PDA

View Full Version : need help

clutchmuch
04-12-2011, 08:58 PM
ok so the rx7 sputtered and shut off the other day. though maybe a clogged fuel filter. replaced. nada. ok fuel pump duh. replaced with a walbro. nada. it takes awhile to start and have to pump the gas, will run(sound crappy and feels like shit) but only run if i keep my foot posted on the gas, if i let it drop to 1500rpm, then it will sputter down and die. and it seems like there is enough psi on the fuel line, i stiil need to get a pressure tester to be sure. any idears?

85XR7Project
04-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Methinks someone bought themselves a turd...

clutchmuch
04-12-2011, 11:05 PM
that doesn't help me! haha. it ran the first couple days was almost home on friday night, came around the corner on my street put it in the second and it just dropped rpms and died.

Stutz
04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Dont know much about the rx7.. but does it have a maf? throttle postion sensor? Just throwing out ideas

clutchmuch
04-13-2011, 01:12 AM
well ive been researching a little more about it and the only conclusions ive came up with are that either its loosing compression from sitting and the engine seals drying out, fuel rail issue/pulsation damper, airflow meter which triggers the fuel pump, apparently those are know to have bad connections or shit out, other than those i would either think just a clogged line or something. but ill look into mass air flow, and throttle postion. ill also look into a chevy small block haha. but i just want to get this running for the time being. Im pretty sure its more than one problem thats occuring but time for more researching.

Deimos
04-13-2011, 04:37 AM
what year is the rx7? The old rotaries are pretty damn cake to work on.

85XR7Project
04-13-2011, 07:41 AM
I'm going to be completely honest here, I wouldn't spend tons of money trying to figure out what the problem is. Its an NA rotary, not really worth much and isn't ever going to be fast. I would look into doing a 350/302 swap and a t-5, honestly I think that would be a better solution. I have also heard of people swapping in VG30's from Z31 300ZX's either engine is going to be better than the old 13B.

Drifte
04-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Make sure the MAF is plugged in. TPS plugged in or Crank angle sensor. Sounds like a sensor just came unplugged. Or it crankwalked lol

JustinS
04-13-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm going to be completely honest here, I wouldn't spend tons of money trying to figure out what the problem is. Its an NA rotary, not really worth much and isn't ever going to be fast. I would look into doing a 350/302 swap and a t-5, honestly I think that would be a better solution. I have also heard of people swapping in VG30's from Z31 300ZX's either engine is going to be better than the old 13B.

I concur

clutchmuch
04-13-2011, 11:11 AM
its and 86 and i dont want to spend alot in it. and yes i wanna swap for a chevy small block, but i atleast want the mutha running. and thanks for tips im going to check all this shit tonight.

Phish
04-13-2011, 12:41 PM
First thing to do, is check compression. Supposed to have a special tester to do this, but it can be done the backyard way with a normal tester. unplug the eshaft position sensor so the plugs are not firing, remove one plug from the front rotor and hook up the tester, have someone turn the car over while you watch the gauge. It should bounce on each face of the rotor to basically the same spot. if you see it bounce high twice and low once, you have low compression. Do the same with the rear rotor. You should get an idea on if its a compression issue or not by doing this. But honestly, i would check this first. Other things to try and check also though.

AutoMods
04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
call the previous owner and see if they have an idea . or maybe they knew of a problem and thats why they sold it idk. i agree, start simple with sensors, cheap stuff to check like fueling, ignition.

most of the time its something simple. but i did warn you about those rotaries :) good luck

DustinsDuster
04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
engine swap time.

clutchmuch
04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
engine swap time.

agreed. find me a cheap chevy engine. but its compression. apex seals be poopy. now i gotta do this weird way to fix it with oil or some type of fluid i forgot but i read through it earlier.

c_mart_28
04-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Eh.. atf trick is probably what you read about. Putting automatic trans fluid in the spark plug hole. Clears out fuel as well as potentially unsticks seals.. Wouldn't explain why it died as it was running really.

There is a fuel pump relay below the driver's dash. I think its a yellow plug. You should be able to just barely get to it and pull it out as you are in the seat turning the ignition. Turn the key for awhile with that plug pulled, that's an easy way to clear out the chamber if its flooded. Pull the plug..turn the key.. pop plug back as you hear it start to "catch."

85XR7Project
04-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Atf fluid is corrosive to the internal seals and whatnot you know...

From what I've read of the atf trick it's not really worth it.

AutoMods
04-14-2011, 07:46 AM
who did u buy the car from?

