PDA

View Full Version : My Little Neon

tmikula92
05-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Hey guys, just decided to make a page about my Neon. Its a 2.0L DOHC with a few bolt ons, nothing done to the internals yet. Here is a mod list.

Mods
Performance Mopar High Rate Lowering Springs
Mopar Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mopar Performance ECU
A Big (And pointless) 9 Inch CAI
Med-Length Pacesetter Headers
Blacked out Taillights (10 hp anyone?)
Battery Relocation to Trunk
52MM TB
AC and PS Deletes

Mod's that are soon to be on the car
Crane 18s or 16s
2.0 Rebuilt Head with Crower springs and retainers to handle those Cranes mentioned above
OBX Longtube headers with a Cat delete and straight back exhaust
New Falken Azenis 615ks
New Performance Struts all around
Playing with the Idea of throwing a turbo on it..... but just thinking

Goals with the Neon
Well if I keep going with this All-Motor build, my end all goal is to get the Neon over 200hp. Its stock around 150hp, and hoping I've pushed that number up. Will get it Dynoed this June when I head off to N2K11
If I end up doing a turbo build, My end all goal is to not blow up the Neon......
Well I guess this is the part where pictures come. I am getting some better and more recent pictures of the car when I get a camera better then my BB.

AutoMods
05-08-2011, 10:11 AM
all motor builds should be left for the v8's to do. the 4 bangers need assistance. i bet that car is pretty light with no ac or ps

JacobS
05-08-2011, 05:05 PM
headers? wheres the other one go?

haha just kidding. keep us posted

tmikula92
05-08-2011, 08:54 PM
headers? wheres the other one go?

haha just kidding. keep us posted

Actually I glued the other one on top of my engine, it sticks out and works like a turbo...... No worries, its only running 10lb's of boost :P

clutchmuch
05-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Actually I glued the other one on top of my engine, it sticks out and works like a turbo...... No worries, its only running 10lb's of boost :P

legit.

Domestic Disturbance
05-09-2011, 01:11 AM
all motor builds should be left for the v8's to do. the 4 bangers need assistance. i bet that car is pretty light with no ac or ps

Yup. Are you going to be done once you hit that 200hp mark? Chances are it'll be money wasted and lots of backtracking redoing your setup for boost to go past that plateau

tmikula92
05-09-2011, 03:38 AM
Yup. Are you going to be done once you hit that 200hp mark? Chances are it'll be money wasted and lots of backtracking redoing your setup for boost to go past that plateau

Im thinking what ill do is go all motor with this Neon, then pick up another one with a really nice shell and turbo it... Im still choosing though, waiting on doin any serious buying til i make my decision... and if I go All motor then my goal will be 200, but that won't stop me from going higher lol

tmikula92
06-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Update on this project, took it to Cedar Falls Raceway to get it timed, hit a 15.501 at 91.66 mph... Got 12 runs in but could of had more, but didn't want to kill the car haha, it was a very dead day.

AutoMods
06-07-2011, 09:07 AM
thats fast for a na 4 cylinder and the little mods you have. is the car gutted? or did you get that cam put in? My turbo talon stock ran a 15.2. 12 runs is a lot!

tmikula92
06-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Nope, the only weight reduction I had was AC and PS delete. I'm still running stock motor, I wanted to get a 1/4 mile time before I changed my head out to be able to compare. You should of seen the smile on my face when I ran a 15.5 haha, It was a good day for me, made me feel good that my car was running in the mid 15s. Yeah there were probably 10 cars there the whole night, I had no lines on the track, so I took my sweet time, other then once or twice when I did a hot lap bc I knew I was close to a 15.4 lol.

Drifte
06-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Some nice lightweight 16" wheels and good tires ought to get you somewhere. Good time for that car, heck its quicker than my pickup. Im guessing motor mounts will be needed soon if the tires start hooking.

tmikula92
06-07-2011, 09:22 AM
I picked up some 17 inch rims with some Prada spec's on the front, Neo's on the back, not a bad deal for 100 bucks. They grip alot better, and I already ordered motor mount inserts lol, and a solid bobble strut.

The Prada specs are 100x better then the Walmart tires, just washed them, and was like "Lets dry my new tires" Dropped it up to 5k (To spin em) and I just hooked and went lol, better then a 3k launch and all spin on my Walmart tires lol. I eventually could get it to around 5800-6000 rpms on a launch, but I won't do that at the track with my stock axle, those are known to break.

The only issue I have now on my launches is my crazy wheel hop.

