PDA

View Full Version : Floor Pan Replacement...

sLoWnStEaDy
05-19-2011, 11:04 AM
OK, the time is finely nearing that I am going to do the floors in my Mach One. I have been doing a lot of research and watching a lot of videos and reading a lot of write-ups and such. I know the "best looking" way to do it is a butt weld but, honestly, I am not comfortable doing it that way.

I was thinking of a just doing a simple lap joint. Overlapping the panels like 1/4" or so and welding both sides. Then I would grind the welds on the bottom side smooth and then undercoat the bottom side of course. I will be using some liquid/spray sound deadener on the whole interior as well. Anyone think that area in between the welds would cause an issue?

Honestly, I am mostly worried about the butt-joint more than anything. I know I would somehow end up with a 1/4" gap or something somewhere and I don't want to be filling gaps between the original floor and the new floor pans. Therefore, overlapping it like 1/4" would eliminate that worry.

sLoWnStEaDy
05-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Just to make it clear as I am not 100% sure I am using the right terms, I drew a little something primitive to illustrate my point. The black is the original floor remains, the gray is the new floor pan and the red is the welds...

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3828/floorpan.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/floorpan.png/)

sparkles
05-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Post some pictures up of what you're working with. We're getting ready to do the pans in my buddies '67 half back. Must be a trend with Mustang pans.

sLoWnStEaDy
05-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Post some pictures up of what you're working with. We're getting ready to do the pans in my buddies '67 half back. Must be a trend with Mustang pans.

I will get pics up when I actually get started, LOL... It doesn't really even NEED pans, a couple small patches would more than do the trick but I don't want it to look like a hack/patch job. Probably 4-6 golf ball sized spots in total between the floors and trunk pan. Only cost like $300 or so for the floor pans and the trunk pan so I figured I might as well do it once and do it right..

Deimos
05-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I helped my one bud do it in his 67 mustang. They actually making a neat tool that can cut and one that puts a bevel on the edge of metal that makes it so you can have a lip that holds it while you weld it.

DustinsDuster
05-22-2011, 08:57 PM
might not look as nice, but i recommend saving as much of the original floor pan as possible. less worry about the car contorting when you cut a structural piece out of it- and it'll probably end up looking kinda hacked even if you do the whole pan as well. i did the same kind of job in my duster when i was 18- i got lucky, and the car didnt seem to drive crooked or anything after. i would just cut the patches out of the new patch panels, and patch where you need.

if you're still hell bent on replacing the pans, i recommend putting the car up on stands, and making sure its completely level front to back and side to side. shim the jackstands as need to get this. also i'd only do one pan at a time to maintain as much structure as possible while you're doing the job.

85XR7Project
06-15-2011, 10:31 AM
These guys are funny shit.

LT1Dan
06-15-2011, 10:37 AM
They really like SlownSteady. lol

AutoMods
06-15-2011, 11:10 AM

thats funny shit

sLoWnStEaDy
06-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Did i miss something?

LT1Dan
06-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Did i miss something?

I just thought it was funny that they hit two of your threads. Wasn't taking a shot at you or anything.

JustinS
06-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Wasn't taking a shot at you or anything.

Yes you were. Don't back down now, give him the wolf stare and tell him "come at me bro"!

sLoWnStEaDy
06-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I just thought it was funny that they hit two of your threads. Wasn't taking a shot at you or anything.

lawl... no worries, man. I didn't see they had been on my other stuff...

Deimos
08-06-2011, 06:01 AM
If I was a mod I would pimp slap you into last week and fuck you in the ass until you love me. Ban him