Drifte
04-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Atf fluid is corrosive to the internal seals and whatnot you know...

From what I've read of the atf trick it's not really worth it.

ATF has detergents in it is why I understand it cleans. Supposed to be safer than seafoam I hear as well. If you have the system to do it, a good cleaning method is seafoam taken in slowly by a vacuum line. Car needs to run for that one to work though.

85XR7Project
04-14-2011, 08:12 AM
One way I read the ATF trick is done was to let it sit and work overnight which seems a bit sketchy to me.

Don't take my negativity the wrong way, I would like to see you succeed with this car. I just don't think you are going to enjoy doing this constantly to a rotary. I have wanted an RX7 for years to do a swap on.

TbTalon94
04-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I've used seafoam a few times, always worked pretty well without an issue.

Phish
04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
I would keep looking into this before you give up completely. Does the car start at all? Pop start the car, then run your seafoam treatment through it... Could also check your oil to see if there is any coolant in it. Just because you lost compression does not mean it was an Apex seal

sLoWnStEaDy
04-14-2011, 09:00 AM
ATF in the spark plug holes worked great for me! I bought mine with a "seized" engine. Threw ATF in the plug holes, let it sit for a couple hours and she started right up! ran and drove GREAT the entire time I had it, Just did the swap out of boredom with the POS, gutless rotary.

FYI, the engine swaps aren't cheap. Even something as cheap/simple as a SBC swap is easily going to run you $2k-$3k.

85XR7Project
04-14-2011, 09:23 AM
You more than likely had a chunk of carbon jamming the rotor in place. I've heard of that happening.

Phish
04-14-2011, 09:37 AM
LOL looking at the price i have spent on my build i would do a swap for 3k anyday. Maybe that should be my next project. I would rather do something crazy though... like a supercharged 5.4 or something of the sorts.

sparkles
04-14-2011, 12:39 PM
LSX bitches

JustinS
04-14-2011, 02:56 PM
www.norotors.com

clutchmuch
04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
it will run. after a good twenty seconds on the ignition with pedal to the floor. when it starts it runs like crap, will not go into a gear. i was told that i lost compression by my dads friend who has owned many of these. its sitting at his shop now and hes screwing with it. could be a number of things wrong on top of that lol. im going over there tomorrow to try these other ideas you guys threw out and try the atf trick among others. ill let you know what i find and if it's running haha

85XR7Project
04-14-2011, 06:04 PM
that kid is laughing his ass off all while driving that CRX around. I feel bad for you to a certain extent.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-14-2011, 06:31 PM
that kid is laughing his ass off all while driving that CRX around. I feel bad for you to a certain extent.

fact or speculation??

Deimos
04-14-2011, 06:48 PM
dude seriously just call IWI and ask for the commercial guy who loves the everylocing heck out of rotatries and pick his brain.

85XR7Project
04-14-2011, 08:41 PM
speculation. did it run when you traded? somehow im sure he knew something was goin on.

clutchmuch
04-15-2011, 12:21 AM
yeah it ran. wont be laughing soon, crx had many problems, to name a few, rod knock hahahaha, needs new radiator(leaks), needs a new clutch, cv joint, exhaust leak, cam seal(leaks a little oil) but the rx7 has no compression in the front rotor, back is fine. find me an engine!

Domestic Disturbance
04-15-2011, 02:08 AM
found you one. Idk how you'll get one though
http://www.chevyhardcore.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/28/files/2011/03/f66ab_ls9_crate_engine_2_450op.jpg

85XR7Project
04-15-2011, 07:13 AM

85XR7Project
04-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Motor and trans out of an 81 Z28 350 engine and 350 Lockup trans $300 obo

call 319-363-1140 no emails or SPAMMERS PLEASE

Probably the best deal you will find. It's in CR IIRC.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty good deal! you could probably do the swap for $2k~ with an engine/trans setup that cheap. Although, mine was free and I still have well over $2k in it now. Of course, I added some extras and what not.

Do the ATF thing, I have seen it work wonders on many occasions. if it don't work... www.grannysspeedshop.com Don't skimp, get the deluxe kit... I pieced mine together, bought my own radiator, had a driveshaft made at Saddler, used fox body headers, yadda, yadda...

It added up, especially after the amount of time I wasted taking measurements, finding flanges, fabricating etc...

AutoMods
04-15-2011, 11:15 AM
I would go with the motor you want to have long term. if you do a swap you are going to have 200+ hours of labor in the car eventually. 3 years down the road you will be kicking yourself that you could've spent a few hundred more dollars and could've based your swap off a ls motor.