AutoMods
06-07-2011, 09:35 AM
back in the day i had a 95 talon non-turbo, same motor as your neon. best i could run was a 16.5 . car weighs more though

Drifte
06-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I picked up some 17 inch rims with some Prada spec's on the front, Neo's on the back, not a bad deal for 100 bucks. They grip alot better, and I already ordered motor mount inserts lol, and a solid bobble strut.

The Prada specs are 100x better then the Walmart tires, just washed them, and was like "Lets dry my new tires" Dropped it up to 5k (To spin em) and I just hooked and went lol, better then a 3k launch and all spin on my Walmart tires lol. I eventually could get it to around 5800-6000 rpms on a launch, but I won't do that at the track with my stock axle, those are known to break.

The only issue I have now on my launches is my crazy wheel hop.

Carefull, wheel hop destroys everything. If its a stock clutch it may be only a few launches away from going no where too. Slip the clutch real good on your launch and do your best to avoid wheel hop.

Drifte
06-07-2011, 09:55 AM
back in the day i had a 95 talon non-turbo, same motor as your neon. best i could run was a 16.5 . car weighs more though

It was lime green, underglow, dragon on the side. Had a fake bov noise maker.

tmikula92
06-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Thats why Im stiffening up the mounts and the bobble strut, and that seems..... Very Fast and Furious lol.

Hopfully my inserts come in todayI missed them in the mail 2 days in a row!

boostedsohc
06-09-2011, 07:55 AM
i feel that the big wheels are going to be slowing you down. it stick with something smaller if you go to the track.
but i also agree that all motor builds should be left for v8's. its just the exspensive way to go slow IMO. just put a small turbo on it and wake it up a little. your times are def impressive for a stock neon tho.

sLoWnStEaDy
06-09-2011, 08:21 AM
You already bought the inserts? when I had my neon, I was on neons.org and offered a mount stiffening service. It worked MUCH better than inserts and cost next to nothing for me to do. I simply used the urethane stuff they use for windshields and such. cleaned the mounts out really good with, filled them with the urethane, smoothed them out to make 'em look pretty and that was it. I had a few people do comparisons and they where all much happier with my filled mounts than the prothane inserts....

I had the same username over there, might still be able to find the info... it was about 7 years ago now though...

sLoWnStEaDy
06-09-2011, 08:26 AM
I still say the bet $200ish you can spend on that thing would be a 2.4L short block from a junkyard. You could probably get one even cheaper now days, $200 is what I paid for a 40K mile engine back in like '04...

tmikula92
06-09-2011, 09:46 AM
i feel that the big wheels are going to be slowing you down. it stick with something smaller if you go to the track.
but i also agree that all motor builds should be left for v8's. its just the exspensive way to go slow IMO. just put a small turbo on it and wake it up a little. your times are def impressive for a stock neon tho.

The car is my DD and turboing it just doesn't seem like a smart idea for me at the time. I will put a new head on it soon, and up the compression to 10.5.1 all for 600 dollars and should be putting out mid 14s, then a nitrous kit and some more weight reduction and 13s will be in my sight.

tmikula92
06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
You already bought the inserts? when I had my neon, I was on neons.org and offered a mount stiffening service. It worked MUCH better than inserts and cost next to nothing for me to do. I simply used the urethane stuff they use for windshields and such. cleaned the mounts out really good with, filled them with the urethane, smoothed them out to make 'em look pretty and that was it. I had a few people do comparisons and they where all much happier with my filled mounts than the prothane inserts....

I had the same username over there, might still be able to find the info... it was about 7 years ago now though...

The inserts I bought I got a deal on and were next to nothing, like 15 bucks for all of them. Ill try those and if I am not pleased then I will use that service, i Have heard about it.

And a 2.4 short block is almost no different then a 2.0 short block and the power increase is so small that it isn't worth the work. Have a 2.4l and a turbo really wakes up your motor, but the NA 2.4s put out 150 hp at factory and so does the 2.0. I have a 2.0 short block which I am building on the side, It will go on the Neon sooner or later. Whenever I am done with it.

The thing right now I need is compression, the high the compression, the more my Crane 18s will be happy and the more useful those big cams will be. I will turbo a Neon sooner or later, just not this one, and when I become more comfortable with the idea.

tmikula92
06-09-2011, 09:53 AM

the 17s are my show tires on the street, they are all for looks with some prada specs 2 on there for fun. My track tires are 14s with Falken Azenis 615ks.