PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Ashley. Metal Detecting Questions

Caleb
04-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Ok recently my friend and I were out Metal Detecting at Harrison Elementary Public School earlier this evening just doing our thing Detecting. We were looking for old silver coins and recent coins, just digging out plugs and replacing them respecting the grounds of the property. Just a fun hobby to do. Keep in mind, prior to this we had not done one thing to cause a public disturbance.

But anyway, we were approached by 2 officers in an unmarked police car and the guy asked what we were doing there and asked if we had permission to be there and or if we had siblings attending the school or partake or work for the school in anyway (being very defensive right off the bat). But anyway after answering their questions, my friend Derek said, were on public ground and it and we had no issues at any other schools (which we haven't). And since its public ground and publicly owned, we should have every right to be there peacefully. The cops rebuttal to it was that it was actually privately operated and we weren't allowed to dig anywhere on the property without permission from the school. Derek said that legally people can detect from the curb to the sidewalk in front of peoples homes because its the citys public property and the cops rebuttal was well if it was in front of your house, would you like your yard being dug up? And they perceived to tell us that you can detect in city parks, just cant dig. (then what in the fuck is the point of buying a metal detector? To spend $100-$300 on a detector to find a lost piece of your jewelry?)

We ended up leaving, but regardless. NEVER had an issue prior to this one incident and from my research, most cops don't know what they hell they are talking about when it comes to the subject. So after all this hoopla, I was just wondering what are the stipulations to metal detecting. I know its common courtesy to get permission to detect on private property, that's common sense. I know of the Historic Preservation Act and not allowed to detect at State Parks and Historic Sites. I know all of that because its plastered on the internet, but as far as public parks/schools/grounds go, what are we allowed to do?

JustinS
04-24-2011, 10:02 PM
See if there are some laws you could print out and have with you next time you're out?

85XR7Project
04-25-2011, 01:56 AM
not sure but seems pretty lame thing to do . you have too much time on your hands.

I think the same thing about you every time you post here...

Ricky
04-25-2011, 07:25 AM
^ agree

sparkles
04-25-2011, 07:54 AM
not sure but seems pretty lame thing to do . you have too much time on your hands.

As opposed to you which always has 3" in one hand and a bottle of lotion in the other.

Caleb
04-25-2011, 11:38 AM
See if there are some laws you could print out and have with you next time you're out?

I would but I can't find any necessarily in stone, this is the reason why I posted asking Ashley. I know of the ones that I found, but haven't found any regarding public parks/recreation areas. I know you're supposed to respect ground rules if posted on parks, but is that as far as it goes? People say digging up the land is considered defacing property, but were not "digging up" the land so to speak. All we do is cut a circular hole, pull up the plug, find our object, replace dirt and put plug back in hole, stamp down with foot. Can't even tell anyone was there.

I thought the same thing until I saw the benefits of exercise, searching for certain types of shit, cheap and fun hobby, especially when you're building an engine for another car saving money. Its smart and enjoyable. Also if you're looking for older coins and shit, you dig up a little history around the places you plan on detecting at. So overall, fun experience once you get into it. But seriously, if you post just to criticize, don't post at all.

skipdownstairs
04-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Sucks that you got ran off by the law heres some regs I looked up for ya... Also if you bought your detector from a dealer call them or stop back in and talk to em about your encounter. I'm sure they know these laws as well and if you find anything cool don't forget to send it to me :)

Iowa Metal Detector Laws
By Steven Kittinger, eHow Contributor

Iowa has metal detector laws.

