a few shops and was quoted $200-$500, if you have the tools/skill and will let me hang around and watch, let me know.

Domestic Disturbance
07-21-2011, 06:04 PM
I think you may spend less on a 12 bolt for a g body. If you get it done though, take some pics

Deimos
07-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Go talk to RUNDE nuff said they know their diffs

AutoMods
07-21-2011, 06:56 PM
my advice would be to go and break the rear end that you have in there now. that would prove you are making enough power to deserve to swap the rear out. sometimes you want to do supporting mods first when it can save you money. in this case i doubt the stock rear is worth any money so spend your time and efforts on making power first and deal with the rear if and when it breaks.

there are plenty of rx7's out there that have spent $2k on nice ford rear end setups and their cars are still high 11, 12 second cars. I spent my money on power and my car runs mid 10's and my stock rear is fine.

Deimos
07-21-2011, 07:16 PM
I remember hearing of dudes running in the 10's on 10 bolts.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-21-2011, 08:41 PM
the stock rear has a couple issues and i was planning to change out the shocks and springs so i figure at that point, good time to do a swap. The 8.8" is $100, brackets i need are $100, only thing left would be getting the bolt pattern changed. So, if i could do it myself (and i might try) i could theoretically get the swap done for less then $300.
I am still in good with All State Steel/Cedar Valley Steel from when i was a fabricator there so i could probably get the upper arm mounts welded to the center section for free if i tackle it myself. Main thing I am working on is the body work right now but i am also picking up an LM7 here soon in case i get bored when i finish the fiero this weekend.

Domestic Disturbance
07-21-2011, 09:23 PM
my advice would be to go and break the rear end that you have in there now. that would prove you are making enough power to deserve to swap the rear out. sometimes you want to do supporting mods first when it can save you money. in this case i doubt the stock rear is worth any money so spend your time and efforts on making power first and deal with the rear if and when it breaks.

there are plenty of rx7's out there that have spent $2k on nice ford rear end setups and their cars are still high 11, 12 second cars. I spent my money on power and my car runs mid 10's and my stock rear is fine.

Are you saying its silly to buy a built rear before making power? You sir don't know the fear of a 10 bolt

sLoWnStEaDy
07-21-2011, 09:29 PM
all i know is the rear springs/shocks need attention and when i take corners hard the right rear feels like the rim is loose/wobbly. The rim is NOT loose though, so dont ask, lol i torqued all four wheels as soon as i got it home just to eliminate that.

Also, LM7 is an LS based engine so, you all can kiss my ass. ;)

AutoMods
07-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Are you saying its silly to buy a built rear before making power? You sir don't know the fear of a 10 bolt

kitch did you break a 10 bolt or did fear get the best of you :) my recommendation was more for specifically Kieth because he goes through a lot of cars and often changes his mind and his car is not making the power yet.

your car is making more power, manual trans and was your main long term car and you like to beat on it so I can see the early upgrade.

Kieth my recommendation does not apply to you anymore if you think your rear is already on the outs.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-21-2011, 10:39 PM
kitch did you break a 10 bolt or did fear get the best of you :) my recommendation was more for specifically Kieth because he goes through a lot of cars and often changes his mind and his car is not making the power yet.

your car is making more power, manual trans and was your main long term car and you like to beat on it so I can see the early upgrade.

Kieth my recommendation does not apply to you anymore if you think your rear is already on the outs.

yeah, something is def up with it. Car just has a 350, headers, exhaust, edelbrock carb and i think a cam. Probably not making shit for powerand i feel like it might break something in the rear at any minute. I hate dog leg rears too, they just suck...

Domestic Disturbance
07-21-2011, 11:13 PM
I was just pokin fun but I definitely see you're point of view. I still think with a vehicle as plentiful as that you can get the bigger 10 bolt fairly easy I would imagine.

sparkles
07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I remember hearing of dudes running in the 10's on 10 bolts.

I would be one of them.

AutoMods
07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
I would be one of them.

video or it didn't happen

sparkles
07-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I don't even think I owned a computer back then let alone a camcorder.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I don't even think I owned a computer back then let alone a camcorder.

Nope... if you don't have video proof of it posted on this website than it never happened and you are a liar. :)

sparkles
07-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Damn. Guess I'm a liar then. I'm out.
http://se7enmotorsports.com/main.php/d/9579-3/062308burnout+070.jpg
http://se7enmotorsports.com/main.php/d/9582-3/062308burnout+071.jpg
Burnout Competition at Hooters.

Deimos
07-22-2011, 07:18 PM
I did better than that in my hippy van sparkles

sparkles
07-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Pictures or video or it didn't happen.

Deimos
07-22-2011, 07:25 PM
lol damn it, does all the young kids in marengo's testimony count? When you gonna text me some pics of progress man?

Deimos
07-22-2011, 07:26 PM
OOPS I meant to say--- Since you don't believe me GET A LANE! I AM BREAKING NECKS AND CASHING CHECKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sparkles
07-22-2011, 07:30 PM
oops i meant to say--- since you don't believe me get a lane! I am breaking necks and cashing checks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmfao!!!!!!!

AutoMods
07-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Damn. Guess I'm a liar then. I'm out.
http://se7enmotorsports.com/main.php/d/9579-3/062308burnout+070.jpg

by the looks of that burnout, i'd say your a good 700whp and mid 10's. adding you to the top 30 thread right now

sparkles
07-22-2011, 07:46 PM
5 years and 3 F bodys ago. Don't worry. I'll please all you haters and make an appearance sometime this year at the track. Although, not the type of track I built this particular car for.