5.3 ls motor is good, they are only $400-$500 or better yet a 6.0 truck ls motor for like $1k . just the basic $400 kit for from hinson was all got and thats all you need IMO. just the motor mounts and tranny mounts, the rest is easy. c4 corvette driveshaft is a perfect fit for the t56 tranny and is only $40. just make simple radiator mounts I made in like 30 minutes

JacobS
04-15-2011, 11:53 AM
man, for that kind of money you could have had a healthy GSR swap in the crx!

Clinical
04-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Fo-Gee-Six-Three swap!!!

sorry i had to

clutchmuch
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
thanks for the tips. im going to call that guy with the 81 today and try and snatch that up. or try and find a 5.3 if not i might just buy this 04 rx8 engine.

Clinical
04-15-2011, 01:43 PM
thanks for the tips. im going to call that guy with the 81 today and try and snatch that up. or try and find a 5.3 if not i might just buy this 04 rx8 engine.
imo that'd be a waste, just go v8

AutoMods
04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
whatever it is, don't rush your decision. take your time and do research

Phish
04-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Before you get into the RX8 engine there is alot that you need to know about it to make sure its decent, especially if its an 04. Also would depend on what your future plans for the car are and how cheap you get the motor for. Not the best swap, but not the worst either. I have heard of people doing it before.

Sleeping
04-15-2011, 02:06 PM
I just sold two rotary engines that both ran for $350 each one turbo and one n/a just look around they are out there. Post up on the swap forum many people trying to get rid of the rotary. But a swap is going to take awhile and some $

clutchmuch
04-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I just sold two rotary engines that both ran for $350 each one turbo and one n/a just look around they are out there. Post up on the swap forum many people trying to get rid of the rotary. But a swap is going to take awhile and some $

fuck me running haha that sucks.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-15-2011, 09:45 PM
When it comes down to it... do what YOU want to do! Don't jump on the LSx bandwagon just to fallow suit.

85XR7Project
04-15-2011, 10:44 PM
I see grannys speed shop has added a few new swaps. I think a 2.3 turbo Lima Ford engine out of a turbo coupe could be pretty cool in that. Pity I sold one a few years back for SUPER cheap.

Keith, I don't understand your aversion to the LSx. How is swapping a Ford small block in any more unique?

clutchmuch
04-16-2011, 03:37 AM
I see grannys speed shop has added a few new swaps. I think a 2.3 turbo Lima Ford engine out of a turbo coupe could be pretty cool in that. Pity I sold one a few years back for SUPER cheap.

Keith, I don't understand your aversion to the LSx. How is swapping a Ford small block in any more unique?

hey so you were mentioning you've always wanted an rx7? 1 grand? haha no idc what goes in to it really. whatever i can find for the cheapest amount of money atm, whether it be ford or chevy or a nissan or another rotary, just want it runnin.

c_mart_28
04-16-2011, 07:24 AM
hey so you were mentioning you've always wanted an rx7? 1 grand? haha no idc what goes in to it really. whatever i can find for the cheapest amount of money atm, whether it be ford or chevy or a nissan or another rotary, just want it runnin.

It seems like you're assuming an engine swap is a quick easy thing. The easiest thing would be just a known-running n/a rotary in the place of the engine you have in there. Any motor swap, regardless of how straight forward it is will still be quite the project. Depending on your experience, just getting another rotary in there alone can be some work.

Phish
04-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Correct, the easiest and cheapest would be buy another NA motor out of the same model of car to swap into it. Anything else will be a long process with obstacles that will require money lol

sLoWnStEaDy
04-16-2011, 08:41 AM

I never said to avoid an LSx... I never claimed a SBF swap was more unique either... I said do what HE wants to do because it his HIS fucking car. I have nothing "against" the LSx, I am just sick of everyone thinking/saying it is the "be all/end all" motor swap no matter what the circumstances are. Everyone knows the LSx is an option but it is not the ONLY option. It is a great platform, everyone knows that, I am just sick of it always being shoved down everyone's throat on EVERY fucking car forum on the internet.

FYI: My next swap is actually LSx based, because that is what I want in THAT project...

sparkles
04-16-2011, 08:46 AM
When it comes down to it... do what YOU want to do! Don't jump on the LSx bandwagon just to fallow suit.
Yeah, what he said. You should jump on it so it will be fast and reliable.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah, what he said. You should jump on it so it will be fast and reliable.

agreeable, if it is in his budget. People seem to think I am "anti LSx" when that is NOT the case. I am just anti people telling everyone what they should do with their vehicles. Not saying anyone has done that in this thread, just in general, people REALLY force the LSx issue...

