PDA

View Full Version : My new ride: 2012 Honda Civic EX-L with Navi

ZacFields
06-09-2011, 09:28 PM
My first brand new car and my first Civic... and arguably my first import (Eagle Talons only halfway count I think).

Picked up this '12 Civic on Tuesday. I was originally partial to paying the extra money for the navigation system, but now I'm glad I have it. It integrates with a lot of features the car has (bluetooth for the phone, radio, etc) so it's really more than just that. Plus, the screen is about twice the size of a typical GPS system (and several times the size of the screen on my phone that I use for GPS sometimes) and it's always there if you need it on the fly.

Averaging 33mpg since I picked it up on Tuesday... looks like it will get about 40 on the highway at the rate it's going.

Not sure what else to say - I really enjoy the car. I'm still breaking it in so I haven't gotten on it too much, but I can tell it has a little more zip to it than previous cars I've owned. If you've got any questions, let me know I guess.

c_mart_28
06-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Man that nav screen seems huuge!

Nice pick up.

85XR7Project
06-09-2011, 11:15 PM
I see they redesigned the dash again, looks much better than the last version. That nav is pretty huge. Automatic, I assume?

TbTalon94
06-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Dash is pretty cool. Congrats Zac! Bout time you got a new car lol

JustinS
06-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Looks pretty nice Zac!

Drifte
06-10-2011, 07:52 AM
I have a question, what camera were you using?

Ricky
06-10-2011, 08:28 AM
take the dealer plate covers and sticker off the back! that is one of my biggest pet peevs! If they arent paying you then dont give then free advertizing.

Drifte
06-10-2011, 08:42 AM
take the dealer plate covers and sticker off the back! that is one of my biggest pet peevs! If they arent paying you then dont give then free advertizing.

Same here, I take those off immediately. Stickers, plates, plate frames. Frames are illegal anyway.

ZacFields
06-10-2011, 09:22 AM
^ Good call guys. I didn't even notice they were on there.

Colton - the camera is a Sony.... I forget the exact model (I'll look at it when I get home... I think it's a 10.1 megapixel Cybershot). It's an "advanced point and shoot." Didn't want to learn how to use a DSLR yet so this is just a level below that. Takes awesome pictures IMO, but some lighting is better than others with this camera. These photos were taken in the evening and that seems to agree with the camera pretty well.

The car is an automatic. They are 1.8 liter "I-Vtec" engines... I don't know if VTEC means the same thing now as it did before. I've been researching it but can't find any good sources. I know the SI model has a 2.2 liter I-Vtec and it makes about 60 more horsepower than this car does. I don't know yet if the engines are fundamentally much different other than the displacement, but I do know the SI has an I-Vtec light on it that shows when the cams change from low to high... I'm still learning about this engine. If anyone knows any more about it than I do, point me in the direction of a good source to read up on them. The owner's manual unfortunately does not have much detail on it. I will say, unlike previous Hondas I've seen, there's not a single VTEC badge on this car, nor is there one on the engine. That's what leads me to believe that it's not equivalent to the VTEC on older models... but I could be wrong on that.

The car is 140 horsepower, which is significantly more than the 100hp my cavalier was throwing down. It's not crazy power by any means, but it has significantly more "get up and go" than previous cars I owned. The acceleration feels almost identical to the Eagle Talon Ashley owned a few years ago... maybe a little stronger actually but I'm still breaking the car in so I haven't done much on that front.

ZacFields
06-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Man that nav screen seems huuge!

Nice pick up.

lol - there is definitely no issue with seeing this thing. Not only is it huge, but it's a lot closer to you than the GPS units that hang off the windshield. Whats more is that when it is ready for you to turn, the little screen next to my speedometer actually has a big turn indicator on that too.

It also doesn't do the annoying "recalculating" statement every time it has to recalculate. It just recalculates and gives you new directions without making a fuss.

AutoMods
06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
sweetness

clutchmuch
06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Only way i would get a gps, is if i could download morgan freemans voice as the guide, so it would be like he's narrating my travels.
The interior on those are nice man, i like how the revs are right in front and the speedo up top. Purrdy fancy. When did they change to the bubble butt?

85XR7Project
06-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Morgan freeman would be pure win, that or Quagmire. Giggidy giggidy Goo!

ZacFields
06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
I believe the 2012 Civic is a redesign so I believe the "bubble butt" started this year. lol I'm not 100% sure on that one though. It's possible the 8th gens had it too.

sparkles
06-30-2011, 02:13 PM
So you've had this a while. What is your likes and dislikes? How much did you wind up giving for it and did you get any special offers? My wife and I are going to look at one tonight.

tylers88
07-01-2011, 08:55 PM

I bought my truck from the dealership I work at and the sticker came off before I even got my plates

ZacFields
07-01-2011, 10:17 PM
So you've had this a while. What is your likes and dislikes? How much did you wind up giving for it and did you get any special offers? My wife and I are going to look at one tonight.

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday. Honestly I really don't have anything that I just don't like about the car. It's not a fast car obviously, but you know that before you buy it. It handles great, it's zippier than most econo cars, and the overall ride quality is excellent.

The Eco button is pretty nifty too. When you've got the Eco button pressed and you're using cruise control on the interstate, it will allow you to slow down a couple miles per hour when you're going uphill and it catches you back up once you even out (if you don't like this, you can turn off Eco mode and it'll stop). Mine has 4-wheel disc brakes, which is a huge plus as well... braking feels way different than other cars I've owned.

The oil viscosity gauge is nice... reminds you when to change the oil based on the true life of the oil.

I think you'll like the car. If you're deciding between a Focus, Cruze, or a Civic... the Civic was hands-down the best of the ones I drove. I didn't drive a Mazda 3 or some of the other competitors, but it was because I loved the Civic so much. Even nearly a month later, I'm still loving the Civic and don't regret the purchase at all.

DustinsDuster
07-05-2011, 04:03 AM
Morgan freeman would be pure win, that or Quagmire. Giggidy giggidy Goo!

Christopher Walken. /end thread.

Drifte
07-05-2011, 01:10 PM
haha christopher walken is the man. Pool Hall Junkies always comes to mind.