PDA

View Full Version : Where to get my flywheel resurfaced?

Ricky
05-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Any body know anyone in town that can resurface my fly wheel? I broke 3rd gear in my car over a week ago and almost have the tranny out.. (worked on it one day and got lazy) I need a friend to help me pull the tranny out (its loose and ready to go)

Im getting a new clutch since i hate mine and the tranny will be out and im thinking stock flywheel will be easier drivablity and not as nosiy.

sparkles
05-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Doesn't OReily's do it?

Drifte
05-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Go to Sperry or Horn.

JustinS
05-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Sperry

sLoWnStEaDy
05-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Sperry, unless you need it done in the next few months, then I would say Horn... ;)

black88gt
05-18-2011, 09:29 AM
dropped mine off at D and R over lunch and picked it up that night

slo4cyl
05-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I can get it done pretty cheap it'd just be the time frame of getting it from you and back to you that I'm worried about but you still have to get the tranny rebuilt so it could be possible

Ricky
05-18-2011, 10:00 AM
what does it cost? cant be too much......

sLoWnStEaDy
05-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Like $20 at Oreilly's IIRC...

snickerlicker
05-18-2011, 10:13 AM
$30 at Horn's, had mine done last month.

Drifte
05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
I wouldnt go to O'reillys. The screwed up rotors before. Sperry charges me in a range of 40-55 depending on what time of day I take one in. Is it like a dsm where step height has to be set?

slow ride
05-18-2011, 10:44 AM
What clutch was in it and what are you going to put in it? If it has a step height it needs to be right or it will throw off pressure plate performance. Not sure what the other places are using, but if it's not surface ground it's not the right way to do it. Turning it on a lathe would leave a directional finish.

A place in Waterloo (clutch masters) does them for me on a surface grinder. If it's flat and just has some heat marks on it from a organic disk you can get away with scuffing it up using a die grinder and abrasive pad. I'd want to look at the flywheel though before doing something like that.

Xboosted23X
05-18-2011, 11:41 AM
You might check Sadler. I would give them a call and see what they say. As long as it isn't a driveshaft it might have a quick turn around

TbTalon94
05-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I've always had good luck with Sperry. He does it the proper way, you don't want to lathe a flywheel.

Ricky
05-18-2011, 02:13 PM
I dont know what it looks like yet. I had a 6 puck spec clutch in so i dont know what it is going to look like.

McKeever
05-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Why not get an aluminum flywheel? Drivability is not that bad, just takes getting used to.

slow ride
05-18-2011, 08:09 PM
AWD cars make some weird noises with ultra light flywheels. Nothing I'd want in a daily. Is this a stock flywheel? No need for a 6 puck stage 3 spec at that power level and it won't do wonders for gearbox life. Flywheel sill be a little rough after a 6 puck for sure. Not sure whats out there, but get something strong enough and still smooth.

Drifte
05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Eric and I have talked about it. If the stock flywheel is in good enough shape for a resurface its gonna be the way to go. Lighter flywheels do cause odd noises and can cause misfire codes. Spec stage 2 I think is going to work for him, I believe its a full Kevlar disc.

McKeever
05-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Interesting, it must be an AWD thing. I went from A 22lb flywheel to an 11lb flywheel in the taco and the only noticeable difference was the added pep in its step.

slow ride
05-19-2011, 06:22 AM
All sorts of weird noises start to pop up. I think it's due to the awd and backlash, etc, etc. Audi's are the same way. I'd use the stock flywheel for now also, but after a 6 puck it will probably need to be machined a decent amount. What about a good old ACT organic street clutch with a heavy pressure plate? Do Subi's have any problems with heavy pressure plates like DSM's did? (crankwalk, worn clutch parts, etc) You could probably use that old spec pressure plate with a dual friction clutch disk. Something like FE (feramic) on the flywheel side and organic on the pressure plate side. I might be able to source the materials to do that.

Ricky
05-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Well it looks like i wont be able to use my stock flywheel.... looks to have small cracks in it. (I will post a pic later)

slow ride
05-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Yea thats heat marks from a lot of slipping say during a launch with a metallic puck style disk. It migth clean up, but people probably give stock wrx flywheels away so if you can get a fresh one it couldn't hurt. I take it the origional flywheel was already machined once when the spec went in?

Ricky
05-25-2011, 08:02 AM
I had a light weight fly wheel ready to put in with the 6 puck. The company i bought it from sent me the 02-04 fly wheel and it is thicker so the clutch wound't disengage. (yes we installed everything before we found that out.) it was a sunday and i needed to get it done that night. All i could do is clean up the stock flywheel and hope it worked. So to shorten the answer, no it has not been machined before.

slo4cyl
05-25-2011, 09:02 AM
I had a light weight fly wheel ready to put in with the 6 puck. The company i bought it from sent me the 02-04 fly wheel and it is thicker so the clutch wound't disengage. (yes we installed everything before we found that out.) it was a sunday and i needed to get it done that night. All i could do is clean up the stock flywheel and hope it worked. So to shorten the answer, no it has not been machined before.

That was a shitty day...

Ricky
05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
That was a shitty day...

agreed. for more reasons then one.

slow ride
05-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Puck disks are hard on flywheels. You could try something like a spec 3+ also, but I'd use a stock flywheel with it. The more material you have to take off the old flywheel to clean it up the more chance of messing up some of the geometry for clutch action. Does it seem like it's grooved deeply? Post a picture or two up close.

Drifte
05-25-2011, 09:49 AM
The flywheel is covered in cracks, I dont think the stocker is making a come back. Spec stage 2 or 2+ is in his power range though.

sLoWnStEaDy
05-25-2011, 07:02 PM
As long as it isn't a driveshaft it might have a quick turn around

they had my RX7 driveshaft done in like 3 hours, balanced and all...