PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Vendors?

Clinical
04-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Just wondering if anyone here mainly uses a couple vendors for their LS1's?

I usually like to find 1 or 2 vendors and stick with them + generally finding the right vendor ends up with some decent savings. With my DSM i generally stuck to Import Evolution / Map Performance - although a lot of stuff there I also bought used as more people part them than LS1's :P

Anyway if anyone has anything they like that has good customer service and have gone through with them a lot let me know, I just used jegs for my exhaust / lid on my camaro.

Domestic Disturbance
04-07-2011, 01:07 AM
I've always stuck with Texas Speed, Speed Inc, or Ws6 store (from iowa). Just ordered some stuff from byunspeed and took 2 weeks to get here.

AutoMods
04-07-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm slowing entering the ls1 market. I stock some spec and act clutches for ls1, 42,60, 80 lb injectors, gaskets, etc. I also deal Efilive tuning software and order quite a few parts in a couple days

Clinical
04-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Looks like I've been lookin in the right places then.
Sweet deal Ryan, you might as well too with everyone going domestic lol.

My main issue so far has been finding a single vendor that has everything I want at the right price as I'd like to order everything at once as I'm ordering a catback, y-pipe, headers, 4.10's, valvetrain, and a tsp 228r

LT1Dan
04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
I've always stuck with Texas Speed, Speed Inc, or Ws6 store (from iowa). Just ordered some stuff from byunspeed and took 2 weeks to get here.

To be fair I think that ship time was more an issue with UMI than Byunspeed. The parts were drop-shipped from UMI, Byunspeed never even had them. I've ordered a few other times from them and have always had decent shipping times.

Anyways, I've always had good experience with Speed Inc, Byunspeed and WS6Store. Even if I am buying for the wrong motor. lol

slow ride
04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Nothing special about a 228r cam from texas speed. It's just a single pattern 228 duration xe-r lobed comp cam with a set ICL/LSA. If it's going in a cam only setup you can get a little more dynamic compression from moving the ICL down. I'd just use a custom cam for your setup. If Ryan could deal in comp I could help you get something a little stronger.

Domestic Disturbance
04-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Ya I know what you're saying about liking to order from one place. The only reason I ever split up stuff is if there's a dramatic difference. Was just ordering a bunch of stuff from ws6store cause they had UMI stuff on sale, and then added it up on byunspeed with free shipping/smaller discount and saved like 50 bucks. Its worth looking around a little even though its frustrating.

Clinical
04-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah, WS6 store has a lot of the exhaust stuff I want for a good price, except the headers I want are $300 there and $250 on speed inc, stuff like that is what gets annoying cause its just not worth the extra $50 to me to order it from the same place. I like just waiting on one shipment, and not losing track of whats coming when/from where.

oVa-Boost
04-07-2011, 07:37 PM
if your going to dd it then i wouldnt go with 4.10 gears get like 3.73's or 3.90s and same with cam a buddy of mine had a thunder racing (228/228, .588"/.588", 112 LSA) in his old camaro and was a good streetable cam. Call around shops and they will tell you the same.

Speedinc, texas speed, thunder racing, speed engineering, speedtweekerz are all good vendors that i'v used and for n2o I go to Nitrous outlet very good nitrous vendor as well.

Clinical
04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Yeah it'll be heavily DD'd in nice weather..

I'm really not looking to become a drag car, just a fun street toy/cruiser. So I'll admit I'm looking for a good healthy sound but I still would like to end up with around 400whp
The 4.10 gears I'm pretty set on, I've read that with the 6speeds you just don't lose drivability with the 4.10s very much and 28+mpg is still very capable.

Domestic Disturbance
04-08-2011, 01:56 AM
I guess it depends on what you consider streetable. Theres some pretty potent cams out there that are very street friendly but still sizable lift. The streetsweet HT cam is a pretty good example. Its torque curve is amazing and seems to have pretty good street manners. Just comes down to the tune with most of them.

FiFdYnUtZ
04-08-2011, 07:42 PM
id love to give you some pointers here, but then again...why would i ruin another one of your precious threads?

Clinical
04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I guess it depends on what you consider streetable. Theres some pretty potent cams out there that are very street friendly but still sizable lift. The streetsweet HT cam is a pretty good example. Its torque curve is amazing and seems to have pretty good street manners. Just comes down to the tune with most of them.

Do you have a link to that cam? google didn't come up with much - sounds good though
The MS3 also looks like a good cam. I still have time to decide, first things first with full exhaust :)

ZEE
04-09-2011, 12:40 AM
The only time I ordered from ws6store I had to pay Ia sales tax. Didn't have to on out of state vender.