85XR7Project
04-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Shit man, you make yourself out to be anti-LSx. You make a post on here that he shouldn't "Jump the LSx bandwagon" and you seem to get bent out of shape anytime someone hints that someone should do an LSx swap. How much more could you do to give others the impression that you are anti-LSx? How I see it is the LSx is a good engine that has potential to make tons of power, there are many different sizes and some aren't terribly expensive. I have always been a Ford guy but I know Ford engines are harder to make power on up until recently (4.6 3V/5.0 Coyote). Any way you look at it the LSx is NOT a terrible choice. I just don't think it is a bad idea, dollar for dollar its probably one of the cheapest ways to have a fast as hell car.

As far as me wanting to buy your basket case clutchmuch, I will pass. I am a first gen fan first and a second gen next kind of guy. Not to mention I can get into a running one for less than $1000.

clutchmuch
04-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Shit man, you make yourself out to be anti-LSx. You make a post on here that he shouldn't "Jump the LSx bandwagon" and you seem to get bent out of shape anytime someone hints that someone should do an LSx swap. How much more could you do to give others the impression that you are anti-LSx? How I see it is the LSx is a good engine that has potential to make tons of power, there are many different sizes and some aren't terribly expensive. I have always been a Ford guy but I know Ford engines are harder to make power on up until recently (4.6 3V/5.0 Coyote). Any way you look at it the LSx is NOT a terrible choice. I just don't think it is a bad idea, dollar for dollar its probably one of the cheapest ways to have a fast as hell car.

As far as me wanting to buy your basket case clutchmuch, I will pass. I am a first gen fan first and a second gen next kind of guy. Not to mention I can get into a running one for less than $1000.

i was just messing haha. but yeah i know putting in another rotary would be cheapest and easiest but its hard to find one around here.

85XR7Project
04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
I'd find yourself either VG30DET from a Z31 or get a 2.3 Turbo from a Tbird Turbo Coupe/SVO Mustang/Cougar XR7/XR4Ti both of those engines would be much more cost effective and/or easier to find for cheap.

AutoMods
04-19-2011, 12:06 PM
so i read in the other thread that you decided on the vg30dett swap. Interesting, would be cool to see. I don't hear of that done much, which means it would be unique although you'd be on your own more as far as online help. do you have some links to install articles and tips?

clutchmuch
04-19-2011, 12:09 PM
yeah been looking, their bookmarked on my computer. didn't find much though. haha, found a nice vg30

clutchmuch
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I got a toilet you can flush your money down if you want to see it disappear faster. Or just give me your credit card number, that will work too.

nah. this will be a nice project, i don't care if it takes more money then i have planned, just extends the project, but i should be set with costs from what im seeing.

around $2g shipped from import, included trans, ecu and harness with 20-60k.

a lot cheaper if i find one local or even within the us.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-19-2011, 12:43 PM
nah. this will be a nice project, i don't care if it takes more money then i have planned, just extends the project, but i should be set with costs from what im seeing.

around $2g shipped from import, included trans, ecu and harness with 20-60k.

a lot cheaper if i find one local or even within the us.

add a god chunk of change for new gaskets, hoses, clamps, broken connectors, etc... Out of everything I have read, probably 85% of imported motors end up being rebuilt or at least getting all new hoses, belts, gaskets etc... These things sit in non-climate controlled warehouses or outside for YEARS. I would be even more careful after the Tsunami....

AutoMods
04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
you doing a turbo motor or non-turbo? is there swap motor and tranny mounts available or you have to custom make them?

sLoWnStEaDy
04-19-2011, 01:38 PM
you doing a turbo motor or non-turbo? is there swap motor and tranny mounts available or you have to custom make them?

Grannys Speed Shop makes a kit... VG30DETT was my first choice for an engine swap until I started looking into it more.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-19-2011, 02:18 PM
new tactic.

Clutchmuch, Do a vg30dett swap on your rx7. You should really do it, no matter how expensive. The more expensive the better.

lolz

clutchmuch: I will be honest, if you are thinking VG30, you might as well go LSx... I went SBF because I had the engine/trans already and that obviously saved me a bunch of money. Plus, I didn't want to do an LSx in that one because there is already a local LSx swap, turbo LSx swap at that and one hell of a clean car/swap too so I didn't want to be compared to it. :)

VG30 would be neat and MUCH more unique than an LSX but probably going to cost a lot more as well. As Ryan pointed out too, not many have done that swap so you'd pretty much be on your own. Lastly, you'd have to take the chance on an import motor or pay out the ass for a local one.

black88gt
04-19-2011, 05:17 PM
anyone want to call dibs on buying this stuff? you just have to wait 6 months to actually buy it

Drifte
04-19-2011, 05:51 PM
I was excited, I thought "sweet, when the rotary blows he'll sell me the shell cheap." lol, we'll see how the build proceeds.