Deimos
07-22-2011, 07:47 PM
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/deimos140/IMG_0265.jpg I will blow you away

sparkles
07-22-2011, 07:54 PM
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/deimos140/IMG_0265.jpg I will blow you away

I owned a Ford Focus once...it was pretty cool.

Deimos
07-22-2011, 07:57 PM
5 solenoids is alot of nitrous. First run didn't go so hot. SMASH!

AutoMods
07-22-2011, 08:24 PM
5 years and 3 F bodys ago. Don't worry. I'll please all you haters and make an appearance sometime this year at the track. Although, not the type of track I built this particular car for.

not hating just would like to read about your project or see video or pictures , something interesting. no project thread on here or dragsource??

and whats with posting pictures with absolutely no description. I am suppose to be a mind reader? and not with you ben but in general just seems like there either people are too lazy to type or there is a lot of secrets going on

Deimos
07-22-2011, 08:34 PM
and everyone knows secrets don't make friends sparkles

sparkles
07-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Get on DS. Like I told Nutsy, I've not hidden anything about my current setup. Hell, I even put prices on all the shit I bought. As far as the car I'm referring to, that era of my life (the one with a crazy fucking nutjob of an ex and the heyday my "car fame" around here) was quite a while ago. Before I owned a laptop, computer, or a camera that wasn't on my phone. Sorry. 2006-2007. I wasn't even on sites like this. I think I joined DS in 08. Technology illiterate. Hell, look at my car. That should say something. I'm luck the bastard doesn't have a carb.

Deimos
07-22-2011, 09:38 PM
so in essence Keith use Runde they will hook ya up

sLoWnStEaDy
07-22-2011, 09:44 PM
so in essence Keith use Runde they will hook ya up

I'll give them a call, we all know I will probably go with the cheapest though. LOL

Deimos
07-22-2011, 09:49 PM
dude really think if you had the metal they could weld all your brackets on for ya and they rock at diffs too

sLoWnStEaDy
07-23-2011, 09:24 AM
dude really think if you had the metal they could weld all your brackets on for ya and they rock at diffs too

can't seem to find any info for them...

FiFdYnUtZ
07-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Lmao he asks about a quarter mile video and you show a pic of the aftermath of a burnout? PROOF!

Domestic Disturbance
07-23-2011, 01:20 PM
locked by accident?

Deimos
07-23-2011, 05:12 PM
its less than a halfmile a way from H and W in between dustins and h and w just after the tracks coming from 33rd

sLoWnStEaDy
07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
its less than a halfmile a way from H and W in between dustins and h and w just after the tracks coming from 33rd

I know what you are talking about now, I know it as DJ Machine or something like that. My dad was fairly good friends with the older guy down their that died a couple years back. I am pretty sure his son is still down there, at least, last time I was there he was. They actually helped me out with some stuff on the fiero when I built that originally.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for reminding me about that place!! they said probably $80-$100, can't complain about that! 8.8", posi, 31 spline rearend and bolt pattern redrill for about $300, not too shabby!!

Scott
07-29-2011, 08:28 AM
lol damn it, does all the young kids in marengo's testimony count? When you gonna text me some pics of progress man?

Holy shit I think I just had some sort of flashback!! I think i was there, whoa

Scott
07-29-2011, 08:29 AM
hippie van burnout

White04GTP
08-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Just break the shit more if its already broken

sLoWnStEaDy
08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
i did some donuts and brake stands. I guess i am not 100% sure how a posi works. When i hammer it from a stop, it will leave a single mark forever, when i do a brake stand, both tires roll and smoke like biatch...? I feel pretty dumb right now but this isn't really something i have a lot of experience with.

Batwood
08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
"How is a rainbow made? Why is the sky blue? How does the posi-track on a Plymouth work? ...It just does!"

DustinsDuster
08-01-2011, 04:53 PM
"How is a rainbow made? Why is the sky blue? How does the posi-track on a Plymouth work? ...It just does!"

posi track doesnt work on a Plymouth. Sure-Grip does. i cant even imagine the kind of adapter kit you'd need to make a GM differential work in a Chrysler rear end....

Batwood
08-01-2011, 04:56 PM
posi track doesnt work on a Plymouth. Sure-Grip does. i cant even imagine the kind of adapter kit you'd need to make a GM differential work in a Chrysler rear end....

Tell that to Joe Dirt's dad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCM1seqnAuY

Drifte
08-01-2011, 08:47 PM

oh man, the hippy van days!

DustinsDuster
08-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Tell that to Joe Dirt's dad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCM1seqnAuY

i knew the quote- i said the exact same thing when i first saw the movie. Earl from Tremors < me on Mopar knowledge...

White04GTP
08-05-2011, 09:36 AM
i did some donuts and brake stands. I guess i am not 100% sure how a posi works. When i hammer it from a stop, it will leave a single mark forever, when i do a brake stand, both tires roll and smoke like biatch...? I feel pretty dumb right now but this isn't really something i have a lot of experience with.

Had a friend with a similar deal on his 96 T-bird.. Had a new out of the crate 4.6 sohc with 3k on it when he bought it. brake stand would smoke both a solid romp would smoke both even powerlides. but on the rare occasion it would only spin one.... Fuckin Limited Slip...

85XR7Project
08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I swear I had read that differentials that are supposed to be a Posi do require a rebuild over time. Idk, maybe I'm wrong, I seem to be from time to time.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I swear I had read that differentials that are supposed to be a Posi do require a rebuild over time. Idk, maybe I'm wrong, I seem to be from time to time.

I know that is true... Had to rebuild the one in my SuperCoupe a couple years back. I thought that was just a weird ford thing though, with the clutch discs and what not in there...

Deimos
08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
friction modifier is your friend...