PDA

View Full Version : Good tuners in the somewhat area

boostedsohc
05-06-2011, 11:23 PM
the time has come to find a good tuner for the new setup. i just wanted to get some input from some of you on here also.
ive been thinking of making the trek upto rogers MN to DB performance since they have done some high whp hondas in the past and have seemed to do good work.
does anyone else have suggestions? ive also thought of ams but theres a month waiting list and the car isnt 100 percent ready so i dont wanna make a apt until it is. then dont wanna wait that long

all info welcome. good and bad

thanks guys

Garrett
05-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Wrenches in Des Moines. Brain will give you a great tune, at a very reasonable price.

boostedsohc
05-07-2011, 08:49 AM
ive heard a little bit about them. i email them once but didnt get a response. il check into them again.

sparkles
05-07-2011, 09:31 AM
A guy on DS just got back last weekend from that shop in MN with his KB Cobra. He said he did a good job, but like all tuners, he seemed to have an attitude while doing it.
Brian at Wrenches will be doing my E85 tune in the next few weeks.

LT1Dan
05-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Stangvortech on here uses DB up there for his mustang tunes. I'm sure if he sees this he will chime in on them.

boostedsohc
05-07-2011, 11:46 PM
A guy on DS just got back last weekend from that shop in MN with his KB Cobra. He said he did a good job, but like all tuners, he seemed to have an attitude while doing it.
Brian at Wrenches will be doing my E85 tune in the next few weeks.

i can stand a little attitude if its tuned well haha. but gotta remember il be driving 6 1/2 hrs to go to there shop so i shouldnt get any tude

Stangvortech on here uses DB up there for his mustang tunes. I'm sure if he sees this he will chime in on them.

i would like to hear from someone who have themselves gone and can tell me about there personal experience

LT1Dan
05-08-2011, 12:26 AM
I'll text or pm him to make sure he drops in to give his opinion on them.

SLVR7
05-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Steve Kan is going to be in Center Point on May 21-22. He has his own tuning shop in Texas and does a great job with the entire map, ie has good driveability not just wot tuning. You can see a sample of dyno graphs and ask him questions at kantuning.com. If your interested let me know.

DustinsDuster
05-08-2011, 08:01 PM
i dont know if he'd be into it or not, but i know Jesse has tuned different types of cars- some of them pretty high power cars. just another option i guess

boostedsohc
05-08-2011, 08:38 PM
one thing i want is a tuner that will and knows how to tune with v-tec.
it seems shitty tuners always turn it off. which makes the cam worthless.
i found out after the fact last time the car was tuned that they disabled v-tec. and in some cars that is a difference of 50whp or more

AutoMods
05-08-2011, 09:16 PM
plus if you had vtec stickers and the tuner turned vtec off, that would be like false advertising

boostedsohc
05-09-2011, 08:58 PM
plus if you had vtec stickers and the tuner turned vtec off, that would be like false advertising

i mean yeahhhhhhhhh

boostedsohc
05-09-2011, 08:58 PM
i sent AMS a email today to there tuner and il see what i get back. im leaning toward going there.

boostedsohc
05-11-2011, 08:51 PM
making a APT tomorrow at AMS. shooting for june 15th if they have a open spot

Xboosted23X
05-11-2011, 09:58 PM
I didn't really think AMS was known for tuning hondas. But I'm sure Chris or Mitch will tune it fine. I think they tune pretty conservative.

AutoMods
05-11-2011, 11:01 PM
you should get it tuned sooner and make the june 18th shootout

Garrett
05-12-2011, 05:33 AM
"Wrenches" for Hondas....That there BIG THING...Boosted hondas are Brians thing. He made 392whp out of a BONE STOCK b18a for me last year. And I couldn't get it to blow up...That engine is still running around northern Iowa without a turbo now. And its in Des Moines...so much closer. Only makes sense to me. Brain has been tuning for 4 years now and does an amazing job.

sparkles
05-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Brian "conservatively" tuned Ben's Prelude. Made 474. We've been beating the crap outta that thing for a while now. I'll be the first to admit I don't know jack about tuning, but it's got very good drivability, which to me, is more important than your peak HP at WOT.

boostedsohc
05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
well i didnt get a chance to call and make a apt.
il go ahead and give wrenches a call and see what i think when i talk to them.
AMS is exspensive but they def know how to tune prolly anything with boost. since they are world wide know and have some world record cars.
il give wrenches a chance tho

Xboosted23X
05-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes they can tune but they are not known for hondas. I would look for somewhere that does a lot of hondas.