DustinsDuster
04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
it seems like you're assuming an engine swap is a quick easy thing. The easiest thing would be just a known-running n/a rotary in the place of the engine you have in there. Any motor swap, regardless of how straight forward it is will still be quite the project. Depending on your experience, just getting another rotary in there alone can be some work.

qft!
qft!
qft!
qft!
qft!
qft!
qft!
qft!

AutoMods
04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
yeah been looking, their bookmarked on my computer. didn't find much though. haha, found a nice vg30

send me the links when you get a chance, i'm curious as to how they worked out . also don't assume the vg30dett will fit just because the vg30 fit. the turbos take up more space and from my short time reading today, the factory turbos don't fit with stock manifolds. so if you plan on turbos, might have to plan on custom made manifolds $$$$$.

the 2jz swap would be cool, thats been done more but still very rare. this one ran low 9's

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae35/Scottie-GNZ/front2.jpg

96-eclipse-gst
04-19-2011, 10:11 PM
add a god chunk of change for new gaskets, hoses, clamps, broken connectors, etc... Out of everything I have read, probably 85% of imported motors end up being rebuilt or at least getting all new hoses, belts, gaskets etc... These things sit in non-climate controlled warehouses or outside for YEARS. I would be even more careful after the Tsunami....

Keith is right on this, I will NEVER again order an imported motor. Absolutely every single hose needed replaced, all gaskets, oil pan came cracked. Thank god, in removing the oil pan, I found the oil was like pudding. Had to clean the pick up tube of thick pudding like oil before start up. Could've been bad.

85XR7Project
04-19-2011, 10:50 PM
I love how I tell him to look at the VG30DET out of a Z31 which would fit and the dipshit goes all out and looks for a VG30DETT DOHC out of a Z32 and all that fucking jazz. You wanna spend 2g's on a motor that you could have gotten a better/easier engine for go right on ahead. Shit mm, you could pick up a fucking z31 for 1g and strip the bitch for parts and sell what you don't need even that would be more intelligent. Im Starting to think that intelligence is something you lack

Clinical
04-19-2011, 11:21 PM
find a chrysler 2.7, swap that shit in and you'll have a BEAAAAAST

G50Trim92
04-19-2011, 11:37 PM
How about a 2JZ swap with nos like this one:

http://vipstylecars.com/blog/upload/media/2jzqj6.jpg

clutchmuch
04-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Not saying its going to be easy, or fast, or anything. and yeah i just noticed the kits on grannys are for vg30e's. so im going to go the slower route with just a vg30e or de, dont want to take chances with the TT or T and not have any room and 85xr7 i was looking at engines and decided to go with that like about the same time you posted your thing about the vg30's. not trying to undermine you or anything it just seemed more appealing to me. but now i realize clearance and fit will be a problem. but theres a guy selling a vg30e and a tranny for $200 in waterloo? seems sketchy for that price. but ill see what that engine is all about, miles,driven,problems..etc. idk if im going that way maybe look around for some other vg that looks more promising but i still need to see the motor in person. I love that 2jz swap with nas though :)

Drifte
04-20-2011, 08:08 AM
I got a carburated 350 with trans. Last time it was in a car it ran. All stock. Cheap and decent power.

85XR7Project
04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Probably your cheapest option there... Not that you would listen to any of us.

Clinical
04-20-2011, 10:43 AM
I got a carburated 350 with trans. Last time it was in a car it ran. All stock. Cheap and decent power.

You should really just do this.
In fact there's also a 350 / 700R4 down here locally that run and drive great for $400.

A 350 will be easy to mod, easy to work on, and simple all around. Still not super easy to swap in but I'm sure its been done and theres plenty of help for it.
But still, $400 vs 2k... just be smart about it especially since it seems you just want a fun car that you can have potential out of. Either way any swap will be unique. You'll still be either the only one or maybe one of two at a track with a swapped rx7

clutchmuch
04-20-2011, 12:48 PM

how much are you trying to sell it for?

sLoWnStEaDy
04-20-2011, 12:50 PM
You should really just do this.
In fact there's also a 350 / 700R4 down here locally that run and drive great for $400.

