PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum! MkIII Supra owner

Reiketsukan
06-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Hello, everyone! I found this forum on accident while searching for something locally. Currently, I've got a '91 Toyota Supra Turbo.

http://i55.tinypic.com/23ur7k0.jpg

I've had it for a couple years now, and it's a blast. Here's a link to my progress thread on Supramania for the full story and a ton of pics!

http://tiny.cc/dzxra

I started turning wrenches at my uncle's shop, Laverty Performance in Carlise, where I gained a good amount of experience with old-school small block and big block Chevy's. On occasion, we'd get a Ford, Oldsmobile, or Mopar in, but not too often. Despite my initially 'domestic' education, I somehow got into Honda's and played around with those fore a few years. Once I got bored of FWD, I ended up selling my GSR-swapped Civic hatchback to get my Supra, and I'm glad I did!

Recently though, I've been getting the 'itch' to get back into domestics. I've been researching popular swaps for new-school SBC's, and found that the 2nd-gen RX-7 has a ton of support for LS-series swaps. I'm currently keeping my eyes open for a clean RX-7 shell, and any info on the swap.

85XR7Project
06-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Welcome! My fave body style Supra! We already have three v8 rx7s on here so figuring it out should be easy. I vote you LSx your Supra though!

JustinS
06-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Good lookin' car man, always been a fan of the MKIII Supras.

Domestic Disturbance
06-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Welcome! My fave body style Supra! We already have three v8 rx7s on here so figuring it out should be easy. I vote you LSx your Supra though!

Yup and each has a different engine in it. Love mkiii's though, and the cobra wheels.

AutoMods
06-06-2011, 07:58 AM
glad you found us! car is clean. ever get a dyno number or timeslip on it?

sLoWnStEaDy
06-06-2011, 10:24 AM
WELCOME!!! screw the FC... Turbo LSx swap the Soup!!

EDIT: Sorry guys, almost let you down there huh? I meant to say "Screw the LSx bandwagon, go 2JZ or something, damn cookie cutter LSx swaps..."

Reiketsukan
06-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Ever get a dyno number or timeslip on it?

I did, but it was with a blown head gasket. Check out the link to my build thread for the full story!

WELCOME!!! screw the FC... Turbo LSx swap the Soup!!
EDIT: Sorry guys, almost let you down there huh? I meant to say "Screw the LSx bandwagon, go 2JZ or something, damn cookie cutter LSx swaps..."

From what I see on my supra forums, everybody goes 2J! lol I was interested in the FC swap because it's tiny and light. MUCH lighter than my supra!

sLoWnStEaDy
06-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I just sold my SBF V8 swapped FC last month to a forum member (clutchmuch). pretty basic 5.0HO converted to carb with a big shot of nitrous.

I have always loved those MKIII's, I almost bought one a few months back off of dragsource.net (Des Moines based forum) but ended up getting a Conquest instead.

AutoMods
06-06-2011, 12:46 PM
where is clutchmuch been at lately?

sLoWnStEaDy
06-06-2011, 12:59 PM
where is clutchmuch been at lately?

IDK, not giving me the last of the money he owes me... Spent like $1k on the car since he got it and still owes me a whopping $50. LOL

black88gt
06-06-2011, 01:01 PM
1j is much easier than a 2j being they actually came in the car from the factory, 1j's are a great engine as well

sparkles
06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Turbo diesel swap. TDI beeches.