Garrett
05-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Like stated, Brian is a HONDA tuner. This is what his specailty is... He can tune for power,drivability,whatever you want. He is a conservitive tuner out of the bat, but will pull the appropriate power. You will be amazimed with the drivability of the car, he spend a lot of time just cruising ont he dyno and half to full throttle loops to find perfect economy and drivability. Then pulls the power.

boostedsohc
05-14-2011, 09:35 AM
now garrett will he tune with vtec on? this is the problem that ive had before. the tuner would turn it off and tune it and that ends up being a loss of power

sparkles
05-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Yes. He'll actually make sure it works too instead of just leaving it filled up with metal and not engaging.

Garrett
05-14-2011, 12:51 PM
now garrett will he tune with vtec on? this is the problem that ive had before. the tuner would turn it off and tune it and that ends up being a loss of power

He uses VTEC, I have never heard of tuning without VTEC, when its there. Thats just...stupid! He tunes and adjusts VTEC crossover, for best TQ and smoothest crossover. He tuned all my cars. Never thought of going anywhere else. Tell Brian I sent you there...Or better yet, Get your date set and I might just be there. Let me know the date.

I doubt you will unimpressed with the work done there. Its only good.

boostedsohc
05-14-2011, 02:01 PM
He uses VTEC, I have never heard of tuning without VTEC, when its there. Thats just...stupid! He tunes and adjusts VTEC crossover, for best TQ and smoothest crossover. He tuned all my cars. Never thought of going anywhere else. Tell Brian I sent you there...Or better yet, Get your date set and I might just be there. Let me know the date.

I doubt you will unimpressed with the work done there. Its only good.

i def will let him know you sent me and il let you know the date. prolly like 2 weeks from now depending on if i can find a truck and trailer.

and i agree its stupid to now use vtec when its there. Revhard didnt tune me or my buddies with it last time and when my buddy just went to mapperformance a couple weeks ago the turned it off too!
so mapperformance is off my list and revhard has been off my list for a couple years since i was there last.
i guy on another forum from Des moines that just bought a long block from me said his car was tuned there and they did a awesome job.
thanks again garret for reffering me to them. they seem like a pretty decent shop. the guy i talked to on the phone was professional and nice and that always goes along way in my book

Garrett
05-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Most deffinetly let me know when you go, PM me or something. I have faith you will leave happy. Brian is a great tuner and the owner of the shop "Kelly" has the best prices around. I am very glad you you are going with Wrenches!

DustinsDuster
05-14-2011, 06:47 PM
come to think of it, i dont think i've seen Trent o n the board since it was rebooted. im wondering if he's gonna get on here and give his .02 about this is all.

Clinical
05-14-2011, 07:39 PM
come to think of it, i dont think i've seen Trent o n the board since it was rebooted. im wondering if he's gonna get on here and give his .02 about this is all.

haha, after he already started shit on facebook with us and deleted what he said right after he said it (luckily we saved it) I doubt he'll have much to say after being called on all his bs already.

boostedsohc
05-14-2011, 09:47 PM
yeah fuck trent! i could type out a book on reasons i wont be going to revhard. the main one is him stealing a coupler out of my car and lieing about it. i got it back only after i asked for it when i saw it on another car in his shop.
if john owned the shop id be more likely to go there but thats not the case

Clinical
05-15-2011, 01:56 AM
yeah fuck trent! i could type out a book on reasons i wont be going to revhard. the main one is him stealing a coupler out of my car and lieing about it. i got it back only after i asked for it when i saw it on another car in his shop.
if john owned the shop id be more likely to go there but thats not the case

Not mention when he got caught red handed trying to sell us a catchcan off someone's car when we were up there to buy a couple things and the kid that it belonged to walked in.. Trent told the kid he was going to make him a better one and he said he didn't want a better one.. Gotta love it, gouging, stealing from, and disrespecting your customers.