A 350 will be easy to mod, easy to work on, and simple all around. Still not super easy to swap in but I'm sure its been done and theres plenty of help for it.
But still, $400 vs 2k... just be smart about it especially since it seems you just want a fun car that you can have potential out of. Either way any swap will be unique. You'll still be either the only one or maybe one of two at a track with a swapped rx7

Actually, they are super easy to swap in! LOL, as are most engine swaps for these cars if you use a Hinsons or Grannys Speed Shop kit... Literally, everything just bolts right in, only "hard part" is wiring but my ford EFI was pretty simple and when I switched to carb, well, I think Landon could have wired that up!!

Drifte
04-20-2011, 02:05 PM
how much are you trying to sell it for?

I'll take $200 for it if you throw in a trade for the amp/sub you were selling ;)

clutchmuch
04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
I'll take $200 for it if you throw in a trade for the amp/sub you were selling ;)

need the box too? its kinda big don't know if it would fit in your truck haha. but i think ill go with your deal, ill have $200 by 530 today when this lady buys my tv. do you know the miles on the engine though? jw

Drifte
04-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I'll PM you.

Krumm
04-20-2011, 02:56 PM
woah wait a second. YOU dont have a 350, I do and i never said it or the tranny was for sale.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
woah wait a second. You dont have a 350, i do and i never said it or the tranny was for sale.

oh snap!

Ricky
04-20-2011, 03:05 PM
in his house for over 30 days.... its his now.

Clinical
04-20-2011, 03:17 PM
if they need to commit some sibling love, I know someone who just recently posted on FB about having a good running carb 350 and TH350 for like $400

clutchmuch
04-20-2011, 03:41 PM
hmm so what's up lol

Krumm
04-20-2011, 09:30 PM
your right eric, it is mine. because it hasn't left my shop since i brought it home last summer.

Asking me if im willing to sell something before throwing it out there goes along way. Now im pretty much just pissed off. And it wasn't running when it came out of the car. It had a "RV" cam put in and my uncle said he never got it timed so he told me to put a stock cam back in and time it and it would be up and going.

sooo cluctchmuch, PM me if you decide you want this.

clutchmuch
04-20-2011, 10:04 PM
your right eric, it is mine. because it hasn't left my shop since i brought it home last summer.

Asking me if im willing to sell something before throwing it out there goes along way. Now im pretty much just pissed off. And it wasn't running when it came out of the car. It had a "RV" cam put in and my uncle said he never got it timed so he told me to put a stock cam back in and time it and it would be up and going.

sooo cluctchmuch, PM me if you decide you want this.

well if its not running ill probably buy steadys whole setup. thanks though!

sLoWnStEaDy
04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
well if its not running ill probably buy steadys whole setup. thanks though!

pm'd you back on that...

AutoMods
04-20-2011, 11:01 PM
not to be rude, but your plans to run a different motor change everyday. anyone here with experience would know not to jump into a big choice such as motor and tranny selection with out at least a couple weeks research. there is things you really have to research with a swap like fuel lines , regulator , pump, cooling, power steering, ac, gauges, tuning, headers, exhaust, driveshaft, motor and tranny mounts, clutch lines, etc. on top of that you should know how much power these engines makes stock, how much power they can make before they need to be forged, how much they cost to upgrade, parts availabilty etc etc. dido on the tranny. also most fc rx7's have 4.10 rear ends, very low gear ratio and its not cheap to change. so if you get an auto tranny without overdrive your going to be revving the crap out of it on the interstate. don't you want to know this stuff before you invest your time and money?

I really don't think you know what your getting into. doing it on a budget makes it even harder. are you prepared to buy new aftermarket gauges when your factory mazda speedometer doesn't work with the new tranny, will the tach work, will the sending units for low oil and water temp be accurate? how will you address your factory warning lights not working like low oil or overheating? how will you read check engine lights? will the power steering pump on the swapped motor put out too much or too little pressure for the oem mazda steering rack? little things like that you have to consider, maybe if you add up the cost it might not be worth it to you. are you comfortable with dumping 4k into the car because I would think it would cost at least that for a cheap build. are you ok with having the car sit for 3-6 months??? do you have a nice clean fc that is worth doing all this work too?

if you run an efi engine your going to have to wire in the swap harness with the mazda harness and its nice to have online help available for that. hell...for my ls1, my engine wouldn't even start until I had the security bypassed in the ls1 computer because the damn thing knows its no longer in a camaro. things like that you need to know and read about before you start.

