PDA

View Full Version : Bleh Stupid Engine Shops

Caleb
05-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Back in mid-late April when I got my rotating assembly, I took it down to D&R so they could start on the engine, doing all the work to prep it and then balance the kit I got, and that was close to 4-5 weeks ago. They told me to give them a dead line to get it done and we said a couple weeks (granted I was in no huge hurry at the time). Well called 3 weeks into it and they haven't started on it, decided to wait another week and a half now. And they told me they were finishing up with some other jobs that were promised and its like why even give a dead line if they aren't gonna start on it until everything else's shit is done. They already have the lists of what needs to be done and I put $400 down on it. I'm on my vacation now expecting to pay it off and assemble the bottom half of the engine and they still haven't started on it. This is pissing me off. >_>

Anyone else have issues like this with D&R? Everyone says they do good work and a very good reputable place and great on info, but as far as getting their work done in time, I'm in question.

slo4cyl
05-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Back in mid-late April when I got my rotating assembly, I took it down to D&R so they could start on the engine, doing all the work to prep it and then balance the kit I got, and that was close to 4-5 weeks ago. They told me to give them a dead line to get it done and we said a couple weeks (granted I was in no huge hurry at the time). Well called 3 weeks into it and they haven't started on it, decided to wait another week and a half now. And they told me they were finishing up with some other jobs that were promised and its like why even give a dead line if they aren't gonna start on it until everything else's shit is done. They already have the lists of what needs to be done and I put $400 down on it. I'm on my vacation now expecting to pay it off and assemble the bottom half of the engine and they still haven't started on it. This is pissing me off. >_>

Anyone else have issues like this with D&R? Everyone says they do good work and a very good reputable place and great on info, but as far as getting their work done in time, I'm in question.

Seems like its that way with lots of machine shops.

AutoMods
05-16-2011, 03:04 PM
well since im in the business i can tell you that everybody wants car shit done in the spring. as a customer that is absolutely the worst time to try to get stuff done or buy stuff. backorders and delays are common. the veterns know to get stuff done in the dead of winter when its 20 degrees outside and everyone in the aftermarket business is twiddeling their thumbs waiting.

sLoWnStEaDy
05-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Seems like they are all the same. Honestly, Horn is the only place I use now. I have tried every other shop in the area and dealt with the same shit. Sperry had my stuff for almost 4 months without even touching it, literally, it was in the exact same spot, positioned the exact same way as I left it when I dropped it off. I got promised things every couple days, finally said F* it, grabbed it, dropped it off at Horn and got it back, completed within a week. For about 1/2 the price Sperry was going to charge as well.

DustinsDuster
05-16-2011, 03:26 PM
pretty much the same problem i ran into with D&R. i loved the quality of their work, but it was just so much of a crap shoot on when they were going to get to your stuff, i decided to go elsewhere. back in the day, i had Jeff Nelson at Bowman Woods Service(defunct) do my machine and assembly work on my 360, and i had my 4G63 built at Performance Concepts. Performance did an awesome job on my engine, and got it done in pretty decent time considering i didnt give them any kind of a deadline on it. they probably won't be the cheapest place you go to, but any added cost shows through in the finished project.

Drifte
05-16-2011, 05:33 PM
That sucks, I had Horn build my 4g63 and they got it done in 4 days or so and painted it up nice for me too. Real nice guys to work with.

sLoWnStEaDy
05-16-2011, 07:36 PM
That sucks, I had Horn build my 4g63 and they got it done in 4 days or so and painted it up nice for me too. Real nice guys to work with.

X10000000 Chris is an awesome guy and they do fantastic work!

Garrett
05-16-2011, 10:05 PM
I had Horn build an engine for me last tear, charged a crazy amount and took 4 weeks longer than promised.

Caleb
05-16-2011, 10:53 PM
My biggest problem is that they told me to give them a dead line and we said 2 weeks and they said its doable. But why do they even allow us to do that if it isn't the case? I think that's retarded, at least give a heads up if its not gonna be done or call a customer.

StreetSweeper
05-16-2011, 11:54 PM
well since im in the business i can tell you that everybody wants car shit done in the spring. as a customer that is absolutely the worst time to try to get stuff done or buy stuff. backorders and delays are common. the veterns know to get stuff done in the dead of winter when its 20 degrees outside and everyone in the aftermarket business is twiddeling their thumbs waiting.

Ryan tells it how it is! You want your shit done get it done in the fall right after your done beating it all summer. Don't wait untill march and go OH SHIT! Temps getting warm i need my shit done.. cause every other moron is doing that same thing and you wanna be ahead of the game!

Domestic Disturbance
05-17-2011, 01:44 AM
I had Horn build an engine for me last tear, charged a crazy amount and took 4 weeks longer than promised.

I think james and jesse waited longer than that even haha

Deimos
05-17-2011, 06:20 AM
6 weeks is nothing for a wait

Garrett
05-17-2011, 07:22 AM
I think james and jesse waited longer than that even haha

Promised 6 weeks. Took 10... And this was in October.

Caleb
05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Regardless, I'm in no huge hurry, I don't have all the parts to get it up and going. I was just looking forward to assemble the bottom half of the engine on my week off and its a no go. So now its gonna be back to slaving away at work and finding time to do what I want and balance everything else. Just a little pissed how they tell you one thing and then do another, that's inconsistent business. If they can't get it done in a couple of weeks, just say so and i'd be more than happy to wait. Still gonna be a bit before I get all the parts, I just want the engine at least almost done this summer/fall. So well see how it comes down.

96-eclipse-gst
05-20-2011, 03:02 PM

+1

As far as your last statement Caleb, never be afraid to call and just ask them. I know alot of times with owning a business, things can slip your mind or you may lose that work order with the information on it. Any business is gonna do their best to get back to their customers. I have used D&R quite a few times, even make the trip all the way over there for my shop work as well. I trust the guys to get it done right the first time and I haven't had a problem to date with it taking longer than expected (not saying it couldn't happen) The one thing I have learned from working in retail. Always give people the benefit of the doubt.

Fire Hawk
05-20-2011, 07:19 PM
+1

As far as your last statement Caleb, never be afraid to call and just ask them. I know alot of times with owning a business, things can slip your mind or you may lose that work order with the information on it. Any business is gonna do their best to get back to their customers. I have used D&R quite a few times, even make the trip all the way over there for my shop work as well. I trust the guys to get it done right the first time and I haven't had a problem to date with it taking longer than expected (not saying it couldn't happen) The one thing I have learned from working in retail. Always give people the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with ya Andrew. I was there when everything was dropped off and told Caleb to get a date set with Dave as he's told me many times that if you tell them no hurry, they have a tendency to push it to the side. They agreed on a couple weeks and money was put down to show them he wasn't going to wait to pay it in full. A little venting never hurt as I understand his frustration and it sucks when they say 2 weeks is now problem to balance the rotating assy and were going on 2 months. I know they'll do a good job but at this point communication will go a long ways letting them know you want it back is it's well past the time line agreed upon.