PDA

View Full Version : S10 Warrantied transmission did fail...

Drifte
04-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Bought this truck and at the test drive I thought, man this tranny either isnt working right or something. Anyway, long story short I got a warranty put on the trucks transmission. Everythings been good, though recently it seems as though it will just hold a set rpm and speed and bog really bad. Well after I ran over to check out my brothers new Hustler (lawnmower) it just went. Wont get up to speed, only seems to use one "gear" to excellerate.

I called the dealer ship, owner was busy but supposed to call me back. I'll start a little blog here and see how it all goes down.

Dealership is Downing Auto Sales In DesMoines.

AutoMods
04-16-2011, 01:43 PM
did the dealer use a 3rd party to warranty it? or who is the warranty through? thats crazy that such a low mileage tranny would have problems

JustinS
04-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Hope it all works out for ya Colton, it should since you've got the warranty. How many miles on it?

sLoWnStEaDy
04-16-2011, 02:45 PM
thats crazy that such a low mileage tranny would have problems

When I worked at AAMCO, we would have cars come back within days sometimes. Hell, there where times we'd put a trans in, take it for a test drive and the shit would blow up on the drive.

Stutz
04-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Time for a ls with a T56!

DustinsDuster
04-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Time for a ls with a T56!

kinda what i was thinking. 5.3's are cheap,time to check that route out.

CiviC_boY
04-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Are you sure its the tranny??? i had a blazer and i thought it was the tranny abt replaced it and turned out that the cats where fucked up... it felt like the tranny was slipping and didnt use the gears..

Drifte
04-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Well, the initial sign of a problem, was from a stop if I got on it it would kind of stumble then start to accelerate from 2k up. Just had ATS run a scan on everything and nothing came back from the scan, wasnt anything in the history either. This would be a great time for a swap, except Im currently driving it everyday.

Just about to roll over 48,000 miles. So I have put about 2K on it since purchased.

I was pretty certain I wouldnt get a call back today. They close at 3 and I called at 2:30. His wife didnt sound happy to hear from me. Warranty was simply costs covered by them. I'll be scanning all the documents into my computer today as soon as the scanner starts communicating with my computer again :/

Drifte
04-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Well, the initial sign of a problem, was from a stop if I got on it it would kind of stumble then start to accelerate from 2k up. Just had ATS run a scan on everything and nothing came back from the scan, wasnt anything in the history either. This would be a great time for a swap, except Im currently driving it everyday.

Just about to roll over 48,000 miles. So I have put about 2K on it since purchased.

I was pretty certain I wouldnt get a call back today. They close at 3 and I called at 2:30. His wife didnt sound happy to hear from me. Warranty was simply costs covered by them. I'll be scanning all the documents into my computer today as soon as the scanner starts communicating with my computer again :/

96-eclipse-gst
04-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Is there a CEL on now with the way the transmission is acting? With such a hard failure like that, I would be simply surprised it has nothing in it for codes still. Let me know, I could prolly swing by to check it out again.

Deimos
04-16-2011, 05:11 PM
so I got a 350 th350 combo for sale colton. I make you a hell of a deal and will even throw in the driveshaft. Let me know bud both ran when i took them out.

snickerlicker
04-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Sunshell is toast. Happened on my Blazer....

Drifte
04-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Huh?

No CEL, but Andrew if your in my area more than welcome to plug in. But I would really like to keep the truck reliable, reasonably gas effecient, and maintain all luxuries such as power steering ad a/c. I know it can be done with lsx swap, but it takes some time. If the dealership honors the warranty, maybe I can put some money of mine own in and have the 4l60e beefed up enough this doesn't happen AGAIN.

Whats funny is I just drove the few miles to my brothers, took him for a ride to show him the issue (which it clearly was acting up on the way over). It didnt really do anything wrong so I looked like an idiot, left his house and could barely make it up the hill. Engine is clearly working hard you can heard it, but its just not moving. I've heard of it being cats before, but I just dont know about this one.

Drifte
04-16-2011, 05:52 PM

Googling some info I see common issues:
1st and 3rd only, no 2,4 or R; sunshell is fractured or splines are sheared off. R&R. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

I just have no idea what a sunshell is.

snickerlicker
04-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Here is what the sunshell is:
The "sun shell" connects the reverse input drum to the sun gear. The 2/4 band wraps around the reverse drum. When the reverse clutches are applied the sun shell spins the sun gear. When the 2/4 band is applied the sun shell holds the sun gear from spinning. This is why when it breaks you lose reverse, second and fourth.

Your truck is doing the exact same thing my Blazer did. Maybe you will get lucky, but I bet you don't. Time for a rebuild...

snickerlicker
04-16-2011, 07:07 PM
N/M

Deimos
04-16-2011, 07:21 PM
colton you should know a clogged cat from a tranny bud.