I could go on forever. I'm just trying to help. As far as I know you haven't even modded a car before and I don't want to see another failed project.

create a purchase list with all parts and prices. create a checklist on issues to address with a swapped car. post that stuff on here so you get an idea of what your looking at and we can chime in and help you.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-20-2011, 11:10 PM
not to be rude, but your plans to run a different motor change everyday. anyone here with experience would know not to jump into a big choice such as motor and tranny selection with out at least a couple weeks research. there is things you really have to research with a swap like fuel lines , regulator , pump, cooling, power steering, ac, gauges, tuning, headers, exhaust, driveshaft, motor and tranny mounts, clutch lines, etc. on top of that you should know how much power these engines makes stock, how much power they can make before they need to be forged, how much they cost to upgrade, parts availabilty etc etc. dido on the tranny. also most fc rx7's have 4.10 rear ends, very low gear ratio and its not cheap to change. so if you get an auto tranny without overdrive your going to be revving the crap out of it on the interstate. don't you want to know this stuff before you invest your time and money?

I really don't think you know what your getting into. doing it on a budget makes it even harder. are you prepared to buy new aftermarket gauges when your factory mazda speedometer doesn't work with the new tranny, will the tach work, will the sending units for low oil and water temp be accurate? how will you address your factory warning lights not working like low oil or overheating? how will you read check engine lights? will the power steering pump on the swapped motor put out too much or too little pressure for the oem mazda steering rack? little things like that you have to consider, maybe if you add up the cost it might not be worth it to you. are you comfortable with dumping 4k into the car because I would think it would cost at least that for a cheap build. are you ok with having the car sit for 3-6 months??? do you have a nice clean fc that is worth doing all this work too?

if you run an efi engine your going to have to wire in the swap harness with the mazda harness and its nice to have online help available for that. hell...for my ls1, my engine wouldn't even start until I had the security bypassed in the ls1 computer because the damn thing knows its no longer in a camaro. things like that you need to know and read about before you start.

I could go on forever. I'm just trying to help. As far as I know you haven't even modded a car before and I don't want to see another failed project.

create a purchase list with all parts and prices. create a checklist on issues to address with a swapped car. post that stuff on here so you get an idea of what your looking at and we can chime in and help you.

As of right now, he is planning to buy my whole "turn key" setup. All he would have to do is bolt it in, hook up a couple wires and she will be up and running. gauges and such are a different story but that is one reason I went with the SBF swap to begin with. Grannys Speed Shop lays it all out there, you can use stock gauges, stock sensors, sending units etc... pretty easy to fallow they tell you what wire (even the color) to hook to what, what sensor to use for what, what adapter pieces to buy for sending units etc...

I hope he goes this route, not only because I am selling him the stuff but because it is a "bolt in" deal that he gets to see/hear run/drive before he buys it and should make the swap process 10x cheaper and 100x easier. Plus, i know what it is like to be over ambitious and under educated/talented/paid. My first build took me like 2~ years because I did everything 2-3 times and probably tripled my original planned budget.

Of course, then I will have a rolling chassis so I am sure I will have to do something with it sooner or later. ;)

Domestic Disturbance
04-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Amen ryan. Also seems like your cars are just flavors of the week to you. If you are serious about dedicating a bunch of money into a car, I would hope you have a serious interest in that vehicle. I like a lot of different vehicles, but to actually dedicate a great deal of interest and passion (and money) takes a lot. I'm one to talk though, having 3 projects now...

85XR7Project
04-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Sad to see rx5.0 end that way but it does sound like a better option for him.

c_mart_28
04-21-2011, 08:21 AM
If it were me, i'd just find a way to trade keith your car and money for his whole car. Saves time, work, etc. Keep in mind that your car didn't start out as a TII, so on top of swapping his engine and trans, you'd want his rear end so you don't immediately explode your open differential'd unit. That's the direction i'd go.

clutchmuch
04-21-2011, 08:27 AM
If it were me, i'd just find a way to trade keith your car and money for his whole car. Saves time, work, etc. Keep in mind that your car didn't start out as a TII, so on top of swapping his engine and trans, you'd want his rear end so you don't immediately explode your open differential'd unit. That's the direction i'd go.

i don't know if he would go for that. maybe ill ask him. also whoever owned this previously also welded the rear diff lol. if im buying the setup for 1200 and he wants 2k for whole car, hmm haha got me thinking, but my guess is he would want cash since he has another project he wants to fund.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I'll probably keep chassis, finish the body work, clean up the interior a little more and slap something else in it sooner or later. I am not selling it to fund another project, well, not a car anyways...

