PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Building Permit

Fire Hawk
07-17-2011, 11:25 AM
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me get a building permit so I can update the electrical panel in the house/garage? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

OldSkoolRCR
07-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Or U could pay me to do the whole job, and I will pull the permit.

sparkles
07-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Not many of us are willing to just pull permits for people. It's a good way to get in trouble with our licensing.

OldSkoolRCR
07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Not many of us are willing to just pull permits for people. It's a good way to get in trouble with out licensing.

Exactly!

Fire Hawk
07-17-2011, 03:55 PM
So how much roughly is it go from old screw in fuses to a breaker panel? What would happen if it was done without a building permit?

Deimos
07-17-2011, 03:58 PM
if you get caught big fine permits don't cost that much man

Fire Hawk
07-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Only reason why I ask is I have a friend who says the job can be done in a reasonable time and not charge me for the work other than say some good dinner. The fines are the main reason why I'm asking as I'd rather do it right.... He doesn't have his masters license to pull permits due to not wanting to go down that route. He's happy working where he is does.

sparkles
07-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Don't know about the CR area, but permit fees down this way aren't no joke. If you have to replace your service, code requires you update the rest of the dwelling accordingly. Grounding 3 prong outlets or installing 2 prong type. GFI's in the kitchen. Dedicated circuits. Etc ETC. If you're just needing your panel swapped out, and the rest of the service is rated for it, just have your buddy do it. If the entire service is needing replaced (meter socket, panel, conduit, mast, etc)...good luck. Is it an overhead service or does power come in from underground?

sparkles
07-17-2011, 04:40 PM
That's the thing that sucks about swapping out panels. Yeah, you just want to update a panel, but you wind up having to spend a lot more to update everything else. Catch 22 and BS on the state's end imo. The cost to do it "legally" can sometimes scare people away from doing it in the end. Having a new panel and the existing wiring is at least safer than having a box in your wall humming and smelling all burned up.

Fire Hawk
07-17-2011, 04:46 PM
It's an overhead service that comes in. 200w panel for the house, 2/0 wire from the weather head in, conduit, mast, meter socket. Was figuring about 3-4 hours to change everything as it's all easy to get too. I did find that CR does allow homeowners to do their own electrical after a standard examination and getting the permit.

OldSkoolRCR
07-17-2011, 05:20 PM
If you want as bid on the job PM me. I will give you a good price.

sparkles
07-17-2011, 05:30 PM
So you're saying you already have a 200A Socket, wire, etc?

boxmakingman
07-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Another option is go take the homeowners electrical test. This would allow you to pull your own permit and do your own work.

Fire Hawk
07-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Another option is go take the homeowners electrical test. This would allow you to pull your own permit and do your own work.
I'm going to call and find out what all I can and can't do with that. I'm wanting to do things the right way since I know how to do most of it, along with my friend who has done these types of jobs.

So you're saying you already have a 200A Socket, wire, etc?
I have everything needed at this point to make the upgrade. Just a matter of making the change and being able to document it for resale purposes down the road.

sparkles
07-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Meaning it's installed on the house already? Just needs a panel swapped? Orrrrrr...you have the parts?

Fire Hawk
07-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Meaning it's installed on the house already? Just needs a panel swapped? Orrrrrr...you have the parts?

I have all the parts to do the panel swap, meter, weather head, etc

sparkles
07-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Yeah, if you wanna stay on the safe side then, better get the permit pulled. I'd give Ed a call. Doing that "test" is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Fire Hawk
07-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah, if you wanna stay on the safe side then, better get the permit pulled. I'd give Ed a call. Doing that "test" is probably more trouble than it's worth.

I called and asked about the test and they stated it should only take about 30 minutes or so. The bigger problem is being able to get the electric company and inspector setup to get it all done in the same day since they don't inspect on the weekends.... Going to do some more research to see what can be done.

sparkles
07-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Still gonna need your power company to make the final connections though which is going to require a permit. They inspect on weekends up there?

Fire Hawk
07-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Still gonna need your power company to make the final connections though which is going to require a permit. They inspect on weekends up there?

They don't inspect on the weekends from what I was told. I really don't want to take time off from work to do it during the week just to meet their schedule...