Batwood
04-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Just ordered some stuff from byunspeed and took 2 weeks to get here.

My catch-can took something like 20 days to arrive from the day I ordered it from Byunspeed. Coincidence?

...o wait, I don't own an LS-1... damn.

oVa-Boost
04-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah it'll be heavily DD'd in nice weather..

I'm really not looking to become a drag car, just a fun street toy/cruiser. So I'll admit I'm looking for a good healthy sound but I still would like to end up with around 400whp
The 4.10 gears I'm pretty set on, I've read that with the 6speeds you just don't lose drivability with the 4.10s very much and 28+mpg is still very capable.

4.10s + 10 bolt = explosion :)

Clinical
04-09-2011, 02:48 PM
4.10s + 10 bolt = explosion :)

Yeah I don't imagine my 10bolt will hold that long, especially once I'm making some actual power.
I don't intend on more than a couple launches. Hell I probably won't even have drag radials for awhile. I just want a 'quick' street car. I don't have money for full suspension so I need to decide what to go ahead and get for now. I was thinking panhard bar / LCAs

SledgeWS6
04-10-2011, 10:29 PM
I've ordered 95% of my stuff from WS6 store. They always seem to have a good sale going on and I don't mind supporting someone local-ish. Besides that, Texas-Speed, SpeedInc I've used. Brent Faulkner(SP?) for my graphics set.

My recent vendor has been Johnny B, ha.

Domestic Disturbance
04-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Yeah I don't imagine my 10bolt will hold that long, especially once I'm making some actual power.
I don't intend on more than a couple launches. Hell I probably won't even have drag radials for awhile. I just want a 'quick' street car. I don't have money for full suspension so I need to decide what to go ahead and get for now. I was thinking panhard bar / LCAs

Once you do start to hook, I'd get a torque arm too. I've broken 2 stockers in about 6 months driving time.

As far as gears go, you also want to consider where you want to end up speed/gear wise down the track and how tall of a tire you'll be running. 4.10s you'll be running out of gear at the top of 4th once you start to dig into the 11's

Clinical
04-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Ordered exhaust / lid from WS6Store monday morning, was here waiting for me when I got out of class today, amazing!

Domestic Disturbance
04-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Do you have a link to that cam? google didn't come up with much - sounds good though
The MS3 also looks like a good cam. I still have time to decide, first things first with full exhaust :)
Everyone has their opinions on cams, and with the option of custom grinds its pretty open world. But as for off them shelf proven cams these are pretty good. I was trying to have this guys spec me a cam and compare it to a few other off the shelf cams to see how close he was to what I was thinking... but anyways, here's what I could find real quick while at work. I like the streetsweeper (the HT's bigger brother) but its a little bigger. I think new era performance carries them.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/1399472-street-sweeper-cam-only-426whp.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/1277752-ls6-streetsweeper-ht-cam-only-440hp-409tq.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1372747-whos-running-ed-curtis-custom-grind-cam.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=13962700

Clinical
04-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah, the local 'go to' v8 guy is pointing me towards a custom grind cam.

My goal is just 400whp cam only, anything more is bonus :)

I'm also considering my next mod after the initial build being a 9" rear, they seem to be quite cheaper than the 12 bolts and I'm sure at my planned power level it'd be fine, much better than a 10bolt anyway.

APPLES355
04-14-2011, 01:10 PM
the streetsweeper with 236/240 is what we went with in my girlfriends car. right now we are breaking in the motor and headed for the dyno in early may. From what i have seen it is possible to be around 430 hp to the tires with ls6 intake, 243 heads (unported), and exhaust. I will let you know what it makes if you are interested.

our setup is ls6 intake, unported 243's, kooks headers and y-pipe, with magnaflow catback! i am hoping for the 430 mark and if anything a fast 90 is in the future.

Clinical
04-14-2011, 04:44 PM
yeah I'll be interested to hear if I haven't bought something by then. My car will likely be going under the knife in May sometime. As of now all I have is my catback and lid, I'm a click away from ordering my headers / y-pipe / motor mounts, which I'm only holding off on until I get payed back for a loan in about a week I gave to a buddy.

Domestic Disturbance
04-14-2011, 07:40 PM
ah I wish I was still gonna do my setup on the ls1 this summer. oh fiddlesticks

sparkles
04-16-2011, 08:44 AM
yeah I'll be interested to hear if I haven't bought something by then. My car will likely be going under the knife in May sometime. As of now all I have is my catback and lid, I'm a click away from ordering my headers / y-pipe / motor mounts, which I'm only holding off on until I get payed back for a loan in about a week I gave to a buddy.

You should wait and save your money for a TPI swap. They're super badass.