unless yours is really clean. Mine only has like 40K on the chassis and doesn't have a spot of rust anywhere. body work is a mess right now but that is easy enough to remove/redo....

clutchmuch
04-21-2011, 08:42 AM
I'll probably keep chassis, finish the body work, clean up the interior a little more and slap something else in it sooner or later. I am not selling it to fund another project, well, not a car anyways...

unless yours is really clean. Mine only has like 40K on the chassis and doesn't have a spot of rust anywhere. body work is a mess right now but that is easy enough to remove/redo....

everything on my is rust free till you look underneath, somone thought it would be a good snow car or something. frame is good though! made sure of that. oh i thought you said you got a new project coming? if not a car what tis this project?

sLoWnStEaDy
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
everything on my is rust free till you look underneath, somone thought it would be a good snow car or something. frame is good though! made sure of that. oh i thought you said you got a new project coming? if not a car what tis this project?

House... Skyes mom didn't move to Oregon yet like she was suppose to (and we where going to get that house) so we said F* it and are buying a house in Solon for now. just want some buffer money and what not, plus, the yard needs fenced for the dogs so...

Well, I do have another car in mind but I need to throw the crate motor in the Fiero and at least get the floors done on the Mach One first so i can throw the interior back in it, slap the drive train in and get it running around before summer is over!

clutchmuch
04-21-2011, 09:05 AM
House... Skyes mom didn't move to Oregon yet like she was suppose to (and we where going to get that house) so we said F* it and are buying a house in Solon for now. just want some buffer money and what not, plus, the yard needs fenced for the dogs so...

Well, I do have another car in mind but I need to throw the crate motor in the Fiero and at least get the floors done on the Mach One first so i can throw the interior back in it, slap the drive train in and get it running around before summer is over!

oh, nice nice, didn't fieros get recalled at one point in time due to gas tanks igniting? and check your pms about price mix up lol that was my bad

sLoWnStEaDy
04-21-2011, 10:19 AM
oh, nice nice, didn't fieros get recalled at one point in time due to gas tanks igniting?

No... in 1984 they had a fiberglass cowl vent that sat right over top of the exhaust manifold. After a while, they would sag and on rare occasion, catch fire. It was only the 1984 that had that issue and it was actually a VERY rare problem, you know how things get blown way out of proportion....

You know, like the whole "run away Toyota" thing....

Drifte
04-21-2011, 11:10 AM
do'in the crank walk.
http://souljaboy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Soulja-Boy3.jpg

clutchmuch
04-22-2011, 08:02 AM
do'in the crank walk.
http://souljaboy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Soulja-Boy3.jpg

haha. but yeah i was just wondering because i heard something awhile. I love the cars though. ive also wanted an mr2.

e_101
04-22-2011, 12:46 PM
i didn't get a chance to read thru all 10 pages but i build know a bit about rotaries if you are still stumped.

One thing is Have you run a rotary specific comp test? you'll need a tester that doesn't have a check valve in it for this otherwise you wont get the correct info. for a pisition engine you only want the PSI value but for a rotary you have to count the cycles to see whats going on inside the motor.

sparkles
04-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Already covered.

clutchmuch
04-22-2011, 03:30 PM
i didn't get a chance to read thru all 10 pages but i build know a bit about rotaries if you are still stumped.

One thing is Have you run a rotary specific comp test? you'll need a tester that doesn't have a check valve in it for this otherwise you wont get the correct info. for a pisition engine you only want the PSI value but for a rotary you have to count the cycles to see whats going on inside the motor.

Currently its has all the fluid drained, radiator removed, still need to go get some masking tape to label hoses and wiring, exhaust removed, and should be ready to come out by sunday, that is if i have time on Saturday to get that done, and also if my neighbors engine lift is free :)

sLoWnStEaDy
04-22-2011, 06:19 PM
if your car was all running and turn key , how come you were selling your car as a non-running car ? Wouldn't it have been more profitable to just throw the carb, starter and exhaust back on yourself and sell it as running?

Whenever I see stuff for sale and the ad says "just needs a new xxxx" , I think to myself why doesn't he just put xxxx on it then. answer is usually because its needs a little more then just xxxx.

Chances are, if I get it going again, I will keep it, UNLESS i have it sold already. He is giving me like 1/2 down, I will slap it back together, get it running/driving and he will give me the other half and I will yank it all out.

for ONCE, I do agree with you though! I generally hate when people post shit like that but, in my case, there is a lot going on. If I go out there to work on it, I am losing money, I have ZERO free time right now and cannot justify working on it unless I have it sold. Which, I do now, well, the drive train anyways...