Drifte
04-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I should yes. haha, Im pretty certain its trans problems anyway. But I appreciate everyones input.

Sparkles, I do have reverse though. No doubt I need a rebuild, but whats at fault is unclear still.

sparkles
04-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Huh?

My vote would be the knifler pin.

Deimos
04-16-2011, 07:41 PM
you have twice the pump pressure in reverse is it low on fluid?

Krumm
04-16-2011, 09:12 PM
im really confused why its acting. so few miles and only a v6 for power. hell my truck is still on its original tranny with 132k and one hell of an abusive life.

there goes my idea of bringing you in as a partner and using your truck for lawn care lol.

Drifte
04-17-2011, 09:08 AM
You do have the old 3spd though Kent. I'll go check fluids again and see how it drives today.

Krumm
04-17-2011, 02:57 PM
i was talkin about the green truck, 4l80e though. If i put the black truck back to work im sure its tranny will give out before 100k.

96-eclipse-gst
04-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Well Colton, if you have some extra time, might be worth coming to the shop putting your truck up on the lift. Pulling codes, checking fluid, doing some diagnosis.

sparkles
04-17-2011, 09:37 PM
The 4L60E in my 98 started doing some funky stuff like this. Turned out one of the solonoids burnt up. Pricey little bastards.

Drifte
04-18-2011, 08:20 AM
OK guys. Lets see if todays status makes my problem any more or less clear.

Its perfectly fine today. I got on it a little bit close to work up a hill and it was ok. It seems any situation where it has to down shift to gain speed though is trouble (before, didnt want to find out today).

sparkles
04-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Does it seem like it wants to start in 2nd and no TC lockup?

Drifte
04-18-2011, 09:39 AM
I know first gear was engaged, it kinda sticks in 1st gear when i cruise down my driveway at about 15mph. Couldnt really tell if TC locked up. But I cant tell if its electrical or mechanical causing the problems. I mean the tranny if I had to guess is perfectly fine, but electronics arent working. Still waiting on a call back from the dealership to find out who they want me to take it to for an inspection.

96-eclipse-gst
04-18-2011, 10:52 AM
To be honest, the solenoids do fail quite often. I believe there are two shift solenoids and one pressure control solenoid. BUT, if it's an electrical failure; you should be able to get codes out of it.

Drifte
04-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Ok, so weird. The truck seems to work perfectly fine. Hit the gas suddenly while moving though and it just free revs. I try to get video and you cant feel it shaking and pulsing on video so it just looks really slow. I had to let off to get it to shift in first and you can hear the backfire still but its really quiet on camera. But anyway, Im calling the dealer again tomorrow and hopefully they give me an answer. In second gear i did let off for a second, you have to realize in the truck it feels like something is about to explode.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/drifte/th_IMG_1331.jpg (http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/drifte/?action=view&current=IMG_1331.mp4)

Drifte
08-09-2011, 08:07 AM
A dozen Iphone videos, a couple thousand miles, and one Miracle CEL later. Andrew plugged in and solved the problem.

Andrew knows how long and hard I've been attacking this strange miss that isnt noticable in video. I can feel it. So andrew plugs in and a few seconds later sees the code. Basically makes me beg for it, and its the mass air flow sensor. So we order one over, plug it in and its like a whole new truck. I got so used to no response and no power and never even attempting to accelerate that Im having a blast with it now.

A few people who rode in it agreed, this has to be a tranny problem. So weird, but the trans is perfectly fine, all in the MAF.

85XR7Project
08-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Odd how it could feel like one thing and would be something totally unrelated like that. Glad you got it though! What are your plans with it?

Drifte
08-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Looking into torsend diff for the rear. Maybe get around to debadging, some tint etc. Nothing to drastic for now.

Ricky
08-09-2011, 10:22 AM
about time you fixed her!

Deimos
08-09-2011, 05:40 PM
lol sometimes you can check for that with carb cleaner

DustinsDuster
08-09-2011, 05:47 PM
cough LS SWAP cough

Deimos
08-09-2011, 05:48 PM
^like^

AutoMods
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I've tried hard to get Colton to buy a GTO, g8, ls rx7 or ls truck, etc etc before he bought the s10 . He just didn't have it in him. he kept talking about the s10 extreme body kits and how cool it would look with neon lights.

me on the other hand.....

I got a need for speed

When the cops come all I hear is whoopwhoopwhoop
Said when the cops come all I hear is whoopwhoopwhoop
Said when the cops come all I hear is whoopwhoopwhoop

I got a
I got a
I got a need for speed

Deimos
08-09-2011, 08:13 PM
he has always been show before go

JustinS
08-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Colton is a ricer at heart

Drifte
08-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Busted. heres the twanks on the 10, minus a couple leaf springs.