PDA

View Full Version : 315s on rear

Stutz
04-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Im possibly getting some new rims and tires and was wondering if 315s fit in the rear on a trans am without having to take the bump stops out and using a BFH. I think i remember reading they will fit on T/As because they have a wider fender well. I had 315s on the old 02 camaro and one of them rubbed over bumps that was with the bump stop and using a hammer.

warchild145
04-07-2011, 03:32 PM
The tires I have were bought from a guy who had them on his firehawk (2001-2002 i think?) He said he only had to massage (BFH mod) the inner wheel well in the front lower section slightly otherwise had no problems and I did the same on my 98 z28 Camaro. I never had any problems and never touched the bump stops. I hear some cars vary slightly though.

Domestic Disturbance
04-07-2011, 07:26 PM
As much as I've read I think it really comes down to some do, others don't; not car specific. Can depend on the tires too. Nittos run really narrow, where as goodyears sumitomo's etc are usually pretty fat. A lot of people run a small spacer too for 11 inch wide rear wheels but if its the factory offset they seem to poke out a little too much (for my tastes anyways). If you gotta hammer it just do it, no ones ever gonna look in your wheel wells and be like 'oh bfh mod ghetto' haha.

ZEE
04-09-2011, 12:30 AM
If you have an adjustable panhard rod that helps to center it better to rub a little less. I believe trans ams can run a different wheel offset than Camaros due to a little larger fender. 11 in. wide rims with Nittos (they run a little narrower than others) on my car rubbed slightly in the front part of the inner wheel well. Nothing a BFH didn't fix. after lowering it it rubbed worse and sometimes rubs outer lip when I have a full tank. I also had to cut the width of the bump stops in half. Otherwise with the wider wheels the bump stop is inside the inner lip pf the wheel. So if you ever have to jack up the rear the wheels will catch on the inside lip of the wheel instead of coming all the way down.

sparkles
04-10-2011, 11:15 AM
You need to order an adjustable PHB and center up your rear end. Some LCAs with the offset bushings would probably be a wise investment as well. UMI sells all 3 in a kit for a pretty reasonable price. I bought mine though Summit.

ZEE
04-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Don't need the Offset bushings unless your gonna tub it. Tire will be into the wheel well long before you're anywhere near the Lower control arms.

sparkles
04-10-2011, 07:57 PM
That makes no sense. If you're tubbing the rear, I'm pretty sure you're not going to use stock style LCAs. It's going to be a ladder bar or a 4 link. And unless there's something drastically different between a 4th gen and a 3rd gen, you're not going to have much room without having offset bushings. It's a pretty common deal on the 3rd gens when trying to fit 4th gen or Vette wheels on a 3rd gen. Granted, they are different wheel offsets, but the rear ends are also different widths. Trust me, I know. I've got 315s on C5 wheels on mine.

Domestic Disturbance
04-11-2011, 01:06 AM
I'd trust Jay on this one. He's been there, and as far as fourth gens go I've never read any need for offset LCA's for fitting 315s.

ZEE
04-11-2011, 05:00 AM
You can minitub it and still retain stock style suspension and gain more room for bigger tires. 4thgen and 3rdgen camaros are pretty different last I looked.

Deimos
04-11-2011, 06:10 AM
yeah 3rd gen's rule Jay

sparkles
04-11-2011, 07:06 PM
DD-I've been there too, hence my input.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UPI-201520-R/Application/?prefilter=1

Hmm...beings how we're talking about rear end suspension parts, sure seems like not a lot's changed. Please tell me other than the width for different wheel offset and ABS attachment, what's changed about the LCAs, panhard bar, torque arm, etc.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I never once said you absolutely need them. It's just a wiser choice if you're going to get LCA's anyway, which with nice wide tire, I would. They don't cost much more and allow some wiggle room.

ZEE
04-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Yes it is the same design but much different clearance issues between the two very different bodystyles. All I'm saying is offsets won't give you 'wiggle' room and and you don't need them to fit 315's on a fourth gen Camaro as per the original question.

sparkles
04-15-2011, 08:03 PM
All I'm saying is offsets won't give you 'wiggle' room
And all I'm saying is yeah they do
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/ericksonb06/TAs/91%20TA/DSC_2784.jpg
But hey, get the BFH out and go to town. Who the hell cares. This has turned into a pretty pointless argument. I'm not even really sure what your point is at this point. Mine was pretty clearly stated.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I never once said you absolutely need them. It's just a wiser choice if you're going to get LCA's anyway, which with nice wide tire, I would. They don't cost much more and allow some wiggle room.

Domestic Disturbance
04-17-2011, 12:42 PM
No one was really arguing. It was just a discussion, nothing personal. Calm down fool

sparkles
04-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Gooooosssee Blah Blah