PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in town re-do speedometers?

Caleb
07-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm starting to hate how my speedo only goes to 85mph and anything after that I have no idea how fast I'm going. Took my car out on some empty back paved roads for a couple of quick top speed run's and had my car at 5500rpm out of roughly 6700 rpm in 3rd on the old TH350. Checked out some speed calculators and it came up with 149 top of 3rd, but meh, its not real world.

So anyone in town re-do these?

sLoWnStEaDy
07-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Curious, why not just get an aftermarket one? I went from an 85MPH (stock for the 2.5L) to a 120MPH (stock for the 2.8L) to the 190MPH I have in my Fiero now. They are ferarri replica gauges and I don't think it was cheap. The faces obviously don't cost crap but the "crystal" to recalibrate it is what they said cost the money.

Just saying, you could pick up an aftermarket unit cheaper most likely...

EDIT: Just realized you are working with a mechanical speedometer... Don't think there is much you can do there except get the face you want and then start swapping speedo gears until you get close. Maybe get the face you want, see what percentage the speedo is off by and go here: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm

Deimos
07-02-2011, 01:11 AM
go have a perspn ride with you and swap out the gears for the sender.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-02-2011, 02:01 AM
go have a perspn ride with you and swap out the gears for the sender.

uhm...?

Deimos
07-02-2011, 06:14 AM
lol it was early I thought it was reading wrong. If you can't find someone just get an aftermarket one.

Caleb
07-02-2011, 08:12 AM
I read that I should pull a 140 speedo out of a 86-89 camaro z28 because they are still mechanical and install and have it re-calibrated so to speak. Maybe I'll wait till my friend gets one rolling through again and get one.

AutoMods
07-02-2011, 08:56 AM
gps for the occasional use. they even have gps speedometers like in boats. constant speed is accurate, not sure about hard acceleration

Caleb
07-02-2011, 03:27 PM
gps for the occasional use. they even have gps speedometers like in boats. constant speed is accurate, not sure about hard acceleration

I've thought about that, but again, just like what you said, constant speed. But you never know how accurate the tracking is unless you try.