Every state has its own laws on metal detecting. Whatever state you are in, make sure to check the rules and regulations so you do not break the law. In Iowa, metal detecting is allowed but only in certain areas and only during certain times of day. There are also laws on the tools you can use and the size of your excavation.
Prohibited

Except for certain designated areas or by special written agreement with a park ranger or manager, metal detecting is prohibited in all state parks and recreation areas.
Beach Areas

In designated beach areas, metal detecting is allowed from May 22 to Sept. 7 each year during the hours of 4 to 11 a.m. and from Sept. 8 to May 21 of each year during the hours of 4 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Drained Lakes

Metal detecting use is allowed in artificial lakes that have been drained or have had their water level lowered, but only from 4 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. and "only after the lakebed has been thoroughly surveyed for archaeological resources and a survey report has been completed and approved by the State Historic Preservation Office." It is a good idea to check with the local park staff to make sure that has been done.
Digging

Use probes not more than 12 inches long, 1 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick. Also, use sand scoops or sieves not more than 10 inches in diameter. If you dig with a probe, the hole cannot be larger than 3 inches square, and if you dig with a sand scoop or sieve, the hole cannot be larger than 10 inches in diameter. Once you are done with the excavation, you must return the disturbed area back to its original condition.
Items Found

Any item you find is subject to Iowa Code Chapter 644, which states that if someone does not claim the lost item within 12 months, the item belongs to the person who found it. Also, during metal detector use, a litter apron or bag must be worn or carried and any trash dug up must be thrown away in the appropriate trash container.

Read more: Iowa Metal Detector Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6131673_iowa-metal-detector-laws.html#ixzz1KYwNOtau

Ricky
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
sounds like they really dont want you do be looking for stuff huh? that last part i find funny. "Any item you find is subject to Iowa Code Chapter 644, which states that if someone does not claim the lost item within 12 months, the item belongs to the person who found it."

You find something that has been there for years but now you have to wait another year before you can claim it?

ZacFields
04-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Ash (if you're talking about my Ashley) probably wouldn't be able to help much on this one, other than to be able to ask some officers if they know anything about it. I didn't know she had told you guys she works for the CRPD... no wonder you all shun me. LOL

Looking at the stuff that "skipdownstairs" posted up, I can see where if you're not permitted to do it in state parks and recreation areas, that would probably extend itself to schools as well.

My guess is that you'd have to get creative in the locations that you're legally able to metal detect. Best places would probably be closed-down businesses (with permission from the owner of the property)... I'd look into areas that were hit by the flood. I bet some of those properties would be pretty fun places to do that.

Caleb
04-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Yeah Zac I thought I would give it a try lol.

Yeah Skip, I saw that on Iowa DNR website, but its vague on detail.

metal detecting is prohibited in all state parks and recreation areas.

To me this is confusing, what is the their definition of a recreation area? Public...or..."State ran" Recreational Area?

I actually bought my metal detector from online (http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.php very good site)

Worse comes to worse I'll see if I can get a permit from the superintendent or call and talk to the Principals of schools

96-eclipse-gst
04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Ash (if you're talking about my Ashley) probably wouldn't be able to help much on this one, other than to be able to ask some officers if they know anything about it. I didn't know she had told you guys she works for the CRPD... no wonder you all shun me. LOL

Ashley works for the CRPD.......I shun thee Zac Fields!!

Ashley
04-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Sorry, I haven't been on here in a few days!

Anyway, I remember the other evening an officer going out with a couple guys at Harrison. I didn't realize it was you. :)

I'll try and ask some officers at work tonight if they have any clue where you can definitely detect without anyone hassling you. Really for the most part, I don't think officers really care... the only reason you got stopped at Harrison was because someone who lived in the area called you guys in as 'suspicious people' haha.

Caleb
04-29-2011, 04:25 PM
I dont get how its suspicious behavior when we have large wands were waving and its beeping at the ground (as if it wasn't obvious enough) and my girlfriend going bonkers over the friendly neighborhood cat, petting it and holding it. But yeah, figured it was those people who had just gotten home and they sat on the porch just watching us. Fucking people with nothing else to do. Ok thanks Ashley. I'm just gonna stick to the common sense "code" that we go by that we've never had an issue with yet.

Batwood
04-30-2011, 09:50 PM
I went to Harrison for K-5... Just tell them you are friends of an Alum!
I live on J Ave off 13th St. too, so I'm nearby.
I'm not sure why that would make a difference ... lol.