Reiketsukan
06-06-2011, 01:43 PM
1j is much easier than a 2j being they actually came in the car from the factory, 1j's are a great engine as well

You're right, 1J's are a blast! A friend of mine has one in his MkIII and loves it. Another good friend has a 2JZ-GTE in his MkIII and it's unreal. But, in my research over the past couple years, I've found that the difficulty of swapping in JZ-series motors is damn-near the same regardless of it being 1J or 2J. All you need is the appropriate motor mounts. The car you're referring to (MkIII w/1J from the factory) is extraordinarily rare, and the 1J only came to the US in those cars. (aside from motors imported form Japan for swaps) This makes sourcing 1JZ parts difficult in comparison to the 2JZ, which came in all Supras 93+, the SC300, IS300, etc. The NA 2JZ-GE can be found at junk yards for about $250 and can be easily turbo'd by buying the appropriate parts (turbo, manifold, etc) and lowering the compression with either a thicker head gasket, or or stock 2JZ-GTE pistons. This is a much better deal compared to buying a 2JZ-GTE swap considering the facts that most people ditch their stock twin turbo setup for a big single anyway, and the engine blocks are identical with the exception of stuff like oil squirters vs no oil squirters, and CPS vs Distributor. Also the difference in flow between GE and GTE heads is almost negligible for most people's goals.

All that being said, I still miss the nimbleness of my Civic every time I slow down to take a turn in my Supra, which is why I was looking into an RX-7 swap. I admit I haven't looked yet, but is there a section of this website devoted to 'Build Threads'? I usually find a ton of great info in those.

Turbo diesel swap. TDI beeches.

NOW we're talking!! I'd love to put one of those into a Rat Rod.... yet another project I need to do before I die!

DustinsDuster
06-06-2011, 02:18 PM
i was gonna say, i think clutchmuch still has his over RX7 roller. i thought i remember him saying it was a decently clean chassis, but it'd be better for him to answer instead of me.

welcome to the site; glad you found us.

sLoWnStEaDy
06-06-2011, 03:15 PM
clutchmuch's roller was pretty rough in the floors/rails. Doesn't matter much though because someone else bought it for parts like a month ago...

Reiketsukan
06-06-2011, 03:28 PM
clutchmuch's roller was pretty rough in the floors/rails. Doesn't matter much though because someone else bought it for parts like a month ago...
No worries. I've got plenty of time to find a good roller to start with.

Sleeping
06-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Yup bought it while back still have it if some ones wants buy a shell. The underneath is rough but is fixable.

Reiketsukan
06-06-2011, 06:01 PM
What's included with it? I suppose I should ask, what's missing?

Sleeping
06-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Well I took all the interior out for my car but put the blue interior back in the car just not installed but there. No motor or trans otherwise its a roller.

Reiketsukan
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Could I trouble you for a few pics? I may be interested in it.

sLoWnStEaDy
06-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Could I trouble you for a few pics? I may be interested in it.

here is the original FS ad... http://iowaautoforums.com/showthread.php?13299-RX7-Roller

Reiketsukan
06-06-2011, 08:14 PM
So all that's different is the interior is now blue and uninstalled? Have you considered what you'd want out of it? Where is the car located?

clutchmuch
06-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Sleepin was the one who bought it?! i had no idea. Im still here! The floors pans arnt rusted through, some under body surface rust, and someone bent the frame rails like no other from the looks of it, by jackin on them lol.

Reiketsukan
06-07-2011, 06:19 AM
That doesn't scare me too much so long as the car still drives straight! lol

tmikula92
06-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Im envious of your car, been looking for a clean MKIII for awhile now. Very nice man! Welcome to the forums

Reiketsukan
06-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks! They're really hard to find, especially around here. Damned Iowa winters...

tmikula92
06-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah my roommate has a 85 Supra with a 5mgte that he is turboing with a 7mgte turbo, should be a fast car as well

Reiketsukan
06-07-2011, 11:17 AM
A good friend of mine has a 7M in his MkII and I love that car. He's let me drive it a couple of times and it's entirely too much fun!

biohazard
06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I miss my 87 MK3 sometimes. I was kinda sad to hear it was crushed in Des Moines but the 7m-GTE still lives in a MK2 somewhere in Des Moines. Apparently it did have CP pistons and maybe a stage 2 cam.

Reiketsukan
06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
IT DID!!! I've seen that motor torn down! It's in my buddies MkII now. lol small world!